2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
To rain, or not to rain …

Moreton Bay seen from Redcliffe Peninsula

Moreton Bay
Looking east from Redcliffe Peninsula
That wasn't the question because we – I was riding with my Wednesday group, but not this week* – already knew that the clouds had been blown in from the ocean and would simply vanish into 'thin air'. The skipper of the big catamaran must have known, too. The hazy 'horizon' is actually a long chain of massive sand islands that would have enjoyed a sprinkle as their reward for keeping Pacific-size waves where they belong (not here).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to tell you I woke up at 7:09 a.m. to discover a blackout. No electricity. Such things used to be so common here until several years ago I certainly must own a gasoline generator stored somewhere in my cellar; yet since blackouts stopped occurring, I even forgot the start-up procedure! :)

OK. I cooked some water for coffee on my gas-stove (thinking how wise my late wife had been to insist to stay on the gas range) and my thoughts were:
-- At least I keep two e-bikes and four full batteries here... :D

Luckily enough, the electricity got restored soon. How electricity addicted we are...

Quote "Our rides in words..." so here's the word: OUCH
Stay in the cockpit they say - well 95 Kg of me, and 23Kg of Giant pretty well all landed on one left shoulder...

No dislocations, separations or clavicle damage!. Why do I know - been there done that while playing many contact sports including Rugby.

Ice and analgesics are working, and hopefully be back in the saddle by Monday, but had to lay there for a minute to do a mental check of all limbs before I tried to get up.
Loose snow on top of ice, on a gentle downhill "mini-path" between a couple of single tracks - tom foolery at it's best. Rode home (5Km) mostly one handed on paved paths (which I normally avoid)

More to come on the ride itself, as I came across some interesting stuff before the day's adventure was cut short.
Well, not happy with progress on shoulder.
Off to the doctor on Monday, but going to go for a ride anyways today.

The weather is really nice (+10C) but today will be bike paths only, and will likely remain that way until I'm fully recovered.
I guess I'm not 30 anymore...

I will try to pick a route with something interesting to photograph, but I wouldn't hold your breath unless you look really good in blue. :)

Oh no, not more mangrove pictures …

View attachment 73030
Deception Bay
It's been far too hot to head inland, so no cow or camel photos from me.

For three days in a row I've headed for the coast. Now, this might be a sensible strategy but it comes at a price: motorway traffic! Solution? Go early! That's obvious but even at five in the morning there's plenty of traffic and, with the sun rising straight ahead it's a good idea to slip behind a high truck to avoid being blinded.

Forty-five minutes after leaving home, the car was parked, the Homage ready to go and me… well, I was not quite ready. There was the small matter of enjoying a flat white brought along from home in that new travel mug that had demanded that I buy it as a Black Friday special.

This ride is easily broken into six sections of approximately equal length. The first ten kilometres, with coffee dispensed with, I set off straight down the Schulz Canal to the sea. This is a canal dredged for flood abatement alongside the airport. It's pleasant, not industrial, and is a favourite haunt of those, both winged and bipedal, spending the early morning snatching crabs or fish.

The second ten-kilometre stretch is from Nudgee Beach (the very first photo in this thread), through the wetlands to the shrimp trawlers moored in Cabbage Treee Creek. The 'wetlands' in between were not living up to their billing despite the high tide; how could they do so without rain as well?

Boondall Wetlands when it's dry: video clip from my handlebar safety cam. Sorry, I have no idea how to edit, cut, splice and so on. Fortunately it's all over in less than an minute!

Coffee at Mario's and around Lovers Walk (below) and across the viaduct (30 km announcement from the chirpy lady in Ride with GPS). The wind coming in from the Pacific was backing from SE to NE, so I was sheltered from it as I went around the big horseshoe known as Bramble Bay.

View attachment 73031
Lovers Walk, Bramble Bay
40 km: Scarborough, a favourite spot with mangroves (see photo above).

50 km: Rothwell, a ride through largely undeveloped parkland between suburban houses and the mangroves.

60 km: Deception Bay, break for a morning snack before heading back the same way.

Video clip of Moreton Bay Cycleway at Deception Bay.
No one had beaten me to the deck chairs!
Actually, this clip is from three days before – Friday's almost identical ride! Or was it from Sunday?
Nice footage..super smooth, I only use the built in Win10 editor, its stupidly easy to use.

