Evelo Omega - 200 Mile Review

Alaskan

My new Omega was delivered on June 22. It arrived in good condition with a minor paint scratch on the front wheel, something easily fixed with some matt black Testors model paint. It was an easy assembly, just mounting the handlebar, with stem attached, to the steering tube and installing the front wheel. I checked all key fasteners on brakes and drive train and confirmed that all was installed to proper torque specs.

I did order the bike with the extra battery and rack, which is supposed to land in Tacoma, WA on August 6 and should be sent out by mid August after clearing customs and arriving at the Seattle fulfillment warehouse. The bike is really a subtle stunner with its metallic, pearlescent white paint w/ smokey silver fork and accents. The paint is hard thick and appears to be very durable...only time will tell.

The lines are clean and simple, the layout of the cockpit is uncluttered with the wires, cables and hydraulic lines cleanly arranged and well managed. It appears that most cables coming out of the cockpit go to waterproof male/female plugs/joints prior to disappearing into the frame a thoughtful choice that allows the display, headlight, etc. to be swapped out simply by unplugging and dismounting with the need to run new wiring through the frame. Given its strong motor and large battery, it is somewhat of a wolf in sheep's clothing with rather subtle if not tame looks but dynamic ride performance. I made the following modifications and additions:
  • Ergon Biocork grips
  • Hammerhead Karoo 2 cycle computer with GPS mapping, customized display with hear rate,
  • Garmin cadence sensor on left crank
  • Accessory bar at the center of the handlebar
  • Sun Co. clip on thermometer
  • Quadlock phone mount
  • horn
  • Spurcycle bell
  • Knog PWR Trail light with 5,000MaH battery pack/phone charger
  • Kinekt spring loaded, 30 degree rise stem with stem cap computer mount
  • Kinekt seat suspension seat post
  • Selle Anatomica H2 leather saddle
  • Rack Time seatpost clamp rack
  • Rosewell 13L trunk bag with bright reflective piping and rain cover
  • Light and Motion Seca 1800 lumen headlight with three steady on light levels and a lower amperage daytime pulse mode
  • Vee Rubber 26x2.8 Speedster tires mounted tubeless
  • Busch & Muller rear view mirror
The bike is easy to access with its deep step through. The frame construction, buttressing and welding is very robust and there is no perceptible twist, frame instability or wobbling at higher speeds and moving through turns.
The motor is whisper quiet, in fact all I really hear is tire noise and the sound of the servo-motor in the hub interface changing drive ratios. I am avoiding using the word "gears" as there really are none in the Enviolo CVT. Getting accustomed to automatic shifting was quick and easy, really trusting it to be in the right ratio for the terrain has taken a bit more time but is done now. I have discovered that getting into the lowest ratio, while pushing hard up a hill does require a very brief easing up, if not a slight pause while pedaling. A brief hicup at top dead center with the cranks and then immediately resuming pedaling takes the pressure off and allows the servo to push the CVT into the lowest gear. It also helps to do this at speed around 22 mph where I ease up, get the pressure of the hub and lets the servo get into the highest ration for lower cadence at 25+mph. In between those two conditions it's fully automatic with no help required of the rider.

Mounting my phone near the right handlebar grip allows me to easily switch between Automatic and Manual mode. I was using manual far more at first but now that I have come to really trust the Automatiq function I rarely am in manual shift mode. Still it is nice to have the phone connected to the hub interface for information and easy switching. Once one learns to trust the shifter to keep you in the right ratio, the wireless, handlebar controller is almost never used.

All my prior bikes were Bosch powered with 250 watt motors peaking at 350 with 85 Newton meters of torque. This bike, with its Japanese Dapu, mid drive motor is 750 watts, peaking at 980 with 115 Newton meters of torque really has quite noticeably more zip and oomph, to use technical terms. 30% more torque makes a big difference in power, acceleration, hill climbing prowess, exertion level and power use. Despite its large 720 watt hour battery, it is easy, in the higher assist levels, to run yourself out of battery if you are not paying attention. Going up a 10% grade at 12 mph with a 190 lb rider on a 70 lb. bike, in PAS-5 is a perfect configuration for rapidly depleting a battery. However keeping the bike in PAS 2 on flat ground I am able to return home after 28 miles with 46% of the battery remaining. I will do some total range tests once I have battery #2 to bring along and I can ride #1 down to 10% remaining.

