TCU warranty only 2 years on the Vado SL

BikeOn

Hi all, just wanted to alert folks who may not be aware that the TCU in a 2020 Vado SL 5 is only warranted for two years. Mine recently stopped working, so the bike would not turn on. Have not ridden it a whole lot in the last two years, but really enjoyed it previously. So when I tried to turn it on three days ago, I thought it was due to the software issue and the recent new app. Took it is the Spec dealer today and learned about the 2 year warranty. The part is only $120... but irregardless this is a $5000 bike and to build a bike with an essential mechanical part only warrantied for that period is, IMHO ridicules. The Specialized dealer tried to tell me when you buy a new car, you have to replace the batteries and oil at some point. My response was laughter, as those are consumable products. No comparison. His response was two years is 'industry standard'. My bike is kept indoors and is well taken care of. Then to give me a mere $20 off a new part they wanted me to produce my original receipt, (from 2020; which is in a storage container in my hot garage), even though it was both registered with my original receipt and been serviced at their store many times. And my levo was purchased at their store. I asked what the reason was for the failure "there could be multiple reasons", was the reply. I asked how many of these they've replaced - Response: "Not sure exactly - but several". Just ridicules. If you want a super light e bike the Vado SL is (or was) in a class of it's own. Why we all let corporations like this, sell us a $5000 product and don't expose this kind of poor business practice is beyond me. Guess that's I why I am posting this. Thanks for listening.

Did you replace the button battery in the TCU?
I may have the names wrong - but the computer thing that rests on the handlebars has a button battery and that is being replaced. The thing (I think the TCU) with the button you push to turn the bike on - is what I am calling the TCU... The Specialized repair guy tried to turn it on, and of course it wouldn't work. He took it apart - and couldn't get it to work. He replaced it with a shop unit and it worked. I think he mentioned something about a battery - but that wasn't the problem according to him. It was a faulty TCU. They didn't have one in stock, so have to get from another store. He also said it had nothing to do with the new App. As far as I know he broke the thing, when he was taking it apart. Truthfully he was the rudest bike service guy I have ever dealt with, so my post may be a bit accusatory. Finally the "nicer" guy took over and handled the order and paperwork. If I did something to break this part that is one thing, but I don't beleive that is the case. Also I heard the "nice" guy say to the other shop that mine was the orginal first gen one, when he placed the order and not the newer version. I don't know what that means - I just hate having parts like this, that depend on a dealer to replace, go bad. Esp when It appears to me to really just be a poor design/production issue. Just IMHO.

The thing (I think the TCU) with the button you push to turn the bike on - is what I am calling the TCU... The Specialized repair guy tried to turn it on, and of course it wouldn't work. He took it apart - and couldn't get it to work. He replaced it with a shop unit and it worked. I think he mentioned something about a battery - but that wasn't the problem according to him. It was a faulty TCU.
All the symptoms indicate the button battery in the TCU you mention was spent and should have been replaced.
  • The e-bike is four years old
  • It was not ridden for two years
  • The TCU would not turn on so Vado SL would not turn on either
  • The replacement TCU in the LBS had an operable button battery in it.
There was no single report of a broken TCU in these Forums since Vado SL was first released but many users replaced the CR1620 battery in the TCU:
Replacing The Coin Battery In the Specialized SL TCU Gen 1

I think the LBS man is not qualified, so he took the path of least resistance and told you to pay for a new TCU. (I'm sure he even didn't have the CR1620 at hand!) This way, instead of paying $3 for the new battery, you were told to pay 120.

I promise you the TCU is not broken; you have been cheated.
------------------------
but the computer thing that rests on the handlebars has a button battery and that is being replaced.
You mean the TCD display. Yes, the coin battery in that unit is replaceable, too, but the TCD does not interfere with the e-bike system while the TCU is as vital as the motor is.

You can still fix your Vado SL for chicken money. No reason to bash Specialized or its premium electronics.

All the symptoms indicate the button battery in the TCU you mention was spent and should have been replaced.
There was no single report of a broken TCU in these Forums since Vado SL was first released but many users replaced the CR1620 battery in the TCU:

I think the LBS man is not qualified, so he took the path of least resistance and told you to pay for a new TCU. (I'm sure he even didn't have the CR1620 at hand!) This way, instead of paying $3 for the new battery, you were told to pay 120.

------------------------

You mean the TCD display. Yes, the coin battery in that unit is replaceable, too, but the TCD does not interfere with the e-bike system while the TCU is as vital as the motor is.

