2023 Trek Domane+

The bike is very enticing and offers several advantages over my Creo (which by the way I am very pleased with). I am a low assist rider, so lower torque is not an issue
1. 2X drive train. I often find myself toggling back and forth between 2 adjacent gears due to large jumps in cog size.
2. Weight reduction - important if riding with no to minimal assist.
3. Narrower Q factor. Oddly not an issue with discomfort, but I have unusual difficulty blindly clipping in on the Creo due to pedal placement, which doesn’t exist on my standard road bike.
4. Noise reduction - very personal but annoying with the Creo.
5. Biggest unknown with the Domane + is real world battery range which is excellent with the Creo. I can easily complete a Century with low assist (15/25) on the Creo and am awaiting other’s experience with the Domane +.
I think the pricing is competitive and in line with similarly equipped Creos. Agree that providing lower spec models (alloy frame, mechanical drivetrain) would expand potential base.

The bike is very enticing and offers several advantages over my Creo (which by the way I am very pleased with). I am a low assist rider, so lower torque is not an issue
1. 2X drive train. I often find myself toggling back and forth between 2 adjacent gears due to large jumps in cog size.
3. Narrower Q factor. Oddly not an issue with discomfort, but I have unusual difficulty blindly clipping in on the Creo due to pedal placement, which doesn’t exist on my standard road bike.
5. Biggest unknown with the Domane + is real world battery range which is excellent with the Creo. I can easily complete a Century with low assist (15/25) on the Creo and am awaiting other’s experience with the Domane +.
I think the pricing is competitive and in line with similarly equipped Creos. Agree that providing lower spec models (alloy frame, mechanical drivetrain) would expand potential base.
Good list. For me, I'd like to test the performance of the TQ motor on hills. Was chatting with mechanics at a local & big bike shop (They stock Trek, Specialized, Cube, Giant etc huge shop). These lads all go e-mountain biking and did their own test with the TQ equipped Trek Fuel EXe versus the Specialized Levo SL. They said they didn't notice much extra torque with the Trek, despite on paper the TQ rated at 50nm versus 30nm for the SL., Both felt similiar. Admittedly this wasn't exactly scientific. Be good to see a proper comparison between both motors.

IMG_2302.jpeg
IMG_2301.jpeg

Good list. For me, I'd like to test the performance of the TQ motor on hills. Was chatting with mechanics at a local & big bike shop (They stock Trek, Specialized, Cube, Giant etc huge shop). These lads all go e-mountain biking and did their own test with the TQ equipped Trek Fuel EXe versus the Specialized Levo SL. They said they didn't notice much extra torque with the Trek, despite on paper the TQ rated at 50nm versus 30nm for the SL., Both felt similiar. Admittedly this wasn't exactly scientific. Be good to see a proper comparison between both motors.

View attachment 138516View attachment 138517
Yes, also trying to find a test ride, but I can't locate a Domane locally or within 100 miles here in PA US. Not likely to make a swap for the Creo without a good bit of existing user feedback however.

I have a Creo as well and #1 is a huge frustration for me. The other factors aren't as big, but one thing you didn't list that's big with me is the spacing on the wheels. I plan to buy a nice set of carbon wheels and I want to be able to use the wheels with both my Aethos and possibly a Domane+ - Couldn't do that with a Creo.

Even if I don't keep the Aethos long term the Domane+ uses regular spacing for the wheels that is no the standard for road bikes, but the Creo uses a goofy spacing.

I have a Creo as well and #1 is a huge frustration for me. The other factors aren't as big, but one thing you didn't list that's big with me is the spacing on the wheels. I plan to buy a nice set of carbon wheels and I want to be able to use the wheels with both my Aethos and possibly a Domane+ - Couldn't do that with a Creo.

Even if I don't keep the Aethos long term the Domane+ uses regular spacing for the wheels that is no the standard for road bikes, but the Creo uses a goofy spacing.
Certainly agree. I upgraded the wheels via a Chinese builder. Pleased with the results but the wheels are useless on a non-Creo.

Joining in this thread, seems like we've all chatted before about the Creo. :)

As a 2 year Creo SL owner I took the plunge and ordered a Project One SLR9 (Shimano) to replace my admittedly still great Creo. My dealer had one I could see and ride in an SL7 build, although completely the wrong size. I"m XXL on the Creo and this one was a 56.

However, I got enough information to know this is a pretty significant upgrade over the Creo.

Power is relatively similar, a little more than the Creo at the higher cadence, a little lower off the bottom end. The most refreshing part of it was its absolute SILENCE. The lack of thrash compared to the SL motor sold me immediately. I could not hear the motor AT ALL. Some of that is down to my high frequency hearing loss, but while I felt the motor, I never could hear it. The TQ control unit was great and had better features than the mastermind TCU. I will sill want to use my garmin for GPS features, but I could see not using one.

My only (minor) concern was the bar buttons seemed a little cheesy, although well located. The motor unit is TINY. This one will be super stealthy on group rides.

I would never call any bike like this a good deal, but the pricing of the SLR Dura Ace model is comparable to many acoustic bikes in the top groupset category. I really like the idea of going back to double chain rings in the front.

It's going to take 140 days to build it in my color and spec, so I should have it by spring. I'll keep ya'll posted.

I have a Creo as well and think I would like to get a Domane+ so I’m really interested in your experience. I just wish Trek would put this motor in a frame with the 700 Series carbon so it would be less expensive.

