2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Wrapping up riding on the island this morning with PM and my buddies from our Italian tour last year. Gorgeous day for a ride!

Screenshot_20230910-170650.png

Here is the front view video of my ride fro Astoria to seaside. for some reason my back camera did not start will way ofter the worst of the cars went by. going over the bridge was the only bad part a bit narrow.
If you're still heading south to Cannon Beach from Seaside, you'll be passing Ecola State Park, a gorgeous coastal park with some spectacular ocean views. Spent a very worthwhile half day there while we were staying in Cannon.

Electric Brothers Gran Fondo
Czersk Castle Ride with Jacek

'Have you noticed you experience a crash whenever you wear your black Specialized helmet? Perhaps it's the time you should stop wearing it?' -- were the first words of Jacek as we met at Decathlon Bemowo (the place equidistant from our homes) on Sunday around 10 am :)

'Got time. Want to ride' -- was the message of my brother on Saturday evening. You'd love my laconic first cousin! (it is the "paternal uncle brother" where I live). He is almost a German with his short sentences! Like 'A little warm today' when there is a scorching sun and 30 C as it was on last Sunday! When we were messaging and chatting on the phone on Saturday, Jacek confessed he had never done two things: Do a classic "Góra Kalwaria Ride"; and visit the Castle of Czersk. Which was shocking to me to hear as both activities are the must for any Warsaw roadie. I'd loved the idea to take my beloved cousin to both places!

My chosen outward ride leg of the ride across Warsaw was unusual even to myself. I could hardly believe how beautiful Warsaw has become for the last years! Like, the new "Manhattan" rapidly growing in the quarter of Wola, or gorgeously gentrified Koszyki Market Hall in Koszykowa (The Baskets in the Basket Str). Anyway, I took Jacek to Góra Kalwaria a non-standard way to be able to make a loop later.

Góra Kalwaria

1694403589497.png

Jacek in the front of Góra Kawiarnia (Mt Cafe) in Góra Kalwaria (Mt Calvary).

Góra Kalwaria is a quaint city atop one of very few hills we have in Mazovia. To get there, you need to negotiate an 8.6% climb. While I had no issues with that on my Vado 6.0, Jacek was just flying uphill on his Giant Trance E+ Pro 2! As we reached the summit, he proudly drawled out: 'This bike just loves the hills!' :)

There is a long stretch of excellent asphalt (with minimal traffic) between Warsaw and Góra Kalwaria, making it the most frequented cycling destination for Warsaw roadies and recreational riders; gravel cyclists arrive there through the woods (and that's how Jacek got to Mt Calvary for his first time).

1694404506140.png
1694404531903.png

1694404563159.png

We wasted no time for Mt Cafe this time but headed straight to Delizza, an Italian restaurant. We got the Cold Soup, Pasta, Pizza, and Jacek took a glass of craft Pilsner. An excellent restaurant but very expensive nowadays (as everything is!)

The Czersk Castle
We took a dreadful descent on raw cobblestones to get to the Vistula valley (I was walking my Vado while Jacek happily rode down on his full suspension e-MTB...), and after a short gravel/sand/asphalt ride among apple-tree orchards, we climbed onto another hill, Czersk.

For several hundred of years, Mazovia was an independent dukedom split into three provinces. In 1388, our good duke Janusz I of Warsaw said: 'I want to have my capital city here!' and ordered the construction of the castle in Czersk. After just 12 years, the Vistula backed off for a couple of miles, making Czersk unsuitable for the province capital. Duke Janusz said: 'A lot of good money wasted! However, let us finish the castle but I'm moving to Warsaw!' Indeed, the Czersk Castle was completed in 1410 but Janusz created Warsaw as his capital city soon! (The good prince who made our Warsaw the city and incorporated Podlachia into Mazovia actually died in Czersk in 1429). The castle was later ruined by the Swedish (1656).