You can still fix your Vado SL for chicken money. No reason to bash Specialized or its premium electronics.
Don't think I was bashing. I do think a simple part like this on a $5000 bike should last much longer than 2 years... their warranty.

------------------------

Stefan, let me clarify.... the bike had been ridden in the last two years - just not as frequently. ..."Have not ridden it a whole lot".... sorry if my phrasing was misleading. I had ridden it about 6 weeks prior and I did notice then that when I tried to turn it on, it didn't come on, (headlight came on, but then went off), but when I rode it out the front door of my house, hit a few bumps, it came on. I was thinking maybe a short or ? I do think at some point that battery had been changed, because I was aware there was something under that button. Hard to remember every little thing. While I was standing at the service counter and the 'rude' guy was looking at it, another rider came in and complained about his TCU going off while riding. The "nice" service guy asked him about his battery, etc... he changed the guys battery - $5, and he was good to go. So obviously they know that there is a battery there. However I did not ask the "rude" service guy who was working on my bike intitially if he checked the battery. I will call the shop today and make sure that was done. I also suspect they will charge me for a new battery as well. Does that normally come with a new TCU? I should clarify this is a Specialized Shop. Frankly every question I asked was respoded with some vauge response that was total BS. Hard to make progress with that kind of guy. I usually get my bike serviced at a less expensive shop and save computer type things for the "real" specialized shop, which charges an arm and leg to kick your tires. I appreciate your information that there have been no other reports of the part going bad. Honestly I thought this was an issue with the new app and the two not hooking up, or it being on some sort of lock mode. While I am pretty good about making what repairs I can on my bike, like many I do rely on the intregrity of the LBS, and particularlly the Specificalized shop for these kinds of thing. I also do not think expressing negative opinons about warranties and poorly made components is "bashing" Specialized. All products have pros and cons, I rely on owners to be honest about their issues, it benefits us all. I also do not consider $120 +/- to be chicken money. The associated hassle of loading it up on my rack and driving to the shop, and dealing with leaving it and then retrieving it, is a big negative. I hear you, about they may be scamming me. Sadly the thought of that is more of a negative then the money. This shop use to be staffed with riders - From my observation the crew in there now does not have the knowledge and expereince base of the previous staff. I guess that is the reality of retail. Thanks for your input.

Just to make the matters clear:

If you are riding a Vado SL regularly, on some day you will notice alternating blue and red LEDs on the TCU.

1725476040112.png

The Error 6 is for the low coin battery in the TCU.

In case you have not ridden your Vado SL at the critical time, the coin battery might get flat meanwhile, and the TCU and the e-bike would appear dead.

Now, the new coin battery is inserted at the factory. CR1620 has a very long shelf life, so it is "as new" when you buy the e-bike. The coin battery would last for 1-2 years with the intensive use, and for longer when the Vado SL is ridden rarely. Therefore, I suspect your CR1620 simply went flat, and you had a bad luck talking to the "bad" guy. Please give the LBS a call and ensure they actually tried replacing the TCU coin battery.

What I said is the simplest explanation. Of course, I do not deny the unit could simply broke but that would be a very rare situation. Motors sometimes do fail. Batteries wear out. The TCU? Why?

I do agree with you that the LBS personnel and its work ethos are critical. We had perhaps two very irritable members of this Forum who -- in my opinion -- were mishandled by their LBS and put all the blame on Specialized...

I agree. My display looks a bit different. Maybe first gen? The knowledgable repair guy did check what you are referring to on the bike that the other rider came in with. My service guy - did press a few things on mine, but he was non communicative, and but I went back out to the car to get my RE's so he may have done some test functions that I didn't see. Anyway I will post the outcome when I get the bike back on Friday.

Got my Vado SL 5 back from the shop yestereday. According to the Specialized shop the TCU was bad - I was assured the battery in the TCU had been checked, even though I didn't witness it and that the battery was not the issue. The new TCU was about $130 including taxes. While there I got a new chain, cassette, rotor and rear brakes. Got some things adjusted and am ready to roll. Total including tax and TCU was $414. California price. 15 mile ride today was sweet. Also I noted a few posts about the Range Extender settings on the new mission control app, and a question about how to set it to consume the RE first while riding. That setting is on the new app - under Bicycle settings. They updated the software on all three o fmy RE's and I used that setting for my ride today and it worked as expected.

Back