2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

1711899507719.png

Yesterday my bike was 6 years old, 31146 miles later its still going strong and thankfully so am I... 😂 Another really nice Sunday and once again next week is looking dismal so I had to make the most of today, it was a frosty start at 7am but such a beautiful day! With an easterly wind blowing it was the ideal day to head down to Ayrshire, I made my way out to Strathaven and across to East Kilbride where I headed for Eaglesham to tackle the big climb up over the moors!

The start of the climb!

1711912881296.jpeg

Well the climbing actually started 15 miles earlier at Hamilton but at least I had the wind pushing me on! This is part way up the climb looking back down, its such a great road for cycling and there were many cyclists enjoying it today!

1711913106593.jpeg

The Picketlaw Reservoir which is used as a fishery!

1711913223066.jpeg

A little further up the climb, looking back down once again!

1711913317436.jpeg

Then I was back into the seemingly never ending climb!

1711913354039.jpeg

Eventually I reached the summit and had this awesome descent to enjoy!

1711913404146.jpeg

At the end of the road it joins the main A77 which is very quiet now thanks to the M77 motorway that runs alongside it! After just a couple of miles I turned south for Galston, this is one of my favourite roads to ride and the main reason I chose this route!

1711913627027.jpeg

1711913641243.jpeg

Its a proper rollercoaster, rising and falling for miles and very twisty, the final descent down into Galston is just sublime! From Galston I took the road to Sorn, which is climb after climb and I was now heading into a strengthening headwind! I stopped near the top of this climb, to have a snack and a break!

1711913891924.jpeg

1711913910553.jpeg

Just as I was about to set off up the remainder of the climb 2 roadies appeared from the side road and they were very interested in my bike! They told me they had actually passed me earlier when they were in their car and noticed I was really flying up one of the climbs!😂 I told them I was only using level 2 assist and had 5 levels to choose from, I have a feeling they might be in the market for e bikes soon! ;) We all set off up the climb at the same time and I shot past them immediately, I said see you on the flat soon and I was right as they then shot past me! This continued for miles until I reached Sorn and stopped in the village, I thought they had passed me while I was taking this photo on the bridge!

1711914363321.jpeg

There's a monster climb coming out of Sorn and I was watching for them as I was flying up the climb but I didn't see them at all and wondered if they had gone in another direction! A few miles on I stopped for this photo and they appeared again, they had actually stopped for a break themselves!

1711914561277.jpeg

At the end of the road I turned left and they turned right, I was still fighting the headwind and they were now enjoying the tailwind! I was nearing Muirkirk now which I visited on March 11th, my plan was to get out of that wind which would mean a lot of climbing but it was way better than that 25mph chilly headwind! Eventually I got to enjoy a descent again, this is looking back up the road I came down and it was so much fun!

1711914906795.jpeg

The clouds were starting to build a bit but the sun was still winning!

1711914972077.jpeg

Time for another climb, most of the road is in really good condition having been resurfaced last year!

1711915066680.jpeg

1711915095879.jpeg

Glengavel Reservoir soon came into view, more photo opportunities!

1711915151941.jpeg

1711915178931.jpeg

1711915192019.jpeg

I was now heading for Strathaven which I passed through at the start of the day but my plan was to head for the Clyde Valley now and although I was battling the headwind again it was mostly downhill, the downside was the traffic was getting heavier though but you can't have it all...I reached the Clyde Valley and the garden centres were crazy busy! I was glad to stop for photos along the way to avoid the traffic for a bit!

1711915509538.jpeg

1711915524267.jpeg

1711915537265.jpeg

I arrived in Crossford and it was time to turn north on to a much quieter road, I decided to pick the easier climb out of the valley today as I was beginning to tire form all the climbing and the headwinds! I got to the top of the climb and enjoyed some flat roads for a few miles and it helped me regain some strength before the big climb up to Carluke! From there I took the back roads to Morningside and then on to Allanton where I was feeling strong enough to take on the big climb up to Kirk of Shotts despite having 97 miles in my legs at this point! I started up the climb and thought it would be a good idea to have a snack before the steep parts, so I stopped at Hartwood and noticed I hadn't zipped my rack bag up properly! Imagine my shock when I found my phone wasn't in my bag and to make matters worse my bank card was in the phone case also! :eek:

