X-Treme E-Rider 48 Volt Mini Folding Electric Bicycle vs. E-Joe EPIK SE

BigMatt

X-Treme E-Rider 48 Volt Mini Folding Electric Bicycle vs. E-Joe EPIk SE

After going through a long and arduous due diligence process to find the ideal bike for my needs, I opted for the E-Joe EPIC SE for the following reasons:

1) Folding (for commuting and efficient winter storage).
2) Reasonably light (~50 LBs)
3) Smaller footprint (20“ wheels)
4) Powerful (500 W Motor, 48 V battery).
5) Hidden battery. (Or Not obviously an electric bike...)
6) Reasonable cost (~$1,500)
7) Works for a tall and heavy man like me.
8) Smooth PAS & left easy/leafy thumb throttle.
9) 7 gear
10) Other (disk braking, front suspension, etc.)

I’m writing this because the newest E-Joe EPIK SE was difficult/impossible to actually get to my house in a timely manner and to let others know I think I found a comparable alternative that may actually be superior in some ways. I’d rather have 99% of what I want in early August than 100% in October or November (as a resident of Chicago where bikes are of no use most of winter).

Well, I was having a hell of a time locating an actual E-Joe EPIK SE in stock and ready to ship after a series of frustrating delays and reassurances from EBikejoy that the bike would be shipped imminently. I finally cancelled my order no longer believing Ebikejoy had any handle on when the E-Joe might actually ship. Living in the Midwest, a few summer weeks of waiting for a bike to arrive is an eternity...

So, I set out to find an alternative that is otherwise similar/comparable to the E-Joe (but was actually in stock), and I settled on the X-Treme E-Rider Mini.

In many regards, it was very similar (weight, appearance, motor, color selection, speed, battery, cost, gears, controller, etc.). Looking a little deeper, it seemed very similar in virtually every important spec/comparable except for the following:

Favorable comparable vs E-Joe:
  1. Font & rear suspension system. (E-Joe has front suspension fork only.)
  2. USB charging Port on display panel. (E-Joe in battery only).
  3. 100% Aluminum (down to the screws). I think the E-Joe is largely but not entirely so.
Unfavorable comparable vs E-Joe:
  1. 8 Ah vs 10 Ah battery 48 V Battery (causing some likely/possible diminished range).
  2. Rear Rack and fenders not included on X-Treme. (Both easy/cheap fixes).
  3. A total lack of reviews online for X-Treme E-Rider and a plethora (vast majority positive) for E-Joe EPIK.
X-Treme specs:

E-Joe Specs:
https://ejoebike.net/product/epik-se/

Well, the X-Treme E-Rider Mini arrived after 5 business days of ordering ($1,499 including shipping from California to Chicago from the very helpful and friendly folks at www.bikeberry.com), and I love it after riding it and putting it through the gauntlet for a few days. Its 5 level PAS and power delivery is very smooth, which was a major reason I was attracted to the E-Joe. The stopping power is tremendous. The acceleration on (leafy) throttle has a strong kick (up to 20 MPH+ fast!). The front/back suspension system handles fast riding over big speed bumps easily and comfortably. The gearing fits the bike well (no gerbil wheeling) and it’s a great/easy bike to ride on PAS level zero (or no power). The bike build is high quality and it was thoughtfully/carefully packaged. The controller and panel is terrific (with a USB port for easy phone charging while mounted to handle bars). It has no built-in front headlight, but the (mounted) light included by X-Treme in the box is sturdy metal and high quality. It’s only been a few days of riding, but I love the X-Treme E-Rider mini so far. I don’t have an E-Joe for a fair first person comparison, but the X-Treme has exceeded the (well researched) expectations I had for the E-Joe before my purchase calendar forced me in a new direction.

In any regard, I recommend taking a look at this X-Treme E-Rider Mini (48v) bike if you too had your mind set on an E-Joe, but can’t get the order filled... or you’re just looking for a fast, comfy and quality folding bike.

You've had it for a few months, how do you feel now? Same boat here . . ejoe vs. X-treme. The ejoe (test driven) from LBS with service available nearby but costs so much more money? Or seemingly comparable, much cheaper X-treme (without test drive)?

You've had it for a few months, how do you feel now? Same boat here . . ejoe vs. X-treme. The ejoe (test driven) from LBS with service available nearby but costs so much more money? Or seemingly comparable, much cheaper X-treme (without test drive)?

I really like it as a smaller folder. Durability has been been good, and it’s compact but still fits me well at 6’3 and 220 lbs.

I haven’t done a real full range test from full charge to dead, but extrapolation of a couple 10 mile rides gives me reasonable confidence of a 15 mile minimum range (with a 220 pound rider), minimal hills and heavy throttle use. It might get me 20. (It’s only a 8 Ah versus 10 ah (I think for E-Joe). This only matters if you’re going longer than ~15 miles though. The E-Joe’s extra 2 ahs might get you an extra 5 mile range

I currently mostly use custom kit builds (on a Trek Verve and Saigula fat tire bike) for most daily commutes, but still use the e-rider mini often when I need to throw a bike in a trunk or otherwise need a more compact bike.

Unfortunately, I haven’t test ridden an E-Joe so I don’t have a true apples to apples comparison.

Good luck!

Reactions: KBG

By the way, this is the fender set I use on the X-Treme E-Rider mini. Nothing fancy, but they fit well and are < $20.

SKS Rowdy 20-24" Set BLK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013CVZGC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3A0YDbQZ1YA7H

I also used this $21 rear rack, which fit:

Ventura Universal Bike Rack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NGF4W4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_AE0YDbMQ8F203

Reactions: KBG
Thanks. I went with the eJoe from the LBS. He was extremely helpful. And he came way down on the price. Still more than the X-treme, but not $700 more, afterall. So I get the one I know fits my height and reach, and I have this nice LBS owner nearby. . .but thanks for all the info. I was really waffling.

Well we have 2 epic se’s With about 500 miles on each. They have been great little bikes. We had an issue on one at 300 miles, rear bearings died, out of warrantee. Called Ejoe since no one would touch it locally (didn’t sell it). Sent back to San Diego, tech looked it over for $100 replaced rear wheel completely and shipped back. Rode it a week and bearings didn’t sound right. Called Ejoe, paid freight both ways replaced again for free and this one is just fine. Don’t think I could have expected any better service, very fair and accommodating. Highly recommend. Oh yeah, I’m 6’1” and 200 lbs and I can easily get 35-40 miles per charge, wife gets more smaller.

Back