2016 KTM Macina Race X1-11-cx5

EddieJ

I smell new bike time again. :)

http://www.flidistribution.co.uk/2016-ktm-macina-race-27-x1-11-cx5-p-2094104

I love hardtail MTB's and couldn't resist this special edition e-mtb offering by KTM. It has come at the perfect time as I have just sold one of my other bikes yesterday. :)

I've been contemplating a hardtail Bosch powered e-mtb for a while now, as I'd get more benefit from it than my full suspension bike, but up until now I hadn't seen the spec that I was after.

This special edition model has almost the full spec that I wanted. No Nyon which for my use is a massive plus point, Fox 32 front forks, a 10-42 rear cassette, Bosch CX motor with 500wh battery, thru axles, and a great component spec.

I have two additions already in mind to make, I shall fit a Rockshox Reverb Stealth dropper seat post and a neo guard to the front forks, then I have my perfect all weather winter bike.

Just hoping that I don't have to wait too long.

macina-race-29-x1-cx5-48-matt-black-orange.jpg

Last edited:
Eddie J, the fork is listed as a Rockshox fox. 2 different companies, probably a typo. I like the sram 1150 cassette, that is the sweet spot for lightness and strength (not making chips due to the metal being overly light). The light cassettes are good for racing but need to be replaced after each race. Worn short tooth cassette will cause inefficiency and even chain slipping.

Thank Jim, I did see the typo as well. :)

Ref the cassette, I'm already used to swapping out drive train parts after very low mileage use. Not ideal, but I just accept as part and parcel of my off road riding. :)

I'd forgotten to update this thread.

The KTM arrived safely in March, and almost on the same day I took the motor out, and fitted a Rockshox Stealth Reverb seat post, and a front Neo Guard.

1.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

One week later the bike is put to it's first test, one that it carried out without fault, which is more than could be said about the Reverb dropper post. It failed during the event, and left me riding 30 miles with the seat down. I wasn't happy. Once again the bike was suspended, and once again the motor was removed, in order to remove and re fit a 2016 version of the Reverb, replaced under warranty. The 2016 Reverb is far superior to it's predecessor, and I'm almost hoping the seat post on the FS Lycan fails now.

First test.

6.JPG 5.JPG ebr 4.JPG

Shot of the motor removed.

2.JPG

The bike has been performing brilliantly, and the CX motor is definitely a superior motor than the Performance Line that was fitted to my FS Lycan. Note the words was fitted. ;) The extra available torque, is very evident, from the very first pedal stroke. It almost feels as though there is a one gear advantage. Obviously the extra performance costs in respect of battery usage, but the 500wh battery makes up for any short fall.
The bike is fantastic to ride, and is just so tight and agile to use, and it holds a far tighter line than the FS Lycan, and also makes hoping over and off things effortless.
I still need to change the OE tyres from Rocket Rons to something more suitable for my use. I intend to fit Hutchinson Toro's, and at the same time make the switch to tubeless. I hate running tubes!
This bike is definitely my go to bike, and I had thought about getting rid of the FS Lycan and just keep this one bike. I've decided against that now though, and the Lycan is about to get a major revamp.

Beyond having fitted the dropper post and Neo guard, I don't intend to make any other modifications to the bike, it is that good. :)

7.JPG 8.JPG 13.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 12.JPG

I had forgotten about this clip from a month or so ago.

It was taken at the event that I took part in, please excuse the poor quality, it wasn't exactly the best of weather conditions, and I also hadn't realised that the camera had moved position. :(

I had forgotten about this clip from a month or so ago.

It was taken at the event that I took part in, please excuse the poor quality, it wasn't exactly the best of weather conditions, and I also hadn't realised that the camera had moved position. :(

Well...that may not match my image -but it is exactly how I feel! :D
Nice vid!

Another day, and another ride.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/emtb-owners-photo-and-ride-thread.24089/page-5#post-308846

I'm still trying to get out and ride every other evening/night, but haven't been feeling so great this week, and should have given todays ride a miss. I was aiming to be out for pretty much the whole day, but nearly quit after ten minutes, and finally called a it a day after just a few hours on the Macina Race.

Not much of a ride. :(

s1.JPG

ebr1.JPG ebr 2.JPG ebr 3.JPG

Hopefully back to more of this again next week. The Macina is made for cross country distance riding, and it is something that it performs very well.

Hailsham 140516.JPG

Last edited:
Back to good old British summer weather and tan lines!

ebr1.JPG

Just waiting for a set of Hutchinson Toro Enduro tyres to arrive from France, then I can remove the OE Schwalbe Rocket Rons, and get back to being able to ride how I like again. The Rocket Rons just don't cope with wet slippery roots, mud or slippery clay cross ruts. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) I already run a set of Hutchinson DZO tyres on the Macina Lycan, and they are outstanding, but offer a lot of drag, so I'm hoping that by switching to the Toro's I shall get the same limpet like grip of the DZO's but with less rolling resistance.

The start of yet another wet and muddy ride.

ebr2.JPG ebr3.JPG

Last edited:
After waiting for what felt like forever, I came home from work today to find that the Hutchinson Toro tyres had finally arrived.

toro1.JPG

They are actually more aggressive than I was expecting, but given the current riding conditions and yet another tumble on Sunday, that is going to be no bad thing.

Annoyingly the tumble on Sunday couldn't have happened at any lower speed. I normally travel down this section at between 25mph - 30mph, but on this occasion I was being courteous to some walkers and had slowed to just a few mph. Rocket Rons on wet slippery clay, is not a good combination, and that is running them at ultra low pressure. Oddly the lad that I usually ride with also took a tumble, as did another unknown lad.

One very poor quality, blurred, wet clip of the embarrassing tumble.

Certainly an improvement over the OE Schwalbe Rocket Ron's.

ebr1.JPG

When fitting the tubeless kit, I noticed that in Youtube clips, that people either use a wheel truing stand to fit the rim tape, or have the wheel on the ground, placed between the knees. Not having a wheel truing stand, the most obvious way is to simply suspend the bike, with the bare wheels re fitted.

ebr3.JPG ebr 2.JPG

My favourite brand of tyre. :)

h1.jpg

Sorry JayVee, but I don't know the answer to that. I'll be seeing/speaking to the Bosch rep at some stage soon, and will find out for you. :)

I spent another brilliant Saturday taking part in yet another organised mtb event, this time with a couple of other KTM riders. We meet up two or three times a year for the events.

Yesterday was certainly a mix of conditions, and the day started in bright sunshine, and ended with a thunderstorm and torrential rain.

The bike really went through it's paces yesterday in respect of water. There were many very debatable water crossings, that left me doubting whether the bike would make it or not, but it did. :)

The ride itself was slightly painful in respect of progress, as I had to ride at the pace of the other two lads, and one had been suffering health issues, and the other had changed jobs and hadn't ridden enough to remain 100% fit. They eventually opted to take the medium route, and I continued on my own to complete the longer route, which was made 4 miles longer by me missing a course marker!

All in all another and fun event. :)

Evans 1.JPG

ebr1.JPG ebr2.JPG ebr4.JPG

This was a test for the bike. With both lads assisting with pedalling, I pulled both of them up this hill.

ebr3.JPG

Back