Upgrading from original Himiway Cruiser

tgianco

Region
USA
City
Folsom, CA
Now in my early 50s, looking to upgrade, from the original Himiway Cruiser (step-over). It's been a great bike... just did a 30-mile ride earlier.
I definitely want a step-through (not as nimble as I once was) and am thinking about a mid-drive motor, possibly with a Gates belt-drive, a torque sensor, that will ride a distance but also has good torque for hills. Considering Himiway Zebra Pro (heavy, though), Rambler Pro, Aventon Aventure2 (heavy again), Evelo Omega (lighter), Ride1Up Prodigy V2 w/ CVT (lighter still)... really torn.
My new bike needs to look like a bike, not a moped. It's just not the look for me.

Why not go with specialized or trek or such? if your going to get a better bike get a better bike it will be lighter the batteries will last far longer the gearing will be much better the wheels will be much better.

Why not go with specialized or trek or such? if your going to get a better bike get a better bike it will be lighter the batteries will last far longer the gearing will be much better the wheels will be much better.
Those are under consideration, but, my feelings here, you're paying extra for the name. They do offer, most likely, better components, but the battery size (or lack thereof) has me leary. I'd like to be able to go on longer treks without worrying about the battery dying. Also, the torque on some of those is pretty weak for getting up hills... just from what I'm seeing in my research. I am considering the Giant Roam E+ STA, and my dream bike is the Specialized Turbo Levo (BTW, if you can be in NorCal, specifically Nevada City, on Sat, May 4, Dirt Daze will have ALL the brands there to test drive). I test road the Turbo Levo, and it's my unicorn. I'd never hear the end of it from my wife if I splurged on that.

Those are under consideration, but, my feelings here, you're paying extra for the name. They do offer, most likely, better components, but the battery size (or lack thereof) has me leary. I'd like to be able to go on longer treks without worrying about the battery dying. Also, the torque on some of those is pretty weak for getting up hills... just from what I'm seeing in my research. I am considering the Giant Roam E+ STA, and my dream bike is the Specialized Turbo Levo (BTW, if you can be in NorCal, specifically Nevada City, on Sat, May 4, Dirt Daze will have ALL the brands there to test drive). I test road the Turbo Levo, and it's my unicorn. I'd never hear the end of it from my wife if I splurged on that.
you get a lot of range because they are efficient. plus even sickly me I can climb any hill with my trek and even our bosch powered tandem. I have done 20% grades. big huge batteries and gobs of so called true are easy to get past when you have super efficiency a much better quality drivetrain and batteries that will last for many years. all y batteries have over 9000 miles them and they are fine. one has way over 14,000. yes if you don't want to put effort into riding then you need much more power. but so far I have not found a hill I cant climb and I am far from healthy. we actually did a 22% grade o0n our tandem once about killed us but we made it. thats 400 pounds of bike and rider. the Ride1Up Prodigy V2 would be the best choice but if you want to climb you want normal gearing so you can change it and have low enough and high enough gearing.

Last edited:
Ok, update... pretty much ruled out the Evelo & Ride1Up Prodigy V2 w/ CVT.
Why?
1. Evelo Omega- great bike, but complete lack of suspension would not work, since I do like to take the occasional bike trail. Want at least front suspension... or some suspension.
2. Ride1Up Prodigy V2 w/ CVT - the utter lack of a throttle. While I pedal all the time, there have been a couple of occasions where I've wiped out & been injured to the point where I really relied on the throttle. It's my "break glass in case of fire" option. It's a safety thing, which I've called into action 2-3 times in the past couple of years.

Ok, update... pretty much ruled out the Evelo & Ride1Up Prodigy V2 w/ CVT.
Why?
1. Evelo Omega- great bike, but complete lack of suspension would not work, since I do like to take the occasional bike trail. Want at least front suspension... or some suspension.
2. Ride1Up Prodigy V2 w/ CVT - the utter lack of a throttle. While I pedal all the time, there have been a couple of occasions where I've wiped out & been injured to the point where I really relied on the throttle. It's my "break glass in case of fire" option. It's a safety thing, which I've called into action 2-3 times in the past couple of years.

Someone alerted me to this thread.
An option you "might" want to consider is the Zen Photon Pro. It does have a throttle, mid-drive motor, Enviolo IGH, step-thru design.

There is a detailed thread here.
Some pictures below.

1709215738775.png

1709216052311.png

Back