I have altered the ride position to suit my comfort zone which is to say the stem is at the bottom of the protruding steering tube with the spacers on top of it. Also the replacement Kinekt spring loaded suspension stem has way less rise than the stock one. Over all my riding position is more sporty and forward leaning, less upright than stock, which is how I like it, being used to riding a Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 3 a gravel ebike with drop handlebars. Completing the comfort profile is the Kinekt spring loaded, parallelogram seat post with a Selle Anatomica leather saddle with an open slot down the middle, which has been my saddle of choice on most of my ebikes for four years now.

I bought this bike to help me rehab from some health challenges that left me with less muscle mass and reduce lung capacity. As we live at the top of a 500 foot hill all rides end with a steep climb. Riding this bike has gotten me back on my other bikes for more vigorous, exercise based distance rides.

The Omega is perfectly suited as a daily automobile substitute, riding around town to appointments, using a rack mounted grocery basket or a trailer to pick up groceries, tools, haul stuff down to our boat, etc.

Nancy and I went on a 27 mile touring ride out into the river valley just north of town, cruising comfortably in PAS2 at around 20mph. If I want to go faster than that I up the PAS level, 22mph at PAS3, 25mph at pass 4 and 27 mph at PAS5 These are sustainable speeds on flat terrain, decent roads and at a comfortable cadence. The last of the ride, coming up the hill to our home, there are two blocks at 18-20% grades that I can easily pedal in PAS4 in not quite the lowest ratio, moving uphill at around 7-8 mph. Overall I find this a nicely designed, well thought out, robustly built bike.

Any review of an Evolo bike would not be complete without acknowledging the superb support Evelo provides. They have been designing and selling their bikes exclusively in the USA since 2012. The are assembled in Taiwan and distributed out of a warehouse near Seattle. When I have called their tech support team, about half the time I get right through to a person. If not I leave voice or email and someone friendly, courteous and smart gets back to me.
If there is any indication of a part being needed it is usually shipped out with tracking notification that same day. Being just 85 miles north of Seattle that means next day delivery...YMMV. This my first DTC (direct to consumer) ebike. Thus far my experience with the bike and the team standing solidly behind it has been outstanding.

This a fun bike to ride, good looking, solid, well made, with great support and well worth the premium price it commands.

20220703_144437.jpg

20220627_084252.jpg
20220709_101805.jpg
20220629_093540.jpg
20220622_175139.jpg

20220624_140528.jpg

20220624_140442.jpg

Last edited:
Great review, and interesting bike. I too am dealing with health challenges, and your posts prompted me to think about a bike like this. Fortunately, my oncologist has modified my chemo regime which seems to be giving me some more energy, so I'm back in the saddle so to speak, building up my strength. My trek allant 8s has enough torque/power in turbo to get me up the climbs to and from my house.

Hope your recovery continues, and you keep making your informative posts!

Great review! Really like all the upgrades you’ve done on the handlebars. I know you were a fan of the Scwalbe hurricanes……..why the immediate change to the Vee Rubber Speedsters? Were the factory installed tires not cutting it? Was the changeover to tubeless a pain? Thanks again!

I wanted a tire with lower rolling resistance and better on trails. The bike came stock with 26 x 2.8 and this was one of the few available in that size.

Getting the rims seated tubeless was the only difficult part. I went tubeless on my Topstone Neo Carbon 3. In almost 4,000 miles no flats with two known punctures.

I still love my Bosch powered Gazelle Arroyo, but if I was ready for a new ebike, the Omega would be my first choice. My wife rides an Evelo Compass trike and the Evelo company has been great to work with.

Thanks for the update! That ride position looks a lot better than the stock configuration - you're able to get enough reach?
-Do you choose which saddle to use the same way one might choose which belt to wear to work on any given day? 😉
-The water bottle mount looks a lttle different than the stock photos. Did Evelo eliminate the top braze on to accommodate a longer seatpost on the production model?

So even though this is a mid drive, it sort of acts like a hub drive? Hit a certain PAS level and it basically goes to a predefined speed range. My first ebike, a hub drive, did that and it certainly was fun, but always had that sort of disconnected feeling. As you are well aware, it’s no big thing to zip along at 20 plus mph on the flats even in Eco or whatever the lowest level of assist is on a Bosch, Specialized or other mid drive setup. What do you think of it compared to how the Allant or the Topstone work?

