2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

@Prairie Dog: Winter is back to Poland :) I just wanted you not feel alone :)

This morning, my car was frozen so I could not pull my Vado from the car for an urgent morning ride, had to ride on Vado SL instead. As I was talking with the doctor, she told me she believed my cycling was the reason to keep me healthy even if I was (mistakenly) getting too low a dose of some medication. She also asked: "Oh, but did you actually ride here in snow?!" -- to which I replied "What snow?" :D

After I visited my Old Home, a townhall, a pharmacy, and an LBS, I was met by a snowfall :)
Thanks for those encouraging words, Stefan. If it’s any consolation, I think the worst is behind us. We did receive a special weather statement but l still feel confident that the missus and I will be out on the road by the end of the month.

My credo to riding in winter is how it can influence the way you overcome adversities in life. Good on you. 👍

I was down south this weekend for my son's robotic competition but the weather was too gorgeous to spend it all inside so I took the bike for a spin during the preliminary matches on Sunday with the plan to be back for the playoffs.

Screenshot_20240318-212718~2.png
Screenshot_20240318-200743~2.png

I had loosely plotted a course to get down to the Foothills Trail for my ride. It is a 700ft descent over about several miles with enough turns and steep sections to keep it interesting. I got to the bottom only to find the road closed by the Sheriff due to a car over an embankment. The last crossroad had been near the top of the hill several miles back, so I thought I was screwed. But when I got to the deputy he took a look at me and told me I could walk my bike across the closed section and around the tow truck!

The trail was nice if a little flat, and less crowded than I expected. But it does have some great views

PXL_20240317_180438250~2.jpg

PXL_20240317_180011327~2.jpg

The trail will be 21 miles when fully complete but the are several bridges still to be repaired/constructed which require detours on the busy state route near the trail.

It was so warm I ducked behind a porta toilet to get down to shorts and tshirt only to find out I was interrupting someone's lunch! He didn't seem to mind though...
PXL_20240317_190225533.jpg

After getting to Enumclaw I had to hightail back to the school in high assist on roads to make it in time for the playoffs! What a beautiful day, more like a nice late April day than mid March.

Attachments

• PXL_20240317_180425243~2.jpg
    PXL_20240317_180425243~2.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20240317_175258604.jpg
    PXL_20240317_175258604.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20240317_185642697~2.jpg
    PXL_20240317_185642697~2.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 34
Specialized Warsaw SOHO

The day was rather cold but the sunshine was as magnificent as I asked for a leave from work and headed towards South Praga (a big quarter of Warsaw). Historically, the whole Vistula right bank part used to be called Praga (the word exactly means Prague, like the capital of Czech Republic!) Now, it has been divided and greatly expanded.

1710893885715.png

It is probably the most central apartment block in Warsaw, with its windows overlooking the Palace of Culture and Science and the Holy Cross Park. It is where @Brix and I will spend a week together in April (when she arrives from London). So we're living in the City this time!

1710894417076.png

My sporty
Fearless. Now, she looks like a Vado SL 4.0 unequipped! Notice the 11-51T cassette, and the 36T chainring. I made all these modifications for this year's gravel races!

1710894600327.png

The other Specialized Brand Store, Specialized Warsaw Soho is located in a gentrified northermost part of South Praga. It is located 27 km from where I live while the main Specialized Warsaw LBS is 32 km away.

I was not familiar with any employee of "Soho". Out of sudden, a man greeted me friendly. 'What are you doing here?' -- I said, surprised -- 'I know you from the other store!' -- 'Oh yes' -- he replied -- 'I'm sharing my time between both stores!'

The man was very pleasant. He invited me to come on Saturday, when I will be given an unique chance to demo ride this bike (free of charge):

1710894989898.png

This is the Specialized Epic 8, the latest "fastest XC bike in the world" :)

1710895067925.png

The latest SRAM GX drivetrain with UDH...

1710895116840.png

With electronic shifting! You would be shocked to see the handlebars of this bike! Not only totally flat but also completely straight, 780 mm width!

1710895848694.png

The purchase: two tyres for the tubeless conversion of my Vado SL.

