Tried a ride today on private land using just a throttle

I don't use my throttle that much. Most of the times I use my throttle are to supplement my pedal power for faster acceleration (Example: 0-20 mph max speed across an 4-6 lane intersections) or a little extra power near the crest of a very steep hill crest. The throttle did save me from walking my ebike home several miles when I lost the pedal crank bolt and then the crank at 5am (found the crank; but, not the bolt).

Yes, If I ever ride at constant speed for extended periods, which is very rare for me, my thumb starts to ache.

The only reason I wanted to use a throttle was to start from a stop without downshifting. I couldn’t see wanting one with a rohloff or automatiq that can downshift automatically at a stop. Alternatively maxing out assistance can help with the initial push off. Just my 2 cents.

In the USA, there are no laws that require us to use throttles in the dark of night to avoid arrest, but I agree that part of the fun in biking is the pedaling. I'll understand the needs of those who are physically unable to pedal, or those who are using the bike for transport.

Having a throttle installed in a country such as the UK is like having a gun without the permission but only firing it at the shooting range :)

Unless there is long, sustained climbing my pedal assist is off most of the time. Between that and in Eco mode I can easily do a century.

I use my throttle every day.... Mostly so I can report so here and piss people off 🙃
If I used my bike more for commuting or for errands I'd feel less guilty about using a throttle. I ride for fitness and pleasure and typically try to use as little assist as possible.

When I see an e-biker using throttle only I just assume that they have 10 DUI'S and are unable to be licensed for a motor vehicle ;)

Neither of my bikes has a throttle.

If I used my bike more for commuting or for errands I'd feel less guilty about using a throttle. I ride for fitness and pleasure and typically try to use as little assist as possible.
That's how/why I ride as well.
When I see an e-biker using throttle only I just assume that they have 10 DUI'S and are unable to be licensed for a motor vehicle ;)
I see them as well... I have no idea why, nor am I concerned.
Neither of my bikes has a throttle.
Both of mine do, and I'll never own a bike that doesn't. If you understood how useful it can be in certain situations, you may change your mind.
A bike that has a throttle can do all, and be riden exactly as one without... but that's not a two way street.

Last edited:

Interestingly, here in Ontario, if you lose your drivers license for a DUI, you are not allowed to ride an ebike.

And the lady at the Beer Store said that I could lose my drivers license if I'm caught drunk on ANYTHING with wheels. My skateboard included.

I could actually lose my drivers license if I was drunk and wearing Healies.

Screenshot_20240508-050329_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I'm not sure, but if I were to get a DUI on my ebike, but didn't have a drivers license, I may still be able to ride my ebike? (Maybe after a night in the drunk tank. 😂)

I commute on my bike. I admit, sometimes I’m tired or have a full belly and pedaling is hard.I’ve used the throttle for over half of my 4 mile commute….the uphill and flat parts. Only when I see traffic is safe. I wouldn’t want to ride mirror to mirror with any vehicle.

Other times, I pedal at PAS 2-3. Throttle at take offs. Nice workout. I enjoy that too.

I saw a 30's-year-old guy riding an e-fat bike yesterday, only using the throttle on the flat which is illegal here.
Yes it is but only the squids and stupid who ride like morons (which they usually are) therefore attracting the wrong kind of attention.
Troll thread perhaps but WGAF its your ebike ride it with/without a throttle its not written we shall PAS only.
BTW heaps of ebike sold in AU have throttles and they are allowed to 6klm/h which is the same as walk mode.

BTW heaps of ebike sold in AU have throttles and they are allowed to 6klm/h which is the same as walk mode.
It is not possible to ride in the Walk Mode though.
(It is because the Walk Mode only works when the e-bike is being walked. It is different for the throttle).

Last edited:
Troll thread perhaps but WGAF its your ebike ride it with/without a throttle its not written we shall PAS only.

Have you read the document I linked to? It reflects the legal requirements in Western Australia, where I am. I also suggest a read of the Road Traffic Administration Act 2008 (WA) regulation 3, Road Traffic Administration Act 2008 (WA) section 4 and Road Traffic (Administration) Regulations 2014 (WA) regulation 4 or your State's relevant Act(s) and Regulations. If you have actual authoritative evidence to the contrary, please do share. I am most interested to read it.

As to e-bikes sold ... what relevance does that have to the road rules? eBikes can be sold to be ridden off-road and/or on private land. That does not change the law as to road use.

1715243986265.png

Source: https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/road-safety-commission/cyclists#ebike-rules

Back