Contemplating the Specialized Vado or the Vado SL?

mfgrep

Region
USA
Specialized really 'missed the mark' by naming both the Vado and the Vado SL by the same name.....these are ENTIRELY differing bicycles in virtually all respects (except for the name) which confuses the consumer and which makes it cumbersome to clearly discuss these two entirely differing bikes.

Some may recall that I purchased a 2022 Vado SL 4.0 last June during a brief period when it was on sale for $2500. I was unsure as to whether I would fully embrace the 'ebike thing' and thus I was seeking something in the $1200 or < range like the Aventon Solterra or similar. After some shopping around it became clear to me that the Aventon or similar quality bikes would not compel me to ride frequently. So when the Vado SL went on sale I snapped it up. I'm glad that I did and in hindsight I consider myself lucky both for (a) the sale price and (b) because the Vado SL was a good fit for my needs.
PXL_20240416_131044530.jpg

I still read a lot of ebike articles and forum comments about the SL. As many of us know the Vado SL looks and behaves very analog-like similar to a Sirrus. It can easily be carried up staircases or lifted on to a car rack. A cursory review of the Vado SL's 320Wh battery and 35Nm 1.1 motor may seem underwhelming and expensive to many within the now broad ebike marketplace. The Vado SL fills a 'fitness' niche allowing a rider to enjoy faster and lengthier rides without giving up any of the fitness benefits of analog biking. I am proof of this given my miles ridden, pounds lost, and now narrower physique. Thanks Vado SL! Perhaps most importantly I really enjoy riding my Vado SL. It is nimble, fun, easy to carry, easy to load on to a car rack, and thus opens up a world of options to a cyclist. Not many ebikes can do this....and few do it so well. No this motor will not power you up steep hills without muscle. No you can't expect long range travel if you require 60%-100% motor assistance at all times. If used as intended, however, this bike will give you motor assist for a near 100 mile range in my experience. Others use(s) may be possible, however, I prefer to keep my Vado SL 'naked' without racks, fenders, bags, or panniers. It is a rigid bike and I have softened it with careful tire inflation, PanaRacer tires, Ergon grips, and a RedShift stem. I use a QuadLock mount for a phone and off I go easily burning about 500 calories in 60 minutes. This bike is a lot of fun. It does 'its thing' very very well. I wouldn't call it a 'one trick pony', however, it excels at my use-case as a lightweight and un-complicated fitness bike. If you are seeking to power through errands, commute, grocery shop etc....this bike might be able to accomplish it for you....but the SL is less than ideal for these tasks. If the SL were a car it would be a Porsche.

The 'Vado' line of Specialized bicycles includes a 'cousin' by name only to the Vado SL more simply named 'Vado'. I could not resist the temptation to have an entirely different ebike type in the garage and I (again) succumbed to the $2750 sale price. The much quieter Vado motor provides DOUBLE the Vado SL's torque at 70Nm and Vado has more than DOUBLE the SL's battery at 710Wh. I bought a white Vado 4.0 and quickly added sticky pedals, a QuadLock, water bottle cage, straps for the rear rack, Garmin Varia radar, and Cool Cave panniers. I am only 100 miles in with the full power Vado but it already opens up many additional cycling adventures. This big Vado is whisper quiet, very powerful, and far more comfortable when compared to the SL. The full power Vado has a great rack system and easily hauls groceries, heavy locks, a 12 pack of cold beverages or anything else that you might choose to carry. The big Vado eats miles and powers through hills. Interestingly I believe that both the Vado and the Vado SL will deliver similar total mileage range for me.....nearly 100 miles per charge. No the big Vado cannot realistically be ridden without some degree of motor assistance which is a strong departure from the 'fitness' ebike niche held by the SL. No the Vado cannot be easily carried up a staircase or loaded on to a car rack. If the Vado were a car it would be a Cadillac.
PXL_20240416_131114061.jpg

Most will face these two entirely differing bikes as a 'one vs. the other' choice and I too originally faced this dilemma. Until technology allows lightweight but still powerful motors/batteries we all face some ebike shopping conundrums. I first chose the SL for my primary goals of fitness and fun and I intend to keep on track using the SL for these purposes. The SL really shines for my weekly exercise goals and I have no complaints (I do wish the motor was a tad bit quieter). The pre-Mastermind 2022 SL enjoys minimalist tech/TCU freeing the rider from distractions and furthering its place as a 'naked fitness bike'.

