2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Todays ride
IMG_2569.jpeg

DG…

I was finally able to knock off a couple of 40 km rides over the last 48 hours but prior to that was off the saddle for several days tasked instead with doing fall chores. I even had time to complete a swap over to winter tires on one of our vehicles which was earlier than usual.

Yesterday’s ride started off chilly but it was all about the wind. Not much one can do about it other than head down and drop a gear or two.

GH012647 - frame at 0m0s.jpg

Today’s solo outing had me taking advantage of the relatively mild fall weather which inspired me to stop along the way for a moment or two.

PXL_20231015_182820903.jpg

PXL_20231015_183100422.jpg

PXL_20231015_183642543.jpg

With that said, it was still chilly enough to don arm/leg warmers to keep the wind at bay.

GH012650 - frame at 0m45s.jpg

Nice to see that I wasn’t the only one on the road today. This guy was obviously more confident with his apparel than I was.

GH012650 - frame at 1m8s.jpg

Last edited:
Polish Parliamentary Election 2023 Ride

A cycling mate of mine Alfer (who is a politically aware person) had suggested a Sunday ride to take part in the poll outside our nominal electoral circuit. That would increase our voting power! I did necessary actions in the mCitizen app on Thursday and could vote in Żyrardów (Mazovia).

1697412319349.png

I took my powerful Vado and pedalled for 4.2 km to the nearest train station. Met Alfer and Ania on the train.

1697412395332.png

One of the polling stations in Żyrardów. Alfer and Ania had documents allowing any of them voting at any poll station in Poland. My mCitizen action allowed me to vote in this specific polling station. The atmosphere inside the station was friendly. We were voting to Sejm and Senate. There also was a referendum made by the ruling party and only consisting of biased questions. We denied taking the referendum cards and won: the referendum has turned out to be invalid as the majority of voters denied taking part in that referendum :)

1697412740438.png

Then we started the ride. Alfer had planned a 120 km trip. Here, at a 100-year old ruined Haunted Manor (as we called it).

1697412851352.png

Alfer's route led through an apple orchard in Biała Rawska. The apple is the gold of Mazovia!

1697413164991.png

I picked two different apple but left them in the pannier for enjoying them at home!

A note on the ride. As I am recently attracted to lightweight bikes and unassisted riding, I was wondering how my heavy and powerful Vado 6.0 could be justified! No worries. I rode it at 20/50% assistance (low!) and had to use 40/40% assistance to match Ania and Alfer. It is ridiculously low assistance compared to what I used in the past. My workouts bring fruit! I am a far stronger rider now! :)

1697413427814.png

So I found myself in Cafe Adriano in Biała Rawska for the fifth time :)

1697413492233.png

The photo of the day, with an untranslatable pun. A ballot box is called "a voting urn" in Polish. The Funeral Service Bytom made a meme with the text "All go to the urns!" (like in "cremation urns") :D

1697413908822.png

Delicious cake and coffee at Cafe Adriano.

At that moment, I had to make a hard decision. It was a very cold and windy day with the temperature of 7 C but perceived as 3 C. My excellent clothes were barely adequate! I had to say good-byes to my mates and go directly home "on the wheels". It was still over 60 km to go!

1697414104121.png

So I found myself in my own voting circuit again! Still 30 km to go! I admit I had a little crisis at that point.

1697414207104.png

Despite a pretty fast ride, I could make 100 km on a single Vado battery. Eventually, I rode for 108.4 + 4.2 km on Sunday, making it 70 miles!

1697414313969.png

A good ride! I'm so happy Vado 6.0 is still useful for me, especially with my well trained legs! It was a fast, pleasant ride involving some off-road or gravel. Interestingly, the Polish word "teren" (terrain) means solely "off-road"! :)

If you are interested, the opposition (Civic Coalition, the Third Way, and the New Left) seem to have won the election. The previously ruling party PiS cannot rule alone or even with the Confederates (a party similar to Donald Trump's supporters), the latter barely going above the threshold.