I have a Creo as well and think I would like to get a Domane+ so I’m really interested in your experience. I just wish Trek would put this motor in a frame with the 700 Series carbon so it would be less expensive.
I wish Trek would hurry up and list this bike on their Canadian website. :confused:

Deacon, sadly I think that Trek only plans on selling the hub based Domane in Canada. The Domane+ with the TQ motor is speed limited to 45 km/hr and I think they don’t want to bother selling a 32 km/hr version in Canada. I’ve resigned myself to buying one in Washington and bringing it home.

Deacon, sadly I think that Trek only plans on selling the hub based Domane in Canada. The Domane+ with the TQ motor is speed limited to 45 km/hr and I think they don’t want to bother selling a 32 km/hr version in Canada. I’ve resigned myself to buying one in Washington and bringing it home.
Trek Canada already sells this motor in their mountain bike line-up , so they already have this motor set up for a 32kph. Also, the owner of our local Trek bike shop thinks this bike is coming to Canada. Nothing is for sure, though and it won't be the first time a bike was sold in the US, but not in Canada.
When the bike is available in Canada (positive thinking here) I plan on selling my Giant Defy Pro 0 road bike and my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3 e-gravel bike. I recently purchased full suspension e-mountain bike, so I don't really need a gravel bike.

Oh, I forgot about the Fuel EXe, so maybe there is hope.

If I get the Domane+ it will be my gravel bike as I'm likely to keep the Aethos for road duty. The Domane+ will be for gravel duty or days when I want some assist on the road.

Deacon, I got an email from Trek about their Christmas catalog. In it they show the Domane+ SLR and the catalog says "Coming soon to Canada", so it appears you're correct.

It will be interesting to see what the price is, sure to be expensive. Hopefully there will be a less expensive option for the TQ motor in the future.

I did a ride of the Trek TQ mountain bike and it is really quiet which I loved.
I was hoping it would feel stronger , but wasn’t sure what to expect, compared to my Stromers.

TQ motor is tiny tiny so wishing for a 500 + watt version which would still be small.

It will be very interesting to see how the lightweight road TQ feels vs the mtn bike heavier bike and its 20 mph assist limit and mtn tires etc.

TQ—- give us a big brother or two. 😀

That would be the HPR120, the older brother of this HPR50. Known as the Flyon, but only used by Haibike and only on mtb in Europe.

@Captain Slow In the EBR review of the Domane+ SLR Court writes that he got the test bike from Coquitlam Trek so there's at least 1 in Canada already.
Yes, but the HPR120 is not a natural feel, next generation type of motor. And it is loud.
It is not what I am hoping for, a HPR50 x 2

Last edited:
I just purchased the 2023 Domane+ SLR 6 with the goal of blending, into one bike, the best of my Trek Allant+ 7s and Domane SL6. This reviewer did a great job of articulating my experience with the bike. https://cyclingtips.com/2022/10/2023-trek-domane-plus-e-road-bike-review/. I will say, that getting used to the way the motor engages takes some getting used to after riding my Allant+ 7s. The feel is very different and relies more on finding the right cadence and gear so that takes an adjustment in expectations. The geometry feels like my analog Domane sl6, so that's familiar. I had 40s put on to smooth out the ride even more. My fenders are being installed today and they are raising my handlebars to make it more comfortable for me (I'm a bit of a T Rex!). Without any additional accessories, the bike is under 30lbs which feels amazing compared to my Allant, but heavier than my analog Domane. Overall, I think I'm going to be very happy with this new addition to my stable!

Attachments

• IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 227
I can't figure out Trek Canada. The Domane+ bikes are about 30% more money in Canada, thanks to our crappy dollar compared to the US dollar. Even though the bikes are 40% more money Trek, in all their wisdom, won't be brining in the SLR6. The lowest model they'll be bringing in is the SLR7. :mad:

I just purchased the 2023 Domane+ SLR 6 with the goal of blending, into one bike, the best of my Trek Allant+ 7s and Domane SL6. This reviewer did a great job of articulating my experience with the bike. https://cyclingtips.com/2022/10/2023-trek-domane-plus-e-road-bike-review/. I will say, that getting used to the way the motor engages takes some getting used to after riding my Allant+ 7s. The feel is very different and relies more on finding the right cadence and gear so that takes an adjustment in expectations. The geometry feels like my analog Domane sl6, so that's familiar. I had 40s put on to smooth out the ride even more. My fenders are being installed today and they are raising my handlebars to make it more comfortable for me (I'm a bit of a T Rex!). Without any additional accessories, the bike is under 30lbs which feels amazing compared to my Allant, but heavier than my analog Domane. Overall, I think I'm going to be very happy with this new addition to my stable!
Nice bike,
I wouldn't leave it on that bike rack overnight...

Agree that sorting out good combinations of gear, assist, speed, and power input under various conditions takes some getting used to with the TQ HPR50 motor.
What brand and model is the carrier in the photo? ~ Cost? Difficult to attach to the car?

Agree that sorting out good combinations of gear, assist, speed, and power input under various conditions takes some getting used to with the TQ HPR50 motor.
What brand and model is the carrier in the photo? ~ Cost? Difficult to attach to the car?
The rack is a 1up super dutyhttps://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-single-bike-rack/

Back