2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Most recently I’ve had to pick and choose the days that I ride now that conditions are beginning to heat up. With day time temps hovering well above freezing, riding later in the day would result in the tires becoming bogged in slush and mud. Much of the snow that had fallen a week ago has now disappeared and periods of freezes and thaws have taken their toll on the trails. Yesterday was no exception but for the most part any misery that I would have felt was spared at the bike park.

A few icy patches were of no concern for the studded tires but a measurable amount of care still had to be doled out on some of the descents. Dialing in the pressure is key and I’ve found that 5-7 psi is adequate to get me through most of my winter rides.

GH013155 - frame at 0m56s.jpg

GH013155 - frame at 2m2s.jpg

GH013160 - frame at 1m18s.jpg

Much of the singletrack was in decent shape and a few sections of really smooth dense hardpack hastened the pace and made the outing more entertaining. Despite the conditions, I couldn’t have expected a much better outcome.

GH013160 - frame at 1m41s.jpg

VID_20240314_100656_00_039 - frame at 1m0s.jpg

There was no doubt that I definitely would have packed it in on the climbs if the snow was any softer.

GH013161 - frame at 1m4s.jpg

Another bright sunny morning and I’m liking the odds of getting the road bike out on the tarmac sooner than later.

PXL_20240314_164902598.jpg

IMG_20240314_101327_00_041_2024-03-14_13-00-00_screenshot.jpg

Closer to home and more hellish ice to contend with approaching the bottom of this hill.

PXL_20240314_174207724.jpg

Back at home, the bike appeared to have fared rather well through the patches of muck which I tried my best to avoid though I couldn’t say the same for my jacket and trousers. I may lay low over the next several days or until the mercury is expected to fall below freezing next week.

PXL_20240314_180432400.jpg

That really is s lovely bike, tread on the tyres and everything.
Norco does have a dealer network in the UK but I doubt if their e-fleet of imports includes the VLT. I suspect that most riders are heavily into the FS mtb scene judging by all of the gnarly terrain over there. That being said, the blokes in the video seem to thoroughly enjoy time spent on their fatties. I think that most underestimate the versatility of these bikes. For all I know, this footage could have been shot around your neck of the woods. The beach, dunes and trails look eerily similar to the ones that you ride. :cool:

Last edited:
The Ice-Cream Courier

My daughter Magda always makes her Wish List before we meet at her Social Care Home. This time, she asked for (among others) a box of ice-cream and a cake with nuts. 'How do I organize the trip so the ice-cream would not melt en route?' was my worry. I made an arrangement with Klimatyczna Cafe re the cake, packed the box of ice-cream into a thermoinsulating bag and then into a pannier, and was about to start the ride when... I discovered Jacek raised the seat on my Vado SL when he was diagnosing it :D I literally had to run back to my flat for a 4 mm wrench and a tape measure, wasting precious minutes!

For anyone interested, my Fearless is in a perfect shape now, following the crankarm replacement.

I was riding towards the Cafe propelled by a massive tailwind. No soft game: the assistance set for 80% and the e-bike derestricted so I arrived in Klimatyczna in a record short time. As I was quickly replacing a Range Extender with a fresh battery, I heard a merry 'Look at you! It seems I finally could catch up with you!' from behind.

View attachment 172365
My cycling friend Alfer was just riding through the Kampinos National Park and decided to rest at Klimatyczna exactly when I got there. A coincidence? He said: 'We are both single men of a similar professional status and habits. Such an encounter was inevitable!'

I felt I was losing time. Bought the cake, set the SL Turbo mode and sped to Bramki, fighting with cross-wind. I was almost on time, and the ice-cream was still frozen! :) (30 km in 1 h 4 min).

