Téo full suspension

CanCD

Hey everyone ,
Thanks for all the information posted about the bikes so far. It's been really helpful reading about the different experiences with Téo, I'm in Nova Scotia and haven't had an opportunity to ride one yet.
I haven't read a review for the full suspension. I want to commute 9km one way for work every day and ride light trails on weekend. My main concern is will the 750watt rear hub have all the climbing power I want or do I need to go with the full suspension as it has the mid drive. I don't need the extra suspension , but it's the only model with the mid drive. I've attached a graph of my route, I hope someone will have experience with similar elevation changes and be able to say if the 750 w rear hub will climb them no problem. The biggest rise is a 60meter rise over a 120 meter run. I'm 190lbs and usually don't bring much gear with me, so approx 200lbs total weight on the bike. Thanks for reading , looking forward to your input.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180613-212131.png
    Screenshot_20180613-212131.png
    191.2 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
Hey everyone ,
Thanks for all the information posted about the bikes so far. It's been really helpful reading about the different experiences with Téo, I'm in Nova Scotia and haven't had an opportunity to ride one yet.
I haven't read a review for the full suspension. I want to commute 9km one way for work every day and ride light trails on weekend. My main concern is will the 750watt rear hub have all the climbing power I want or do I need to go with the full suspension as it has the mid drive. I don't need the extra suspension , but it's the only model with the mid drive. I've attached a graph of my route, I hope someone will have experience with similar elevation changes and be able to say if the 750 w rear hub will climb them no problem. The biggest rise is a 60meter rise over a 120 meter run. I'm 190lbs and usually don't bring much gear with me, so approx 200lbs total weight on the bike. Thanks for reading , looking forward to your input.

Good day @CanCD where in Nova Scotia do you live? I use to be in the Navy so I spent a few years in Halifax area.

Looking at your route, I believe you would have no issue with the rear hub for sure. I haven't meet anyone that bought the full suspension with mid drive yet.

But I heard many different +/- about the mid drive, like no throttle on most of them like this one. I personally like my throttle on takeoff.

I loaded a picture of my daily commute and I only have a 500W motor, which I wish sometime I had the 750W, I can't never so no to more power. But the 500W as been getting me around very well.

I hope this help you and I am sure you will enjoy whatever the model to pick, since they are all great!!!

Cheers

bike route.jpg

I didn't think Canadian bikes were allowed over 500 watt?
I can attest to the power of both 500 and 750watt rear hubs.
I frequent pulling my daughter on a trailer bike up and down hills in my area of virginia.
I like the 750 watt much better, it also has throttle enabled.
If I was going full suspension, I would have to look at what " lunacycle" has to offer

Hi @CanCD

Not sure of the legalities, but Teo does offer the 750w in Canada. I also bought the 500w bike thinking it was the 750w. I emailed Benoit about this, and I have to say, his response was professional and cooperative in straightening things out. I completed the 750w swap last year before the snow hit here, but it was with the square wave controller.

In short, I did not like the square wave controller at all. Hated it actually.... It has the highest current rating @ 22 amps, but also has a very different power curve that the sine wave. PAS1 on the square wave controller feels like PAS4 or 5 on a sine wave controller. I could not pedal slowly over difficult terrain like I could with the sine wave controller. It felt like it had more pull than the sine wave, but not what I would call drastic. I now use the 750w sine wave controller and like it much better. It has more pull than the 500w but again, nothing drastic. I still weigh in at 250lbs :eek:, and if I am pedaling, can go up some pretty steep inclines. If I use throttle only, not so much.

If you look at the ampere ratings of the 500w vs the 750w, the math doesn't seem to add up. The 500w can output 864w and the 750w can output 960w. That's only a difference of 96 watts....(this is a whole other discussion I know...a lot of "what if's" that we don't know the answers to) lol.

Anyways, I hope this helps a bit with the power of the hub motor. I have not tried a mid drive, so no experience to give on that. I can't say it will have all the climbing power you want because I just don't know that:)

Hi @CanCD

Not sure of the legalities, but Teo does offer the 750w in Canada. I also bought the 500w bike thinking it was the 750w. I emailed Benoit about this, and I have to say, his response was professional and cooperative in straightening things out. I completed the 750w swap last year before the snow hit here, but it was with the square wave controller.

