Anyone have the Zebra Pro?

tgianco

Region
USA
City
Folsom, CA
I have the original Himiway Cruiser (over 2,600 miles), and I've beat the hell out of it (in a good way). It has taken a lickin' & kept on tickin'. It still runs great, but, 4 years later, there are some things I'd like in my next ebike. Obviously, I like Himiway.
Being older now but still doing some occasional single-track off-roading, I am considering the Zebra Pro for the mid-drive motor w/ more torque, the hydraulic brakes (original Cruiser had mechanical disc) & the enhanced range (still get good range out of my Cruiser but have been led to believe could go further on the Zebra Pro... does have a slightly bigger battery). Does anyone have any experience w/ this model and might be able to compare it the original? Is it worth the upgrade (not a bad price)? Might also consider the A5 Rambler Premium w/ mid-drive or wait for the new A7 mid-drive.

I'm kinda sorta did the same thing a few months ago with different types of ebikes. I have two 2016 Radrover w/ +7000 miles between them with cadence sensor, 7 speed, 4" fat tires, cable brakes, and rear 750w hub. I just upgraded to a tq sensor, 10 speed, Himiway Cobra Pro full suspension, 1000w mid drive, with hydraulic brakes. I didn't have any local Himiway dealerships to test ride the Cobra Pro; but, had a weekend trip to Denver (7hrs away) and found a dealer with a Cobra Pro to test ride.

Switching to a tq sensor feels more natural, can ramp up to faster speeds with less battery power, easier to ride at slower speeds, and easier to match your speed with other riders if they have a mix of cadence/tq sensor or pedal only bikes. The BIGGEST thing I had to get used to is having to shift gears with the mid-drive for EVERY speed change. It feel like driving a manual transmission car with a mid-drive compared to rear hub feeling like an auto trans vehicle. I would get lazy with Radrover and leave it in 7th gear at a stop, use the throttle to start, and start pedaling once I gain speed. I would probably damage the gears, chain, and motor in a short time if I do this with my mid-drive.

I would see if there is a Himiway dealer or any ebike dealer with a mid-drive to feel the extra involvement in riding.

I'm kinda sorta did the same thing a few months ago with different types of ebikes. I have two 2016 Radrover w/ +7000 miles between them with cadence sensor, 7 speed, 4" fat tires, cable brakes, and rear 750w hub. I just upgraded to a tq sensor, 10 speed, Himiway Cobra Pro full suspension, 1000w mid drive, with hydraulic brakes. I didn't have any local Himiway dealerships to test ride the Cobra Pro; but, had a weekend trip to Denver (7hrs away) and found a dealer with a Cobra Pro to test ride.

Switching to a tq sensor feels more natural, can ramp up to faster speeds with less battery power, easier to ride at slower speeds, and easier to match your speed with other riders if they have a mix of cadence/tq sensor or pedal only bikes. The BIGGEST thing I had to get used to is having to shift gears with the mid-drive for EVERY speed change. It feel like driving a manual transmission car with a mid-drive compared to rear hub feeling like an auto trans vehicle. I would get lazy with Radrover and leave it in 7th gear at a stop, use the throttle to start, and start pedaling once I gain speed. I would probably damage the gears, chain, and motor in a short time if I do this with my mid-drive.

I would see if there is a Himiway dealer or any ebike dealer with a mid-drive to feel the extra involvement in riding.
Unfortunately, none of the Himiway dealers near me has had this one in stock. My only real concern is cleaning or changing a chain with a mid-drive would not be easy or fun. I'd love to see them with a belt drive option.

Cleaning or changing the chain is super easy on a mid drive. It’s no different than doing it on a hub drive or a regular bike.

Cleaning or changing the chain is super easy on a mid drive. It’s no different than doing it on a hub drive or a regular bike.
That's good to hear. I was reading another thread where they were saying dealing with the chain on a mid-drive was a pain.

That's good to hear. I was reading another thread where they were saying dealing with the chain on a mid-drive was a pain.
The only issue that I'm aware of is that on the Cobra Pro and other mid drive bikes with the 1000w motors with the high nm's of torque was that it, along with poor shifting technique, was causing chains to break and having to replace cassettes. My personal opinion is that the Bafang 620 is too powerful and isn't needed on a bike. 50-90nm is plenty. The Zebra Pro I believe has the 500w motor which is plenty.

Unfortunately, none of the Himiway dealers near me has had this one in stock. My only real concern is cleaning or changing a chain with a mid-drive would not be easy or fun. I'd love to see them with a belt drive option.
Are there any other Himiway mid-drive models on the floor or ebike dealers that have a mid-drive you can test ride?

Cleaning and lubricating of the chain will be no different for a mid-drive or rear hub if you are riding either in exact same conditions. Do you clean/lube the chain mounted on the ebike only? I would double-check to make sure you can rotate the chain in reverse with a mid-drive on the Zebra Pro. The mid-drive on the Cobra Pro only allows the chain to move forward only and just the pedals move backwards. Lots of options with cleaning a chain on the ebike or adding quick release links and removing to clean (ultrasonic cleaner, paraffin waxing, Teflon, etc...). You might have add this extra step in the decision matrix with a mid-drive to remove the chain to clean/lube properly.

Any mid-drive with a chain or belt will put stress and wear on the front/rear cassettes and over time and and have increased wear compared to a rear hub. Having proper mid-drive shifting, consistent cleaning/lubing, and replacement routine will help extend the life of the cassette and chain/belt. I was able to stick with the same cassette/chain with both of my 2016 rear hub Radrovers after +3500 miles on each with routine cleaning. I might need to replace the chain and maybe cassette at least once with a mid-drive over the same +3500 miles because of the extra stress of motor+leg power (same riding and cleaning routine for both). I even purchased an extra chain if the unthinkable happens on the trail (probably a few minutes to replace the chain in my rack bag).

Are there any other Himiway mid-drive models on the floor or ebike dealers that have a mid-drive you can test ride?

Cleaning and lubricating of the chain will be no different for a mid-drive or rear hub if you are riding either in exact same conditions. Do you clean/lube the chain mounted on the ebike only? I would double-check to make sure you can rotate the chain in reverse with a mid-drive on the Zebra Pro. The mid-drive on the Cobra Pro only allows the chain to move forward only and just the pedals move backwards. Lots of options with cleaning a chain on the ebike or adding quick release links and removing to clean (ultrasonic cleaner, paraffin waxing, Teflon, etc...). You might have add this extra step in the decision matrix with a mid-drive to remove the chain to clean/lube properly.

Any mid-drive with a chain or belt will put stress and wear on the front/rear cassettes and over time and and have increased wear compared to a rear hub. Having proper mid-drive shifting, consistent cleaning/lubing, and replacement routine will help extend the life of the cassette and chain/belt. I was able to stick with the same cassette/chain with both of my 2016 rear hub Radrovers after +3500 miles on each with routine cleaning. I might need to replace the chain and maybe cassette at least once with a mid-drive over the same +3500 miles because of the extra stress of motor+leg power (same riding and cleaning routine for both). I even purchased an extra chain if the unthinkable happens on the trail (probably a few minutes to replace the chain in my rack bag).
Yeah, I'm coming back around to, maybe, a rear hub. It's worked for me all these years & continues to do so. To answer your other question, yes, there are plenty of Himiway dealers near me, but none have the Zebra Pro in stock to ride, unfortunately.

Back