72 Year Old Male Buying 1st eBike.

I didn't buy my ebike to save money. I bought it for fit, power, quality and to ride. If you do not enjoy riding the bike because of poor fit, lack of power or lack of quality, it will be a waste of money. I just had to replace the power cord from the battery to the motor/controller. The LBS ordered it and installed it for $27.00 total. It took less than a week to get it.

I did spend more than most, but I'm not saving our money for the kids. I ride a Specialized Turbo Levo.

First of all, I think it’s wonderful how active and informative this forum is. I appreciate everybody’s input.

I do have one question. People suggest going to a LBS to test ride before making a decision.

On the other hand, it seems buying online gets you more for your money.

Doesn’t it seem a little murky to do all of the research at your LBS and then go buy online? I feel a little uncomfortable with that.

Thoughts?
At minimum you can try out the different types of motors and frames which will give you a better idea of the type of bike you like. The big 3 all use mid drives from Bosch, Yamaha, or Brose. The less expensive hub drives like Aventon, Ride1Up, Rad Power are a completely different experience.

Ride demo bikes. I hate my fat bike. If I'd ridden first, it would never have been purchased. It's being scrapped for parts. A tank without a canon. A ride without any soul.

I prefer crank forward (flat foot) step-through frames with 2.00"-2.35" wide tires.

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 1.41.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 1.43.02 PM.png

Ride demo bikes. I hate my fat bike. If I'd ridden first, it would never have been purchased. It's being scrapped for parts. A tank without a canon. A ride without any soul.

I prefer crank forward (flat foot) step-through frames with 2.00"-2.35" wide tires.

View attachment 60902View attachment 60903
Electra agrees with you ... and they are one of the top sellers of mech. bikes in the USA. Maybe they know something ...

Welcome to EBR John, you came to the right place. People here are very helpful. I am approaching 75 and in reasonably good shape and condition. Last year I purchased an Aventon Pace 500. It’s a class 3 bike and extremely powerful. After initially riding it, I felt that, maybe I should have gotten a less powerful bike. Shortly after familiarizing myself with the bike, I was and still am happy with it.
There is a lot of bike for the money. You have to respect power of any ebike. They are not toys and I think Simon
Cowell found out the hard way. Do your homework and good luck.

Electra agrees with you ... and they are one of the top sellers of mech. bikes in the USA. Maybe they know something ...
My first two e-bikes were Electra Townies with hub drive kits added. One for the wife, which I got first, which I adapted for her medical condition ( foot drop due to MS). I liked her bike so much I did the same type of setup for myself. This was in 2011 and I still have mine.

I just got a new bike, mainly due to changing riding requirements. I wanted to ride more trails and even some simpler single track downhill. The Townie was not the right bike for that.

To the OP, to make a long story short, for what you're describing as your planned riding locations, go find an Electra Townie and take it for a test ride. I'd be surprised if you were not suitably impressed with the rideability and comfort.

One caveat - hills on a crank forward geometry bike like a Townie is a bit different. It's difficult to stand on the pedals and you end up pulling on the handlebars. It's not a big deal, but it is a different feel. With PAS however, you normally just stay in the seat and peddle, that's the beauty of an e-bike.

My first two e-bikes were Electra Townies with hub drive kits added. One for the wife, which I got first, which I adapted for her medical condition ( foot drop due to MS). I liked her bike so much I did the same type of setup for myself. This was in 2011 and I still have mine.

I just got a new bike, mainly due to changing riding requirements. I wanted to ride more trails and even some simpler single track downhill. The Townie was not the right bike for that.

To the OP, to make a long story short, for what you're describing as your planned riding locations, go find an Electra Townie and take it for a test ride. I'd be surprised if you were not suitably impressed with the rideability and comfort.

One caveat - hills on a crank forward geometry bike like a Townie is a bit different. It's difficult to stand on the pedals and you end up pulling on the handlebars. It's not a big deal, but it is a different feel. With PAS however, you normally just stay in the seat and peddle, that's the beauty of an e-bike.
Other good things about an electric townie is that they are sold in Trek shops and are often rented there, so you can ride a couple of different frames frrom Trek and Electra at one shop. Lots of dealers.

Back