My heart sank and I thought I would be heading home to try to cancel my bank card before somebody managed to gain access to it and to arrange a replacement phone! Then I remembered hitting a hole in the road passing through Allanton and decided to head back down in the hope I was right! To my utter amazement I approached the roundabout in Allanton and saw my phone lying on the road and by pure luck it had landed on the chevrons where cars aren't allowed to drive! Then I thought it would have been damaged from the fall but there wasn't a mark on it, the case had done its job! What a piece of luck that was, I'm so glad I stopped before the climb for a snack or I wouldn't have noticed it! I better go buy a lottery ticket tomorrow now...🤣

After that I decided not to go back up the climb and headed for Bonkle instead where I would have another climb but a much easier one, then up through Hareshaw and down to Newhouse and a straight road home from there! What a day that was, amazing roads and sunshine!😁What a bike, 6 years of pure brilliance!👍I have it booked in at my LBS on Friday to get them to fix the kickstand, I will let the experts tackle it as I don't want to end up damaging the frame trying to remove the siezed screws!

Attachments

• elevation_profile243.jpg
    elevation_profile243.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 39
  • trip-159617251-map-full243.png
    trip-159617251-map-full243.png
    432.2 KB · Views: 39
View attachment 173332

Yesterday my bike was 6 years old, 31146 miles later its still going strong and thankfully so am I... 😂 Another really nice Sunday and once again next week is looking dismal so I had to make the most of today, it was a frosty start at 7am but such a beautiful day! With an easterly wind blowing it was the ideal day to head down to Ayrshire, I made my way out to Strathaven and across to East Kilbride where I headed for Eaglesham to tackle the big climb up over the moors!

The start of the climb!

View attachment 173339
Well the climbing actually started 15 miles earlier at Hamilton but at least I had the wind pushing me on! This is part way up the climb looking back down, its such a great road for cycling and there were many cyclists enjoying it today!

View attachment 173340
The Picketlaw Reservoir which is used as a fishery!

View attachment 173341
A little further up the climb, looking back down once again!

View attachment 173342
Then I was back into the seemingly never ending climb!

View attachment 173343
Eventually I reached the summit and had this awesome descent to enjoy!

View attachment 173344
At the end of the road it joins the main A77 which is very quiet now thanks to the M77 motorway that runs alongside it! After just a couple of miles I turned south for Galston, this is one of my favourite roads to ride and the main reason I chose this route!

View attachment 173345
View attachment 173346
Its a proper rollercoaster, rising and falling for miles and very twisty, the final descent down into Galston is just sublime! From Galston I took the road to Sorn, which is climb after climb and I was now heading into a strengthening headwind! I stopped near the top of this climb, to have a snack and a break!

View attachment 173351
View attachment 173352
Just as I was about to set off up the remainder of the climb 2 roadies appeared from the side road and they were very interested in my bike! They told me they had actually passed me earlier when they were in their car and noticed I was really flying up one of the climbs!😂 I told them I was only using level 2 assist and had 5 levels to choose from, I have a feeling they might be in the market for e bikes soon! ;) We all set off up the climb at the same time and I shot past them immediately, I said see you on the flat soon and I was right as they then shot past me! This continued for miles until I reached Sorn and stopped in the village, I thought they had passed me while I was taking this photo on the bridge!

View attachment 173357
There's a monster climb coming out of Sorn and I was watching for them as I was flying up the climb but I didn't see them at all and wondered if they had gone in another direction! A few miles on I stopped for this photo and they appeared again, they had actually stopped for a break themselves!

View attachment 173360
At the end of the road I turned left and they turned right, I was still fighting the headwind and they were now enjoying the tailwind! I was nearing Muirkirk now which I visited on March 11th, my plan was to get out of that wind which would mean a lot of climbing but it was way better than that 25mph chilly headwind! Eventually I got to enjoy a descent again, this is looking back up the road I came down and it was so much fun!

View attachment 173361
The clouds were starting to build a bit but the sun was still winning!

View attachment 173362
Time for another climb, most of the road is in really good condition having been resurfaced last year!

View attachment 173363
View attachment 173364
Glengavel Reservoir soon came into view, more photo opportunities!