View attachment 172366
Magda happy with her new toy <3

My return was hard as the headwind was very strong. Despite riding in SL Turbo, it took me an hour to cover just 20 km! What I could notice was I was so obsessed with my future participation in gravel races that my pedalling style has greatly changed. It is long ride segments without any stopping, and very hard pedalling. Whenever I return home from my rides, my legs do hurt as expected! :)

View attachment 172367
Blue: 30.3 km in 1 h 4 min
Red: 20.5 km in 1 h.
So the tailwind made up for the wrench delay. All good, it seems.

Mazovian Gravel: Through Mińsk Mazowiecki To Czersk Castle, A Group Gravel Ride
Those madmen, "ultras" (as we use to call them) started their gravel group ride before 8 am from Wilanów Beach towards Mińsk Mazowiecki (it is not Minsk, the capital city of Belarus, haha!) Meanwhile, five lazy people (including me) took trains to the Mazovian city to be on schedule there. The pit-stop was organized in the local City Centre for Sports & Recreation (MOSiR), and we were warmly welcomed by the president of the organization, who is a road cyclist and an organizer of endurance races himself!

1710694401903.png

He organized five big boxes of delicious cake, coffee and tea for the riders, and he made the sports club facilities available to us, too.

1710694659874.png

First riders arrived at around 9:40 am. Those who had no solid rainproof gear on them came totally soaked, as they were riding in heavy rain.

1710694864584.png

Group 3 (I think) was led by my brother Jacek (front). It was a New Bike Day for him, as he announced his Marin DSX 3 bike on the day!

1710695102645.png

Riders gathering for hot drinks.

1710695160562.png

Mazovian Gravel co-organizer Bartek with the club president Tomek.

1710695233748.png

It stopped raining (10:16). Time for the ride! (Not sure if you can see a "skunk" on the back of the rider in the centre; it turned out to be a muddy ride...)

1710695358761.png

Past the most difficult technical obstacle on the ride. The trail had been cut by rainwater the way you could not ride around it. You only could (a) ride through the water with your shoes guaranteed to be full of rainwater, or (b) climb an extremely steep railway embankment and then ride on the rail sleepers... No option looked feasible to me. A young rider offered his help. Even he had trouble to walk or carry my Vado SL up the incline; I explained the Walk Assist button to him :) and crawled onto the top myself with a great difficulty. Then I had to ride on the railroad crossties, praying there was no train on the track soon... SCARY!

1710695733041.png

25 km into the ride, I decided I had enough! "What a wonderful wyryp!" - exclaimed a rider who was passing me by. (Wyryp is an invented word for 'a place where you are obliged to crash' :D) I even considered riding to the nearest train station and giving the ride up!

1710696006001.png

More and more people turning into the wyryp. I checked the map and decided to take a short detour. (I would not do it on a race, as the each and every rider position is tracked by a GPS tracker).

1710696269035.png

The sun started shining, and it became warmer. Now, I had to get my fully loaded Vado SL up a tall and steep stairway! Take this lesson now: The Walk Assist mode is your friend :) Only when I was on the Mount Calvary Vistula Bridge, I realized my back and the e-bike were stained with mud!

1710696476133.png

50.0 km into the ride. It is off-season now, and the "inn" at the Czersk Castle was closed. However, the local community was well prepared to meet Mazowiecki Gravel! There was an abundance of sausage, bread, and fermented cucumber! The bonfire helped us get dry and warm, and the sun was shining! A great party that was!

We even had English native speakers on the ride. I asked a man next to me to hold the spit-stick for me, and he asked me what I wanted from him in English. 'Could you just hold it for a while please? I need to take some pictures!' went from my mouth automatically :) It is usually hard for me to start a casual English talk but here I felt so natural with the language! (Thank you EBR!) :)

1710696659080.png

Not for v-people :) but that is what you get at a Polish picnic: Kielbasa, bread, cucumber, ketchup and mustard. Self-roasted tastes the best!

