24" Intercepter........How to make it a smoother ride for her?

justforfun

I lowered tire PSI to 38# F and 39# R. Really rides better for me, but I've got 75 pounds on her.
Ideas/suggestions please. She's not keen on selling the bike and I don't mind adding whatever equipment that will smooth the ride and make her happy.

I lowered tire PSI to 38# F and 39# R. Really rides better for me, but I've got 75 pounds on her.
Ideas/suggestions please. She's not keen on selling the bike and I don't mind adding whatever equipment that will smooth the ride and make her happy.

Body Float suspension seatpost.

You might try wider tires for a little more cushion. 24" tires aren't as readily available as most sizes, but they're out there.
BF says they partner with Pedego. What does that mean?
I'm a Pedego dealer, and I'm not sure, exactly, but we highly recommend BodyFloats.

My wife loves hers! You need to be careful about fit, though, on the 24" Interceptor. It adds some height to the seat and lays back a bit, so it might hit the battery sleeve if your wife is short, like most 24" Interceptor owners. I took my wife's post off her City Commuter and put it on a 24" Interceptor, so you could see what I mean (see photo). My wife's non-Pedego seat is as far back as it will go, and her seat is nosed way up, because the Commuter's seat tube angle is different and she likes the nose up a little, so it shouldn't be as drastic on your wife's bike, but it could be an issue.

By the way, I don't think the BodyFloat comes in the Interceptor seatpost diameter, so you need a shim, but they're cheap.

Attachments

• IMG_5901.JPG
    IMG_5901.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 926
Thank-you!! I showed my wife your pic and we will check with the retailer here in town. She wants a more flat seat than nose up.

I ended up using a Suntour NCX. It has replaceable and inexpensive springs graded by weight of rider. I added a Selle Royal Gel seat and went to larger tire that I sometimes run nearer their lower range. Works for me. I'm less than able and need to protect my back. Make sure any seat post with suspension is rebuildable or has replaceable spring or rubber like blocks. It is limited to bike with shorter seat tubes, but the specs are clear. Buy the right size and don't mess with shims on an aluminum frame. Available some places for $75-85 with spare spring. I couldn't spend $249 on a post when the NCX and more expensive elastomer (replaceable) around $130 do the same job for me. I haven't riden a BodyFloat. They wouldn't sell in the shops near me.
Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 4.31.34 PM.png

Last edited:
Pulled her seat post and got the numbers stamped on it and measured with a caliper. 20.6MM 0.80In.
There is apparently an adjustment for the stock post shock. Do I simply unscrew the Allen head to lessen stiffness?

Backed off the Allen head which softened the ride considerably. She wants front shocks before buying a Body Float.

Any shock suggestions?

Consider a suspension stem as an alternative to suspension forks. This adds less weight to your bike and removes much of the stress on a rider's upper body and hands from bumpy roads. Found the ShockStop stem made by Redshift, not expensive, $139 and it allows you to adjust the stiffness of the dampers. They make one for a flat profile and a version with a 30 degree rise which could be nice for the more upright position on the Interceptor.

redshift suspension stem2.jpg
redshift suspension stem.jpg

Suspension forks for 24" wheels are not as common but I found a decent set by Suntour, the SR Suntour XCR LO 24, an air dampened fork with a lockout and 63mm travel. That's ok for streets and on a city or commuter style bike like the Interceptor where it's less likely that you'll be riding in rough offroad conditions.

SR Suntour XCR Air 24 Fork.jpg

Never knew a suspension stem existed. Interesting. Off to find reviews....

Well, 3 yrs on our Pedegos & I Have found out a few interesting ways to improve our Rides ! First, had an idea about buying Cheaper "walmart" Chinese tires for her 24" interceptor & So far, So good,...as they cushion the ride as well !! I've also found excellent results with the "cane creek THUDBUSTER"...at about $170. Affordable & I feel worth it as well !..."HELLO FUN" !!!

Consider a suspension stem as an alternative to suspension forks. This adds less weight to your bike and removes much of the stress on a rider's upper body and hands from bumpy roads. Found the ShockStop stem made by Redshift, not expensive, $139 and it allows you to adjust the stiffness of the dampers. They make one for a flat profile and a version with a 30 degree rise which could be nice for the more upright position on the Interceptor.

View attachment 14399 View attachment 14402

Suspension forks for 24" wheels are not as common but I found a decent set by Suntour, the SR Suntour XCR LO 24, an air dampened fork with a lockout and 63mm travel. That's ok for streets and on a city or commuter style bike like the Interceptor where it's less likely that you'll be riding in rough offroad conditions.

View attachment 14408
THANKYOU Tom & Ann ! ...Can I ask you Both,...if you know, if that "Shock Top, Red shift" Suspension stem will fit a 2015, 24" interceptor ??....Thanks for Posting these ideas !!

Back