Last edited:

A cycling mate of mine Alfer (who is a politically aware person) had suggested a Sunday ride to take part in the poll outside our nominal electoral circuit. That would increase our voting power! I did necessary actions in the mCitizen app on Thursday and could vote in Żyrardów (Mazovia).

View attachment 164688
I took my powerful Vado and pedalled for 4.2 km to the nearest train station. Met Alfer and Ania on the train.

View attachment 164689
One of the polling stations in Żyrardów. Alfer and Ania had documents allowing any of them voting at any poll station in Poland. My mCitizen action allowed me to vote in this specific polling station. The atmosphere inside the station was friendly. We were voting to Sejm and Senate. There also was a referendum made by the ruling party and only consisting of biased questions. We denied taking the referendum cards and won: the referendum has turned out to be invalid as the majority of voters denied taking part in that referendum :)

View attachment 164690
Then we started the ride. Alfer had planned a 120 km trip. Here, at a 100-year old ruined Haunted Manor (as we called it).

View attachment 164691
Alfer's route led through an apple orchard in Biała Rawska. The apple is the gold of Mazovia!

View attachment 164692
I picked two different apple but left them in the pannier for enjoying them at home!

A note on the ride. As I am recently attracted to lightweight bikes and unassisted riding, I was wondering how my heavy and powerful Vado 6.0 could be justified! No worries. I rode it at 20/50% assistance (low!) and had to use 40/40% assistance to match Ania and Alfer. It is ridiculously low assistance compared to what I used in the past. My workouts bring fruit! I am a far stronger rider now! :)

View attachment 164695

View attachment 164696
The photo of the day, with an untranslatable pun. A ballot box is called "a voting urn" in Polish. The Funeral Service Bytom made a meme with the text "All go to the urns!" (like in "cremation urns" :D

View attachment 164697

At that moment, I had to make a hard decision. It was a very cold and windy day with the temperature of 7 C but perceived as 3 C. My excellent clothes were barely adequate! I had to say good-byes to my mates and go directly home "on the wheels". It was still over 60 km to go!

View attachment 164698
So I found myself in my own voting circuit again! Still 30 km to go! I admit I had a little crisis at that point.

View attachment 164699
Despite a pretty fast ride, I could make 100 km on a single Vado battery. Eventually, I rode for 108.4 + 4.2 km on Sunday, making it 70 miles!

View attachment 164700
A good ride! I'm so happy Vado 6.0 is still useful for me, especially with my well trained legs! It was a fast, pleasant ride involving some off-road or gravel. Interestingly, the Polish word "teren" (terrain) means solely "off-road"! :)

If you are interested, the opposition (Citizens' Coalition, the Third Way, and the Left) seem to have won the election. The previously ruling party PiS cannot rule alone or even with the Confederates (a party similar to Donald Trump's supporters), the latter barely going above the threshold.
Hope the change in direction in Poland sticks, and makes its way here next year, so we can move back toward having a functioning government, with a lot fewer loonies in the House🤞🤞🤞.

Hope the change in direction in Poland sticks, and makes its way here next year, so we can move back toward having a functioning government, with a lot fewer loonies in the House🤞🤞🤞.
The only candidate for the Senate I could vote for was one Waldemar Pawlak, presumably a farmer (he never was a farmer only a politician!), who once was the Prime Minister :) Mr Pawlak is two years older than I am, and he was a student at the Warsaw Technical University when I was a student myself. Only I was studying Process Engineering and he was learning Cars and Work Machines (tractors, excavators, bulldozers...)

He lived in the Akademik, a huge dormitory in Warsaw. One of my friends who also lived there was roaming the Akademik corridors very early in the morning. As he told me, he spotted "a very sad student" who was looking for a companion to drink vodka. My friend agreed and so he was drinking vodka with a future Prime Minister :D

1697419787772.png

My 1985 selfie inside the Akademik. I graduated from the WTU in 1988.