@Chargeride
Nice video but whoever's job it is to clean the sand off that one stretch of path needs to be canned!
Back in the 90s all the sand disappeared so they spent six months transferring it with giant trucks from the other end and now its come back naturally and completely swallowed the sea wall and gone from the other end, thats why you can see all the bricks.
Thats why I dont feel guilty riding on them..they just rebuild within days.

I took the bike out to see how it could really climb on a supersoft rear tyre, just loved pottering about at near walking speed and exploring every obscure track.
While climbing up through a bush...dont ask...the bike cut out and a round symbol was on the screen.
'Ive killed it' was my first thought, 2nd thought was 'I'm deep in the woods, ten miles from the house and every way is up.'

So I started pedalling, omg hard going.
Suddenly it burst into life, then died, then surged again.
Im talking to myself...come on baby, get me home.
10 miles..I know, but Im a wimp.

Eventually I rode it for 5 miles manually and threw it down to sulk, so Im messing with the wires and noticed the brake sensor had been knocked back from the magnet by the bush.
It just thought the brake was on, clicked it back in and goddam level 9 all the way.
Thats all it was, anyway lesson learned.

Last edited:
Well, not happy with progress on shoulder.
Off to the doctor on Monday, but going to go for a ride anyways today.

The weather is really nice (+10C) but today will be bike paths only, and will likely remain that way until I'm fully recovered.
I guess I'm not 30 anymore...

I will try to pick a route with something interesting to photograph, but I wouldn't hold your breath unless you look really good in blue. :)
I haven’t been following lately but wish you well with your shoulder! I blew my right shoulder years ago and DID NOT HELP MYSELF by being impatient and using it sooner than my dr. wanted me to. It still hurts these many years later and is one of the main reasons I insist on a front shock.

I had an MRI on my left shoulder yesterday. A brace I bought online works well enough to ride though taking a farm road last week was unwise

I posted about my friend who hurt his shoulder, he went back out still in pain and couldnt control the bike on a downhill and now hes cracked a rib!

I know Im going off topic again, but this Welsh video by the Athertons is just the most beautiful and utterly, batshxt bonkers thing I have ever seen.
Its only two hours from here as well.

I cannot say anything about the UK but Poland got its most severe Winter hit in 1978-1979, with the first dramatic snowfall and attack of frost on New Year's Eve 1978.

View attachment 72923

View attachment 72924
Yes Stefan, a bad year in the UK that year too (I can remember 3' long icicles on the houses with repeated thaw/freezing for days on end, and plenty of snowmen were built in the closed roads around our houses).

1_s.jpg

df4d06_c56e5f1680674464956206881ae2974e~mv2.webp

but lets face it, the UK grinds to a halt with 1cm of the white stuff.

I remember driving my 4 day old car in 10" of snow at Xmas 2009, we hit -17'C that winter - soooo glad of the winter car tyres that year !

Last edited:
I posted about my friend who hurt his shoulder, he went back out still in pain and couldnt control the bike on a downhill and now hes cracked a rib!

I know Im going off topic again, but this Welsh video by the Athertons is just the most beautiful and utterly, batshxt bonkers thing I have ever seen.
Its only two hours from here as well.

Does dude have a parachute on???

Coffee with Jazza (No Pictures)

I'm gaining weight. With short days and (luckily) having more work, I had to limit my rides to grocery shopping. Finally, I said "inuffa dat!", and asked my manager for a half day off. The day was sunny, with manageable frost but strong cold wind. The clothes I put on turned out to be adequate, especially my good winter gloves. I took my Trance E+ for the ride because I felt that e-bike had been used too little recently; and I wanted to take the benefit of riding on bike paths, and slower. (My experience I gained last Winter is nothing makes you cold more than fast riding).

The pretext was seeing my old friend Jazza in Warsaw (the shortest road distance between our places is around 20 km). I was properly insulated against the elements and the ride was pure pleasure even if I had to ride quite slowly against headwinds on the way out.

There was something on the trip that made me amused. A section of the bike-path along the Southern Beltway of Warsaw sports a 7.4% incline; it is steep enough that the majority of cyclists have to walk their bikes uphill. Needless to say, my e-MTB enabled me to ride over that section without even blinking :)

1607034519366.png

What would be normal in a hilly area is an exception in our flatland.

Another thing that makes me so happy riding e-bikes is independence on the wind (one simply needs to increase assistance levels as long as the battery charge allows it). I could see traditional cyclists standing on pedals to restart their rides. Doing what?! :)

It was good I agreed for the coffee with Jazza. Riding for one hour and twenty minutes net under winter conditions makes my toes suffer even if I wear heated socks. Unfortunately, the ones from Glovii are not very much reliable. Once I reached Jazza's, I could recharge the bike's battery (not that was really necessary) and warm up.