In short, I did not like the square wave controller at all. Hated it actually.... It has the highest current rating @ 22 amps, but also has a very different power curve that the sine wave. PAS1 on the square wave controller feels like PAS4 or 5 on a sine wave controller. I could not pedal slowly over difficult terrain like I could with the sine wave controller. It felt like it had more pull than the sine wave, but not what I would call drastic. I now use the 750w sine wave controller and like it much better. It has more pull than the 500w but again, nothing drastic. I still weigh in at 250lbs :eek:, and if I am pedaling, can go up some pretty steep inclines. If I use throttle only, not so much.

If you look at the ampere ratings of the 500w vs the 750w, the math doesn't seem to add up. The 500w can output 864w and the 750w can output 960w. That's only a difference of 96 watts....(this is a whole other discussion I know...a lot of "what if's" that we don't know the answers to) lol.

Anyways, I hope this helps a bit with the power of the hub motor. I have not tried a mid drive, so no experience to give on that. I can't say it will have all the climbing power you want because I just don't know that:)
Falken, Did you get the Sine save contoller from Benoit?. You describe my problem to a "T".
Know my last couple of rides I have to stay aware of how long I'm going up hill as it will now shut down with code "H3" if I remember correctly.

Hi Dan,

Yes Benoit sent me the new 750w sine wave controllers. He actually sent 2 of them to me last year, but those weren't fully compatible. The speedo would not read correctly, and they didn't work with the xe/xd front headlight. I sent those back to him, and he called the supplier to get the new ones.

In addition to the power curve I didn't like, the square wave controller I had also would shut down as you stated. Each time I was hill climbing it would just shut down when the going got a little tough, but it didn't throw a code. Being an electrician, I just assumed it was a thermal cut out or equivalent, as it would kick back in with a minute or so. Quite frustrating when you're trying to climb a hill..... (the same hills I climbed to the top with the old 500w controller with no problems)

I only kept the square wave controllers in the bikes for a week before I contacted Benoit and told him I was sending them back. Benoit was cooperative, but it did take a while for him to contact the supplier, figure out the issues, and finally get the new controllers to me though. I wasn't happy about that but it was a pretty brisk winter here and I wouldn't have been riding anyway.

Thank you for the promt reply, So I called Benoit, He only offered that I could buy the Sine Wave controller ($220 ca$) not swap! No discount.
That's disapointing!
What configuration of a 750 Watt bike is Teo selling? It can't be what we swapped out with.

Hmmm. Possibly I got to swap because I asked last year? I really can't say.
I'm not sure what configuration the 750w is for the new bikes. I'm assuming it is the sine wave controller, unless they have a new power curve for their square wave. I just can't imagine many people liking the one I (and yourself) tried out.

I think that you can sell the 750W motor in Canada but the controller has a setting to limit the max speed but you can over-ride that. At least that's my understanding. I don't own one yet. I'm just in the market right now and doing some research. This seems to be the approach Voltbike takes. They say
"BAFANG (8Fun) is the world’s biggest maker of hub motors for e-bikes. When developing and manufacturing products, BAFANG always puts great emphasis on their reliability, quality and longevity. VoltBike Yukon 750 is using Bafang G06 series geared motor which provides 80 N.m. max torque and 750w pure power. For Canadian consumers the motor power is limited to 500w so it comply with Canada regulations."

Where I was confused is that I thought that Teo and Voltbike both used the same G06 motor but it seems that there is a G06.500 and a G06.750.

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm a newbie here.

...Roger

I didn't think Canadian bikes were allowed over 500 watt?
I can attest to the power of both 500 and 750watt rear hubs.
I frequent pulling my daughter on a trailer bike up and down hills in my area of virginia.
I like the 750 watt much better, it also has throttle enabled.
If I was going full suspension, I would have to look at what " lunacycle" has to offer

Back