1710696999009.png

Can anyone tell me why I do keep the rear fender on my Vado SL please? :) To increase the e-bike weight perhaps? :D

1710697112111.png

After just 50 km of ride in the rough terrain, my legs terribly hurt. I was longing for good coffee. I stopped 4 km away from the Castle at Góra Kawiarnia in Góra Kalwaria (Mt Calvary, or the steepest hill in Central Mazovia). Here, Mazurek, which is a Mazovian cake made for Easter. (The name mazurek is the same as mazurka, a kind of dance present in Frederic Chopin music: "of Mazovia").

1710697574038.png

On the return ride towards Warsaw, a violent thunderstorm with cloudburst erupted. I stopped under a bus shelter and continued my ride when the raining stopped. On another stop (pictured) it became sunny and warm. At that moment I discovered my front tyre caught a flat... Had to do a field repair.

1710697839437.png

I wanted to return home by train. Yet, finding myself (quite unexpectedly) in the Wilanów Beach, I decided 'Man, it is only 26 km if you ride with traffic...' :D The 51.2 km/h was the speed I achieved on the descent from Mt. Calvary. It would be nothing for @RabH but there is a deep bend on the decline requiring braking. I was so fast I switched SL Turbo on, and helped by a light tailwind I overtook a small group of riders that included both organizers from Mazovian Gravel! 'Anyone want a race?!' I teased the group, and there was a big laughter about that! :D

1710699355065-png.172708

109 km total for the day.

Attachments

• 1710699355065.png
    1710699355065.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Last day at my dad's, I fitted a new front room carpet for him and felt my age, moving all the furniture and heaving the old one out, new one in.
That's proper exercise, never start a fight with a carpet fitter 😂

Rode down to the beach, windy but warm, bacon buttie, watch the waves crashing into the rocks, I wouldn't swap this for the Ritz.
Screenshot_20240318-062146.png

Got my knees all cortisone-shotted up this morning - hope to be able to take "Alan" out for a spin in another couple of days! Spring breaking (with elementary school kiddos) in Mexico next week, then should be able to get serious about riding again - looking at YOU, Virginia Creeper Trail 😁😁😁!

1710784018220.png

After a whole week off the bike I was determined to get out today, the weather locally wasn't very nice so I looked further afield and noticed it was looking more promising down Peebles and Moffat way! So I put the bike in the car and headed towards Peebles to ride from there to Moffat and back in a big loop which is usually around 70 miles! The wind was from the SW and was due to strengthen throughout the day so I went for the anticlockwise route which would mean the first 25 miles would be right into the wind and uphill all the way, starting at around 600ft and peaking at just under 1400ft!

I usually go all the way into Peebles and use the car park just as you enter the town but as I was driving along the road towards the town I decided to stop about 5 miles short and park in a quiet layby which would give me a flattish start to warm myself up for the 25 mile climb ahead! The first 2 miles were on the main A72 and then I turned south on to the quiet back roads towards Stobo where I stopped for a couple of photos!

The daffodils have really sprung up now despite recent frosty weather, it has been fluctuating from -3C to +10C though!

1710791551846.jpeg

The road runs alongside the River Tweed for quite a few miles!

1710791630261.jpeg

It started to rain a little here but thankfully it never got heavy, the forecast did say there might be light rain at times but clearing up as the day progressed and amazingly they were pretty accurate for once! I passed through Stobo which is a tiny village and then crossed over the River Tweed and was heading for another village called Drumelzier!

The river was flowing very quickly!

1710791996933.jpeg

After Drumelzier there is a nice descent down to the main A701, it was time to use the main road which wasn't too busy thankfully except for the odd logging truck! Those guys don't hang about but they gave me lots of room, the views were lovely along the main road despite the lack of sun at this point!

1710792425669.jpeg

1710792445618.jpeg

1710792477671.jpeg

I continued up the climb fighting the headwind all the way up, eventually arriving at the summit at just under 1400ft and the sun eventually made an appearance!

1710792589802.jpeg

It was now time to descend down the awesome Devils Beeftub down into Moffat, although I was still battling the headwind but it was so much easier than that 25 mile climb...