1694406141528.png

Jacek at the stone bridge of the Czersk Castle (1766: the last attempt to rebuild the fortress). As cyclists, we got the reduced price entry tickets! ♥️

1694406235189.png

Fancy that the Vistula was flowing just below the hill by 1410... It is invisible even from the castle towers nowadays!

1694406310603.png

There is just a meadow inside the castle walls nowadays. Yes, there is a wooden Inn with food and beer, at least :)

1694406416353.png

The remnants of the castle. I was enjoying life just laying flat on the grass! :)

1694406472057.png

Jacek climbed one of the towers. 'Nothing to see. Just a valley with a lot of greenery!'

The Góra Kalwaria Classic Ride
The return ride

For the first time in his life, Jacek could enjoy the Góra Kalwaria Classic Ride on our return to Warsaw. We stopped for my Vado battery swap in Cieciszew. As we were sitting on a bench, Jacek admitted: 'It's a very warm day. Feel tired. Have no motivation to ride. Guess what? Let some roadie overtake us and we'd chase him!' :D It always works for us on warm afternoons, haha!

So we did it.

As soon as two roadies riding at 41 km/h passed us, I went Turbo and barked at Jacek: 'Assistance up!' then I got like glued behind the rear wheel of the roadie in front of me! After two bends and onto the straight road stretch, I pedalled harder, got at 46 km/h and overtook the roadies like in the dream! What fun, haha! However, I noticed Jacek falling behind, so I had to slow down. Those e-MTBs! With the 36T chainring, Jacek could muster up to 40 km/h at a very high cadence but not more! Anyway, the adrenalin rush was what we needed! We were zooming fast towards Warsaw, no prisoners taken! :) Suddenly, I signalled the turn and stop at the Tandem Bar, another cycling resting place.

The Unexpected Meeting

As we sat on a bench, me drinking coffee and Jacek eating a sausage, I could suddenly spot my old dear friend Lidia, a high school classmate!

1694407253684.png

They say you must meet some friends on the Góra Kalwaria Classic :) I last saw Lidia exactly there at the Tandem three years ago! What a coincidence! Lidia is an avid cyclist, now riding a good Merida trekking bike, and taking organised cycling tours abroad often. We had a wonderful chat and I am sure we would be riding together soon!

1694408356961.png

I love riding with Jacek! We know each other so well, mutually understand our own capabilities and what our e-bikes can give us, we ride pretty fast, and we never complain!

Last edited:
Any ride that you can walk away from is a good one.
Even if you're limping and bleeding, walking away is always good.

I walked away from my ride yesterday, sweaty and hot. The air was so thick and humid you could swim in it. No amount of speed could produce any cool air, so after a while I stopped trying and just set my brain on "pleasure drive".

My friend and I had planned to ride in the morning but just as we moved our bikes from our respective garages out to our driveways to stage our ride, a few rain showers snuck in overhead and put that plan back on the shelf. After awhile the rain showers moved off to annoy people elsewhere, so I set out solo in the afternoon for a relaxed 15 mile ride around the block, stopping enroute for a half hour to visit with an old Endurance friend and catch up on the latest in the sport. By the time we had waved goodbye and I had set off back down the road, the air had gotten even thicker if that is even remotely possible. I was only about 3 mi from home and decided I'd had enough of the unenthusiastic day.

I'll take my bike out again today when the weather is a bit more agreeable.

Sunday Farm Market in a local village:
20230910_135520_copy_1081x906.jpg

Last edited:
The wind was blowing something fierce today. Hard to tell from the image below but SE gusts up to 60 kph made for a challenging first half of the ride.

PXL_20230911_174257888.jpg

Most of the crops around here have been taken off but combine harvesters continue to work their magic in the fields in light of the recent dry conditions.

