A cooler (less warm) helmet?

christob

Hi; not sure of my helmet model (maybe "Max"; brand is Specialized) but it is pretty common, probably @$50 at the LBS? Has 15 cutouts / openings scattered across the top, and 6 in the rear--yet I feel like it is almost as warm as a winter hat, when I'm riding! And so far, my morning rides have been under 45°F, with my afternoon rides generally under 65°… I can't imagine how sweaty my head/hair will be when summer actually arrives, with this helmet...! :mad:
My head has always been a chimney... I never wear winter hats (just ear muffs) except in the most brutal cold because I'll just start sweating within minutes; even simply standing still in a hat, in the cold...
So I have been surprised that despite the 21 cut outs for airflow, my bike helmet instantly warms up my head… Perhaps a $50 "general" helmet with 21 cut outs simply isn't as well designed / engineered for airflow as a more expensive helmet… But I'm wondering what helmet options are out there, which are noted for either better airflow, or allowing head heat to escape more readily?

I use a helmet similar to this one. Got it at Dicks sporting goods. Around 25 bucks. Light, lots of air holes and not too goofy looking. I have one in white and one in black. When it’s very sunny out I wear the lighter one and it’s not as hot.

Attachments

• FEC9FD17-E08F-422D-88DA-9C7D07977F04.png
    FEC9FD17-E08F-422D-88DA-9C7D07977F04.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 518
Generally speaking, if you look at more expensive helmets, the vents are much larger. Sometimes the manufacturer also claims they place the vents for specific types of riding; road helmets for more flow-through ventilation, and MTB helmets for slower speeds.

Hey Nova, do you think that is more marketing strategy or fact? Some of the prices I see on things aside from helmets are really excessive. Your thoughts?

Honestly, I have no idea whether or not more expensive helmets are actually cooler. Myself, I sweat profusely, but I bought a helmet from Walmart because it was on clearance for $9.00 LOL (it's a $40 Bell). A more expensive helmet may fit better, since they usually come in three sizes instead of the one-size-fits-most like cheaper lids. Lastly, some helmets have MIPS, which are supposed to be better at protecting your noggin in certain types of crashes.

I got a free helmet with my Voltbike but my heads not circular so that didn’t work. I like the adjustable inner cage on the Giro helmet and it’s very light and not too pricey.

I also wear a Giro. I bought an expensive skull cap (dew rag) to wear under it. It wicks away the sweat, has a rubber strip on the forehead to prevent anything from running in my eyes, and keeps my balding head from getting an odd sunburn pattern.

I've had a Fox Flux MTB for +4 years. It has never felt too hot in southwestern summers of up to +100 degrees. The only issue I have in summer is when the occasional bug getting caught in the openings and I feel it crawling on my head. I add a skull cap when it gets cool in the spring/fall and wear balaclava in winter (or wear two balaclava when the temps gets as low as the mid teens).

Fox Helmet.jpg

I've had a Fox Flux MTB for +4 years. It has never felt too hot in southwestern summers of up to +100 degrees. The only issue I have in summer is when the occasional bug getting caught in the openings and I feel it crawling on my head. I add a skull cap when it gets cool in the spring/fall and wear balaclava in winter (or wear two balaclava when the temps gets as low as the mid teens).

View attachment 21044
I will second the Fox, it has very good ventilation at low speeds. It may cost more but is light weight and has easy adjustment for a good fil.

General consensus is a bike helmet's life, barring any accident, is only three years afterwhich the foam core begins to deteriorate. There should be a manufacture date in each of them as to when the helmet is made. Seems short but it may make a difference if involved in an accident.

General consensus is a bike helmet's life, barring any accident, is only three years afterwhich the foam core begins to deteriorate. There should be a manufacture date in each of them as to when the helmet is made. Seems short but it may make a difference if involved in an accident.

I didn't realize there was a shelf life to bike helmets. I just figured they are A-OK as long as you didn't have an accident with them?

I didn't realize there was a shelf life to bike helmets. I just figured they are A-OK as long as you didn't have an accident with them?

Don't listen to him.

"Helmet Impact Performance Proven to Hold Up for Decades"

https://helmets.org/up1505a.htm
https://helmets.org/replace.htm

I got a nice Specialized helmet from a Specialized store, for $40, half off, because it was last year's model. Try calling around local shops and asking if they have any on sale. I believe Abus is the only company selling helmets that are designed expressly for class 3/speed pedelec (28 mph) ebikes.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Back