72 Year Old Male Buying 1st eBike.

Some specifics on my situation:

Budget: Under $2500

Since It would be purchased online I am especially concerned about follow-up customer service.

I’m thinking Fat Bike Cruiser Style, but I am concerned about the amount of effort required for unassisted pedaling with fat tires

Motor at least 500watts

Would like that is capable of supplying over 700 watt hours.

Mid Entry Frame

Those are my thoughts thus far before any advice.

People who ride really fat tires don't usually even try to ride without boost. And instead of fussing about watts, tell the members what type of surfaces and terrain you want to ride, and your current riding skills and fitness. Lots of seniors on here who can help you. Happy hunting.

People who ride really fat tires don't usually even try to ride without boost. And instead of fussing about watts, tell the members what type of surfaces and terrain you want to ride, and your current riding skills and fitness. Lots of seniors on here who can help you. Happy hunting.
I will be riding mostly on streets and bike trails. The only riding skills I have are those I had as a much younger person. My fitness is good. I am in reasonable shape.

Some specifics on my situation:

Budget: Under $2500

Since It would be purchased online I am especially concerned about follow-up customer service.

I’m thinking Fat Bike Cruiser Style, but I am concerned about the amount of effort required for unassisted pedaling with fat tires

Motor at least 500watts

Would like that is capable of supplying over 700 watt hours.

Mid Entry Frame

Those are my thoughts thus far before any advice.

Regarding "effort required for unassisted pedaling", I can share this. There's a lot of concerning from folks regarding that going in to this, and most of it totally disappears after discovering it is a complete non event. The motor allows nearly any level of effort you feel like at any given point in time. From zero assist on up to whatever the bike is capable of. It's just a matter of developing some confidence in your bike.

Regarding follow up service, most of the popular OEM's are pretty good. Sure, it would seem there are a few exceptions, but you never know if you are hearing the ENTIRE story when somebody starts gripping. That aside, you do need to make a call early on regarding who is going to get theit hands dirty if/when the bike needs maintenance or other attention. Will that be you, or a (hopefully) near by shop? No assumptions here. You need to know this for sure. MANY shops won't work on anything but the bikes they sell, and many more have NO interest in e-bikes (for various B.S. reasons).

Last, my Rad has a capacity of about 14.5ah. That's good for an easy 35 miles with my riding style. I mention this as my butt only has a 20 mile range. Point here is extra capacity is not only expensive, it's also extra weight you'll be dragging around with you the entire time you own the bike. Fine if you can justify it, a waste if you can't. -Al (6'2"/315lbs/69 years old, and still reasonably active)

I will be riding mostly on streets and bike trails. The only riding skills I have are those I had as a much younger person. My fitness is good. I am in reasonable shape.
Much better. You say your from the US, but that not very specific. How about hills or headwinds? Flatland or mountains? City or rural? I'm closer to 70 than 60 and just ride for fun, so I assume you don't intend to ride in lousy weather, commute daily, or haul groceries, for example.

Have you ridden any ebikes? ... If not, maybe you could rent one for a day or a weekend and ride it on some similar streets and trails. Most bike shops have loaners they rent out, and that can really help you see what you like and what size you need ... I personally don't care for online only sales for any big ticket items, but many on here claim good experiences with online only bikes, just be sure you can return it. Rad, Juiced, and Ride1Up all have very active dtc forums here, as well as Trek, Giant, Specialized for bike store bikes.

Some almost new but highly discounted options. Both are mid-drives.

Since you said you were looking for a fat tire bike, there's an early bird special on a new fat tire bike called Espin Nero. It's $999 for now, $100 more for the premium kit which includes racks and more, for October delivery. It's very much like the Radrover step-through. I considered one myself. Here's the thread where it was discussed:

Just curious - why are you thinking fat tire for the types of surfaces you say you'll be riding? My understanding is fat tires are primarily for sandy/beach/loose surface riding...

I have this bike:

Tires are a bit fatter than normal road bikes, but not extreme. The bike has plenty of power for hills, and rides very comfortably. I've had it in roads, paved trails, and packed dirt and gravel - has handled everything I've ridden, quite well!