View attachment 173365
View attachment 173366
View attachment 173367
I was now heading for Strathaven which I passed through at the start of the day but my plan was to head for the Clyde Valley now and although I was battling the headwind again it was mostly downhill, the downside was the traffic was getting heavier though but you can't have it all...I reached the Clyde Valley and the garden centres were crazy busy! I was glad to stop for photos along the way to avoid the traffic for a bit!

View attachment 173368
View attachment 173369
View attachment 173370
I arrived in Crossford and it was time to turn north on to a much quieter road, I decided to pick the easier climb out of the valley today as I was beginning to tire form all the climbing and the headwinds! I got to the top of the climb and enjoyed some flat roads for a few miles and it helped me regain some strength before the big climb up to Carluke! From there I took the back roads to Morningside and then on to Allanton where I was feeling strong enough to take on the big climb up to Kirk of Shotts despite having 97 miles in my legs at this point! I started up the climb and thought it would be a good idea to have a snack before the steep parts, so I stopped at Hartwood and noticed I hadn't zipped my rack bag up properly! Imagine my shock when I found my phone wasn't in my bag and to make matters worse my bank card was in the phone case also! :eek:

My heart sank and I thought I would be heading home to try to cancel my bank card before somebody managed to gain access to it and to arrange a replacement phone! Then I remembered hitting a hole in the road passing through Allanton and decided to head back down in the hope I was right! To my utter amazement I approached the roundabout in Allanton and saw my phone lying on the road and by pure luck it had landed on the chevrons where cars aren't allowed to drive! Then I thought it would have been damaged from the fall but there wasn't a mark on it, the case had done its job! What a piece of luck that was, I'm so glad I stopped before the climb for a snack or I wouldn't have noticed it! I better go buy a lottery ticket tomorrow now...🤣

After that I decided not to go back up the climb and headed for Bonkle instead where I would have another climb but a much easier one, then up through Hareshaw and down to Newhouse and a straight road home from there! What a day that was, amazing roads and sunshine!😁What a bike, 6 years of pure brilliance!👍I have it booked in at my LBS on Friday to get them to fix the kickstand, I will let the experts tackle it as I don't want to end up damaging the frame trying to remove the siezed screws!
Another superb ride and the roads looked like they were in great shape. :cool: BTW, I know that sinking feeling well having lost and recovered my wallet on a couple of occasions albeit not while biking. On that note, I guess a big 👍pretty well sums up how your day went.

You were so lucky!

Quick-Link (Spinka), or Trzaskowski Bridge, a new Vistula crossing in Warsaw (Ride & Walk)

On 28th of March 2024, Mr. Rafał Trzaskowski the President of Warsaw opened the new (and the only) foot-bridge in Warsaw. Given a very warm weather (up to 26 C/79 F), I could not miss the opportunity to see the new bridge on Easter! On the noon, I started pedalling my Vado SL towards Warsaw.

1711925477629.png

Riding through the City. The red brick structure is the Museum of Warsaw Uprising 1944.

1711925571838.png

One of many Warsaw Mermaids, that one on the Markiewicz Viaduct (which is spiral). (There is also a historical sculpture depicting Mr Vistula but I had no time to stop there).

1711925717494.png

1994, a driving lesson:
Instructor: 'Mr Driver, what is the sign for?'
Me: 'It's two turns, the first one possibly to the right...'
Instructor: 'POSSIBLY?!'
Me: Just a right turn.

1711925845556.png

The instructor braking the car violently.
I hadn't noticed the right turn and tried to overshoot it! 🤣
It was 30 years ago and I can still remember that!

1711926010855.png

So you're riding down Karowa St. and then see THIS :D

1711926109326.png

And then THIS. I really did not expect such a big crowd there!

Some facts:
Warsaw has her President, who is above Mayors of our 18 quarters (equivalent to Boroughs). Mr Trzaskowski has wanted to build a cycling and pedestrian bridge at a historical place of the first permanent bridge of King Sisigmund August that stood there in years 1573 to 1603. The foot-bridge would connect Warsaw's Old Town with the right-bank Old Praga to enliven the latter. The President was criticized for the "unnecessary construction to boost his own ego", the high construction cost, or "serving the interests of the investors in Praga". The big crowds present on the new bridge only prove Mr Trzaskowski like nobody else could understand the spirit of Warsaw, and what the Warsawers think. It looks to be a great tourist attraction for the future!