1710895235799.png

Now you can understand the level of gentrification of the area. The building itself is old but the sign "Railway Station CHODZIEŻ" has been brought from a small town in Greater Poland! The railroad was built...

1710894733258.png

...and locomotive was brought here to emulate railway experience! This area is totally gentrified!

I realized I was in South Praga... Well? I pedalled for just one kilometre to find myself in "Fregata", the best restaurant bar serving Polish cuisine!

1710895958604.png

A starter: So-called "low-salt cucumber". It is a Polish specialty of June: a shortly fermented cucumber with dill and garlic. The bar had the low-salt cucumber made in March! Wow! Usually, you drink a small glass of vodka and bite on the low-salt cucumber; I just wanted the taste of the Summer!

An old joke:
A university student comes with his girlfriend to a low class restaurant and snaps his fingers at the waiter:
'What would you like to have, sir?' -- The student makes a lordly gesture -- 'Oh, bring us the best champagne and oysters!" -- To which the waiter replies -- 'Very well, sir! Now, what should it actually be?' -- 'A bottle of vodka and low-salt cucumbers...' :D

1710896645250.png

I chose my favourite meal: Pierogi Ruskie with Polish Clear Borscht. I have a very simple taste! :)

1710896749206.png

Charles de Gaulle by the Stock Exchange (formerly: The Central Committee of The Polish United Workers' Party -- a.k.a. the ruling Communist party).

1710896876127.png

There's been a lot of talking about "blinking tail-light" in these Fora. Let me just tell you the Knog Road Blinder R70 tail-light in its lowest non-blinking mode must be visible from a half of kilometre, so bright it is! (You can turn on all 4 LEDs instead of 2 if you must but that's blinding).

1710897589348.png

A detailed map with Points of Interests.

55 km for the day.

Last edited:
Today was the day! Knees are pain-free, and Alan was raring to go!

1000003751.jpg

The goal was to get out and get the knee joints moving without much resistance. Used lots of assist, lower gears, and more throttle than usual 😁. It all seemed to work, because everything continued to feel good throughout the ride.

The weather was almost perfect - clear and sunny, but a bit chilly and breezy as we started out. It warmed up pretty quickly though, and it felt great to be out in my Flow again! We startled a pack of HUGE wild turkeys as the trail passed through a wooded area, but they were quick little buggers and disappeared among the trees by the time I got stopped and pulled my camera out...

We rode just under 5 miles to a convenient turn around point. I felt like I could have gone further, but decided not to push my luck my first day out!

1000003752.jpg

Here's my PM at the turn around, out and about on his new-ish hip, with his Frankenbike in the background 🤣. We rode back the way we came, and finished with just under 10 miles.

1000003755.png

Rain is supposed to move in, and temperatures drop beginning tomorrow - all our NC friends have been accusing us of bringing our Whidbey Island weather with us 🤣🤣!

Looking forward to more regular riding in more NC spring-like temps once we return from our week in Mexico!

Attachments

• 1000003754.png
    1000003754.png
    655.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Specialized Warsaw SOHO

The day was rather cold but the sunshine was as magnificent as I asked for a leave from work and headed towards South Praga (a big quarter of Warsaw). Historically, the whole Vistula right bank part used to be called Praga (the word exactly means Prague, like the capital of Czech Republic!) Now, it has been divided and greatly expanded.

View attachment 172828
It is probably the most central apartment block in Warsaw, with its windows overlooking the Palace of Culture and Science and the Holy Cross Park. It is where @Brix and I will spend a week together in April (when she arrives from London). So we're living in the City this time!

View attachment 172829
My sporty
Fearless. Now, she looks like a Vado SL 4.0 unequipped! Notice the 11-51T cassette, and the 36T chainring. I made all these modifications for this year's gravel races!

View attachment 172830
The other Specialized Brand Store, Specialized Warsaw Soho is located in a gentrified northermost part of South Praga. It is located 27 km from where I live while the main Specialized Warsaw LBS is 32 km away.

I was not familiar with any employee of "Soho". Out of sudden, a man greeted me friendly. 'What are you doing here?' -- I said, surprised -- 'I know you from the other store!' -- 'Oh yes' -- he replied -- 'I'm sharing my time between both stores!'

