Broken Rear Spoke on Pace 500.3

Uburoibob

I found a broken spoke on the rear wheel of my Aventon Pace 500.3, purchased in June 2023.

The broken spoke is on the drive side. I've written to Aventon and am awaiting a response.

In the meantime, is there anyone who knows the specs for the spoke? I've found conflicting info across the web, and there is no specific info on Aventon's site. I am hoping to find a third party where this size is available off the shelf.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Having heard from Aventon, I just ordered two six packs of spokes (one for each side - drive and non drive) for the rear wheel on my Pace 500.3.

I also confirmed with Aventon, that the following specs are correct:
12 guage spokes, 207mm drive side, 208mm non-drive

Can’t wait to get them, fix my bike, and get back on the road.

I'm sure one length would fit both sides.

Three years ago, I found that the heads had popped off two rear spokes on my Radrunner. I learned that this means the spokes were defective. If a head is a little too small, it can go too far into the hole in the hub. This allows the elbow to stretch. As they were adjusted to keep them tight, the force on the head was concentrated on one side until it broke.

Two more heads had sunk too far. They could go at any time. I read that 2 broken spokes is okay, but riding with 3 broken would soon break the rest. This was an emergency. I asked customer service where to get replacements. There was no reply.

I knew the gauge by the wrench that fit. I double checked by using a caliper to measure the wire diameter. I measured the broken spokes according to what I read online. I ordered 130mm. They were too long. I should have measured from the rim at the hole, up to the near edge of the corresponding hole in the rim: 125mm. I had to bow the new spokes to get them past the rim to the hole. Otherwise, they were fine. A 130mm spoke has a 10mm leeway, from 130 to 120 mm.

Back