Using a Pet Trailer with a Ride1Up Turris?

Cortiz108

Region
USA
I recently bought a Turris (so recently that I'm still assembling). I'm looking for experience/advice about carrying a dog. I was thinking about this trailer from Lectric.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 4.38.48 PM.png

But.... Ride1Up says that they don't recommend axle-mounted trailers because they put excess weight on the left side, which strains the motor. Is that just being super-extra cautious? I won't be a super frequent user, and bike+trailer would only be about 40lbs. They recommended one with a seatpost attachment instead, but I've read that they're less stable and more prone to flipping over.

They also said that the Turris has a threaded axle rather than a nutted axle. Is that even a difference? I'm trying to figure out if the carrier is even compatible. Pic from Lectric instructions:
Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 4.37.42 PM.png

As you can see in the picture below, my dog is the anxious worried type. He got suspicious and weirded out just being asked to sit by the bike so I could take a picture to show his size. With that in mind, is a trailer the best option for stability etc. or should I consider something mounted on the handlebars, or even a basket? I was looking at the BuddyRider (shown in the last pic) and I like that he'd be up with me and maybe feel protected by my arms, but he'd also feel "suspended" and a lot more movement from the handlebars. He hates flying.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 6.03.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 4.55.15 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 4.38.48 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 4.38.48 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 17
They do have one wheeled bike trailers that attach to both sides of the axle,..

Screenshot_20240426-113638_DuckDuckGo.jpg

There might be a clearance issue with your ebike at the axle flange?
It's hard to tell from the picture of your ebike.

Screenshot_2024-04-25_at_6.03.21 PM.png

This dog looks Very Unhappy with the trailer though, so I don't know if your dog would approve or not. 😂

Screenshot_20240426-113825_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Haha, yeah, the "hangdog" expression is real. I wonder how stable those one-wheeled trailers are.

Given that I see e-bikes of all brands with trailers pulling kids and bigger dogs, I'm tending to be a little skeptical about Ride1Up's advice. I mean, they basically all have similar design and technology, right?

Haha, yeah, the "hangdog" expression is real. I wonder how stable those one-wheeled trailers are.

The trailer is a stable as your ebike is.
When your ebike leans over, the trailer leans over at the same angle.
Your dog should get used to it. It won't be sliding left and right when you go around a corner like a dog in a two wheeled trailer would.

Given that I see e-bikes of all brands with trailers pulling kids and bigger dogs, I'm tending to be a little skeptical about Ride1Up's advice. I mean, they basically all have similar design and technology, right?

Yeah, you should have enough thread to bolt a trailer attachment to it, but see if there is anything blocking the area where the hitch will be.

This is my ebike.

20240426_150537.jpg
20240426_150522.jpg

I'd have to remove my fender brackets and my derailleur guard to install that trailer hitch.

Can you take a close up picture of your axle flanges so we can see better.

The attachment will look like this,..

Screenshot_20240426-152340_DuckDuckGo.jpg
EUNORAUSingletrack_FatTire_TrailerforCargoElectricBike_5_800x.jpg

You'll need clearance for it.

Here's the bike axle, and my first post has a screengrab of the instruction manual for the trailer I'm looking at:

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 6.37.59 PM.png

I was told in a FB group that I'll need to either get an hitch adapter (top) or use a pipe hanger bracket (bottom):

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 6.43.39 PM.png

438887562_1585942578642061_2338627275736297709_n.jpg

,.. my first post has a screengrab of the instruction manual for the trailer I'm looking at:

That's what I've got on my old e-bike and it should work for your ebike.
You've got a frame tube just above your axle, but that attachment should clear it.

The one wheeled trailer attachment hooks down from the top so you could remove the axle bolts and slide it on but it may not clear the frame tube because it's kinda big?
Something like this,..

Screenshot_2024-04-25_at_4.37.42 PM.png

I was told in a FB group that I'll need to either get an hitch adapter (top) or use a pipe hanger bracket (bottom):

That hitch adapter and axle connector is what I have,..

Screenshot_20240426-222408_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20240426-222520_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I did have to drill out the axle hole bigger because it's for a 10mm bike axle my ebike has a 12mm axle.

I'm sure you'll be fine with a two wheeled trailer and attachment like mine, especially if anyone on Facebook has done it with your specific ebike.

Just ride smoothly and avoid stressing the connection with hard braking, accelerating, or bouncing.

You wouldn't do that with your 🐶 in the trailer anyway.

Just be careful and go slow.
No wheelies, skids or burnouts. 😂

Whatever you do, don't remove the metal plate under your axle nut and always check and make sure the allen bolt (on top of the fender stay) is always tight. That plate makes sure the motor won't spin the axle in bikes frame.

I was thinking it might also be possible to get an extension to attach it to the seat post, which is what Ride1Up suggested. They said better weight distribution would put less strain on the motor.

The problem with a seat post attachment is that it mounts high off the ground, and it's more inclined to throw your balance off as it pushes and pulls just below your seat.

That may not amount to much though, if your trailer is light and ride gently.

Both of those pictures happen to be from the UK.
It's amazing how much safer a 25kph speed limit is.
When I speed up from 25kph to 32kph, it feels WAY Faster.
You speed demons going 48kph in the US are 🤪 🥜. 😂

You better pimp out your dog with the appropriate riding gear,.. 😂

Screenshot_20240429-154030_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Here in coastal north San Diego County, the parents would just buy the kid a RadRunner or similar ghost-pedalable ebike and turn them loose on the world.
I see that on most days. I’m not really looking forward to commuting with more kids like that over summer break.

My buddy had a similarly small dog. He had him in a font mounted basket. Blankets and all. Worked out well, for years…..until his dog finally passed.

I like this one.
Same thing as the ones I looked at on Amazon Burley about $500 .
And you have the option to install hub motor on it.
I looks sturdy it even has coil shocks to absorb wheel hops when not loaded
I have to measure my axle width with 11 speed cassette. I know it's 12 mm though axle.

Back