PXL_20230911_172819674.jpg

1694530068699.png

I was a bit sick over the weekend and really gutted to miss the motor racing at Knockhill, the weather was just perfect for cycling up to the circuit! I didn't even feel well enough to go in the car, I think it was due to the crazy hot weather we were experiencing at the start of September as it was nudging 80F and the humidity was just unbearable! I know 80F is nothing compared to you folks across the pond but when you are used to 50-60F, its tough going! I was a little better yesterday and thankfully the temps were back to normal so I went out for a walk in the cooler air and although I wasn't 100% I felt ok!

I got a good sleep last night and after doing some grocery shopping I decided to get out in perfect cycling weather, I deliberately only charged my 2 batteries to 80% to stop me going too far and overdoing it and 63 miles later... 😂 I just couldn't help myself, when I set off my legs felt so heavy and I thought I was going to cut my ride short but when I got my second wind my strength returned to my legs and I was feeling prettygood! So I decided to tackle the Campsie Hills from the Lennoxtown end as I haven't been over in that direction since the road was resurfaced for the World Championships!

My first stop near Kilsyth at the bridge over the canal, as you can see the weather was glorious and the winds were only around 10mph from the ENE!

1694530985810.png

1694531072780.png

I then took the back road to Lennoxtown through Twechar and Kirkintilloch, I used this road recently in the opposite direction and really enjoyed it so it was a no brainer to try it the other way and avoid the busier roads! It runs alongside the canal for quite a few miles!

1694531276627.png

I arrived in Kirkintilloch and made a wrong turning but as it was signposted for Lennoxtown I just continued and it actually brought me out on to the main road at Milton of Campsie, only a short distance from Lennoxtown! A quick stop at Whitefield pond before the big climb up over the Campsies!

1694531494064.png

1694531548925.png

I started the climb soon after and the summit software was showing a 3.1 mile ascent with an average grade of 5.2%, I surprised myself by climbing it in level 2 assist but the light breeze was at my back and was obviously helping! Then the road turns NE and it was a different story now but I managed in level 2 and saved my battery!

This was just after reaching the summit!

1694531856938.png

You can see the lovely new tarmac here and the view to the north was pretty special!

1694531937003.png

I was on the descent proper now but it was still into the wind so no 40mph today...I just had to stop here though as the views of the mountain range at the Trossachs were just spectacular, it was nice to have a clear day for a change as its been very hazy recently!

1694532090360.png

Another stop near the bottom for this photo!

1694532196601.png

I arrived in the valley and turned up the climb towards the Carron Valley Reservoir, its around 2 miles with an average grade of 4.2% and right into the headwind but I managed to persevere with assist level 2! Another stop on the way up to grab a couple of photos of the hills I just descended!

1694532454902.png

1694532508759.png

This road was also used in the World Championships so I had more lovely new tarmac to enjoy!

1694532589921.png

1694532652196.png

My first battery dropped to 20% on the climb and a few minutes later it was down to 5% at 29 miles covered, time to change just as the Carron Valley Reservoir came into view!

1694532829419.png

1694532869426.png

The reservoir was looking pristine today, a little lower after the dry spell but nowhere near as bad as last year!

1694533042818.png

I was now nearing the end of the reservoir so I just had to grab more photos!

1694533150207.png

1694533198840.png

In another mile or so I had the option to go back over the Campsies again and take the road down into Kilsyth but I didn't want to chance the big climb with my second battery at only 76% so continued on towards Stoneywood where I would have a lovely 3.5 mile descent to enjoy and I can tell you I enjoyed it very much! :D From here I took the road to Bonnybridge and soon the climbing started again, just before the steepest climb I spotted this herd of deer so just had to stop!

