2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

who knows its 40 degrees now. but getting to work may be fun tomorrow as there was more snow at my work. it was raining a bit then come out to snow.
Err….I was actually referring to what you woke up to last April. :rolleyes:

1677464600029.png

All Bridges of Warsaw (A Metric Century with Jacek M.)
I apologise for a big number of photos.

I've always had a dream to ride over all bridges of the capital city of Poland. Started from my place on the Roadrunner (Vado 6.0) at 9:03 a.m., and after uneventful 26.5 km ridden upwind at 0 C... (Good cycling clothes make you feel comfortable, and the powerful motor is the thing!)...

1677461695740.png

...I was intercepted by my brother Jacek at the Bridge #1, called the Northern, or Marie Curie Bridge. There was a funny situation after we crossed that Bridge. There is an access path onto the Vistula embankment but that path was overly muddy. Jacek took me to another place and showed an extremely steep but dry climb onto the embankment. 'Are you crazy?' -- I protested -- 'You ride an e-MTB but I wouldn't be able to climb that thing myself on the Vado!' Nevertheless... Turbo mode, the granny (42-46T) gear and... I made it! :) With some difficulty, I admit!

1677462093851.png

Not a real bridge, as the causeway is located along the Vistula but over so called Royal Canal. The Żerański Causeway.

1677462192359.png

#2: The General Grot Bridge. The skyline of Warsaw from a long distance (top). You can see the Żerań Power & Heat Plant at the right (bottom).

1677462308552.png

The Olympic Centre. "Together For Ukraine".

1677462454221.png

#3: The most beautiful of Warsaw bridges, the Gdański. The favourite site for the wedding photography! :)

1677462537527.png

#4: The Kierbedź, or Śląsko-Dąbrowski Bridge. See the skyline of the Warsaw Old Town in the bottom photo: The Royal Castle and The Cathedral. The arcades below the Castle is the place where President Biden had his latest famous "Ukraine Speech".

1677462695651.png

6, Bednarska St. At that address our Grandma Jadwiga was born in 1886. I assure you that place didn't look like that at her times. After the total destruction of Warsaw by the Nazi in 1944 that part (Mariensztat) was reconstructed according to new plans, nicely but not accurately reflecting the past. (I think that place looked far worse in 1886).

1677462948405.png

#5: The Świętokrzyski, or Holy Cross Bridge. We are fond of that -- relatively new -- river crossing. See the National Stadium at the right.

1677463035036.png

The Warsaw Mermaid (1937) and the City skyline as seen from the Holy Cross Bridge.

1677463092859.png

The National Stadium, and the "Relay Race", a statue of 1955. Warsawers dislike the looks of the Stadium but I recollect that the old stadium there was just a joke :)

1677463251407.png

#6: The Prince Joseph Poniatowski Bridge. The bridge itself is gorgeous but not when you are
on it :) The bridge is located as much centrally as there is no good view of the City from there!
We could see many pedestrian travellers (I think, Ukrainian) with their suitcases walking over the bridge. I felt sorry for them: They could take a tram instead!

1677463662058.png

#7: I just love the looks of the Łazienkowski (of the Royal Baths) Bridge. Constructed in 1974, it fell to fire in 1976 and 2015. The 2015 reconstruction resulted in creating a perfect bike path there!

1677463833980.png

One of the best views of the City skyline.

1677464096319.png

Yacht Club of Poland was established in 1924. The building as seen here is post-WWII. I was trying to become an amateur sailor in 1974 but I think I was afraid of water too much at that time :)

1677464207881.png

I spent 17 years of my life (1973-1990) at this place.

1677464314061.png

#8: City of Warsaw skyline as seen from the Siekierkowski Bridge. The green construction at the right is "Slim Wojtek", or one of the Warsaw's drinking water intakes.

1677464408328.png

The Zawadowski Embankment (left river-bank) is a popular cycling trail of Warsaw.

