2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

This 15 km loop can’t be taken lightly as the rocky terrain could prove to be challenging even for the most seasoned rider.
You can say that again, that was some real rugged terrain! I was a little disappointed you didn't bunny hop the fallen tree... ;) It was sure worth the effort for those incredible vistas!👌I was exhausted watching that!😂 Amazing effort Art!👍

This is a bit late in coming but I’m finally getting around to posting a follow up to my ride on Thursday. This would only be my second visit to the trails of West Bragg Creek and I know that it likely won’t be my last.

Powderface Ridge was also high on my list of trail rides this year so I thought that I would take it on when it was still early in the season before the swarms of summer hikers converged on it.

View attachment 157186
View attachment 157185
The trailhead is located about an hour’s drive west of the townsite of Bragg Creek, AB at the end of the paved section of Hwy 66. This 15 km loop can’t be taken lightly as the rocky terrain could prove to be challenging even for the most seasoned rider.

It’s a grueling grind on an aesthetic mountain ridge. Steep and technical, with lots of large loose rock combined with a view of the Rockies to the west and the foothills to the east, making this an athletic test piece with constant rewards. You definitely don’t want to be riding it on a hardtail.

My plan was to ride it from north to south (CW) starting from the Powderface Trail which is a gravel forestry road and likely the most convenient way to access the ridge via the Trail Creek Junction. I arrived at the starting point of my ride at 9am and immediately set off up the PF Trail.

There is no signage for the Creekside junction but you’ll know that you’ve arrived at the trail head by a visible pullout which allows for limited vehicle parking. From there, a small orange marker on one of the trees indicates the trail entrance.

View attachment 157187

The 1.3 km up the steep and rocky junction trail towards the ridge gets your heart pumping and is an early warning of what to expect further on. Nothing on this trail comes easy.

View attachment 157188
View attachment 157189
View attachment 157190

The rocks seemed to outnumber roots but they also made their presence felt.
View attachment 157191
View attachment 157194

Last uphill stretch before arriving at the saddle on top of the Powder Ridge Trail.
View attachment 157192

A fabulous view of the Nihahi Ridge.

View attachment 157193

Just prior to reaching the summit at 2250 meters, I met another rider on his Santa Cruz emtb who came up on my six as we both approached the top. We ended up walking our bikes up the last 100 meters as the steep and rocky terrain was impossible to ride over. He remarked how there was still snow present two weeks ago along the section just before the decent down the ridge trail.

View attachment 157195
View attachment 157196

The well deserved view atop the summit on the Powderface Ridge Trail.
View attachment 157197

The Ridge trail makes a sharp exit left and drops off the east side of the ridge and down a descent into the forest and as expected more of the same accompanying rock-strewn terrain.

View attachment 157198
View attachment 157199

Being accustomed to fallen tree encounters, there was no way that this one was going to halt my way to the east ridge.

View attachment 157200

Another climb brought me back up on to the open east ridge and down to a lush alpine meadow. I stopped here for a snack and also thought that it was a good spot to capture some aerial footage. The views were stunning but I could have taken advantage of a superior vantage point had I left the trail and hiked another 200 meters to the south summit cairn overlooking the Elbow Valley (Rt of center in the image). I could hear the echoes of hikers up at the flag cairn but I was firmly planted and enjoying the view from my lower perch. I was constantly on the lookout for wildflowers but it might have been too early in the season.

View attachment 157202
View attachment 157205
View attachment 157204

The view of the Elbow Valley as seen from the drone. The meandering Elbow River and emerald waters of Forget Me Not Pond are backed by an astonishingly picture-perfect panorama of the Rockies.

View attachment 157203

I started my descent down the Ridge Trail. By this time, I had already crossed paths with several hikers most of who were walking the trail from point to point. This couple were keenly interested in how my FS bike handled the rocky terrain.