1694533597387.png

These roads are very narrow but thankfully very quiet and all the way to Falkirk I only saw 2 cars and not a single tractor, I wasn't complaining about that! I arrived in Falkirk and yet more climbing ensued up to Slamannan and I used the quiet back roads to Longriggend and then on to Caldercruix where it was a straight road home with my battery down to 30% now but the light breeze was now at my back so no range anxiety today! I arrived in my home town with 28% remaining so I used level 3 assist for the final big climbs and arrived home feeling really good! When I set off today I really didn't know what to expect after my illness but 63 miles and 4500ft of elevation gain means I'm back to full health and what a brilliant day in perfect weather! 😁

@Chargeride Happy 60th birthday, I hope you are having an awesome day buddy! Congratulations to your daughter, what a beautiful photo and her dress is magnificent!👌

Attachments

• elevation_profile193.jpg
    elevation_profile193.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 61
  • trip-134356286-map-full193.png
    trip-134356286-map-full193.png
    463.2 KB · Views: 66
I was a bit sick over the weekend and really gutted to miss the motor racing at Knockhill, the weather was just perfect for cycling up to the circuit! I didn't even feel well enough to go in the car, I think it was due to the crazy hot weather we were experiencing at the start of September as it was nudging 80F and the humidity was just unbearable! I know 80F is nothing compared to you folks across the pond but when you are used to 50-60F, its tough going! I was a little better yesterday and thankfully the temps were back to normal so I went out for a walk in the cooler air and although I wasn't 100% I felt ok.
I just couldn't help myself, when I set off my legs felt so heavy and I thought I was going to cut my ride short but when I got my second wind my strength returned to my legs and I was feeling prettygood! So I decided to tackle the Campsie Hills from the Lennoxtown end as I haven't been over in that direction since the road was resurfaced for the World Championships!
Good to know that you’re feeling better. 👍 Like you, I don’t ride well in the heat either but fortunately humidity doesn’t play as significant a role here as in other regions of the country. Finding your legs even after one or two days off the bike is customary but with the amount of vertical that you have to deal with speaks highly of the physical condition that you must be in.

I was a bit sick over the weekend and really gutted to miss the motor racing at Knockhill, the weather was just perfect for cycling up to the circuit! I didn't even feel well enough to go in the car, I think it was due to the crazy hot weather we were experiencing at the start of September as it was nudging 80F and the humidity was just unbearable!
I feel your pain. We are used to 80°F with humidity, but the tolerance for our recent high 90°F is lacking. The number of bikes out on our roads dropped to zero last month, and I have heard from a few friends that heat sickness has been going around. So you're in good company @RabH .

Yesterday my neighbor texted me to see if I wanted to ride. The temps had finally subsided into the cooler region for the morning, so I zipped over to her place to find her hovering over her bike in a state of worry. She had a habit of forgetting to pump up her tires unless I reminded her. This time she did remember, but somehow put the pump nozzle on wrong, couldn't get it off, and was frantic. Turns out she had crimped the valve sideways. A bit of careful extraction, a pair of pliers, and the value was back in operation. We got her tires pumped and were ready to go.

We set off down her driveway only for her to stop in exasperation. She thought she had recharged the battery, but apparently not. No matter how you cut it, her battery didn't have enough charge for our planned 30 mile ride. It was either shorten the ride or go back to get her other ebike (which may or may not have been charged). I opted for a shorter 8 mile ride which her battery could handle, and off we went.

The gravel roads in our area that had any sort of steep slope had suffered from the recent heavy rains with severe runoff and ditches carved into the road surface. But on the plus side the dust was gone, the grasses had bounced back to a lovely green again, and the temps were beyond perfect. Our ride was perfect as well. Lots of chatter, gossip, and enjoying the delicious breezes. Such a treat after a month long run of miserable heat and drought.

Once back home hubby and I spent the afternoon trying to fit out the Thule bike rack to fit the new electric truck. Turns out the reach bar was about 4" too short for the bike to fit without bumping the tailgate. A 90 mile run around the countryside to various welding places to see if we could get a longer replacement for the reach, and then some tinkering at home, and we think we managed to get the bike rack set.
20230913_121448_copy_1200x1600.jpg

I'll be honest that I'm not happy with some of the "tinkering", especially when a $5k bike is riding on top. I think having that crossbar perched at the very end of the reach carrying a heavy bike is just an accident waiting to happen, so we will head back today to the one welding place that has a long reach we can cut to fit, and buy it.