1677464472278.png

As the number of Warsaw bridges is odd, we had to cross the Siekierkowski twice to be able to do the loop ride!

1677464641706.png

Something's going on!

1677464701306.png

We visited our close friend Makenzen at home. She is an avid recumbent bike rider, long distance, high speed, big achievements! She treated us with big mugs of hot tea and gingerbread. We both needed some warm-up!

1677464829489.png

#9 and last: The Southern, or Ann the Jagiellon Bridge, the newest in Warsaw. Top: Vistula is high. The sandy islands got completely immersed in water! Bottom: The Siekierki Power & Heat Plant.

Now, we had to get to our homes. It was a long and fast ride. As we stopped at McDonald's before the Southern Bridge, I had to swap the Vado battery (61st km). When we were zooming towards the Kabacki Forest, Jacek asked me: 'What's going on with you? Is it that fresh battery?! You haven't ridden so fast before!' I looked at the display. Oh, darn. I had been riding in the 55% Sport mode since we left the McD... (It was 40% ECO before). I could have been left with an empty battery before reaching home hadn't Jacek asked me... :D

1677465251021.png

The reference map...

1677465327419.png

...and the Ride Map. 760 Wh of the batteries consumed at 41.5% average assistance.

Last edited:
I had to run to Home Depot twice ton right faucet was leaking all over time for a new one. about 35 degrees and some rain just put on a heavy hoody as its less then a mile. then back again for hoses as the new faucet dos not have them built in now 36 and rain.

Passing a '57 Chevy and a glider in one ride — doesn't get much better than that! I was 9 yo in 1957. That Chevy was my dream car for the next 6+ years.

Your rides are an inspiration to me. Every time I debate adding another 5 mi to my longest-yet ride, I think, "C'mon, @RabH wouldn't even notice a ride that short."
If I am still riding a bike at your age I will be more than happy, any miles covered are good miles and I know not everybody can cover big miles so just enjoy your time on your bike and enjoy every moment!

If I am still riding a bike at your age I will be more than happy, any miles covered are good miles and I know not everybody can cover big miles so just enjoy your time on your bike and enjoy every moment!
And if we aren't able to cover the big miles...at least we have your fabulous pics and your great writeups so we can live vicariously through your adventures. I never, ever tire of seeing your beautiful open countryside.♥️

Last edited:
And if we aren't able to cover the big miles...at least we have your fabulous pics and your great writeups so we can live vicariously through your adventures. I never, ever tire of seeing your beautiful open countryside.
Thats why I love posting them so thank you for your kind words, if only I could put them into words like yourself...your stories are just from a different world and always have me captivated!

View attachment 147841

A perfect day for cycling with light winds for a nice change, it was just above freezing when I set off at 8am but it didn't feel cold due to the lack of wind! I decided to head for Kirknewton today as I haven't been out that way for a while, I got a nice surprise when I arrived there :D It was mostly main roads today because it was a Sunday, it was nice to see dry roads after a couple days with no rain! This is the A71 which I used all the way from Newmains to Kirknewton, its a fun road to ride when there is little traffic!
View attachment 147855
View attachment 147856
I came across this beautiful 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air I believe? a year older then me and looking way better🤣 its a shame it was parked in such an awful place but hey ho...

View attachment 147858
It reminds me of the car my dad had when I was a toddler, a 1950's Vauxhall Cresta which had very similar lines but it was a boring grey colour;) I reached Kirknewton and I was passing the RAF base when I spotted a glider taking off, time for a break then:D
View attachment 147860
View attachment 147861
I was trying to follow them passing over the Pentland Hills and hoping they would land soon to get more photos, it was my lucky day!

View attachment 147862
View attachment 147863
The sign was telling where I was heading next, the A70 to Carnwath which is a very popular cyclists route and its not hard to see why as its like this all the way to Carnwath with big climbs and big descents!

View attachment 147864
Harperrig Reservoir!
View attachment 147865
2 lady cyclists enjoying the road also, they cheated though and used a car....I passed them shortly before this ;)

View attachment 147866
I was catching them up a few miles later but they turned off the A70 and missed some amazing views like this!