The man was very pleasant. He invited me to come on Saturday, when I will be given an unique chance to demo ride this bike (free of charge):

View attachment 172832
This is the Specialized Epic 8, the latest "fastest XC bike in the world" :)

View attachment 172833
The latest SRAM GX drivetrain with UDH...

View attachment 172834
With electronic shifting! You would be shocked to see the handlebars of this bike! Not only totally flat but also completely straight, 780 mm width!

View attachment 172836
The purchase: two tyres for the tubeless conversion of my Vado SL.

View attachment 172835
Now you can understand the level of gentrification of the area. The building itself is old but the sign "Railway Station CHODZIEŻ" has been brought from a small town in Greater Poland! The railroad was built...

View attachment 172831
...and locomotive was brought here to emulate railway experience! This area is totally gentrified!

I realized I was in South Praga... Well? I pedalled for just one kilometre to find myself in "Fregata", the best restaurant bar serving Polish cuisine!

View attachment 172837
A starter: So-called "low-salt cucumber". It is a Polish specialty of June: a shortly fermented cucumber with dill and garlic. The bar had the low-salt cucumber made in March! Wow! Usually, you drink a small glass of vodka and bite on the low-salt cucumber; I just wanted the taste of the Summer!

An old joke:
A university student comes with his girlfriend to a low class restaurant and snaps his fingers at the waiter:
'What would you like to have, sir?' -- The student makes a lordly gesture -- 'Oh, bring us the best champagne and oysters!" -- To which the waiter replies -- 'Very well, sir! Now, what should it actually be?' -- 'A bottle of vodka and low-salt cucumbers...' :D

View attachment 172838
I chose my favourite meal: Pierogi Ruskie with Polish Clear Borscht. I have a very simple taste! :)

View attachment 172839
Charles de Gaulle by the Stock Exchange (formerly: The Central Committee of The Polish United Workers' Party -- a.k.a. the ruling Communist party).

View attachment 172840
There's been a lot of talking about "blinking tail-light" in these Fora. Let me just tell you the Knog Road Blinder R70 tail-light in its lowest non-blinking mode must be visible from a half of kilometre, so bright it is! (You can turn on all 4 LEDs instead of 2 if you must but that's blinding).

View attachment 172841
A detailed map with Points of Interests.

55 km for the day.
That statue, Gaulle looks like he's about to wave to Bridget Bardot.

I'm in a quandary here, building a nice Santa Cruz 29 superlight frame into a hub drive, I've bought so many of my mates cast offs that I might keep it as an acoustic.
Should I do it...
Got his 29 wheelset with the 12 speed dinner plate sized cassette, it's freaking huuuge.

I'm in a quandary here, building a nice Santa Cruz 29 superlight frame into a hub drive, I've bought so many of my mates cast offs that I might keep it as an acoustic.
Should I do it...
Got his 29 wheelset with the 12 speed dinner plate sized cassette, it's freaking huuuge.
Guess you didn't know about EBR's don't ask, don't tell policy.

That statue, Gaulle looks like he's about to wave to Bridget Bardot.
Indeed! I'd say it is a very nice statue. De Gaulle looks there like an active person, someone you could watch in TV broadcasts when he was at the height of his power. Necessary to mention de Gaulle served as a Captain and a military advisor during the 1920 Polish-Bolshevik war, for which he is fondly remembered by Poles.

A Nasty Stuck Screw Ride

During the mods done to my Vado SL, I have found a screw (that originally held the rear mudguard), which was extending from the frame and was completely stuck. It's socket was damaged; any attempt to remove the bolt with pliers failed. "Come to me" said Jacek over the Messenger. The day was cold but sunny again. Instead of taking a beaten track, I rode into the Kampinos National Park to relieve the boredom.

1710981757383.png

I took this photo on my return ride. The arrow points at the location of the removed screw. That darn screw would prevent me from installing new wider tyres or the set of SKS Speedrocker gravel mudguards!