I'd rather be safe, with a few dollars less in my pocket, than sorry.

Last edited:
1694699048500.png

I was in 2 minds about going out today, with gusty winds and a good chance of heavy rain it didn't look very inviting! I had a look outside and it looked nasty to the west and the south but more promising to the east and north so I decided to chance it and head north east to Bridgend and assess the situation from there! The wind was from the SW so I had it at my back all the way to Bridgend and I really enjoyed that! :D At Bridgend the worst of the weather had moved to the north but it was still hanging around out to the west which would be the direction I would need to go to get home, I had a look at the lastest forecast and it was showing heavy rain at home around 1pm!

So I headed south to Dechmont via Beecraigs Country Park which meant a big climb into the wind but then a lovely descent down into Dechmont! From there I used the excellent cycle path to Bathgate but now I was taking on a 30mph headwind all the way home, no problem for my awesome bike though! It would have been hell on a standard bike today, not surprisingly any cyclists I did see were heading east and I can't blame them! I didn't take any photos today, I just wanted to enjoy the ride in the conditions without any distractions!

I arrived in Bathgate to find a long queue of cars due to the road being resurfaced, so I took to the paths and passed all the poor people in their tin boxes...;) Next was Armadale and another queue of cars due to roadworks, back on the paths again with a big grin! :D I really didn't like the scene to the west though, it was pretty dark and I was now sure I was going to get soaked! Just after Armadale I could feel rain on my face and the wind had picked up even more so I was resigned to getting wet, it wasn't cold though so it didn't really phase me! Amazingly a few minutes later the rain stopped and the sky cleared, all thanks to that strong wind blowing it through!

It was still looking nasty in the distance though but my luck was in and I arrived home totally dry at 12.35pm and very happy with my decision to just go for it! 10 minutes later the heavy rain arrived and was I glad I was indoors now, it sure was my lucky day! When I arrived at Bridgend my average speed was 18.6 mph and I was very surprised I ended up with an average of 16.8 mph after fighting that wind for over 20 miles! I have added more of my photos from my last ride, I had taken so many on that gorgeous day!

@Readytoride Your friend sure had her problems, is that the same one that set off with the flat battery before? Its a shame you could only get out for a short ride but it looks like you both enjoyed it anyway! Hopefully you will catch a break with the weather and get some nice fall rides done, good luck with your bike rack which does look like it needs extended a bit! Our temps are now around 15C which suits me nicely and I'm feeling much better for it!

Attachments

• 20230912_122959.jpg
    20230912_122959.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230912_134050.jpg
    20230912_134050.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230912_134112.jpg
    20230912_134112.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230912_104059.jpg
    20230912_104059.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230912_120140.jpg
    20230912_120140.jpg
    642.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230912_121628.jpg
    20230912_121628.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230912_122352.jpg
    20230912_122352.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230912_122815.jpg
    20230912_122815.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230912_122815.jpg
    20230912_122815.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20230912_122336.jpg
    20230912_122336.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230912_120624.jpg
    20230912_120624.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230912_120110.jpg
    20230912_120110.jpg
    432.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230912_115341.jpg
    20230912_115341.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230912_115337.jpg
    20230912_115337.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230912_115334.jpg
    20230912_115334.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230912_114430.jpg
    20230912_114430.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 69
  • trip-134544022-map-full194.png
    trip-134544022-map-full194.png
    431.7 KB · Views: 62
  • elevation_profile194.jpg
    elevation_profile194.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 59
@Readytoride Your friend sure had her problems, is that the same one that set off with the flat battery before? Its a shame you could only get out for a short ride but it looks like you both enjoyed it anyway! Hopefully you will catch a break with the weather and get some nice fall rides done, good luck with your bike rack which does look like it needs extended a bit! Our temps are now around 15C which suits me nicely and I'm feeling much better for it!
Same one. 🙃 She has a lot going on right now with the renovations in her house, and she said the electrician was working in the garage and may have turned off the power to the plugs. Something she never noticed when she plugged in her bike the prior day. She was pretty annoyed at herself and kept apologizing. I waved it off because it wasn't a big deal and the shorter ride was a perfect fit for the morning.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. The heat here was sapping the life and health out of everyone I knew. Thankfully the weather has finally shifted from abysmal to sublime (68-72°F/20-22°c), and I'm going to take full advantage of the cool air today with a relaxed solo 24 mile ride before the bike is loaded on the rack for the trip south to Saturday's charity bike ride.