All the way down the descent I had to stop for photos, it was just stunning with the clouds shrouding the hills!

1710792819402.jpeg

1710792835278.jpeg

My bike had to get in on the act! ;)

1710792948417.jpeg

I really love the next 2!

1710792974651.jpeg

1710793010136.jpeg

I arrived in Moffat and for the first time I had the wind at my back and it was just as well because it was straight into another climb followed by many ups and downs for about 11 miles, starting about 300ft and reaching 1100ft at the summit! Then it was a cracking descent down towards the lochs, the first loch is just a small one and is called Loch of the Lowes! I stopped here for my lunch while the sun was still shining, you can see the water was a bit choppy as the wind was now picking up!

1710793388360.jpeg

Right after this loch comes the much larger St Marys Loch, its the first time I have actually seen swans here!

1710793651574.jpeg

I continued round to the far side of the loch where I stopped for this photo!

1710793726720.jpeg

After a few miles I turned off the main road and headed north at the Gordon Arms Hotel and it was straight into another climb, this is part way up looking back down towards the hotel!

1710793935391.jpeg

The climb goes up to 1165ft and then its a rapid descent down towards Traquair, with the wind at my back it was an absolute blast but the road isn't in the best shape in parts although I still managed 41.1mph! At Traquair I took the back road to Cardrona to avoid the main road at Innerleithen which can be very busy with large trucks!

Innerleithen is surrounded by hills!

1710794367699.jpeg

1710794381786.jpeg

I passed through Cardona and was now only 4 miles from Peebles, arriving in the centre of town at the bridge over the River Tweed!

1710794499096.jpeg

I had covered 65 miles now and I was only 5 miles from my car but my second battery had lasted well with the wind at my back, I still had 62% left! So I decided to extend my ride and head north for Eddleston where I used the excellent cycle path which zigs and zags for quite a few miles! I was cycling along the path when I saw my first lambs of the year, I just love the sound the young ones make! They were staring me down!😁

1710794933559.jpeg

Near the end of the path there was a gang of them having fun pushing each other about!😂

1710795022421.jpeg

The path then twists and turns up into Eddleston where I thought I would have to join the main road!

When I say twists and turns I wasn't joking...

1710795121306.jpeg

I was just about to join the road when I got a lovely surprise, a brand new cycle path!

1710795208756.jpeg

The path ended after a mile or so but it looks like they are going to extend it further! I was just about to take to the main road when I saw a sign for the village of Lamancha which I knew would be on my route on the way back to the car so I decided to try the back road, it was straight into a climb and my summit software said it was a 3.1 mile climb with an average grade of 4.5%! It was quite a road, some very smooth parts and some very rough!

1710796064360.jpeg

At the end of the road it was time to turn directly into the wind on the main A701, the wind was very gusty now and I had to endure it for over 7 miles before turning SE just after Blyth Bridge and what a relief that was! My battery had dropped to 30% but I only had around 4 miles to go so I knew I was safe! Its a lovely road at the start and although it was uphill I had the wind at my back, just after these photos there is a big descent but the road surface is truly awful!

1710796492983.jpeg

1710796507221.jpeg

Its a real bone shaker but it smooths out again and the final part to the car was just awesome, I reached the car with 88.7 miles covered and I was wishing I had taken my 3rd battery as I could easily have made it a 100 miler! Never mind, there will be many more opportunities! What a brilliant day that was, I'm so glad I thought of this route! One day I will do this route all the way from home but the conditions will need to be perfect with light winds as it will be around 150 miles with at least 8000ft of elevation gain, possibly even around 10000ft! I will plan it carefully...;)

Attachments

• elevation_profile241.jpg
    elevation_profile241.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 47
  • trip-155986003-map-full241.png
    trip-155986003-map-full241.png
    343.4 KB · Views: 45
Uh where are the cars?
Love your ride pics.
Routine ride to work.
Me eating turkey sandwich on a picnic table.