Super glad to hear it’s working well for you. I really liked the look of that Aurora, though!

Thanks for the update! That ride position looks a lot better than the stock configuration - you're able to get enough reach?
-Do you choose which saddle to use the same way one might choose which belt to wear to work on any given day? 😉
-The water bottle mount looks a lttle different than the stock photos. Did Evelo eliminate the top braze on to accommodate a longer seatpost on the production model?
The saddle that is on there now, the black H2 is the one that will stay on that bike. I took the brown one (also selle anatomica) off of my no e gravel bike to use on this till the black selle arrived.
I don't even want to talk about that upper bottle cage braze-on boss. But since you asked: I put a different cage on there and the bolt started getting tight before it was locked down all the way. I put too much force on it and broke off the head leaving the bolt in there jammed hard against the seat post which would not budge when I opened up the quick release. At that point I gave myself a good dope slap. I got it out of there with an easy out but not before stripping the threads and deforming the hole beyond recovery. I just cut the braze-on flush, put some tape over the ugly hole and put the strap on bottle cage boss over the top of it. Needless to say, I was really pissed at myself for not realizing what was going on until it was too late.

It actually acts very much like a Bosch bike, but on steroids. It has torque, cadence and speed sensors. The PAS level pretty much controls your rate of acceleration and top speed with maximum exertion from the rider. I provides less in all levels if you don't pedal as hard. Up to hitting the max in each level it is smooth and seamless with no feeling of being pushed along, just that you are stronger...in the case of this bike at higher levels, much stronger.
The Enviolo Automatiq functions with you using the phone app to set your desired cadence and the upper and lower shift rpms and it keeps the ratio such that it meets you at your selected cadence,, I have mine set at 70 with a 5 rpm margin. If I drop below 65 it puts me in a lower ratio so that pedaling is easier and I can get back to 70. When I hit 75rpm it shift to a higher ratio.

On flat ground, Pedaling at 70rpm with about a 110 watt average output from me PAS 1 I top out at 18-19 mph PAS2 around 20-21mph PA3 - 22-23 Pas4 is 25-26 and PAS five up to 28 but then I am spinning in the mid 80s.

I go for days without touching the throttle. I normally don't use it. The last time was last Sunday. Nancy and I rode 27 hilly miles, stopped at a local Italian restaurant we love that has outside dining. The restaurant is in town at about 50 feet above sea level. We live about 1.25 miles away and almost 500 feet higher. I had plenty of battery remaining and my legs felt like jello after the ride and eating all that great food. I throttled a good portion of the way home as I had more than sufficient battery remaining.

Last edited:
The saddle that is on there now, the black H2 is the one that will stay on that bike. I took the brown one (also selle anatomica) off of my no e gravel bike to use on this till the black selle arrived.
I don't even want to talk about that upper bottle cage braze-on boss. But since you asked: I put a different cage on there and the bolt started getting tight before it was locked down all the way. I put too much force on it and broke off the head leaving the bolt in there jammed hard against the seat post which would not budge when I opened up the quick release. At that point I gave myself a good dope slap. I got it out of there with an easy out but not before stripping the threads and deforming the hole beyond recovery. I just cut the braze-on flush, put some tape over the ugly hole and put the strap on bottle cage boss over the top of it. Needless to say, I was really pissed at myself for not realizing what was going on until it was too late.
Ugh, well sorry I brought it up then. I've had plenty of my own dope slap moments including when I decided to temporarily add a water bottle cage on the side of the headset (like R&M does) with zip ties and I stupidly thought duct tape would protect the paint. Now every time I get on the bike I get to look at 2 spots where it rubbed through to the aluminum.

What do you think of it compared to how the Allant or the Topstone work?
  1. Allant 9.9s, lean into it and GO! - good all around bike, very refined drive train, great round town or day cruiser. Totally satisfying ride in every way
  2. Cannondale Tosptone Neo 3, fast cruiser, at home on road or trail, Long legged bike, gets the most out of the Bosch system of any bike, light weight and really fun to ride
  3. Evelo - Omega - No better bike as a vehicle replacement that I have ridden. Steady, fast, powerful, great hauler (either on a rack or in a trailer) - Definitely the bike of choice for zipping around town and getting it done and a great bike for when I am not 100%, which, these days, is more often than I would like but, WTF, I'm old and have a formidable adversary.

