Should I buy a Vado SL, or Wait for the Release of the Version with the 1.2 Motor?

Wookie

Region
USA
Well, its all there in the headline. What would you do? I put a deposit down on a new Vado SL about a week ago pending arrival of one in my preferred color but the sale is not final....I'm reading that the 1.2 SL motor is already out there, although not on the Vado SL. Whatchathink?

Even if it came out today, I’d wait a few months before buying. I’m just always cautious about new/updated motors, whether in cars, boats, motorcycles, or bicycles. I’d rather let other folks test them a few months and shake out any early production bugs. Especially when repair parts might be scarce.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider buying used for this season, and then reassess next year.

Last edited:
I get what you guys are saying, but I got my Creo the day it came out and it has been faultless for 3 years and many thousands of miles. If anything did go wrong, I brought mine from Specialized store and I know they will have my back. The cost was also much better for me early doors. I paid £5250 UK and they gave me a £200 gift card for buying on day 1. The same bike is now £5750.00. Same with RE battery. Mine cost £300 and these are now £400. I appreciate this was just as Covid was hitting, but how often do Specialized drop the price on a new replacement bike? Cheaper SL1.2 will be many many months down the line

Piggybacking on this motor discussion, are the current SL motors as quiet as the (supremely quiet) Turbo Vado 4.0?

I’m leaning more towards a bike that feels like an acoustic bike (or may just get a non-electric Specialized). Louder motor would push me towards non-electric unless it were nearly as easy to ride without pedal assist.

Btw, don’t they release new bikes in the winter?

Piggybacking on this motor discussion, are the current SL motors as quiet as the (supremely quiet) Turbo Vado 4.0?

I’m leaning more towards a bike that feels like an acoustic bike (or may just get a non-electric Specialized). Louder motor would push me towards non-electric unless it were nearly as easy to ride without pedal assist.

Btw, don’t they release new bikes in the winter?
The Vado SL motor is definitely not silent. I don't find the sound offensive...... but there is sound indeed. My friend's Vado 5.0 ( not SL ) is substantially more quiet

The Vado SL motor is definitely not silent. I don't find the sound offensive...... but there is sound indeed. My friend's Vado 5.0 ( not SL ) is substantially more quiet
How are they to ride unpowered? In other words would you ride entire trips on flat without power or mild inclines unpowered?

How are they to ride unpowered? In other words would you ride entire trips on flat without power or mild inclines unpowered?
Yes and I do it all the time. I can go back through the last 1000 mi and look at the data. I guarantee you that more than 50% of every ride I have the motor completely off. The bike is roughly 35 lb...... So a bit heavy for an analog bike but quite lightweight for an e-bike. My reason for this specific bike was my ability to ride it completely analog when desired. I can't think of another e-bike that so gracefully can be ridden analog.

Yes and I do it all the time. I can go back through the last 1000 mi and look at the data. I guarantee you that more than 50% of every ride I have the motor completely off. The bike is roughly 35 lb...... So a bit heavy for an analog bike but quite lightweight for an e-bike. My reason for this specific bike was my ability to ride it completely analog when desired. I can't think of another e-bike that so gracefully can be ridden analog.
Amazing to hear! I would have no problem with extra noise in that situation. My heavy Gazelle Ultimate is somewhat rideable unpowered and I really love the quietness when it’s off, same story with my old analog bike.

Amazing to hear! I would have no problem with extra noise in that situation. My heavy Gazelle Ultimate is somewhat rideable unpowered and I really love the quietness when it’s off, same story with my old analog bike.
I must admit that I am a little obsessive compulsive when it comes to maintaining my drivetrain. I lube at least every 100 mi but often more. There is nothing better than riding a whisper quiet bike. Just as an example.... yesterday I rode 17 miles and per my monitor the motor was off completely for 61% of that ride. This would be fairly typical for my rides. I wish to get a workout and ride predominantly for fitness. I love having the motor to help me flatten the hills or quickly navigate heavy traffic as desired.

I need some assistance, AR, but am gradually reducing it on my Vado SL. My objective is to be able to really ride a lightweight traditional bicycle one day (my legs cannot be improved very much though). Nonetheless, I can derestrict my Vado SL motor to ride faster. Now, I've chosen not doing that unless the situation is critical. It is really fun when I start riding faster than 25 km/h as the motor stops and I'm riding a silent traditional bike! :)

Yes, the SL 1.1 motor is audible while my Vado motor is silent. You get used to that little noise though, especially as the wind is often louder than the motor is! I doubt I would buy a new Vado with the SL 1.2 motor (when and if available). I'd rather buy a nice very lightweight Diverge Evo... the price being same as of the Vado SL now!

I must admit that I am a little obsessive compulsive when it comes to maintaining my drivetrain. I lube at least every 100 mi but often more. There is nothing better than riding a whisper quiet bike. Just as an example.... yesterday I rode 17 miles and per my monitor the motor was off completely for 61% of that ride. This would be fairly typical for my rides. I wish to get a workout and ride predominantly for fitness. I love having the motor to help me flatten the hills or quickly navigate heavy traffic as desired.
Oh, I’m the same way with my chain acoustic bike.
Incidentally gates belt driven bikes like my ebike are so quiet unpowered. Nobody hears us coming. Of course, we found that dust makes them squeak like mad.

The sound of a well-maintained chain has never bothered me. It’s a nice sound.

Really appreciate the input!

I wonder if you set the new 1.2 to the same torque and power as the current 1.1 whether you will get more range as they are touting the "efficiency" of the new design.

I love the 1.1 for its analog feel; no real need for more power or torque in my case.

The new motor offers no real weight savings either from what I've read.

Back