1711926914435.png

The new bridge is long, measuring 452 metres (1482 feet), and it is longer than the Millenium Bridge of London (325 m).

1711927109006.png

There are long boulevards in Warsaw attracting crowds for leisure on warm days. This one is the George S. Patton Boulevard (for the U.S. Army General of WW2).

1711927372799.png

The bridge bends in the middle. Necessary to mention the bridge has no name yet. People voted for "Spinka" (like a bicycle chain Quick Link) but the actual name has to be decided yet.

The little blunder is the new bridge was expected to accomodate cycling but that has not happened yet. The City Hall is not sure how to solve the issue. It is probable that when the novelty wears off, bike lanes would be simply painted on the bridge. Let's wait and see! As it is now, the crowds simply prevent any cycling there!

1711927477844.png

The bridge leads to Okrzeja St. in Praga. That lovely quarter survived undamaged during WW2, and it decidedly deserves more visitors!

1711927621191.png

Warsaw Waterway Chamber, an ancient water transport authority building. (It's a wedding office nowadays).

Later, I rode through the lovely Saska Kępa, took the Łazienkowski Bridge, climbed a 4.6% grade hill to find myself in the City South.

1711928222591.png

Sejm and Senate of the Republic of Poland, or our Parliament (1921). Rather well hidden in the greenery! The Canadian and American embassies are both around, same as the Swiss embassy and several more.

1711928320180.png

President Reagan looks at the Embassy of the United States of America on the opposite side. (Mark Brzezinski -- the son of Zbigniew Brzezinski -- is the current U.S. Ambassador to Poland). I did not take photographs of any Embassy as it could be wrong for the security reasons.

1711928819364.png

The Faculty of Architecture, Warsaw Technical University, facing the Norway House, a beautiful modern building (where I had coffee).

1711928910163.png

Heavily gentrified Koszyki Market Hall (our equivalent of London's Borough Market).

1711929115125.png

My bridge walk.

1711929414207.png

My ride towards the new Bridge.

1711929904249.png

Part of my return ride. 57 km for the day,

Interestingly, I could meet (and speak with them!) two different men, both riding Urban Arrow (Dutch) cargo e-bikes. It looks like we have a new trend here. Also, I could see many e-bikes on Sunday!

Last edited:
"Pouring Monday" in Poland
The Easter Monday in Poland is the day people spray water on each other... This year, it was the April Fools', too :)

1712042677742.png

A fire truck was driving with its siren on. I thought there was a fire somewhere. Then I could understand what was going on! :)
The firemen acted on the "treat or trick" principle, only the residents were getting the trick each time :D That is, the fireman was spraying water onto each house and then expected to get a kind of a reward, haha :) (Actually, two firewomen were sent to get the treat!)

A Polish folklore indeed! (And you would think young men chasing girls with buckets of water was gross!)

As for me, I was on a visit to Magda. When I was almost back at home, someone (I think it was a kid) sprayed some badly perfumed water onto me through an open car window! I was not happy as the perfume stank! :D

Last edited:
We finally hit the road after what seemed like a long and often tumultuous winter season. There’s still a good chance that cooler temperatures and snow flurries will return later in the week but likely not the winter blast that we’ve usually come to expect. It was a brisk 40 km ride for our first outing together. Not much to look at I’m afraid that as things are just not greening up compared to what others are experiencing. :(

GH013176 - frame at 0m50s.jpg

PXL_20240402_233857562.jpg

Poor man’s fertilizer. It’s always good to see the snow melt replenishing moisture into the soil all the while releasing valuable nutrients. Due to the warmer spring temps, we were able to start riding a week earlier. Good for us but perhaps not so good the local farming community as more snow accumulation is akin to a giant water holding tank.

PXL_20240402_232611960.jpg

Keep on truckin’.

GH013180 - frame at 0m15s.jpg

Hydrology at work as this fast-flowing stream in a ditch makes its way onto what will soon be cultivated land.

PXL_20240402_235608371.jpg

We managed to fit in a 30km ride today in blustery and cool conditions. It hit a high of 7C with 35 kph wind gusts but at least the sun was beaming favorably down on us. We face a return to wintry weather by the weekend but thankfully it will be nothing more than a minor inconvenience. Hope that everyone is enjoying the spring weather wherever you are.