The rack now sports a brand new solid reach bar, which we picked up from the metal works place yesterday. The gentleman at the metal works place made sure the end of the 6' long bar fit easily into the hitch receiver before he put the bar in the truck bed for us to take home. I think it took all told 20 minutes for hubby to cut it to fit, and drill the cotter key hole. Once that was done the shortened bar was tested, painted, and once dried it was assembled with the carrier crosspiece. A quick trip down the road on the new truck, packing a cheap bike, was flawless. I am very happy with the results. We could have saved a lot of time and effort on our part had we gone with the new bar instead of juryrigging the old one. Live and learn.

Especially pleased with the new electric truck that sensed a bike on the rack off its bumper and automatically turned off the radar sensors to the rear. I didn't have to do anything other than back the truck out of the garage and head down the road. I love technology that is well thought out for practical applications.😊🚲

Same one. 🙃 She has a lot going on right now with the renovations in her house, and she said the electrician was working in the garage and may have turned off the power to the plugs. Something she never noticed when she plugged in her bike the prior day. She was pretty annoyed at herself and kept apologizing. I waved it off because it wasn't a big deal and the shorter ride was a perfect fit for the morning.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. The heat here was sapping the life and health out of everyone I knew. Thankfully the weather has finally shifted from abysmal to sublime (68-72°F/20-22°c), and I'm going to take full advantage of the cool air today with a relaxed solo 24 mile ride before the bike is loaded on the rack for the trip south to Saturday's charity bike ride.

The rack now sports a brand new solid reach bar, which we picked up from the metal works place yesterday. The gentleman at the metal works place made sure the end of the 6' long bar fit easily into the hitch receiver before he put the bar in the truck bed for us to take home. I think it took all told 20 minutes for hubby to cut it to fit, and drill the cotter key hole. Once that was done the shortened bar was tested, painted, and once dried it was assembled with the carrier crosspiece. A quick trip down the road on the new truck, packing a cheap bike, was flawless. I am very happy with the results. We could have saved a lot of time and effort on our part had we gone with the new bar instead of juryrigging the old one. Live and learn.

Especially pleased with the new electric truck that sensed a bike on the rack off its bumper and automatically turned off the radar sensors to the rear. I didn't have to do anything other than back the truck out of the garage and head down the road. I love technology that is well thought out for practical applications.😊🚲
I thought it was her, maybe you could get her to sign up to the forums and her nick could be Notreadytoride... 😂 Maybe suggest she keeps her battery charged between 50-80% and she can ride anytime she likes! It looks like you are ready to ride then, great to hear!👍Excuse the pun ;) All the best with your upcoming charity ride!

Not About The Ride...

As I was returning from an evening shopping ride (I was buying nutrients for a demanding gravel group ride of tomorrow), two little boys approached me in the parking lot:

-- 'Sir, sir! Can you fix my bike?' -- I lit the little 20" wheel bike with the headlight of my Vado SL. The chain stuck between the smallest cassette sprocket and the rear triangle -- 'You see?' -- the smarter of the two remarked -- 'We were just missing good lighting!' -- 'I will fix it, boys, just give me a minute so I can bring a tool with me!' -- I said.