View attachment 147867
View attachment 147868
I passed through Carnwath and took the A721 towards Carluke, another amazing road on a quiet day! I stopped at a farm entrance here for a snack before the final climbs home.looking back at the Pentland Hills!

View attachment 147869
Looking south towards The Tinto Hills!

View attachment 147870
View attachment 147871
Around 18 miles to go now and as I arrived in Carluke I decided to take the quiet back roads as the main roads were starting to get busy now! I was pleasantly surprised to find the back roads mainly dry and I sure wasn't complaining, I never saw a single car until I was a couple of miles from home!:D I got home incident free and a little tired but delighted with a brilliant day on the bike!😁 350 miles covered in February from 6 rides, 17 miles short of January but I'm happy with that for a short month! Lets see what March brings, my bike will be 5 years old at the end of March which blows my mind as it seems like yesterday I went on my first ride! My first ride was actually to Kirknewton also on 1st April 2018, what a day that was!

View attachment 147878

There was some snow on the hills that day!

My bike looked a little different then and much lighter...

Beautiful Vehicle!!

1677505795965.png

I owned the exact same 1957 Chevy convertible except in turquoise. I sold it in excellent condition for $385 back in 1967. I saw a restored '57 convertible at a show last year with a $40,000 price tag!

Unfortunately, this is it only pic I have of it:
img007b.jpg

Beautiful Vehicle!!

View attachment 147966

I owned the exact same 1957 Chevy convertible except in turquoise. I sold it in excellent condition for $385 back in 1967. I saw a restored '57 convertible at a show last year with a $40,000 price tag!

Unfortunately, this is it only pic I have of it:
View attachment 147967
That aqua was the best color. Always fun to see all the dolled-up vintage cars of that pre-emission control era on the roads here in car-crazy SoCal. Nothing like the sound of those old V-8s, but the exhaust is downright toxic. Getting stuck behind one at a long traffic light will take 10 years off your life.

All Bridges of Warsaw (A Metric Century with Jacek M.)
I apologise for a big number of photos.

I've always had a dream to ride over all bridges of the capital city of Poland....

As the number of Warsaw bridges is odd, we had to cross the Siekierkowski twice to be able to do the loop ride!
Really enjoyed the write-up and photos. Learned a lot of interesting things about Warsaw. Please keep 'em coming!

Your bridge-crossing problem reminded me of a very famous math problem, The Seven Bridges of Königsberg. In proving that the problem had no solution, Euler laid the foundations for both graph theory and topology.

Last edited:
Your bridge-crossing problem reminded me of a very famous math problem, The Seven Bridges of Königsberg. In proving that the problem had no solution, Euler laid the foundations for both graph theory and topology.
That's very interesting, Jeremy! It looks the Nine Bridges of Warsaw Cycling Problem will be solved next year! The popular President of Warsaw, Mr. Trzaskowski has ordered constructing a new MUP bridge, and then a cyclist would have the even number of crossings :) Additionally, up to four small ferry crossings are available in the warm season, making a possible bike trip really extensive!

I will certainly make more trips over Warsaw during the warm season! Here are five pictures from a bateau trip on the Vistula of 2015, when the river level was alarmingly low.

1677523277590.png

Warsaw New Town.

1677523071686.png

The Warsaw Mermaid of 1937 as seen from the river (we have several statues of the Mermaid in Warsaw, hence the construction year here).

1677523209133.png

Warsaw Boulevards.

1677523362812.png

The spiral staircase of the Gdański Bridge (1959).

1677523478215.png

The Łazienkowski Bridge during its latest reconstruction (that added the excellent MUP to that bridge). The green structure is the "Fat Kattie" water intake.

