250 miles on ODO, have my first rear flat

Jeffrios

The post thread title sums it up. I have 250 miles on my CCS, I have my first flat on the rear tire.

I was never able to get the removal tool since its out of stock from Juiced. All of my local hardware stores are out of stock or do not carry 18 mm offset wrenches.

If I have to wait a week for the tool to arrive I'm tempted to get a better tire to protect the rear tube. I've seen the CCS Tire Upgrade thread, but it didn't focus on puncture resistance. I'm not interested in going tubeless. What do you recommend that I get to replace the stock tire for better "broken glass" resistance? Also, what size works with the CCS? 700C X _____

You might want to get a Gaadi tube for emergencies as well. I always carried one when I had a hub drive ebike. You can replace the tube without taking the wheel off the bike at all if you’re caught out without tools or some other inconvenient circumstance.

Many bike shops sell them, along with Amazon and the other usual places.

Their German website (in English):

https://gaadi.de/?lang=en

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They make it in the same size as the stock tire. Also the Schwalbe Energizer Plus, which is not quite as puncture resistant (its protection layer is "only" 3mm vs. 5mm on the Marathon Plus), but is rated for e-bike use up to 50 km/h.

I agree with Nova Haibike on the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires. I have a set on my commuter eBike and eMTB. I bought them from
a Germain Website Bike24.com and even with shipping I saved about $30 per set. Bike24 carried a slightly wider mtb tire 2.25 that was not available in the states so I went with that model. I like the tires very much, only have about 700 miles
total. Because of the 5mm puncture material the tires are a bit more comfortable then tires without.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/marathon_plus_mtb

You might want to get a Gaadi tube for emergencies as well. I always carried one when I had a hub drive ebike. You can replace the tube without taking the wheel off the bike at all if you’re caught out without tools or some other inconvenient circumstance.

Many bike shops sell them, along with Amazon and the other usual places.

Their German website (in English):

https://gaadi.de/?lang=en

Excellent suggestion Dave ! I've been meaning to buy a couple of Gaadi Tubes just in case. There is no way I'll be removing my rear
rim/tire, patching etc while stuck out in the middle of no where.

I agree with carrying a GAADI tube, I have one in my kit, even though I'm running tubeless.
You may want to read some reviews on the Marathon's, their puncture resistance seems great, but I've read many reports about poor traction and handling, especially in the wet.
I know Continental makes some tires with the same sort of puncture resistant layer as the Marathons.

Other things to consider, tire liners, and filling your tube with tire slime.

I've ridden the Marathon Plus for something over 1200 miles. No problems with flats. Some say they're too stiff and/or heavy. Maybe I have no basis for comparison, but you couldn't tell it by me; they seem just fine. Also, I've had no problem with traction, wet or dry pavement. I run them towards the lower end of the recommended PSI range, don't know if that makes a difference, besides being a more comfortable ride.

Back