1697419870839.png

The City of Warsaw view from the Akademik, 1985.

There was a referendum back in 1985, too. The voters denied the participation and that was the first sign of the collapse of the Communist regime of Poland :)

Last edited:

View attachment 164688

View attachment 164689

View attachment 164690

View attachment 164691

View attachment 164692

View attachment 164695

View attachment 164696
The photo of the day, with an untranslatable pun. A ballot box is called "a voting urn" in Polish. The Funeral Service Bytom made a meme with the text "All go to the urns!" (like in "cremation urns" :D

View attachment 164697

View attachment 164698

View attachment 164699

View attachment 164700

If you are interested, the opposition (Citizens' Coalition, the Third Way, and the Left) seem to have won the election. The previously ruling party PiS cannot rule alone or even with the Confederates (a party similar to Donald Trump's supporters), the latter barely going above the threshold.
I am actually trying to follow your elections from over here. Poland is very important to all of Europe right now.

I am actually trying to follow your elections from over here. Poland is very important to all of Europe right now.
"Many voters from Warsaw, where KO usually wins, traveled to PiS-supporting towns outside the capital to cast votes. Broadcasters showed long queues still forming outside some voting stations even after the election had officially ended."

What’s the feeling in Poland towards membership of the EU?
Poles are pro European. The freedom of travelling, excellent roads and giant civilisation leap also in the countryside cannot be denied by anyone here except for some lunatics.
I do recall reading a while back that there was some talk of leaving the EU, similar to Brexit.

DG…
No official statement of that kind was ever announced by the ruling party even if its propaganda is nationalist and mentioning Germany and France as opposing Polish national identity. 110 billion Euro help is still blocked by the EU for anti democracy actions of PiS.

Poles are pro European. The freedom of travelling, excellent roads and giant civilisation leap also in the countryside cannot be denied by anyone here except for some lunatics.

No official statement of that kind was ever announced by the ruling party even if its propaganda is nationalist and mentioning Germany and France as opposing Polish national identity. 110 billion Euro help is still blocked by the EU for anti democracy actions of PiS.
Thanks for the update. I thought as much.

DG…

1697474733097.png

Monday seems to be puncture day...

Last month I cycled over the Forth bridge and couldn't see a thing for fog so with light winds forecast today it was the perfect day to do it again! It was a chilly day so I had 4 layers on this time, only 4C when I set off at 9.40am but it didn't feel too bad due to the lack of wind! I passed the Black Loch and I could hear people laughing and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw these 4 women in the frigid water, they were making quite a racket! 😂

1697476579237.png

After passing the loch its a big downhill and I noticed the farmers had been chopping the trees and there were clippings all over the road, then the inevitable happened again...a front wheel puncture this time! Second Monday puncture in a row, maybe I need to stop cycling on Mondays!😂 I removed the tyre and couldn't find anything inside it so I stuck a new tube in and set off again, on getting home I checked the tube and it had a tiny pin hole, obviously a thorn! I reached Shieldhill and shot down the big descent to Glenn Village at 44.2mph, it was so nice to have dry roads again! Its a short sharp climb at the village before plummeting down another big descent into Falkirk!

I then passed through Grangemouth and grabbed a photo of the Kelpies from the canal path!

1697477015711.png

I was now heading for Kincardine bridge where they are building a temporary bridge alongside the old bridge to start repairing it next year because it has been sinking! Its a proper building site right now!

1697477139171.png

Apparently they are building a cycle path next to the 2 lanes, the old bridge has paths either side but they are extremely narrow!

The Clackmannanshire bridge with the Ochill Hills as a stunning back drop! @BlackHand I only saw 5 of the 7 bridges today...;)

1697477292299.png

This is looking towards the oil refinery to the south but its hidden by the tree, they have a path built here also but I think its just for workers access!