VID_20240403_155639_00_043 - frame at 0m15s.jpg

VID_20240403_155639_00_043 - frame at 1m3s.jpg

No rides for a week as we now are living together with @Brix as centrally in the City of Warsaw as only possible.

1712219428099.png

A view from our balcony on the fourth (U.S - fifth) floor of an apartment building facing the Palace of Culture and Science, 32, Świętokrzyska (Holy Cross St.)

All finished, it still looks tatty, but it was rusted beyong comprehension.
I had to hacksaw the chain off, the tyres had become part of the rims and all the cables were solid, every bearing was rusted seized and all the bearing cups were rusted in place.
It would have been easier to look for an identical bike😂

IMG_20240404_101433181.jpg

1712250553368.png

I got a bonus ride today, the weather was supposed to be awful but they got it totally wrong and I sure wasn't complaining! ;) The easterly winds are still with us so I decided to head into the wind at the start to have the tailwind heading home, it was so cold riding into that easterly wind! So I headed east to Armadale and turned south to join the cycle paths that run all the way to Dechmont, there I turned north on to the excellent Burnhouse road! I just love this road with all its ups and downs and very little traffic, at the end of the road I turned west to take on the big climb up past Beecraigs Country Park! The difference in temperature with the wind now at my back was remarkable, it actually felt like Spring! I decided not take any photos today, I just wanted to enjoy riding the bike with no distractions!

Yet more climbing ensued after a short descent at the park before I took the big descent down to Torphicen, this road was closed for 12 weeks and I was expecting nice new tarmac! Sadly they were just digging drainage ditches and hadn't touched the road at all, its not too bad for the most part though! At Torphicen I took the back road to Westfield which is another awesome descent, just over 39mph going down this one! At Westfield I headed down another big descent which leads to the village of Bridgehouse, this is where the climbing started again! At the top of the climb I decided to take the road back to Armadale instead of taking the road up over Heights which I'm sure would have been flooded in parts after all the rain!

The descent down into Armadale is another cracker anyway so it was a no brainer to go for it, what a blast it was! :D When I arrived in Armadale I turned west towards Blackridge, there I turned south towards Harthill but took the back road that bypasses the village! Its a very narrow road but I didn't meet a single car at all and really enjoyed the hilly and twisty road, it finishes with a lovely descent down to the main road which runs from Harthill to Salsburgh! It was time for another big climb but with the 20mph wind at my back I flew up the climb and then enjoyed the wind assisted descent down into Salsburgh!

At Salsburgh I took the quiet back roads to home, it was the perfect recovery ride after Sundays epic! It was good to get April underway, now we have another storm coming with 50 mph winds over the weekend! I was supposed to be taking my bike to the shop tomorrow to have the old kickstand removed but they called today to say they wouldn't have any mechanics available now, but I can drop the bike off and they should be able to fix it on Saturday or Sunday! Monday is looking promising for a ride so hopefully I will get it back before then with a new kickstand fitted...

Attachments

• elevation_profile244.jpg
    elevation_profile244.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 25
  • trip-160702800-map-full244.png
    trip-160702800-map-full244.png
    432.4 KB · Views: 30
Sounds expensive, you living the highlife there?
Nay, the rate for the apartament is quite reasonable. Talking about highlife, we visited a cafe in the most expensive hotel of Warsaw, Bristol, which is located next to the Presidential Palace. The famous pianist Ignacy Paderewski was its first owner. In 1918, Mr Paderewski used his personal charm on the U.S. President Woodrow Wilson, so the latter managed to convince the Allies to return the indepence to Poland.

In early 1919, he arrived in Warsaw to assume the post of the first prime minister of the independent Poland. He had a unique chance to speak to Warsawers from the balcony of the hotel he owned!

20240404_151306.jpg

The Wall of Fame in Bristol Hotel.

20240404_151353.jpg

The most respected guests to Warsaw are accommodated in the Bristol. Like Queen Elizabeth II with her son Charles...

20240404_151321.jpg

Lech Wałęsa, Bill Clinton, Emperor or PM of Japan, famous artists etc.

20240404_145422.jpg

We had coffee at Bristol Hotel and trust me, that was really expensive coffee 😃

20240404_175809.jpg

11 thousand of steps for the day....