@Alaskan ; thanks for the review.

To be just a little nick-picky you state . . .
" All my prior bikes were Bosch powered with 250 watt motors peaking at 350 with 85 Newton meters of torque. This bike, with its Japanese Dapu, mid drive motor is 750 watts, peaking at 980 with 115 Newton meters of torque "

Yet, didn't you have an Aurora Limited which uses the Dapu 750W Motor ?
As I recall it was an "open-box" unit in early 2022.

Different topic - - - I'm still running my Aurora Limited Enviolo AutomatiQ in 9-step manual mode with over 400-miles ridden.
I seem to continue to lack the courage to trust the fully automatic cadence mode since I vary my cadence a bunch.
I've also found the Enviolo Support to be worthless at the consumer level.

Do you always assume the worst of others or what?

I am not an average anything, retail customer included. I've owned more ebikes than most, ridden more miles than most, am a more experienced mechanic than most. It would be nice if someone offered me a free ebike or cash but so far it hasn't happened.

My Aurora, with almost the same drive train, was stolen after less than a month and I hadn't had the time to really get to know it. Fortunately my renters insurance covered it so this bike is a replacement. It was like my first marriage which lasted just 3 months. In my mind it didn't last long enough to count.
A bit touchy this evening?
My question was reasonable considering your recent Evelo Product Posts on different eBikes in a very short time frame.
More so since you did not acknowledge owning, reviewing, or raving about the Evelo Aurora Limited that you owned if even for a short time.

While I also had an Aurora Limited Edition stolen and have posted about the Evelo 2022 DASH and 2022 Aurora Limited I'm now riding . . . I believe my posts were clear that I was a general consumer. That is not the case with your Omega Review as you clearly miss-spoke regarding your eBike experience.

A bit touchy this evening?
My question was reasonable considering your recent Evelo Product Posts on different eBikes in a very short time frame.
More so since you did not acknowledge owning, reviewing, or raving about the Evelo Aurora Limited that you owned if even for a short time.

While I also had an Aurora Limited Edition stolen and have posted about the Evelo 2022 DASH and 2022 Aurora Limited I'm now riding . . . I believe my posts were clear that I was a general consumer. That is not the case with your Omega Review as you clearly miss-spoke regarding your eBike experience.
What’s with the attitude. You sound miserable. Probably suffering from a case of Error 12.

What’s with the attitude. You sound miserable. Probably suffering from a case of Error 12.
Just Fact-Checking as the original post included an important Not Factual Statement.

Forum readers need to know/understand whom is writing a review.
The professionals are generally open about their status . . . but not always.

As for Error-12 . . . . . that was indeed a disappoint as otherwise the '22 DASH was a nice ride.

Just Fact-Checking as the original post included an important Not Factual Statement.

Forum readers need to know/understand whom is writing a review.
The professionals are generally open about their status . . . but not always.

As for Error-12 . . . . . that was indeed a disappoint as otherwise the '22 DASH was a nice ride.
Which maybe 2 minutes of searching posts would have cleared up for you instead of jumping straight to insuations.

Even if that's too much trouble for you then the least you could've done was wait for a response to your initial 'fact check' before asking if he's getting free bikes.

Alaskan has been on this forum forever and owned several ebikes
His reviews on his bikes are thorough and well done
He is definitely not some kind of troll or shill for any company

Is the Dapu manufactured in Japan ?
The Dapu company is in Japan. I can't confirm if their mid drive motors are actually manufactured in Japan or somewhere else. Their site refers to plants in Japan, China and Vietnam but does not specify which motors are built in which location. Dapu makes quite a variety of rear hub motors. As I understand it their mid drive motors are not sold for kits but rather custom built with unique programmed specs for Evelo and possibly other bike makers.

The Dapu company is in Japan. I can't confirm if their mid drive motors are actually manufactured in Japan or somewhere else. Their site refers to plants in Japan, China and Vietnam but does not specify which motors are built in which location. Dapu makes quite a variety of rear hub motors. As I understand it their mid drive motors are not sold for kits but rather custom built with unique programmed specs for Evelo and possibly other bike makers.
Ok, thanks, I was hoping Japan but I’m not paying the bills. It is a beautiful bike.

Back