The big Vado is just an entirely different beast altogether. Vado allows for long and comfortable rides while easily hauling any of the bits that you are compelled to bring along with you for the ride. Sure you can gain some fitness from riding the more powerful Vado if/when using minimal motor support although this is not where Vado shines. Vado is a nearly 60lb bicycle and Vado SL is approximately 35lbs!! The full power suspension equipped Vado does, however, provide quiet comfort and an ability to near effortlessly cycle even while hauling your goods. The 2023 Mastermind equipped version provides a plethora of rider data, radar integration, micro-adjustment, and some degree of electronic security capability. While not a true upright 'cruiser' like the Como, the full power Vado is more Como-like than it is Vado SL-like.

Both are great bikes which serve very differing use cases. Not inexpensive by anyone's imagination, however, with $5250 total invested for both bikes I feel that I have a LOT of capabilities at my fingertips. When factoring my fitness/health, my fun, my entertainment, dealer/service network, and the quality of equipment I feel that this is money well spent. Both of these bikes allow me to really get 'out' and see the city and all of its sights and goings-on. Both bikes improve my fitness albeit to varying degrees. It is going to be a good summer.

Last edited:
Specialized really 'missed the mark' by naming both the Vado and the Vado SL by the same name.....these are ENTIRELY differing bicycles in virtually all respects (except for the name) which confuses the consumer and which makes it cumbersome to clearly discuss these two entirely differing bikes.

Some may recall that I purchased a 2022 Vado SL 4.0 last June during a brief period when it was on sale for $2500. I was unsure as to whether I would fully embrace the 'ebike thing' and thus I was seeking something in the $1200 or < range like the Aventon Solterra or similar. After some shopping around it became clear to me that the Aventon or similar quality bikes would not compel me to ride frequently. So when the Vado SL went on sale I snapped it up. I'm glad that I did and in hindsight I consider myself lucky both for (a) the sale price and (b) because the Vado SL was a good fit for my needs.
View attachment 174138

I still read a lot of ebike articles and forum comments about the SL. As many of us know the Vado SL looks and behaves very analog-like similar to a Sirrus. It can easily be carried up staircases or lifted on to a car rack. A cursory review of the Vado SL's 320Wh battery and 35Nm 1.1 motor may seem underwhelming and expensive to many within the now broad ebike marketplace. The Vado SL fills a 'fitness' niche allowing a rider to enjoy faster and lengthier rides without giving up any of the fitness benefits of analog biking. I am proof of this given my miles ridden, pounds lost, and now narrower physique. Thanks Vado SL! Perhaps most importantly I really enjoy riding my Vado SL. It is nimble, fun, easy to carry, easy to load on to a car rack, and thus opens up a world of options to a cyclist. Not many ebikes can do this....and few do it so well. No this motor will not power you up steep hills without muscle. No you can't expect long range travel if you require 60%-100% motor assistance at all times. If used as intended, however, this bike will give you motor assist for a near 100 mile range in my experience. Others use(s) may be possible, however, I prefer to keep my Vado SL 'naked' without racks, fenders, bags, or panniers. It is a rigid bike and I have softened it with careful tire inflation, PanaRacer tires, Ergon grips, and a RedShift stem. I use a QuadLock mount for a phone and off I go easily burning about 500 calories in 60 minutes. This bike is a lot of fun. It does 'its thing' very very well. I wouldn't call it a 'one trick pony', however, it excels at my use-case as a lightweight and un-complicated fitness bike. If you are seeking to power through errands, commute, grocery shop etc....this bike might be able to accomplish it for you....but the SL is less than ideal for these tasks. If the SL were a car it would be a Porsche.

The 'Vado' line of Specialized bicycles includes a 'cousin' by name only to the Vado SL more simply named 'Vado'. I could not resist the temptation to have an entirely different ebike type in the garage and I (again) succumbed to the $2750 sale price. The much quieter Vado motor provides DOUBLE the Vado SL's torque at 70Nm and Vado has more than DOUBLE the SL's battery at 710Wh. I bought a white Vado 4.0 and quickly added sticky pedals, a QuadLock, water bottle cage, straps for the rear rack, Garmin Varia radar, and Cool Cave panniers. I am only 100 miles in with the full power Vado but it already opens up many additional cycling adventures. This big Vado is whisper quiet, very powerful, and far more comfortable when compared to the SL. The full power Vado has a great rack system and easily hauls groceries, heavy locks, a 12 pack of cold beverages or anything else that you might choose to carry. The big Vado eats miles and powers through hills. Interestingly I believe that both the Vado and the Vado SL will deliver similar total mileage range for me.....nearly 100 miles per charge. No the big Vado cannot realistically be ridden without some degree of motor assistance which is a strong departure from the 'fitness' ebike niche held by the SL. No the Vado cannot be easily carried up a staircase or loaded on to a car rack. If the Vado were a car it would be a Cadillac.
View attachment 174139

