3" fat tire on 4" rim???

minnemike

About to get myself a 20" fat tire bike with 4" wtires - just wondering if 3" tires would fit those same wheels? I read one instance of someone claiming yes, and all you have to do is use 4" tubes so it spreads out properly. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

I'll say yes, but it depends on the rim width. I don't think you will see many 4" (100mm) rims on a 20" fat tire bike.

My Ecotric has 60mm rims (~2.5 inches) and I have run 20 x 3.0 inch tires made by Wanda with 3" tubes since last May. I did try 20 x 2.4" tires, but used a 20x 1.5" tube and they popped off. after 5 miles. leading to a long walk of shame home. I believe these would work with a larger tube.

I like the smooth tread VeeTire 26 x 3.5" Speedsters on my 26" fat tire bike and wish they made them in 20x3.5" for the smaller wheels, but they only have 20 x4.0". Too big for what I wanted.

I like the smooth tread VeeTire 26 x 3.5" Speedsters on my 26" fat tire bike and wish they made them in 20x3.5" for the smaller wheels, but they only have 20 x4.0". Too big for what I wanted.

I am interested in something like these Veetires - but only saw them in 4" - they will have to do if I cant get a good set in 3" to work. Seems there are less options for 20" in 3" width than 4".

I have a question I have the eco-tric 20 inch folding fat tire bike with the 4 inch tires is there anyway for me to get a smaller tire put on my bike currently or what I have to get totally new rims to do that I am only 5 foot one and my feet hit the ground if I’m on my tippy toes so wanted to know if having a smaller tire would help is that even possible to do with this bike?

I have a question I have the eco-tric 20 inch folding fat tire bike with the 4 inch tires is there anyway for me to get a smaller tire put on my bike currently or what I have to get totally new rims to do that I am only 5 foot one and my feet hit the ground if I’m on my tippy toes so wanted to know if having a smaller tire would help is that even possible to do with this bike?
I assume you have the seat post all the way down? I'd cut off some of the seat post if the tires have plenty of life in them.

So, the width doesnt matter for this, you would need to look at smaller sidewall. COmpared to knobbies, I think there are more street types, slicks and whatnot that sit lower. You likely only lose an inch or maybe two.

About to get myself a 20" fat tire bike with 4" tires - just wondering if 3" tires would fit those same wheels?
I read one instance of someone claiming yes, and all you have to do is use 4" tubes so it spreads out properly. Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

What is the width of the rims on your eBike? The rim width will determine the maximum and minimum tire size.

You're a little short for the Ecotric. They have the step thru now, I have the regular 20" fat tire Ecotric folder.

I've tried 20 x 2.5" tires and 20 x3" tires on the Ecotric rims, which I think are 60 mm rims. Unfortunately my trial with the 2.5" tires was cut short because I used 1.75" tubes, and they were too weak when expanded to 2.5". The leaked air and the tires popped off, and I had to push the bike a mile to get home. However the 3" tires have been on for almost a year now,

Wanda tires. With 3" inner tubes.

Comparing the 2.5" and 4" tires. I think the 2,5 tires could work with 2.5" tubes.
There's not a lot to be gained by cutting the seat post because the battery limits how low you cut. I think barely an inch to be gained, and the existing relief slot has to be duplicated.

Harry did you lose any tops speed switching to the smaller tire I considering go to a smaller tire in the future but still weighing the pros and the cons. My first is thought was that's top speed would have to be effected but then I thought the mechanical advantage of the smaller diameter would offset some of the loss what is your experience

If the voltage is the limiting factor here with a 36V battery. then the 24" tall fat tire could go 10% faster than my 22: tall 3" tire. On the other and, the knobby thread vs smooth tread pattern makes a difference, so in the end, it's all a wash, To get more speed, up the voltage.

Back to topic, here's what WTB says:
Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 4.55.07 PM.png

Where dots mean "compatible" and squares mean "optimal performance."

So for a 3" tire (72mm) you can run up to 51mm inside rim width, but preferably between 35mm and 45mm.

BTW, the advice to use 4" tubes inside of 3" tires is totally and completely wrong. Size the tubes for the tires, period.

Hi,
I'm short too, and you have a nice short bike, maybe find thicker sole shoes quicker and less $
Mike

Back