1697477451537.png

I used the cycle path on the other side of the bridge which passes the old Longannet power station and then enjoyed passing through all the villages along the quiet coast road to Rosyth! I then stopped in Inverkeithing for lunch, 2 delicious Greggs piping hot sausage rolls were devoured!😋 Then it was time to climb up the big hill to go over the Forth Road Bridge, it was a little nicer than the last time!

1697477813535.png

The iconic rail bridge which I have never crossed...maybe I should put that right and jump on the train sometime!

1697477942776.png

1697478086497.png

I was descending the bridge at the far side and my summit software reported a climb of 0.4 miles at an average of 7.1%, I was going downhill...🤣 It was now time to join the main road but it was pretty quiet thankfully, one last photo of the bridges before I was too far away, the new bridge is always busy and its a good thing cyclists aren't allowed on it!

1697478203072.png

I was now on the road to Linlithgow but I left the main road and took the back road to Philipstoun which is full of ups and downs and in pretty good condition for the most part!

1697478438936.png

You need to be well off to live in Philipstoun I think!

1697478667384.png

The canal also runs through the village!

1697478741544.png

I then joined the road to Linlithgow and decided to climb the big hill up to the canal centre for a couple of photos before going back down into town!

1697478918910.png

I think people actually live in many of the boats, not sure I fancy that life myself but it must be nice to sail along the canal when the weather is like today!

1697479016169.png

1697479180483.png

I then passed through the town and used the back road to Standburn before turning off and enjoying the big descent down into Avonbridge, I just love this road and you very seldom see any traffic on it other than farm equipment!

1697479381440.png

Just before Avonbridge I turned off on to another favourite back road with the intention of taking the big climb up over Heights, just as I entered the road two lovely Clydesdale horses were staring at me..I think they thought I had some food for them! ;)

1697479663407.png

I started up the big climb and then the road flattens before the steepest part but just as I turned the corner there was a road closed sign (there were no road closure signs in Avonbridge:rolleyes:), its a very narrow road so I decided not to chance it and turned north instead where its another climb followed by some very fast descents! I was no longer annoyed about the closure! 😂This road takes you out on to the road where I got the puncture earlier in the day so I wasn't going that way, so I continued north on to the back road to Slamannan and as I was about to take the big climb, the sky had suddenly darkened!

1697480054953.png

Of course this was the direction for home, as I crested the hill and started the big descent it started to rain but luckily it wasn't heavy but I didn't like the look of the sky ahead of me! I arrived in Slamannan and the rain suddenly stopped and I could see it was heading to the north so I used the back road to Longriggend and managed to avoid all the rain! When I arrived in Longriggend the road to Upperton also had a road closed sign and I wanted to go that way to avoid road works in my home town!

So I had no choice but to take the road to Caldercruix and then on through Plains, thankfully there is a back road in Plains which would take me away from the road works and it worked out perfectly! When I was climbing my final hill my gps was showing 5275ft of elevation gain but once again Ridewithgps is only showing 4866ft...

I had such a great ride once again, despite the puncture! I'm only 75 miles away from 5000 miles for this year, considering the weather we have been having I'm more than happy with that! I'm way down on my number of rides compared to last year but I have been doing longer rides this year, my average is 69.36 which blows my mind! I have only bettered that in 2012 when my average was over 72 on a standard road bike, e bikes really are fantastic!:D

@Stefan Mikes That was quite an effort to manage 70 miles with a single battery Stefan, nice work!👍

Attachments

• elevation_profile203.jpg
    elevation_profile203.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 47
  • trip-137447227-map-full203.png
    trip-137447227-map-full203.png
    427.9 KB · Views: 61
It was a chilly day so I had 4 layers on this time, only 4C when I set off at 9.40am but it didn't feel too bad due to the lack of wind!
It becomes cold here, too; the wind doesn't spare us, either. You are talking about 4 layers. My current clothing set turned out inadequate on just a 4 mile shopping ride of today! It's the time to activate one of my Winter Armours... :)