Brought an adjustable wrench and one of my portable rechargeable headlights as a flashlight. It was very easy to release the nuts from the axle, move the wheel a little, free the chain, and retighten the thing. 'Sir, sir! Can you reinflate my tyres?' Hahaha! I sighed, went back to my apartment, brought the pump and finished my work :)

When I was leaving the scene, I asked the boys: 'Didn't you forget an important word?' -- 'THANK YOU!' -- both yelled :)

A small thing but it left me with a feeling I did something good. I really prefer the boys ride bikes than... whatever!

Back in Dolgellau, the wife is obsessed with this place, tiny airbnb in the centre of town, no parking unless you fight someone for it.
IMG_20230916_092011093_HDR.jpg

Doing a very nostalgic track from Cwrt to Tywyn, its just down the road from the crackers Dyfi forest mtb trails.
Search atherton ridge crash.

Anyway this was the first offroad track I ever rode 40 years ago and never been back since.
Its only 20 miles, but so steep Im taking two batteries..

Screenshot_20230916-063631.png

What an utterly epic trail, way past mtb suitable, this is a green lane rupp, road used as public path.
Massive sinkholes they probably got huge 4x4s stuck in, 3ft deep floods , melon size boulders, slabs.

Absolutely awesome 😄

Beautiful views, menacing skies, all by myself.
There is a voluntary restriction on it because of erosion.
IMG_20230916_114303274_HDR.jpg

This path is the centre piece for many of our pub stories, this is where we camped and my friend cleaned his teeth in the stream waterfall, I climbed up and found a dead sheep covered in maggots floating just above it.

IMG_20230916_113829134.jpg

A not very good drone shot.
Screenshot_20230916-142157~3.png

Cutest little hamlet with a narrow guage train to the beach.

IMG_20230916_114836645_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230916_114846599.jpg

I rode along Tywyn beach all the way to Aberdovey and there was the end station for a bike race, so I rode under the finish inflatable arch, got some bad looks.

Considered taking the coastal train back to the van, but it went past by three miles and it was only five on the road.
Amazingly the battery was still good, powered along the coastal rode.
Swapped the battery for the supersteep climb to where the van was parked, nice fresh battery tore up it.

Very impressed with the single battery, its four years old and been abused beyond any recommended treatment.
Submerged, over heated till its too hot to touch, left super flat, left fully charged for months.

It did 2O miles, massive hairpin climbs over rubble 2700ft ascent, long beach ride in semi soft sand and a 6 mile headwind at 18mph.

Im still knackered though.

I forgot the screwdriver, so had to tape the second battery in place 😂

Had my step son and his friend over from Poland this week and haven’t been able to get out on the bike.

Dropped them off at the airport this morning to get the first flight back. Back home and Mrs DG is at work, so went out on a leisurely bike ride.
IMG_2261.jpeg

The hot weather has eased off a bit. Starting temperature was 17oC (62oF) and finished at 23oC (73oF).

During last week though I did manage to get some work done on the bike:
  • Had a knock and rattle from the front mudguard, so found that and fixed it. Now nice and quiet.
  • Changed the elastomer in the Cane Creek eeSilk+ suspension saddle post. I knew the original was too light for me, but couldn’t find one anywhere in the UK. Eventually found one in Germany, so got there in the end. Definitely better having the correct one as not bottoming out now, so the ride is better and you can feel more give / bounce, which is more comfortable. And re-trying the Ergon SC Core Prime saddle.
  • IMG_2255.jpeg

• Also took the opportunity to change the pedals. The original ones were Nylon with moulded raised lugs, but I had worn these down. Changed over to Crank Brothers Stamp1 with the screw through pins, which were bigger. However, kept catching my shin on these and cutting myself. The original pedals were VP Components, so looked at others that they have. Ended up getting a Aluminium pair with moulded raised lugs, but also, longer spindle length from pedal to the crank, so now trying these out and, so far, so good.
  • IMG_2254.jpeg

• Also changed the front disc pads as the brakes felt a bit soft. At first appearance there wasn’t much between them, but, when braking they are much sharper.
DG…

Last edited:
Back