Getting your hands on just about any bike is going to be tough right now, so good luck with your search - prepare to be patient!

If you want a simple cheap easy to ride bike for your neighborhood and trails a lot of people like the Lectric XP. They have a step thru model. Some people have had some QC issues but customer support seems good.. Other popular not expensive bikes are rad runner, ride 1up 500(step thru), Espin Flow and Aventon bikes. Agree The new Espin Nero looks nice is you want fat tires. Recommend you get a bike with name brand parts and battery and a warranty. EBR has some good reviews and recommendations. Step throughs are much easier to mount and dismount and to handle the heavier e bike.

I suggest going to your LBS and test ride. Depends on your budget, the type of riding you'll do, and if you want LBS support.
I agree with this statement. What I can tell you is that what I thought I wanted after a lot of research, reading reviews and studying specifications of various models was completely different than what I chose after a couple of test rides at my LBS. I am now in my third season of riding my ebike and am still very satisfied with what I purchased. I am glad I did not follow my early impulses purely from online research. A few test rides could save you from some buyer's remorse.

I agree with this statement. What I can tell you is that what I thought I wanted after a lot of research, reading reviews and studying specifications of various models was completely different than what I chose after a couple of test rides at my LBS ... A few test rides could save you from some buyer's remorse.
And I had the same experience AlanDB. I read up on rearhub motor, big battery, 20 inch wheel folders, and bought a pair of Comos 😁

First of all, I think it’s wonderful how active and informative this forum is. I appreciate everybody’s input.

I do have one question. People suggest going to a LBS to test ride before making a decision.

On the other hand, it seems buying online gets you more for your money.

Doesn’t it seem a little murky to do all of the research at your LBS and then go buy online? I feel a little uncomfortable with that.

Thoughts?

First of all, I think it’s wonderful how active and informative this forum is. I appreciate everybody’s input.

I do have one question. People suggest going to a LBS to test ride before making a decision.

Doesn’t it seem a little murky to do all of the research at your LBS and then go buy online? I feel a little uncomfortable with that.

Thoughts?
I would only test ride bikes I was considering. Ebikes are all different and riding a Trek won't help you buy a Rad or Aventon, etc...

I would visit the LBS and let them have a chance to sell you on their bikes, service and selection of accessories. If you want, take a test ride. You might end up willing to spend more for the convenience and expertise.

Thoughts?

I like/fully endorse including your local bike shop (LBS) in your early searching/info gathering, BUT, if you plan on doing your own service work, that LBS becomes just an option, not a necessity in your final bike selection.

As mentioned earlier, you really need to know

1. Who's getting their hands dirty when the bike needs attention
and
2. Do any of the local shops handle/work on ebikes
and finally
3. Would this local shop be interested in working on an e-bike they did not sell.

Those 3 calls need to be made prior to even considering buying a bike direct.

Thoughts?
I would not go ask for a ride on a $9000 bike that I would never buy, however I would certainly give the locals a shot at your budget point or a bit more ($2500 ...$3000?). They may very well have something, and unless you are a bike mechanic, you will need to work with them anyway. If you were scraping the bottom (at under $1000 say), I would not suggest a test ride ... Just send your money to Amazon and hope.

I would only test ride bikes I was considering. Ebikes are all different and riding a Trek won't help you buy a Rad or Aventon, etc...

I would visit the LBS and let them have a chance to sell you on their bikes, service and selection of accessories. If you want, take a test ride. You might end up willing to spend more for the convenience and expertise.
Support your LBS!!

Thoughts?
I would not be commiting myself to buying online until after I had ridden at least a few different bikes in person. You don't know whether you're going to be comfortable with a bike's geometry, balance, weight distribution, or power placement (hub VS mid-drive) until you try it out for yourself. Especially if you haven't ridden in awhile.

My bike was $1600 on sale ($1999 regular price), and considering the quality of the components, it checking all my boxes, and the great support of my LBS, I can't imagine having gotten a better deal. Price isn't everything 😉.

Back