Most will face these two entirely differing bikes as a 'one vs. the other' choice and I too originally faced this dilemma. Until technology allows lightweight but still powerful motors/batteries we all face some ebike shopping conundrums. I first chose the SL for my primary goals of fitness and fun and I intend to keep on track using the SL for these purposes. The SL really shines for my weekly exercise goals and I have no complaints (I do wish the motor was a tad bit quieter). The pre-Mastermind 2022 SL enjoys minimalist tech/TCU freeing the rider from distractions and furthering its place as a 'naked fitness bike'.

The big Vado is just an entirely different beast altogether. Vado allows for long and comfortable rides while easily hauling any of the bits that you are compelled to bring along with you for the ride. Sure you can gain some fitness from riding the more powerful Vado if/when using minimal motor support although this is not where Vado shines. Vado is a nearly 60lb bicycle and Vado SL is approximately 35lbs!! The full power suspension equipped Vado does, however, provide quiet comfort and an ability to near effortlessly cycle even while hauling your goods. The 2023 Mastermind equipped version provides a plethora of rider data, radar integration, micro-adjustment, and some degree of electronic security capability. While not a true upright 'cruiser' like the Como, the full power Vado is more Como-like than it is Vado SL-like.

Both are great bikes which serve very differing use cases. Not inexpensive by anyone's imagination, however, with $5250 total invested for both bikes I feel that I have a LOT of capabilities at my fingertips. When factoring my fitness/health, my fun, my entertainment, dealer/service network, and the quality of equipment I feel that this is money well spent. Both of these bikes allow me to really get 'out' and see the city and all of its sights and goings-on. Both bikes improve my fitness albeit to varying degrees. It is going to be a good summer.
I have used to own the Vado SL 4.0 and your review is spot on. For me, the full power Vado 4 is the best deal going, and although I miss the light feeling of the SL, the full size Vado is quiet, smooth, and powerful. Fits my needs perfectly....easily gobbling up 50 to 60 mile treks at a time, with plenty of battery juice to spare when I arrive home. The 710w battery is really what separates the Vado 4 from other ebikes.....Specialized nailed this particular version. Happy trails and great add-ons for both of your bikes.

@mfgrep: Now as you own both e-bikes, you would be competent to answer this question: Is the suspension seat-post of the big Vado adequate for your needs? We both know well how stiff the Vado SL is, hence (I think) we both have installed a Redshift. My big Vado came with a rigid seat-post, so I had to go with a Kinekt. Hopefully the spring seat-post in Vado 4.0 is good? Please satisfy my curiosity!

You mentioned the confusion the names of Vado and Vado SL cause. Well, we also have a Levo and a Levo SL, same with Kenevo or Como... We also have a Tero and a Tero X (in the traditional segment, there are a Sirrus and Sirrus X, of which the most expensive Sirrus X 5.0 is totally different from other models. We also have a Diverge and a Diverge STR...) :) No doubt, confusing, especially when we discuss both models!

Which reminds me of an already old story. As Specialized surprised the market with the Vado, TREK followed with the Allant+. Both names mean the same, only Specialized took the name from Latin while TREK used a French name. Someone at TREK must have been jealous! :D

1713327583791.png

It looks @mfgrep our VSLs have converged to look very similarly to each other! I have actually converted my Vado SL 4.0 EQ to be a naked, sporty machine. Tubeless and all :) I now went with Specialized Tracer Pro tyres in size 42 mm. These are rather noisy but should be grippy in the mud; I picked up the idea of going with the Tracers because Creo 2 has the same tyres only in a bigger size.

Last edited:
I have used to own the Vado SL 4.0 and your review is spot on. For me, the full power Vado 4 is the best deal going, and although I miss the light feeling of the SL, the full size Vado is quiet, smooth, and powerful. Fits my needs perfectly....easily gobbling up 50 to 60 mile treks at a time, with plenty of battery juice to spare when I arrive home. The 710w battery is really what separates the Vado 4 from other ebikes.....Specialized nailed this particular version. Happy trails and great add-ons for both of your bikes.