1710982165254.png

At Jacek's. The e-bike in the background is (formerly mine) Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro. I have never needed an e-MTB! When I donated that e-bike to my brother, he made it a proper off-road e-bike again, getting rid of several mods of mine. Nowadays, he rides the Trance with a hardcore MTB club called 'Bicycle Stable'. He enjoys that very much, and he has become an experienced MTB rider. The club members appreciate how well Jacek blended in the "performance group" and do not mind an e-bike (the only comment they have is "that's an excellent ride for step climbs!")

So Jacek expertly removed the offensive screw, and I was good to go.

1710982834468.png

Now, having a proper 20 gear-inch MTB transmission, I could confidently practice gravel cycling. On my way, I met a very steep sandy hill I could climb in SL Turbo and the granny gear! (not pictured).

1710983468445.png

The off-road portion of my ride.

58 km for the day.

How I Could Have Demo Ridden An S-Works Epic 8 World Cup Series Bike :)
Saturday 23rd of March 2024

I've decided to split my coverage of last Saturday's rides into two reports. Here's the one from the testing of the Specialized Epic 8 Expert bike.

As I arrived to Specialized Soho before the noon on Saturday, a friendly salesman (who knows me as a good customer and the brand fan) innocently asked: 'Didn't you book the S-Works Epic 8 World Cup Series?' The man actually wanted me to try that US$12,000 model! For your better understanding: the whole demo bike fleet arrived from the Czech Republic the day before. I'm sure all these bikes were fully insured but I chickened out and asked for an Expert :) The man inflated the shocks for my heavy body and briefly instructed me about the features (like, I should adjust the saddle height with the dropper post). I asked the man whether I shouldn't sign the rental agreement -- 'Do you really need it? We know you!' I said 'So, we see each other in an hour then?' to which he replied 'Ride as much as you want only return the bike before we are closed!' Unbelievable, eh?

So I set off for the demo ride.

1711268296894.png

That €7,500 XC bike is a technology champion. All carbon (including the Roval wheels), it only weighs 11 kg, which is impressive as for a Full Suspension MTB.

1711268604593.png

Built into the handlebar grip, a TwistLoc control allows you adjusting the front & rear suspension stiffness as you ride (Lock, Pedal, Open). There also is the dropper seat-post lever there (top photo). There's an electronic derailleur on the bike, operated by SRAM AXS POD controller buttons (bottom photo).

1711269245840.png

The 750 mm long handlebars are almost totally flat (10 mm rise) and nearly straight. Combined with an extremely short 6 deg stem, these two items are all for maneuerability as you zoom at high speed between the trees! Specialized has used the latest SRAM RockShox SID suspension fork (120 mm travel) and the rear damper (190 mm travel). These shocks are extremely lightweight. See also the tyres, which are of a different model on each wheel (F: Fast Track R: Renegade, 700x2.35"). I'm sure these Roval wheels came in the tubeless setup, as I could feel a very low inflation pressure in the tyres!

1711269646956.png

The latest SRAM GX Eagle AXS transmission was provided, with a 34T chainring and a 10-52T cassette as well as an electronic derailleur. The shifting was immediate and totally silent! I was advised to shift under the load. Fancy that! Me pedalling hard, shifting and no single clunk or a different noise! Magic!

1711269992528.png

The only area around that had a little of off-road was the right Vistula bank. As I stopped at a bench to take some more photos, a merry voice greeted me. It was my mate Alfer again!!! Just fancy that: You are many kilometres away from home and ride by the Vistula. Now, a man from your neighbourhood meets you on the trail for the second time the same month! My theory is Alfer is stalking on me but how?! :D He says we must be living in the Matrix :D

1711270297920.png

Photos of me taken by Alfer on the encounter :)

My impressions
No doubt the Epic 8 is a technology wonder. Only I was the wrong person to ride that marvel! My medical condition prevented me from riding the bike fast (I averaged 14 km/h on a 7 km ride). I internally cried what a waste that bike was on me... When I was near to the end of the ride, a furry pet jumped right in the front of the bike! I pulled on the SRAM Level Bronze Stealth 180/160 mm brake levers -- and the suspension was Locked -- the Epic 8 just bit into the pavement and immediately stopped, saving the creature's life! Wow!