View attachment 157206
View attachment 157207
Back in the forest, more of the same but steeper now. It was hard to set a consistent pace typical of the terrain on the trail. No picking lines here, you just go with the flow and try and let the bike do its job. :rolleyes:

View attachment 157208
View attachment 157209

I exit the trail down to the parking area. This completes my ride of the Powderface Ridge Loop and I can definitely say without a doubt that its reputation precedes it. I can’t imagine riding this as an out-and-back but those who have the legs to do so, would certainly deserve all of the accolades. I would even consider riding this trail during the winter on a fat bike when all of the rocks and roots would be covered in a foot or two of deep snow.

View attachment 157210

Before driving the 200+ km back to home base, I stopped by the nearby picturesque Elbow Falls to take in some refreshing views.

View attachment 157211
View attachment 157212
View attachment 157213

Looking back along Hwy 66, the beauty of the area alone makes it deserving of to visit. Just be sure to purchase a K-Country park pass before you head out on the road. 👍

View attachment 157214

This video is longer than usual but I think it depicts a true visual experience of what the Powder Ridge Trail is really like to ride. That being said, if it’s not your thing, feel free to skip over it. :)

Dayum Art... Nicely done indeed for tackling that!
I'm pretty sure I would have died about 1/3 of the way up. 🤣

Holy smokes, never mind the bike trail, the drive over and back is worth a day by itself. 400 kilometers? Easy and apparently worth every one of them.
It would make a great road trip for sure Dave. At the end of my ride, I headed to the pond but being the last day of school, there were busloads of students on what was likely their final field outing before the summer holiday break so I decided to return back to my vehicle.

My wife, brother-in-law and I rode the stretch of Hwy 66 from Bragg Creek to Forget Me Not Pond and back two years ago and it was one that we’ll always have fond memories of.

You can say that again, that was some real rugged terrain! I was a little disappointed you didn't bunny hop the fallen tree... ;) It was sure worth the effort for those incredible vistas!👌I was exhausted watching that!😂 Amazing effort Art!👍
Thanks RH. It might be a while before I attempt to ride this trail again. That being said, I knew beforehand that the views at the top were going to be well worth the effort and I wasn’t disappointed. There is such a variety of singles to choose from at West Bragg Creek which makes it such a phenomenal place to ride. The summit was nice but I thought the vistas at the east ridge were even more spectacular.
Dayum Art... Nicely done indeed for tackling that!
I'm pretty sure I would have died about 1/3 of the way up. 🤣
Believe me, I felt that way a few times up the Powderface Creek Trail on my way to the Ridge intersection. I had to stop to catch my breath at many of the rock gardens. I'm just thankful that I didn't have a puncture along the way as some of the rocks were pretty jagged.

Last edited:
This is a bit late in coming but I’m finally getting around to posting a follow up to my ride on Thursday. This would only be my second visit to the trails of West Bragg Creek and I know that it likely won’t be my last.

Powderface Ridge was also high on my list of trail rides this year so I thought that I would take it on when it was still early in the season before the swarms of summer hikers converged on it.

View attachment 157186
View attachment 157185
The trailhead is located about an hour’s drive west of the townsite of Bragg Creek, AB at the end of the paved section of Hwy 66. This 15 km loop can’t be taken lightly as the rocky terrain could prove to be challenging even for the most seasoned rider.

It’s a grueling grind on an aesthetic mountain ridge. Steep and technical, with lots of large loose rock combined with a view of the Rockies to the west and the foothills to the east, making this an athletic test piece with constant rewards. You definitely don’t want to be riding it on a hardtail.

My plan was to ride it from north to south (CW) starting from the Powderface Trail which is a gravel forestry road and likely the most convenient way to access the ridge via the Trail Creek Junction. I arrived at the starting point of my ride at 9am and immediately set off up the PF Trail.

There is no signage for the Creekside junction but you’ll know that you’ve arrived at the trail head by a visible pullout which allows for limited vehicle parking. From there, a small orange marker on one of the trees indicates the trail entrance.

View attachment 157187

The 1.3 km up the steep and rocky junction trail towards the ridge gets your heart pumping and is an early warning of what to expect further on. Nothing on this trail comes easy.

