German Engineering at its Best

• Thread starter Deleted member 803
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 803

Thought I would share with you a photo of a redesigned stem that provides a hidden conduit for cabling to keep the look of the bike very clean.

The Model is a 2016 Kalkhoff Aventura Speed 1.0 and contains version 3 of their Impulse Drive. The bike now has 80nm of torque and runs quieter. In addition the display has a USB port for charging plus it will show turn by turn navigation.

I have to wait until the fall to receive, but I have no problem waiting.
upload_2015-6-7_11-16-39.png

upload_2015-6-7_11-19-15.png

Great looking stem and super cool bike...the guy is a little bit Euro-centric-dorkey, but who am I to judge, lol. Can't wait for your reviews. Keep on E-biken.

Great looking stem and super cool bike...the guy is a little bit Euro-centric-dorkey, but who am I to judge, lol. Can't wait for your reviews. Keep on E-biken.

Yeah, for an e-bike ad, lets get a man-purse wearing (ok, he left it at home today), coffee carrying stylish bearded dude to walk the bike. That'll rake in the sales, genius!

well at least he's not an old white man in spandex . Given the target market for the bike in Germany, this is a spot on image since he represents an urban sophisticated millennial, a lumbersexual beard which is very very popular, and he drinks coffee on the go. The photo screams "contemporary adult."

The railing in the foreground of the photo i find distracting , the photo screams fake , does he even ride it or just get paid to pose - would hate to dirty those $1000 shoes

Does anyone else think the coffee cup is photoshopped? Maybe just covered over in white...poorly. Either way, it is a comically small coffee!

Hey, at least he has his riding boots on right?

The railing in the foreground of the photo i find distracting , the photo screams fake , does he even ride it or just get paid to pose - would hate to dirty those $1000 shoes
No, hence lumbersexual!

Does anyone else think the coffee cup is photoshopped? Maybe just covered over in white...poorly. Either way, it is a comically small coffee!

Hey, at least he has his riding boots on right?
A doppio espresso, which is what the world drinks, doesn't need a big cup.

Lastly, Im 86 and sport a long white beard as you can see in my photo. I must admit it has served me very well with the ladies....

I had the opportunity test ride Focus (Jarifa - 20mph limited) and Kalkhoff's (Agattu). I drained the battery 612 Whr in approx 56 miles and I was pedaling all the time.
While the engineering part is sophisticated, the bike had a sappy ride feel to it. May be they climb better in very hilly areas but their non-speed models don't elicit that "wow" factor at all, because it takes a while to get them to speed from dead start.
They are great bikes, don't get me wrong. And their speed motors are quite fun.

I am also waiting for their Integrale S11, which is due, soon.

I had the opportunity test ride Focus (Jarifa - 20mph limited) and Kalkhoff's (Agattu). I drained the battery 612 Whr in approx 56 miles and I was pedaling all the time.
While the engineering part is sophisticated, the bike had a sappy ride feel to it. May be they climb better in very hilly areas but their non-speed models don't elicit that "wow" factor at all, because it takes a while to get them to speed from dead start.

Ravi, in general I agree with your assessment. Many riders believe that mid-drives and wattage are the key factors in performance. This is, of course, not true. I test rode many mid-drives and rear hub drives before deciding that the Dapu 350W geared drive provided excellent hill climbing and quick acceleration to speed. However, I find that almost all rear hub controllers offer a somewhat artificial biking experience in that they don't deliver power in a seamless and almost unnoticeable manner. Both Bosch and Impulse have a much better and more natural bicycle feel.

On my Neo Carbon I am up to 20mph before I exit my cul-de-sac and I never use anything but ECO mode. The other modes provide almost too much power in a very unnatural manner. On the impulse drive, you are slower to speed and I find that I need to up the power level to achieve speed in a relatively similar time frame to the Dapu Motor. The advantage of the mid-drive is their low gear low speed pull. I tested an Impulse mid drive in San Francisco at 5mph going what seemed like a 90 degree grade (wickedly steep hill). The yank on the motor was astonishing.

So, the net result of moving away from the Dapu Motor is that I will work a little harder on flat lands but gain significantly more yank on steep hills. This fits with my desire to increase my workouts without cutting them short due to exhaustion on hill climbs.

The other motivation is that I want the experience of testing various e-bike configurations. I never keep stuff for very long and like the continuing education.

The Kalkhoff design spec, fit, and finish is extremely high. I am eager to experience a belt drive internally geared system. I test rode a (Spot Acme) with an Alfine 11 and belt. It was a wonderfully satisfying experience. The new Impulse EVO (essentially version 3) has been noise baffled and now has 80nm of torque. Sometimes, on the days when I know who I am and where I am, I tend to ride, linger, ride, linger, ride and so can be out on my bike for 4-6 hours at a time. The efficiency of the mid drive coupled with a large battery gives me a failsafe to get home.

BTW, I like the ST2 very much just not the value proposition. I will probably wait for Stromer to find a new home and the delivery of the ST3 before buying one.

Agreed on the lack of "wow" factor on the Kalkhoff/Focus. I did a test ride of a Focus Aventura with the carbon drive and the IGH and wasn't impressed by the speed. I'm also not a fan of the jerkiness that comes with the shift-detect/motor-cutoff. I understand that it reduces wear on the chain and cogs, but it's really off-putting. Also, I tried a mid-drive Haibike on the hills of SF a few weeks ago to test its hill-climbing, and it accelerated quickly to 11mph and then just didn't have the power to accelerate any more, whereas with my 500W rear hub motor ebike, the mechanics might not be as optimal because the motor isn't able to use the mechanical advantage provided by the gears, but the raw power of 500W/750W peak assured that I'd be going 14 mph up that same hill that the Haibike struggled to maintain 11mph on. It's kind of strange to say, but rear hub motors can be better hill climbers than mid-drives (granted, this is because mid-drives rarely offer more than 350W).

I really thought I'd like the mid-drives more as they offer that gearing advantage, but when it comes to riding feel, I guess I prefer the rear hub motors.

Agreed on the lack of "wow" factor on the Kalkhoff/Focus. I did a test ride of a Focus Aventura with the carbon drive and the IGH and wasn't impressed by the speed. I'm also not a fan of the jerkiness that comes with the shift-detect/motor-cutoff. I understand that it reduces wear on the chain and cogs, but it's really off-putting. Also, I tried a mid-drive Haibike on the hills of SF a few weeks ago to test its hill-climbing, and it accelerated quickly to 11mph and then just didn't have the power to accelerate any more, whereas with my 500W rear hub motor ebike, the mechanics might not be as optimal because the motor isn't able to use the mechanical advantage provided by the gears, but the raw power of 500W/750W peak assured that I'd be going 14 mph up that same hill that the Haibike struggled to maintain 11mph on. It's kind of strange to say, but rear hub motors can be better hill climbers than mid-drives (granted, this is because mid-drives rarely offer more than 350W).

I really thought I'd like the mid-drives more as they offer that gearing advantage, but when it comes to riding feel, I guess I prefer the rear hub motors.
Where did you do the test ride? My understanding is that the belt driven Focus bikes aren't shipping til the end of the month.

Back