Attachments

• 20210904_125939.jpg
    20210904_125939.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210904_125921.jpg
    20210904_125921.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 53
For the last 3 weeks we have been circling the 32 km round-trip in Rarotonga which is one of the Cook Islands. It was a 13 hour flight from Vancouver to Aukland New Zealand then a 4 hour flight to Raro. But for us this a favorite destination and its laid back lifestyle and friendly interactions with the local Polynesians is a highlight. Mostly mom and pop type stores and restaurants no skyscrapers here or TV and radio for that matter. We watch a lot of local rugby matches and BBQ the catch of the day including MahiMahi, yellow fin tuna and Wahoo. We bike every morning either clockwise or counterclockwise and spend our afternoons on almost deserted beaches snorkeling the lagoons with an amazing collection of sea life including giant turtles for our viewing.
20240317_184829.jpg
20240228_092126.jpg
20240317_115928.jpg20240307_124402.jpg20240317_115913.jpg

For the last 3 weeks we have been circling the 32 km round-trip in Rarotonga which is one of the Cook Islands. It was a 13 hour flight from Vancouver to Aukland New Zealand then a 4 hour flight to Raro. But for us this a favorite destination and its laid back lifestyle and friendly interactions with the local Polynesians is a highlight. Mostly mom and pop type stores and restaurants no skyscrapers here or TV and radio for that matter. We watch a lot of local rugby matches and BBQ the catch of the day including MahiMahi, yellow fin tuna and Wahoo. We bike every morning either clockwise or counterclockwise and spend our afternoons on almost deserted beaches snorkeling the lagoons with an amazing collection of sea life including giant turtles for our viewing. View attachment 172787View attachment 172789View attachment 172788View attachment 172790View attachment 172791
You win the award for the most distant EBR member to ever post in the forum. 🏆 Congratulations on a wonderful trip!

After a whole week off the bike I was determined to get out today, the weather locally wasn't very nice so I looked further afield and noticed it was looking more promising down Peebles and Moffat way!
Whenever I take a look at RWGPS, I'm shocked with new and new long rides of yours, Rab! You're gonna to make your personal record this year! Kudos!

Cook Islands
I'm watching exploits of you Bill on Strava (a great social medium indeed!) Before you flew in the Cook Islands, I was even unaware where those islands were! (Do I repeat myself?) :)

For the last 3 weeks we have been circling the 32 km round-trip in Rarotonga which is one of the Cook Islands. It was a 13 hour flight from Vancouver to Aukland New Zealand then a 4 hour flight to Raro. But for us this a favorite destination and its laid back lifestyle and friendly interactions with the local Polynesians is a highlight. Mostly mom and pop type stores and restaurants no skyscrapers here or TV and radio for that matter. We watch a lot of local rugby matches and BBQ the catch of the day including MahiMahi, yellow fin tuna and Wahoo. We bike every morning either clockwise or counterclockwise and spend our afternoons on almost deserted beaches snorkeling the lagoons with an amazing collection of sea life including giant turtles for our viewing. View attachment 172787View attachment 172789View attachment 172788View attachment 172790View attachment 172791
Wonderful sunset there, Bill. :cool: Talk about fortuitous timing on your part that you won’t be around for the impending week of wintry weather here. Enjoy the time in your own little corner of paradise.

@Prairie Dog: Winter is back to Poland :) I just wanted you not feel alone :)

This morning, my car was frozen so I could not pull my Vado from the car for an urgent morning ride, had to ride on Vado SL instead. As I was talking with the doctor, she told me she believed my cycling was the reason to keep me healthy even if I was (mistakenly) getting too low a dose of some medication. She also asked: "Oh, but did you actually ride here in snow?!" -- to which I replied "What snow?" :D

After I visited my Old Home, a townhall, a pharmacy, and an LBS, I was met by a snowfall :)

Last edited:
Back