View attachment 157188
View attachment 157189
View attachment 157190

View attachment 157191
View attachment 157194

Last uphill stretch before arriving at the saddle on top of the Powder Ridge Trail.
View attachment 157192

View attachment 157193

Just prior to reaching the summit at 2250 meters, I met another rider on his Santa Cruz emtb who came up on my six as we both approached the top. We ended up walking our bikes up the last 100 meters as the steep and rocky terrain was impossible to ride over. He remarked how there was still snow present two weeks ago along the section just before the decent down the ridge trail.

View attachment 157195
View attachment 157196

View attachment 157197

The Ridge trail makes a sharp exit left and drops off the east side of the ridge and down a descent into the forest and as expected more of the same accompanying rock-strewn terrain.

View attachment 157198
View attachment 157199

Being accustomed to fallen tree encounters, there was no way that this one was going to halt my way to the east ridge.

View attachment 157200

Another climb brought me back up on to the open east ridge and down to a lush alpine meadow. I stopped here for a snack and also thought that it was a good spot to capture some aerial footage. The views were stunning but I could have taken advantage of a superior vantage point had I left the trail and hiked another 200 meters to the south summit cairn overlooking the Elbow Valley (Rt of center in the image). I could hear the echoes of hikers up at the flag cairn but I was firmly planted and enjoying the view from my lower perch. I was constantly on the lookout for wildflowers but it might have been too early in the season.

View attachment 157202
View attachment 157205
View attachment 157204

The view of the Elbow Valley as seen from the drone. The meandering Elbow River and emerald waters of Forget Me Not Pond are backed by an astonishingly picture-perfect panorama of the Rockies.

View attachment 157203

I started my descent down the Ridge Trail. By this time, I had already crossed paths with several hikers most of who were walking the trail from point to point. This couple were keenly interested in how my FS bike handled the rocky terrain.

View attachment 157206
View attachment 157207
Back in the forest, more of the same but steeper now. It was hard to set a consistent pace typical of the terrain on the trail. No picking lines here, you just go with the flow and try and let the bike do its job. :rolleyes:

View attachment 157208
View attachment 157209

I exit the trail down to the parking area. This completes my ride of the Powderface Ridge Loop and I can definitely say without a doubt that its reputation precedes it. I can’t imagine riding this as an out-and-back but those who have the legs to do so, would certainly deserve all of the accolades. I would even consider riding this trail during the winter on a fat bike when all of the rocks and roots would be covered in a foot or two of deep snow.

View attachment 157210

Before driving the 200+ km back to home base, I stopped by the nearby picturesque Elbow Falls to take in some refreshing views.

View attachment 157211
View attachment 157212
View attachment 157213

Looking back along Hwy 66, the beauty of the area alone makes it deserving of to visit. Just be sure to purchase a K-Country park pass before you head out on the road. 👍

View attachment 157214

This video is longer than usual but I think it depicts a true visual experience of what the Powder Ridge Trail is really like to ride. That being said, if it’s not your thing, feel free to skip over it. :)

Nice range of camera work there, scenery doesnt need mentioning, where do you keep your bear spray?
I would have one the size of a scuba tank on my back

View attachment 157186
View attachment 157185

View attachment 157187

View attachment 157188
View attachment 157189
View attachment 157190

View attachment 157191
View attachment 157194

View attachment 157192

View attachment 157193

View attachment 157195
View attachment 157196

View attachment 157197

View attachment 157198
View attachment 157199

View attachment 157200

View attachment 157202
View attachment 157205
View attachment 157204

View attachment 157203

View attachment 157206
View attachment 157207

View attachment 157208
View attachment 157209

View attachment 157210

View attachment 157211
View attachment 157212
View attachment 157213

View attachment 157214

That slab rock pile...
I'd have a go, but it could go very wrong quickly

I have it in a holster and attached to the front strap of my pack.

PXL_20230608_135231011.jpg

Was just out at Bragg Creek golfing on Thursday at Wintergreen. Just another round of golf where your bag contains clubs, balls, water and bear spray...

