I fell off my Rad Runner 2 because of a little hole in the ground - I need suspensions

venexiano

I have a Rad Runner 2, or maybe 1, see the picture below, not sure, but I am sure is that all the little bumps and holes on the street are felt too much by my body. And yesterday I hit a bigger hole (but still pretty small) and I fell off. My knee hurts a bit and several scratches but fortunately I was at only 8-10 miles/h. The hole made my hands lose grip on the handle and fall. I need suspensions. What is the best fork you would suggest? I see online people mention about single and double crown forks, but I cannot really understand the practical difference. I also want a suspension on the seat. For that I found that the SR Subtour ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FT931BP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3POUIKOJR6CVV&psc=1) is the right one, it was sold on the Rad website in the past. So I guess I just need to find the right fork. Could you guide me with it? I will have a bike store assemble them.

Attachments

• 244656554_4776132955779003_3512745098766155306_n.jpg
    244656554_4776132955779003_3512745098766155306_n.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 86
I put front suspension on my bike after almost having the handlebars ripped from my hands. I put on that Suntour suspension seat post that you linked, because I found once you fix the front your rear will begin to hurt.
You're probably going to have issues easily finding a suspension fork to fit your bike. Maybe Rad has something.
Regardless, I would take my installed fork off and measure everything, such as steering tube diameter, length, axle spacing, etc, & etc. and see what you can find. Expect to cut the steering tube to size.
For my narrow 29'r I found a Rockshox paragon that fit, and not much else. The steering tube was almost too short, which was a surprise. I had no need to cut it down though.

Might as well have the bike shop procure the fork too, so that you don't get an incompatible fork, I'm not sure what Rad uses. The older Lectric's used a threaded design, and the only fat tire suspension forks you can buy are all 1-1/8" threadless, Upgraders had to convert the Lectrics to threadless steerer, etc. Not hard. Just cost more. I suspect Rad is more mainstream, using the more popular threadless mount,

I've swapped out forks for suspension forks on a few bikes, including one 20" fat tire folder. That one, I used an air fork. Here's one on amazon. You will need a special pump for it too, about $25-35 . Unless you raise the bar height, which might mean brake/shifter/electrical cable changes, it's not a lot of work.

I think that hole will still throw you though, Also, you might need a new kickstand, unless yours mounts near the rear hweel axle. The front of the bike will go up 4-5 inches, so the pedals will ride about 2 inches.

you are your own best suspension. anything you get for it will not going to be great. you need to learn to take the bumps and holes with a relaid stance and lift up a bit and use your legs and arms to give you shock absorption.

That's true fooferdoggie, though one must always be ready for those road irregularities. Arms and legs do provide a great suspension on a bicycle, but all modern motorcycles are full suspension for a reason.

@harryS provides the best advice in letting a shop figure out the suspension fork you need. If it were me, I'd go in that direction.

I have a dual suspension Haibike Full FatSix. Rock Shox front and rear. 26 inch diameter, 4 inch wide off road fat bike tires. And a heck of a lot of miles on the odometer, most of it riding on asphalt. This much I know based on my riding: avoid pot holes at all cost, for the health of your rims, tires, tubes and the long term life of your bike's frame welds.

The smallish diameter of your bike's tires are against you, too; compared to say a 26" or 29" mtb tire and rim.

Any seat suspension post is still not a substitute for thinking it's going to do what a properly designed, rear suspension bike frame can do. It can only compress so far.

Thank you guys, I asked the best electric bike store in town last week, still waiting for an answer. In the meanwhile, can anyone enlighten me on the practical difference between single and double crown forks, please?

What is your tire pressure?
Reducing the tire pressure can provide much needed suspension, especially on a bike with fat tires.

That's true fooferdoggie, though one must always be ready for those road irregularities. Arms and legs do provide a great suspension on a bicycle, but all modern motorcycles are full suspension for a reason.
yep thats part of riding. Now I watch people on skateboards have it down far better.

Back