Switching back/forth between the SL and the Vado is a big change. Though they both share SRAM NX these two bikes are otherwise starkly different.
I have only a few quibbles about the SL and I enjoy its nimble nature and my ability to obtain a quick workout. The SL's simplicity is its virtue.
The Vado is really a well designed, powerful, comfortable Class 3 ebike with excellent range and carrying capability. Sure its heavy by comparison as is expected.
Agreed the Vado 4.0 is the best deal going right now.....but I'd sorely miss the SL if it disappeared on me.
Thanks Sefutau!

@mfgrep: Now as you own both e-bikes, you would be competent to answer this question: Is the suspension seat-post of the big Vado adequate for your needs? We both know well how stiff the Vado SL is, hence (I think) we both have installed a Redshift. My big Vado came with a rigid seat-post, so I had to go with a Kinekt. Hopefully the spring seat-post in Vado 4.0 is good? Please satisfy my curiosity!
I am not yet able to competently answer your question Stefan. I feel VERY LITTLE if any movement from the Vado's suspension seat post as of yet. It is my understanding that there is a dampener adjustment at the bottom of the post stem but I have not yet adjusted or even observed this dampener adjustment. I weigh only 148lbs and I suspect that it is currently set-up for a heavier rider. I'll remind myself to reach back out to you in the coming days/weeks after I have a look.
Given how comfortable the Vado is compared to my SL....I have not yet been compelled to fiddle with the suspension post.

Switching back/forth between the SL and the Vado is a big change. Though they both share SRAM NX these two bikes are otherwise starkly different.
I have only a few quibbles about the SL and I enjoy its nimble nature and my ability to obtain a quick workout. The SL's simplicity is its virtue.
The Vado is really a well designed, powerful, comfortable Class 3 ebike with excellent range and carrying capability. Sure its heavy by comparison as is expected.
Agreed the Vado 4.0 is the best deal going right now.....but I'd sorely miss the SL if it disappeared on me.
Thanks Sefutau!
You are quite welcome....enjoy.

Still honeymooning but I have been able to put the Vado 4.0 through its paces over about 150+/- miles.
Thankfully and precisely as I had suspected....there is very little overlap between my Vado SL 4.0 and this full power Vado 4.0.

I still continue to ride and prefer my SL for exercising purposes and my ride data validates the SL as the far more efficient choice for burning calories. I continue to love the SL. Though some might find it limiting due to its smaller motor and battery.....this bike truly does shine as a phenomenal fitness bike. This bike allows me to get my heart rate into a vigorous zone and to keep it there for extended periods without completely burning out. It's awesome.

The Vado 4.0 is just a whole lot of fun and simply eats up the miles and the hills in comfortable fashion. I had ridden the SL hard on Sunday and needed a bit of a break but I had a product return for REI which is about 18 miles away. I put one of the Cool Cave panniers on the Vado 4.0 and I strapped a New York long shackle lock to the rear rack. I flipped on the radar and I placed my bone conduction earphones on a podcast. It was a glorious way to turn a mundane task into an enjoyable endeavor. Nope I didn't burn a wheel barrow full of calories on this ride but I sure did enjoy it. My battery fell from 100% to 87% after this 18 mile ride. Adding a 5lb lock and a bucket style pannier with a sweatshirt, allen keys, wallet, snack, my product for return and anything else that I desire....it just doesn't matter....no problems. Also awesome.

Almost forgot....I saved 3/4 of a gallon of gasoline....not to mention the reduced carbon emitted.

My battery fell from 100% to 87% after this 18 mile ride
In my units:
13% of 710 Wh makes 92.3 Wh for 28.9 km makes 3.19 Wh/km. It is an impressively low battery consumption factor, which is comparable to my low power Vado SL rides! What assistance did you use? (%/%).

Range 211 km?! WOW!

In my units:
13% of 710 Wh makes 92.3 Wh for 28.9 km makes 3.19 Wh/km. It is an impressively low battery consumption factor, which is comparable to my low power Vado SL rides! What assistance did you use? (%/%).

As you know I don't have access to BLevo on the new Vado 4.0 and so I don't have access to all of the hard facts. I generally no longer bother to track all of the data on either bike simply because the data is no longer that interesting to me, however, I do use my fitbit in an effort to reasonably track my heart-rate and calories burnt. More than anything fitbit has just become an easy way for me to see, at a glance, how many days/miles I've ridden at any particular time.

I kept the Vado on ECO 25/35 for the majority of the ride. I'd guess that I switched to SPORT 45/65 for approximately 5-10% of the ride and I'd guess that I was in Turbo 100/100 for < 2% of the ride. I'm just guessing here.