The truth is I cannot ride traditional bikes anymore. I'm an e-biker and it will remain so!

Last edited:
The Weather Window Had Opened Up...
Saturday, 23rd of March 2024

I set off for the Saturday ride on my Fearless just before ten in the morning. Was not in a big hurry (so spent a too long time on a breakfast at a BP service station) and later regretted the long stop but eventually reached Specialized Soho in Warsaw on time (see my other report of the Epic 8 demo ride above).

After having left the Specialized store, I explored the Warsaw Soho :) a little bit more.

1711273686220.png

The small gentrified enclave dubbed "Soho" is stylized after railroad climates. There is an expensive restaurant by the name of "Warszawa Wschodnia" (Warsaw-East Station) there. The neon sign is an original one taken from the nearby Warsaw-East Station in the past, an now rented from the Neon Museum to adore the restaurant front.

You know as good as me a posh restaurant is not a place where you can really eat :D I do not think I would be warmly welcomed there in my cycling clothes, either! So I just took a 1 km ride to have a lunch at my favourite Fregata. (Now I need to correct myself: Fregata was established not in 1960 but in 1962, so it is one year younger than I am!)

1711274228543.png

The meatball, boiled potato and warm red-beet tasted as if it was my Mum who made it for me!

1711274309513.png

I was really moved when I spotted Kompot available in the refrigerator! It is a drink made from boiled fruit and then cooled. In the far past, Kompot was a must to complete a lunch! When I was drinking it, I felt like back in 1960s again... ❤️

1711274536551.png

After the warm and sunny midday, the weather started worsening. I took the picture of the City of Warsaw from the hanging Holy Cross Bridge and pedalled again. Just waiting at an intersection past the bridge, I spotted a man on an e-bike so familiar to me... 'Hey, are you riding a Tero?' I asked the man. He looked at my e-bike and replied 'Yes, a Tero 3.0. What's your Specialized ride?' -- 'That's a Vado SL' -- 'It looks like a top-end model?' he inquired -- 'Actually, not but I upgraded it a lot!'. As we were riding together, he told me he used to ride a regular bike in Warsaw, bought the Tero for the mountain rides, and that it was the first time he decided to give the Tero a spin in this season. As we approached the Tamka climb (5.7 % grade), the man just disappeared at a distance while I was struggling in the SL Turbo mode and a low gear! :D

1711275306444.png

A violent downpour broke then. I took this picture only after it stopped raining (my bibs were completely soaked!) Notice the Knog tail-light at its low setting being actually brighter than the car's tail-lights! :)

1711276682185.png

Map with POI.

1711275888338.png

64.9 km for the day.

Last edited:
1711300237067.png

I have waited a while for decent Sunday weather and today it finally arrived, so I made the most of it as once again the weather is looking awful going into next week! I had a route planned out in my head involving a trip past Knockhill Racing Circuit but as I approached from Saline and Steelend I landed in the middle of a time trial and I couldn't believe it when they turned towards Knockhill... I then had a brainwave and came up with a brilliant alternative route!

I headed for Grangemouth first of all and stopped at the canal for a photo of the Kelpies and you can see how nice the weather was!

1711307704798.jpeg

I then used the footpath over the Clackmannanshire bridge with the stunning Ochil Hills directly ahead of me!

1711307798172.jpeg

1711307813309.jpeg

I continued on the main road for a few miles until Forestmill where I took the back road which leads to Saline, its a very quiet road and has some nice views of the hills also!

1711307940233.jpeg

1711307953178.jpeg

1711307968195.jpeg

As I approached Saline I saw a sign saying there was a cycle event taking place, I started up the big climb and could see some cyclists ahead and passed them easily until the top of the climb when they all shot past me on the flat part like I was standing still! 😂 I knew there was another big climb coming though and I passed them again, then I heard a noise from behind and it was a young guy who shot past me on the climb! 😯That doesn't happen very often, he was obviously super fit...;)

I was nearing the turn off for Knockhill and spotted the young guy that passed me taking the turn to Knockhill so I decided to continue past and came up with a different route! That was when I had a lightbulb moment and remembered a ride last year when I took this exact road in the opposite direction and thought it would be a great idea to do it this way! The road leads to Kelty and its a nice descent most of the way and with the wind right at my back, it was pushing me along nicely! At Kelty I truned south and soon had this big climb up to Hill of Beath!

