Giant powering off repeteadly

Lolomix_10

Hi Guys ,
Just to mention my experience

I own a Giant trance e+1 2020 since 4 weeks ago.
From the first ride bike started to switch off randomly ,

When i returned to dealer , he called Giant Spain and they reported known issues on Ebikes from 2019. Problem seems to be located in some excessive gap in battery connector ,
As long as you move off road , roots , rocks move the battery so motor gets disconnected , Giant Central sent a small u shape alu part to be installed below the battery connector in the bike , it is just 1 mm thick but it seems to be the solution , now my bike is perfect and I Like it very much ,
Giant said that it is the first problem on 2020 series.

Just for ur info

Hi Guys ,

When i returned to dealer , he called Giant Spain and they reported known issues on Ebikes from 2019. Problem seems to be located in some excessive gap in battery connector ,
As long as you move off road , roots , rocks move the battery so motor gets disconnected , Giant Central sent a small u shape alu part to be installed below the battery connector in the bike , it is just 1 mm thick but it seems to be the solution , now my bike is perfect and I Like it very much ,

Just for ur info

Thanks for the info, I currently have my Fastroad e+2 2020 in the shop with the same issue. Also only a few weeks old.
Funnily it doesn't seem to have the cut out problem when its in the highest assist setting, possibly enough current flowing to overcome a dodgy connection.

I have the same bike and the had same problem. The issue was damaged speed sensor wiring. Dealer showed be the frayed wires. It appears that this was a mfg issue as the place where the wire was damaged was not exposed. Dealer replaced it no-charge under warranty. No problems since then.

Hi Guys,

Update on the Fast Road E, finally got it back after 2 weeks, with a new controller and motor assembly, so far so good, 2 hr ride the other day with no power cutouts.
Hopefully all fixed.

i have the same problem as you but After they try to fix it with shim , today After fews day and 100 km since the bike returned from assistance the problem recurred and the bike shuts off randomly. This ebike have 3 months of life, what rights can I claim. Im really tired of this situation

Have them check the speed sensor wiring as I noted in previous post. Did your LBS run diagnostics?

@f1s0ciety I had the same problem, as I described above, the "fix"in January was only temporary and after 30 km is started shutting down again (30 times in 10km). Annoyingly the fault wouldn't happen for the dealer or Giant Australia. In the end and with the help of the dealer I got a full replacement. That was back in March and 400km on so far so good. I still suspect an internal fault in the battery itself due to the nature of the problem (very intermittent, did not coincide with bumps etc and no error code) and it was the only thing that wasn't replaced. Thanks to McBains Cycles in Hobart for their support and believing me.

Hi Guys ,

Just for ur info
Do you mind going into further detail? Or even posting pictures of the gap or the u shape part Giant installed? This would be incredibly helpful!

I have a 2020 Revolt E+ that I believe has the same issue. I believe the plastic spring clip isn't taking out enough of the slack in the battery, the battery then loses connection, and the motor turns entirely off.

Do you mind going into further detail? Or even posting pictures of the gap or the u shape part Giant installed? This would be incredibly helpful!

I have a 2020 Revolt E+ that I believe has the same issue. I believe the plastic spring clip isn't taking out enough of the slack in the battery, the battery then loses connection, and the motor turns entirely off.
Hi ,
Many Time since i started this thread , Bike remains ok , never had the issue again , here in attach some picts of the connector, I am scared of removing it to show you the alu shape sorry . Alu shape is below black connector and lifts its a bit .
I Hope this helps. Good luck

Attachments

• 20210105_115353.jpg
    20210105_115353.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 2,769
  • 20210105_115315.jpg
    20210105_115315.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 2,821
Hi ,
Many Time since i started this thread , Bike remains ok , never had the issue again , here in attach some picts of the connector, I am scared of removing it to show you the alu shape sorry . Alu shape is below black connector and lifts its a bit .
I Hope this helps. Good luck
Thank you very much for the detail! I ordered some gasket material to put under this location, about ~2mm thick. Glad you are not having any further issues.

Amazing they would design the battery compartment with this level of dust ingress, isn't it? My bike more or less shows a similar amount of dust.

Thank you very much for the detail! I ordered some gasket material to put under this location, about ~2mm thick. Glad you are not having any further issues.

Amazing they would design the battery compartment with this level of dust ingress, isn't it? My bike more or less shows a similar amount of dust.
Sure , you are welcome

'20 Revolt-e pro was having power drop outs and also battery rattles. I adjusted the battery lock mechanism to stop the rattles and it cured the rattle and as a bonus the power drop outs were also gone.

I ended up getting some gasket material and making a seal. I will update you once I ride some and do a write-up if it seems to work out.
did this work? im thinking in just rising the part a little bit with a plastic or something.

I have a 2020 Rovolt e pro that has started cutting out. It was initially just cutting assitance for a split second (enough to feel like the pedals get heavy) then start again. A couple of rides latter it does this but also cuts out. I have noticed it worse on bumps and while heading up hill (possible more noticble as assistance cuts out). Does this sound similar to any of the above issues? The fix looks fairly simple if thats the case.

Cheers,

I have a 2020 Rovolt e pro that has started cutting out. It was initially just cutting assitance for a split second (enough to feel like the pedals get heavy) then start again. A couple of rides latter it does this but also cuts out. I have noticed it worse on bumps and while heading up hill (possible more noticble as assistance cuts out). Does this sound similar to any of the above issues? The fix looks fairly simple if thats the case.

Cheers,
Sounds like similar symptoms Crafty Macgyver, worth taking it to your LBD. I think Giant has since crafted a fix.

I have 2020 Explore E+1 Pro and have just started to get this cut out underway problem for the second time. Done 2800 miles so far. First time round a few months ago problem identified as magnetic speed sensor wiring which was rectified and problem appeared to have been sorted. This time round the motor cuts out more intermittently (previously it always cut out after only a few feet ) And now seems to do it when motor under load and going up our drive in particular, but not consistent pattern.. Our drive is rather potholed whereas the yard is flat and cut outs are less frequent. I’m again losing confidence in this bike which is otherwise brilliant. I will explore the solutions mentioned in this blog by others, and report back here on progress.

Cheers,
An update, I took my bike to the bike shop. They found that the battery had failed, and suspected it had been overcharged. They checked my charger and it appears to work fine. Giant replaced the battery under warranty even though the bike was out of warranty period. I noticed when I got the bike home the display was saying the range was quite a lot more than I used to have, turns out the battery they replaced it with has a higher capacity than the original one so a small bonus.
I haven't ridden far yet, but seems to have solved the problem.

Back