Xpedition Auxiliary Battery

Mango1234

Region
USA
I had two Dorado batteries I wanted to use on my Lectric Xpedition so I built this:

Dorado.jpg

I unplugged the rear OEM battery holder and plugged in the Dorado. It's working great, my 17.5Ah Dorado plus one of the original batteries went 50% further than the two original batteries. I then have two more batteries I can swap in. The Dorado battery holder comes with short flying leads so I butt spliced in half of an xt60h extension cable. I damaged the original grommet, the new one is much beefier. I shrink wrapped then spiral wrapped the new wiring. I replaced the bolts that came with the clamps with carriage heads for more clearance.
Here are the parts I used:

That's a good idea. 👍🏻👍🏻
I struggled with trying to carry a second Dorado battery for over a year.
I ended up with a speed wobble/shimmy with the battery mounted to my rear rack, then my rack broke off.

I looked at that Biktrix battery mount but it was too big to fit on my top tube and I'd have to figure out how to attach it securely.
I ended up molding Polymorph Plastic into brackets attached to my top tube,..

20240807_125756.jpg

It looks like crap right now, but I intend to trim the brackets and paint them black this coming winter.
It's working great, but I have to stand on my toes to clear the battery.
I've landed on my jewels a couple of times already. 😂

Now I need a padded case for the spare Dorado battery. I have the padded shipping box it came in, but it's too big to fit in my storage tote.
This is heavier and more money than I want to spend:
1726797882011.png

I had a trunk bag mounted to my rear rack.
My 18" Dorado battery fit nicely inside the bag,..

Screenshot_20240919-232307_Amazon Shopping.jpg

There are padded battery bags available too, but they don't have a hard case,..

Screenshot_20240919-233032_AliExpress.jpg

There are hard shell battery cases too, but I couldn't find one that was 18" long,..

Screenshot_20240919-233838_AliExpress.jpg

Last edited:
I had two Dorado batteries I wanted to use on my Lectric Xpedition so I built this:

View attachment 182703
I unplugged the rear OEM battery holder and plugged in the Dorado. It's working great, my 17.5Ah Dorado plus one of the original batteries went 50% further than the two original batteries. I then have two more batteries I can swap in. The Dorado battery holder comes with short flying leads so I butt spliced in half of an xt60h extension cable. I damaged the original grommet, the new one is much beefier. I shrink wrapped then spiral wrapped the new wiring. I replaced the bolts that came with the clamps with carriage heads for more clearance.
Here are the parts I used:

Nice build! It should give you a significant range boost.

Do you notice any difference in bike balance with the battery weight on one side?

One minor improvement I can suggest is to round off the corners of that aluminum angle bracket. I know from experience that you will eventually catch clothing or even your leg on it, especially if you take a spill.

Now I need a padded case for the spare Dorado battery. I have the padded shipping box it came in, but it's too big to fit in my storage tote.
This is heavier and more money than I want to spend:
View attachment 182706
Yeah, these padded cases can get expensive but so are the batteries. Safety during transport is also a consideration. I consider it insurance and use these cases from Nanuk:

81gQ0ENs9ZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Many sizes are available. I can fit 2 or 3 batteries in the same case. I save some money by buying them empty and adding cheap egg foam for padding. There's even room for a charger:

P1070667a.jpg
P1070670a.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I don't feel any balance issues due to the battery being on one side. I would like to attach my other Dorado on the opposite side on long trips to keep the weight low. The bike is harder to get up on the kickstand because of the extra weight and the small tires.
I have hit my leg on that corner once and I do plan to round it. I have yet to try the rear Plus 1 chair for clearance.

1726836380561.png

I was looking at battery bags and zeroed in on that orange one. The packing foam from the original box should fit inside that bag.

Attachments

• 1726836359980.png
    1726836359980.png
    356.1 KB · Views: 15
I got the orange battery bag. It fits the Reention Dorado ID Plus battery plus the original shipping foam plus a charger perfectly. It fits snug in my 21 gallon tote that fits in the Xpeditions Orbiter rear rack

Attachments

• Battery Bag 1.jpg
    Battery Bag 1.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Battery Bag 2.jpg
    Battery Bag 2.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 10
Back