Advice for new e-bike riders

Philo47

If you are part of the boomer generation, you may be starting a whole new form of exercise and transportation using an electric bicycle. You are going to feel like you are 12 years old again... riding up hills like they do not exist, heading to your local coffee shop and parking at the front door, visiting friends you have not seen in years, etc. Suddenly, 20 miles on a bicycle are no big deal, right?
Well, ease up comrades, cuz your derrière is going to start barking.

Here is the cure:
1) Proceed to your local liquor store
2) Purchase a pint (375ml) of Crown Royal whiskey
3) Open box and remove bottle, which is wrapped in a soft velvetly bag. Put the bottle on your kitchen counter.
4) SAVE the bag. When you park your bicycle at the coffee shop, remove your e-bike computer display and put it in the soft bag (anti-theft device). Then you can put it in your backpack or trunk bag and it won't get scratched.
5) After returning from a 20 mile ride, park & lock bicycle.
6) Remove your shoes.
7) Proceed to kitchen.
8) Retrieve bottle of Crown Royal - pour 1.5 ounces (.5 ml) into glass and add ice, if you desire.
9) Sit in easy chair and elevate your legs.
10) Repeat step 8 until you feel numb.

Crown.jpg

The computer on my ebike does not come off. So it’s straight to the bottle for me.... :)
Got my Magnum Ui6 about two weeks ago. Been riding a recumbent trike for the last 5 Year’s. And yes, I get a load of hurt in my rear end!

I stretch a neoprene glove over my controllers if I am expecting rain while traveling with them and don't drink.

My display also is not removable. And I don't drink! But I do have a comfy cruiser-type seat, for which I also bought a gel seat cover. :)

8) Retrieve bottle of Crown Royal - pour 1.5 ounces (.5 ml) into glass and add ice...
Philo ...

You want us, poor benighted ebikers living in the twenty-first century world of millilitres, to pour (drip?) ourselves a tenth of a teaspoon of the good stuff while you knock it back at close on ninety times our rate! Oh, dearie me!

Well, at least we'll be able to repeat step eight 749 times before our bottles give out. Cheers, mate.

... David
1_5_ounce.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing about the Bosch controllers -- they are pretty darned weatherproof if you leave the display on the bike but if you remove it the exposed connectors are not weatherproof at all. So I try to have a small plastic grocery bag and some beefy rubber bands to wrap the display head when I remove the display.

I don't have very much confidence at all with respect to weatherproofness of any e-bike when it comes to salt water. So if you're taking a bike on a ferry ride, riding on a windswept beach, or riding in places where the roads are chemically treated during the winter be extra careful. If I am camping near a beach I wrap the whole display in that plastic bag.

I'll stick with a nice dirty martini... haven't been able to develop a taste for, or handle the taste of scotches or whiskeys. But as I'm riding first for exercise and weight loss, the last 14 weeks have been "dry" more or less, to save on calories ;)

Philo ...

You want us, poor benighted ebikers living in the twenty-first century world of millilitres, to pour (drip?) ourselves a tenth of a teaspoon of the good stuff while you knock it back at close on ninety times our rate! Oh, dearie me!

Well, at least we'll be able to repeat step eight 749 times before our bottles give out. Cheers, mate.

... David
View attachment 23161
guess i should not have fallen asleep in class ... !!

Back