I had never previously been able to imagine owning/wanting a bike that REQUIRED the assistance of at least some amount of motor power to move the bicycle along and this concept seemed 'unnatural' to me. I also didn't like the idea of having an electronic or mechanical problem which might require pedaling a big/heavy bike home without power. I'm starting to re-think this just a bit, however, my fear of being stranded on this type of bike still remains to some degree. I did turn the motor off for a bit yesterday....and it would NOT be fun to try to pedal the big Vado for too long without power.

I will say....I am very surprised and impressed at how easy it is for me to ride at 15mph+/- in ECO mode....even while carrying some cargo. I hadn't anticipated that I would keep an adequate pace and feel comfortable on this 60lb bike while in ECO mode. Even on moderate hills this big boy allows me to gear down while staying in ECO to comfortably just pedal on up. It provides excellent torque. Old habits die hard and my modus operandi on the SL has always been fitness. This modus operandi isn't entirely lost on me when riding the big Vado....although it is clear that I am not burning calories on the big boy as I do on the SL. It remains possible on the big Vado to just say 'screw it' and allow the bike to handle most of the labor if I so choose. It also remains possible to gain some fitness on the big Vado by reducing motor power and increasing muscle power. Riding the big Vado for purposes leaning more towards fitness is far less pleasant when compared to the SL. These are two differing animals.

Last edited:
Interestingly, my Vado 6.0 (it is a Class 3 for you) is indeed very fast even at a moderate assistance.

If I (hush-hush) derestrict my Vado SL sometimes, it never gets as fast as easily as the big Vado does!

In my units:

Range 211 km?! WOW!
Sidenote: So often people complain about the motor power and battery life/range on the SL. This seems clearly a result of using the wrong bike for the task at hand. I can quickly see that I will be charging the big Vado a bit (not a lot) more frequently when compared to the SL. Of course much of this is because the SL is often ridden without any motor power but again.....wrong use-case for the bike model is often at play. I have zero range anxiety on the SL and if necessary could likely get approximately 100 miles per charge.

Interestingly, my Vado 6.0 (it is a Class 3 for you) is indeed very fast even at a moderate assistance.

If I (hush-hush) derestrict my Vado SL sometimes, it never gets as fast as easily as the big Vado does!

Yes!....the big Vado is surprisingly fast! When I first got the bike I was certain that the TCU was incorrectly setup to provide false speed readings. I was scrambling to fix the settings lol. But no!....using GPS to verify.....the bike is just surprisingly fast!
I assume that the SL's rigidity and light weight make it FEEL faster (Porsche) while the big Vado's suspension bits and heavy weight make it FEEL slower (Cadillac). My numbers don't lie.

In my units:

Range 211 km?! WOW!
Just checked. I told you wrong. 18.2 miles and I used 17% of the battery (fell from 100% to 83%).

So again. 120.7 Wh in 28.9 km gives 4.05 Wh/km, which is still very low. Estimated range 166 km, more than 100 miles! (I assumed 95% of the battery charge is usable).

Thanks. Your words combined with my experiences with the SL 35nm motor talked myself out of purchasing it. I come from another brand with apparently a 100 nm motor and couldn't understand why the small 35nm motor felt so feeble until I started researching motors and torque. The SL is definitely more of an exercise motor and not a "commute to work being as non-sweaty as possible and returning home with a kid and groceries on the bike"-motor. You just have to work too much yourself.

Thanks. Your words combined with my experiences with the SL 35nm motor talked myself out of purchasing it. I come from another brand with apparently a 100 nm motor and couldn't understand why the small 35nm motor felt so feeble until I started researching motors and torque. The SL is definitely more of an exercise motor and not a "commute to work being as non-sweaty as possible and returning home with a kid and groceries on the bike"-motor. You just have to work too much yourself.
This is 100% absolutely truth!!...and you are quite welcome.

I absolutely love my Vado SL and its little motor/battery combination for my purposes as it results in a very lightweight and maneuverable ebike. This type of ebike certainly does have its limitations!

I suppose that I keep 'beating this drum' to prevent the inevitable bad reviews for this bike stating things like 'underpowered' and 'no range' etc. This bike does what it is intended to do, however, many people buy it without having sufficiently researched ebikes in general. Personally I am hopeful that more manufactures will produce more fitness oriented lightweight ebikes. THESE are the bikes that will convert roadies to ebikes imo!

Good luck!

Back