This is but one of a gang of Alpacas that gave me the stink eye as I slowly rode by. I envied their obvious comfort thinking my Merino wool jersey was no match for their fashion choice. The flower beds I posted last week seem to be peaking despite the intermittent sleet I was riding through. And my pastures are awakening...soon I'll have to make a decision as to whether to order a dozen calves or give up my tax break.
IMG_1240.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    655 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    445.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1243.JPG
    IMG_1243.JPG
    290.2 KB · Views: 79
The reference map...

1677465327419.png

...and the Ride Map. 760 Wh of the batteries consumed at 41.5% average assistance
That's a really cool ride Stefan! I was curious what a ride like that in Seattle would be and it turns out we have 9 bridges over water too!

A quick RWGPS routing shows me I could do it without going over any bridge twice if I use the locks to get over the ship canal first. After that I would have 5 drawbridges, 1 swing bridge, 2 floating bridges, and 1 bridge with a troll under it. Total distance looks to be 105-110 km - surprisingly close your ride!

Yesterday turned into a pretty nice day after the overnight snow melted, so I took a quick spin around our hood for a 23 mile ride.

I did see a blue Rivian, but I don't think it's quite the same shade as @Readytoride 's will be :)
PXL_20230226_230523232.jpg

Ended up at Richmond Beach where you can get some nice views down at the beach. It was still pretty breezy, as you can tell from the mini white caps.
PXL_20230226_231118350.jpg
PXL_20230226_232644004.jpgPXL_20230226_232719985.jpg

or from the road and trails about 300 feet above.
PXL_20230226_231841461.jpgPXL_20230226_233825958.jpg

Yesterday turned into a pretty nice day after the overnight snow melted, so I took a quick spin around our hood for a 23 mile ride.

I did see a blue Rivian, but I don't think it's quite the same shade as @Readytoride 's will be :)
View attachment 148027

Ended up at Richmond Beach where you can get some nice views down at the beach. It was still pretty breezy, as you can tell from the mini white caps.
View attachment 148021
View attachment 148022View attachment 148023

or from the road and trails about 300 feet above.
View attachment 148024View attachment 148025
That next to last shot's definitely a keeper!

As usual, it's not an easy task following up on @RabH and @Stefan Mikes trip reports. My winter rides are no where near as scenic or interesting from a historical or geographical perspective. I continue to stare at a huge pile of snow in our backyard that’s accumulated after numerous sessions of shoveling and I’m afraid that it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. :(

Meanwhile, after several days of below average temps and even more snow, I was anxious to hit the trails once again. It also enabled me to field test a different camera and mount. Despite the fresh foot tracks in the snow, mine was the first bike to break the trail making progress a bit slower than anticipated. With that said, it was still a good day to ride.

IMG_20230227_1223512.jpg

VID_20230227_120902_00_009 - frame at 4m44s.jpg

IMG_20230227_1208302.jpg

IMG_20230227_1208096.jpg

As usual, it's not an easy task following up on @RabH and @Stefan Mikes trip reports. My winter rides are no where near as scenic or interesting from a historical or geographical perspective. I continue to stare at a huge pile of snow in our backyard that’s accumulated after numerous sessions of shoveling and I’m afraid that it’s not going anywhere anytime soon. :(

Meanwhile...
Clearly at one with your bike in such a serene place -- very zen, my friend.

Meanwhile, after several days of below average temps and even more snow, I was anxious to hit the trails once again. It also enabled me to field test a different camera and mount. Despite the fresh foot tracks in the snow, mine was the first bike to break the trail making progress a bit slower than anticipated. With that said, it was still a good day to ride.

View attachment 148057
View attachment 148058
View attachment 148056
View attachment 148055
Hard to follow you say? That video was just spectacular, fantastic camerawork as always! 😍

Hard to follow you say? That video was just spectacular, fantastic camerawork as always! 😍
Glad that you approve Rab. That means a lot to me. I accidently had the camera in 360 mode so a bit more work was involved in post editing. There’s still is some tweaking to do with the camera's settings but I think the final footage provides the viewer with a more enhanced behind-the-cockpit line of sight.

Last edited:
Back