This is near the top of the climb looking back down and there is a cyclist way in the distance tackling the climb! He actually passed me not long after this on the slight descent down into Crossgates, he must have shot up the climb so fast!

1711308751622.jpeg

I then had a lovely descent which was soon followed by another big climb, once again this is near the top looking back down!

1711308973031.jpeg

I had this lovely view to my left!

1711309686892.jpeg

1711309702400.jpeg

My kickstand has started dropping down recently so I had to use a bungee cord to stop it falling and it was a bit awkward with my panniers so I didn't use it today! I have a new one already but the bolts are siezed solid so will need some work to get them out...I continued up the remainder of the climb and I knew what was coming at the top! :D

1711309926381.jpeg

This was the main reason I chose this route as I knew how tough the climb was from the other direction, it plunges all the way down to Burntisland and it was absolutely amazing all the way down!😁 43.8mph was my top speed! Burntisland would be my turning point and it was instantly a big climb again, near the top of the climb I had a lovely view of the Forth with the bridges in the distance!

1711310261180.jpeg

I wasn't intending to cross the bridge today but with the excellent weather I decided to go for it and I was rewarded with this awesome sight, Aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth was docked at Rosyth for repairs!

1711310501677.jpeg
The downside was the amount of people it attracted to the bridge though...can't have it all! ;)

1711310728628.jpeg

1711310740478.jpeg

1711310755583.jpeg

I was glad to get over the bridge and was now heading west towards Newton, stopping for 1 more photo of the bridges! The clouds were starting to gather now and the wind was picking up and of course I was now tackling the headwind!

1711310884231.jpeg

I had changed my first battery at 51 miles and had 3 batteries so I knew I would have plenty juice available to tackle the headwind! I passed through Newton and the road was getting busy with people enjoying the nice weather so I turned off the main road and took the back road to Philipstoun where I passed over the canal!

1711311153965.jpeg

I tried to get the horses to turn but the grass was too delicious I think! 😂

1711311254140.jpeg

I had a nice view of the Ochill Hills from here also!

1711311296925.jpeg

There were many cars parked up at the canal, there is a Bistro here so I'm sure they were all tucking into some nice food!;)

1711311385596.jpeg

They have been dredging the canal and looking at the bridge, I think somebody had crashed into it! Its quite a drop but maybe they just dislodged the wall!

1711311425988.jpeg

From here I joined the road into Linlithgow with 70 miles now covered! It was very busy here also but I turned off the main road as soon as I could and took the road up to Torphicen which was much quieter! I had almost 14 miles of climbing to contend with from Linlithgow up to Longridge and my second battery had dropped to 26% with 86 miles covered so I switched to my final battery and with 30 miles to go I was able to up the assist level to help me into the headwind and up the remaining substantial climbs!

At Longridge I turned west passing through Fauldhouse and on to Shotts where I enjoyed some nice descents before the big climb up through Hartwood and up past the Shotts Prison, a really tough climb where I used assist level 3 before taking my favourite back road to Hareshaw where I got a nice surprise to discover they have fixed the rougher part of the road past a big farm where it floods a lot! It was so smooth and so much fun to ride, time will tell if it will still flood!

At Hareshaw I had covered 98 miles and I was still feeling strong, so I took the main road to Newhouse and continued west to Holytown where I turned north for Calderbank and was soon back home with 105.5 miles in the bag! What a brilliant day of cycling and not a single drop of rain for the first time in a long while, when I arrived home the wind had totally dropped and it was so warm! When I left at just after 7am it was frosty and it was a bit chilly for most of the ride but it didn't bother me in the slightest as I had an absolute blast! 😁

Attachments

• elevation_profile242.jpg
    elevation_profile242.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 31
  • trip-157771185-map-full242.png
    trip-157771185-map-full242.png
    419.4 KB · Views: 36
Back