@Stefan Mikes That was quite an effort to manage 70 miles with a single battery Stefan, nice work!👍
Nah, the single battery was good for 100 km. Were I using the 20/50% assistance all the way then the range might be 70 miles. However, I had to ride at 40/40% assistance with my companions as both of them are strong and fast! There was a funny incident (funny at least for me!) on our ride. There was a very steep flyover to negotiate on our trip. I went Turbo to realise Ania and Alfer were climbing faster than I could do it! Impossible! Why? At that time I thought those people had some supernatural powers :) To recollect far later I reduced the Turbo to 60% before the ride... :D Besides, Ania suffered a leg injury 40 km before the finish line and had to struggle; their return ride with Krzysztof must have been a torture!

I admire your trips Rab! Such long distances and climbs at such unfavourable weather! Scotland must be proud of you!

View attachment 164723

Monday seems to be puncture day...

Last month I cycled over the Forth bridge and couldn't see a thing for fog so with light winds forecast today it was the perfect day to do it again! It was a chilly day so I had 4 layers on this time, only 4C when I set off at 9.40am but it didn't feel too bad due to the lack of wind! I passed the Black Loch and I could hear people laughing and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw these 4 women in the frigid water, they were making quite a racket! 😂

View attachment 164724
After passing the loch its a big downhill and I noticed the farmers had been chopping the trees and there were clippings all over the road, then the inevitable happened again...a front wheel puncture this time! Second Monday puncture in a row, maybe I need to stop cycling on Mondays!😂 I removed the tyre and couldn't find anything inside it so I stuck a new tube in and set off again, on getting home I checked the tube and it had a tiny pin hole, obviously a thorn! I reached Shieldhill and shot down the big descent to Glenn Village at 44.2mph, it was so nice to have dry roads again! Its a short sharp climb at the village before plummeting down another big descent into Falkirk!

I then passed through Grangemouth and grabbed a photo of the Kelpies from the canal path!

View attachment 164725
I was now heading for Kincardine bridge where they are building a temporary bridge alongside the old bridge to start repairing it next year because it has been sinking! Its a proper building site right now!

View attachment 164728
Apparently they are building a cycle path next to the 2 lanes, the old bridge has paths either side but they are extremely narrow!

The Clackmannanshire bridge with the Ochill Hills as a stunning back drop! @BlackHand I only saw 5 of the 7 bridges today...;)

View attachment 164729
This is looking towards the oil refinery to the south but its hidden by the tree, they have a path built here also but I think its just for workers access!

View attachment 164730
I used the cycle path on the other side of the bridge which passes the old Longannet power station and then enjoyed passing through all the villages along the quiet coast road to Rosyth! I then stopped in Inverkeithing for lunch, 2 delicious Greggs piping hot sausage rolls were devoured!😋 Then it was time to climb up the big hill to go over the Forth Road Bridge, it was a little nicer than the last time!

View attachment 164731
The iconic rail bridge which I have never crossed...maybe I should put that right and jump on the train sometime!

View attachment 164732
View attachment 164733
I was descending the bridge at the far side and my summit software reported a climb of 0.4 miles at an average of 7.1%, I was going downhill...🤣 It was now time to join the main road but it was pretty quiet thankfully, one last photo of the bridges before I was too far away, the new bridge is always busy and its a good thing cyclists aren't allowed on it!

View attachment 164734
I was now on the road to Linlithgow but I left the main road and took the back road to Philipstoun which is full of ups and downs and in pretty good condition for the most part!

View attachment 164735
You need to be well off to live in Philipstoun I think!

View attachment 164736
The canal also runs through the village!

View attachment 164737
I then joined the road to Linlithgow and decided to climb the big hill up to the canal centre for a couple of photos before going back down into town!

View attachment 164738
I think people actually live in many of the boats, not sure I fancy that life myself but it must be nice to sail along the canal when the weather is like today!