Nice ride!
Yep, it was a nice day to be out on the links and thankfully neither of us needed to reach for the spray. BTW, happy Canada D’eh! That call goes out to all fellow Canucks here as well. 🇨🇦👍

That was a jaw dropping bike ride! I rode 50 mile Endurance rides on rock-strewn nasty trails exactly like that, on a nimble, savvy part-Arabian horse, when I was competing. Never in a million years would I ever attempt to ride it on a bike, so hat's off to you for an awesome effort and some fabulous pics.

View attachment 157186
View attachment 157185

View attachment 157187

View attachment 157188
View attachment 157189
View attachment 157190

View attachment 157191
View attachment 157194

View attachment 157192

View attachment 157193

View attachment 157195
View attachment 157196

View attachment 157197

View attachment 157198
View attachment 157199

View attachment 157200

View attachment 157202
View attachment 157205
View attachment 157204

View attachment 157203

View attachment 157206
View attachment 157207

View attachment 157208
View attachment 157209

View attachment 157210

View attachment 157211
View attachment 157212
View attachment 157213

View attachment 157214

Well that was a very inspirational video and an amazing selection of photos to view. That trail was definitely above my pay grade but it was fun to watch you tackle it. And with the huffing and puffing we could hear who says you can't get in shape on an e-bike. Great examples of giving the right-away to the hikers and the same is necessary on the Little Elbow with the high equestrian users in that area. Did you have a feel for how much battery used on the uphill sections as I imagine the steep pitches would have been pushed to "Turbo"?

That was a jaw dropping bike ride! I rode 50 mile Endurance rides on rock-strewn nasty trails exactly like that, on a nimble, savvy part-Arabian horse, when I was competing. Never in a million years would I ever attempt to ride it on a bike, so hat's off to you for an awesome effort and some fabulous pics.
Some of the trails at West Bragg are used by a nearby equestrian center such as the Ford Creek Trail and might be typical of what you rode during competitions. Likewise, I would be afraid of falling off a steed onto the rocky ground below so kudos to you. 👍

Well that was a very inspirational video and an amazing selection of photos to view. That trail was definitely above my pay grade but it was fun to watch you tackle it. And with the huffing and puffing we could hear who says you can't get in shape on an e-bike. Great examples of giving the right-away to the hikers and the same is necessary on the Little Elbow with the high equestrian users in that area. Did you have a feel for how much battery used on the uphill sections as I imagine the steep pitches would have been pushed to "Turbo"?
Thanks Bill. Powderface definitely tested my limits particularly at the start near the climb up the steep section of Powderface Creek where some of the rocks were quite large. Mind you I was hauling a heavily gear laden pack around with me which likely didn’t help the cause. There were some mellower segments along the way but they seemed far and few between. I’m sure there were moments where hikers could have passed me on the way up. 😂

I’ve come across many others on the trail who have kindly yielded the way for me so I’m just as willing to pay forward some of that same etiquette. I also find that it’s just a nice way to meet people and perhaps strike up a bit of friendly conversation or share trail tips.

The trail looks like it’s been well used/eroded over the years but it remains a fine example of how an e-mtb can use its power to take advantage of the ever-changing terrain. I still use an older Garmin 520 on the trails and it doesn’t provide me with the overall e-power assist metric/battery usage during rides like the 530 does. I estimated that I was in trail mode 75-80% of the time and Eco for the remainder. Turbo mode on a trail like this would have only provided a benefit if starting out or climbing up a steep ascent but over a relatively smooth surface. When it comes to traversing rocky terrain, I can usually find the sweet spot in the lower power settings and gearing without the drawback of spinning the rear wheel. FWIW, I ended the ride with 71% of my battery remaining from a full charge. The Levo never flinched and was rock solid (pardon the pun) throughout the ride but I don’t have to tell you that. That being said, it’s still considered to be an all-purpose trail bike without the slack front end and massive F/R travel that most DH bikes possess.