20240404_191039.jpg

And we even were at a blues gig where a friend (a professional musician) played the green bass guitar, which formerly belonged to me! 😊

Last edited:
Our Warsaw Adventures, Day 2 :)

1712360688069.png

Day 1, a walk through the Quick-Link Vistula Bridge. As Poland is now in a hot political fight, many media outlets do everything to criticize the President of Warsaw for the Bridge he has created. One of the lines goes 'Mr Trzaskowski cheated the public by saying the new bridge would be a MUP while it is just an expensive foot-bridge'. Oh, come on...

1712361011860.png

Nobody stops cyclists from riding there, they only need to ride slowly and respect the pedestrians!

We started the Day 2 from having a lunch in "Fregata" you already know from my earlier posts. Then we started a walk from the former House of The (Central Committe of the Communist) Party, which is the Warsaw Stock Exchange now. (That's the building with the de Gaulle statue in the front).

1712361608789.png

Needless to say we visited a very nice craft beer pub by the name of CUDA ('Wonders') there :)

1712361735471.png

One of the places we stopped by was 'A. Blikle', the most famous Warsaw's cafe, established at Nowy Świat (New World St.) in 1869.

1712361999365.png

Just a quick glimpse at Nowy Świat... (Kufle i Kapsle)

1712362607519.png

As we turned into Chmielna (Hops St.), which is an elegant promenade of Warsaw, we explored one of the hidden courtyards to find the PINTA craft beer pub. That nice building was created by Mikkeller* (a Danish contractual brewer) but the establishment went belly-up soon because of crazily high prices. The pub was overtaken by PINTA (the biggest Polish craft beer contractual brewer) at the end of the pandemics.

1712362938775.png

A nice place called Plac Pięciu Rogów (Five Dials) created by Mr Trzaskowski the President of Warsaw. Once a busy crossing, now it is a pedestrian zone. I'm deeply convinced Warsaw under the lead of Mr Trzaskowski tries to copy the best things of London! (Millenium Bridge, Seven Dials, The Shard, Tate Modern...)

1712363360670.png

Taking a rest at Hoppiness :) Here, Lindemann's Kriek, low alcohol Belgian fruit sour Ale. The place offers the best Belgian Fries in Warsaw!

1712363489774.png

To overdo it ;) we also had some Ale at Hopito Chmielna. There, we could see an exciting Drag Queen! (No photos taken though!)

1712364547576.png

Warsaw Midtown 101:
A: "Cuda" (craft beer pub), The House of The Party/Warsaw Stock Exchange
1: "A. Blikle 1869" (a cafe), Nowy Świat 35
2: "Kufle i Kapsle Nowy Świat ("Mugs & Bottlecaps", craft beer pub), Nowy Świat 25
3: Chmielna (Hops St.)
4: PINTA Warszawa (craft beer pub), a courtyard outside Chmielna
5: Plac Pięciu Rogów (Five Dials, a landmark)
6: Hoppiness Beer & Food (craft beer pub & Belgian Fries), Chmielna 27
B: Hopito Chmielna (craft beer pub & hamburgers), Chmielna 22.

The total walk length 1200 m (1312 yds) :D_
----------------------
*) The man who is behind Mikkeller has a twin brother. That brother went in the United States to create a contractual brewery by the name of Evil Twin. The ET is one of the best U.S. craft breweries now. If you haven't tried the Evil Twin "Even More Jesus" Imperial Stout (or anything from Evil Twin) then you should certainly correct your mistake! :)

Last edited:
@Chargeride: two fun-facts just for you! :)
  • Vauxhall Gardens were (I think) the first public park in London. The Poles got so excited with the idea they actually created a small public park in Warsaw's Midtown (I use the name to differentiate the Midtown from The City). The street leading to that park became Foksal, which is literally how we pronounce Vauxhall :) That street exists by this day!
  • The Russian of the 19 c. were so impressed by the London's Vauxhall Station that they created own Russian word "vakzal", which is a generic name for any railway station!

And the British papers are moaning about the railways again, the prices are ludicrous, from being the centre of creating and spreading them, to universally despising their existence 😂.
They are now only 2% of journeys in the UK.

And the British papers are moaning about the railways again, the prices are ludicrous, from being the centre of creating and spreading them, to universally despising their existence 😂.

Back