Choosing a bike. Help!

Rdecker664

Region
USA
I have been trying to select my first ebike and have gotten to the point of having analysis paralysis! I am looking for the SUV of bikes that would be primarily used on pavement but can also go on trails. I was about to purchase the Frey CC but don’t really care for step thru bikes. I would rather have a step over mtb style bike but one that would be comfortable to ride for a longer period of time. I‘m assuming that I would want a bike where I would sit more upright but am having trouble deciphering bike geometry to determine what bike rides more upright and what bike will have me more hunched over which wouldn’t be as comfortable. The only bike I’ve been able to try out was the Specialized Turbo Tero X but they want $6500 for the 6.0 which I have a very hard time justifying, especially when I can get many other bikes with high quality components and the Bafang Ultra motor with throttle for far less. Anyone’s and everyone’s opinions and insight would be greatly appreciated.

I can get many other bikes with high quality components and the Bafang Ultra motor with throttle
The "high quality" is wrong in this context :)

Name a high quality low price Chinese SUV you would like to drive.

The “high quality” I was referring to are some of the components used on the bike such as RockShox suspension and Magura brakes. As I had mentioned I was looking at the Frey CC as well as the AM1000 V6 and both appear well built, though on the heavy side. I was just trying to get feedback on other possible brands that others may own or have experience with.

I'd suggest knowing what you want from a bike is more important than motor, at the beginning stage:

The geometry you want/need is key, based on how you plan on riding.

This would also inform whether you need as opposed to want full suspension vs front or rigid.

This will help whittle down your choices considerably.

THEN start considering things like components, motor type, and whether you want a throttle or not.

Frey make some killer bikes, if you like the CC but dont like stepthroughs why not just go for an EX, you could always add some raised or riserbars after market if you want to sit more upright. I think you were on the right path with Frey!

I’m biased of course, but look at the Ride1Up cafe cruiser. It has name brand parts, works well on pavement and gravel/dirt trails. Upright posture, high weight capacity, comes with a very solid welded-on rear rack. 3” tires. Available in step-over and girlie style, which i have cuz of age & arthritis.

I have been trying to select my first ebike and have gotten to the point of having analysis paralysis! I am looking for the SUV of bikes that would be primarily used on pavement but can also go on trails. I was about to purchase the Frey CC but don’t really care for step thru bikes. I would rather have a step over mtb style bike but one that would be comfortable to ride for a longer period of time. I‘m assuming that I would want a bike where I would sit more upright but am having trouble deciphering bike geometry to determine what bike rides more upright and what bike will have me more hunched over which wouldn’t be as comfortable. The only bike I’ve been able to try out was the Specialized Turbo Tero X but they want $6500 for the 6.0 which I have a very hard time justifying, especially when I can get many other bikes with high quality components and the Bafang Ultra motor with throttle for far less. Anyone’s and everyone’s opinions and insight would be greatly appreciated.
I decide to go for the Cube Supreme Hybrid EXC 625, commuting now a week and realy like it

I run my Giant Stance E+2 pretty much as SUV. Long rides, shopping, trails, etc.

Nice Dave! I would mention that I have broken two of those racks by carrying a pair of spare batteries in them and once the whole bag flew off with both batteries when going over a curb into an intersection. The top horizontal rails on both racks broke in the same place. Also If you carry anything heavy back there at least use some zip ties because the spring loaded yellow clip will open when going over bumps...forewarned is forarmed.

Nice Dave! I would mention that I have broken two of those racks by carrying a pair of spare batteries in them and once the whole bag flew off with both batteries when going over a curb into an intersection. The top horizontal rails on both racks broke in the same place. Also If you carry anything heavy back there at least use some zip ties because the spring loaded yellow clip will open when going over bumps...forewarned is forarmed.
Youch!
I've done a few grocery runs, and some cases of beer, never long rides with a couple of batteries. So noted. So far it's been a couple of years with no damage to bag or rack but I'll keep an eye on it mate.

Cheers,

The “high quality” I was referring to are some of the components used on the bike such as RockShox suspension and Magura brakes. As I had mentioned I was looking at the Frey CC as well as the AM1000 V6 and both appear well built, though on the heavy side. I was just trying to get feedback on other possible brands that others may own or have experience with.
your not going to really find any other brands that offer the same performance as Frey imho but it never hurts to look around.

I went ahead and ordered the Frey AM1000 V6 and it just arrived the other day. can’t wait to assemble and take her for a ride!

I went ahead and ordered the Frey AM1000 V6 and it just arrived the other day. can’t wait to assemble and take her for a ride!
Good choice! Got my wife a Frey Savannah a few months ago. You will love the larger sized battery too.

Back