Last edited:
Some of the trails at West Bragg are used by a nearby equestrian center such as the Ford Creek Trail and might be typical of what you rode during competitions. Likewise, I would be afraid of falling off a steed onto the rocky ground below so kudos to you.
One of the most treacherous trails included in one notorious east coast Endurance ride was on Indian Graves in the Fort Valley George Washington National Forest in Virginia/West Virginia. It was so difficult that you were better off dismounting, unsnapping one rein end so that you had a long lead from your horse's face to your free hand, and "tailing" your horse up the slope while it hopped from boulder top to boulder top. Let me tell you, it was HARD work following behind, but it was way too scary to be on top your horse while climbing those boulders

There was more than one endurance horse that looked at the boulder trail and outright refused to go forward, causing a traffic jam on that narrow trail where there was no space to turn around, and a sheer drop on one side.

This was me with my endurance horse climbing that trail the "safe way". I think the photo dates to about 2004? As long as you held on tight to the tail and kept up, your horse was free to use its balance and not worry about you being on top messing things up. This ride was in the fall, and that's a jacket tied around my waist. I think this trail hit at about the 35 mile point of the 50 mile ride. My horse only wore his bit for the first 20 miles until he calmed down and would take orders without mutiny. Then the bit was removed so he could eat and drink more easily along the way.

No way on heaven or earth would a bike ever make it up the trail without being carried.

20230120_094559_copy_774x802.jpg

One of the most treacherous trails included in one notorious east coast Endurance ride was on Indian Graves in the Fort Valley George Washington National Forest in Virginia/West Virginia. It was so difficult that you were better off dismounting, unsnapping one rein end so that you had a long lead from your horse's face to your free hand, and "tailing" your horse up the slope while it hopped from boulder top to boulder top. Let me tell you, it was HARD work following behind, but it was way too scary to be on top your horse while climbing those boulders

There was more than one endurance horse that looked at the boulder trail and outright refused to go forward, causing a traffic jam on that narrow trail where there was no space to turn around, and a sheer drop on one side.

This was me with my endurance horse climbing that trail the "safe way". I think the photo dates to about 2004? As long as you held on tight to the tail and kept up, your horse was free to use its balance and not worry about you being on top messing things up. This ride was in the fall, and that's a jacket tied around my waist. I think this trail hit at about the 35 mile point of the 50 mile ride. My horse only wore his bit for the first 20 miles until he calmed down and would take orders without mutiny. Then the bit was removed so he could eat and drink more easily along the way.

No way on heaven or earth would a bike ever make it up the trail without being carried.

View attachment 157251
Impressive!!

“walk mode” looks a little tenatative with that particular equipment!
No walk mode for this trail! It was more like "hop" "hop" (yank rider into a fast trot on the rocks to keep up) "hop" "slide" "pause" (to select the best way forward between the boulders) "hop some more" (while dragging your rider along as fast as their legs could keep up). He chose his route, I followed trying to keep my feet under me to keep up.

It is memorable even 20 years later. Never had a better horse for the job than this guy. He was a climbing, motoring, untiring machine. Opinionated as all hell, too. We made a good team for the 15 years we were together...when we weren't arguing with one another. He thought I was stupid; I thought he was a PITA.

My Gazelle ebike reminds me a lot of him with it's power and go, without the smarmy teenager attitude. Which is why I love my bike so much - it's just what I need in my old age.❤ That, and civilized roads.

No walk mode for this trail! It was more like "hop" "hop" (yank rider into a fast trot on the rocks to keep up) "hop" "slide" "pause" (to select the best way forward between the boulders) "hop some more" (while dragging your rider along as fast as their legs could keep up). He chose his route, I followed trying to keep my feet under me to keep up.

It is memorable even 20 years later. Never had a better horse for the job than this guy. He was a climbing, motoring, untiring machine. Opinionated as all hell, too. We made a good team for the 15 years we were together...when we weren't arguing with one another. He thought I was stupid; I thought he was a PITA.

My Gazelle ebike reminds me a lot of him with it's power and go, without the smarmy teenager attitude. Which is why I love my bike so much - it's just what I need in my old age.❤ That, and civilized roads.
A hop, hop power mode setting might have deemed to be more beneficial for me on the trail that day. BTW, I love your spunk. Just what the world needs more of. 👍

Back