View attachment 164739
View attachment 164740
I then passed through the town and used the back road to Standburn before turning off and enjoying the big descent down into Avonbridge, I just love this road and you very seldom see any traffic on it other than farm equipment!

View attachment 164741
Just before Avonbridge I turned off on to another favourite back road with the intention of taking the big climb up over Heights, just as I entered the road two lovely Clydesdale horses were staring at me..I think they thought I had some food for them! ;)

View attachment 164749
I started up the big climb and then the road flattens before the steepest part but just as I turned the corner there was a road closed sign (there were no road closure signs in Avonbridge:rolleyes:), its a very narrow road so I decided not to chance it and turned north instead where its another climb followed by some very fast descents! I was no longer annoyed about the closure! 😂This road takes you out on to the road where I got the puncture earlier in the day so I wasn't going that way, so I continued north on to the back road to Slamannan and as I was about to take the big climb, the sky had suddenly darkened!

View attachment 164751
Of course this was the direction for home, as I crested the hill and started the big descent it started to rain but luckily it wasn't heavy but I didn't like the look of the sky ahead of me! I arrived in Slamannan and the rain suddenly stopped and I could see it was heading to the north so I used the back road to Longriggend and managed to avoid all the rain! When I arrived in Longriggend the road to Upperton also had a road closed sign and I wanted to go that way to avoid road works in my home town!

So I had no choice but to take the road to Caldercruix and then on through Plains, thankfully there is a back road in Plains which would take me away from the road works and it worked out perfectly! When I was climbing my final hill my gps was showing 5275ft of elevation gain but once again Ridewithgps is only showing 4866ft...

I had such a great ride once again, despite the puncture! I'm only 75 miles away from 5000 miles for this year, considering the weather we have been having I'm more than happy with that! I'm way down on my number of rides compared to last year but I have been doing longer rides this year, my average is 69.36 which blows my mind! I have only bettered that in 2012 when my average was over 72 on a standard road bike, e bikes really are fantastic!:D

I ALMOST posted "Falkirk you say!" with an appropriate picture, but figured I'd spare everyone... 🤣

It becomes cold here, too; the wind doesn't spare us, either. You are talking about 4 layers. My current clothing set turned out inadequate on just a 4 mile shopping ride of today! It's the time to activate one of my Winter Armours... :)

Nah, the single battery was good for 100 km. Were I using the 20/50% assistance all the way then the range might be 70 miles. However, I had to ride at 40/40% assistance with my companions as both of them are strong and fast! There was a funny incident (funny at least for me!) on our ride. There was a very steep flyover to negotiate on our trip. I went Turbo to realise Ania and Alfer were climbing faster than I could do it! Impossible! Why? At that time I thought those people had some supernatural powers :) To recollect far later I reduced the Turbo to 60% before the ride... :D Besides, Ania suffered a leg injury 40 km before the finish line and had to struggle; their return ride with Krzysztof must have been a torture!

I admire your trips Rab! Such long distances and climbs at such unfavourable weather! Scotland must be proud of you!
100km is still good going! I only got 80km from my first battery today but I was being lazy and using level 2 assist... ;)

View attachment 164688

View attachment 164689

View attachment 164690

View attachment 164691

View attachment 164692

View attachment 164695

View attachment 164696
The photo of the day, with an untranslatable pun. A ballot box is called "a voting urn" in Polish. The Funeral Service Bytom made a meme with the text "All go to the urns!" (like in "cremation urns") :D

View attachment 164697

View attachment 164698

View attachment 164699

View attachment 164700

If you are interested, the opposition (Civic Coalition, the Third Way, and the New Left) seem to have won the election. The previously ruling party PiS cannot rule alone or even with the Confederates (a party similar to Donald Trump's supporters), the latter barely going above the threshold.
Yes, reported a lot in UK, I dont think most people here understand the outcome, kinda lost in bigger news though.

Back