I inadvertently made my ride back quite interesting. I took local roads I haven't visited since the times of my traditional bike rides, and even plunged into roads I can't remember I've ever ridden before! For instance, there was a long dirt road near to Suchy Las (which I hated). It is a perfect new asphalt road now. Or, I wanted to take a shortcut through a small bridge over Zbiornik Komorowski (a small reservoir, which was frozen) to find out the bridge was closed because of the road reconstruction. It made me ride some roads unknown to me, partly with off-road forest ride (hah! I was riding an e-MTB!) I even got lost for a while...

The ride was completed by making some grocery shopping as I was out of bread. Jazza had suggested some cooking ideas for me, so I also bought some potato, olive oil etc :)

1607036219671.png

Adventures.

1607035902357.png

A good workout, finally!

Last edited:
The last two days I've been our riding with my bum shoulder, and for the most part it was fine. I purposefully stayed away from as much snow as I could, which is becoming much easier as today I think was an all-time record high for December 3rd. It hit 16.1C today, shattering the previous record high of 12.8C set in 1939. Yes, I was over dressed...

Yesterdays ride was mostly paved pathways which were for the most part bare and dry. There were some less travelled areas that had snow and ice and I either slowed down or rode on the edges of the mainly scrub grass.

Here's my route:
Capture_Strava_Dec2.JPG

In my last post I had indicated that there wouldn't be much for pictures, and I am keeping my promise. The first shot is looking over the top of the park towards downtown and the second is the cockpit and a bit of the ground conditions. I still had to contend with some snow and ice on some shaded areas but those pictures were both on my way home.

20201202_145938.jpg 20201202_150005.jpg

Note the mirror - that's post crash (last Friday) and still fully functional. I haven't had to do anything to it other than the usual realignment. For those that don't have a Mirrycle, I can only say that if you were looking for a mirror for your ride, I couldn't recommend the product more, it's a fantastic and durable device.

Today was a beautiful day and I chose to be a little more adventurous to start, but still trying to not stress the shoulder too much.
So other than the first 7 KM over Nose Hill, I rode paved paths and side streets.

This was my route today:

Capture_Strava_Dec3.JPG

Across Nose Hill, I rode on a lot of the major unpaved paths, but had to do some packed snow. The view to the west towards the Rockies was glorious! To be honest, although it can get cold here, we get skies like that pretty well all year round.

20201203_124442.jpg 20201203_132950.jpg 20201203_132958.jpg 20201203_124516.jpg

If you followed my route south from Nose Hill, it's pretty well all developed residential, although I rode down to the Bow River via the University of Calgary grounds as well as by a couple of the hospitals, one being our Children's Hospital.

Once I got down to the Bow River, I rode east on the MUP system for about 7 kms and it's the busiest I've seen it in a long time. It was not the most enjoyable part of the ride but I really had no destination in mind anyways so I slowed down and went with the flow.

Somewhere along the line I decided on my route home and wanted to climb one of the paths up to an area called Crescent Heights. AT one point I semi-muscled my front end around on a tight switch back and got a very sharp reminder as to why I wasn't riding my normal pats and ravines closer to home.

I stopped for some hydration at the top of the bluff and had a look at some of Calgary's more expensive real estate. One house was getting it's Christmas decorations put up, but not by them. Spot the Electrician's van off to the left. I really don't know the housing prices for that area, but the one getting decorated is likely in the $5M+ range.
You can pick up a 2 bed , 2 bath, 1300 sq foot detached home 7 blocks east of there, and 2 blocks away from the bluffs overlooking the bow River and downtown, for $2.3M

20201203_143018.jpg 20201203_143024.jpg 20201203_143041.jpg 20201203_143136.jpg

From there I rode home without taking any further photos, and without jolting my shoulder any further.
Our weather forecast for the next week is really nice, so I hope to ride everyday. It can get nasty here in a hurry, so these sunny warm days need to be used appropriately!
And that may include a patio with beverage(s) while social distancing with a fellow EBR'r... :D

There has been no snow in Virginia as yet this winter. Probably because the temps have been huddling close to the "average" of about 50°f (10°c) which, while allowing for any type of rain from gentle mists to drenching downpours, is a long way from the subfreezing temps necessary to produce the white stuff.

That doesn't mean it didn't feel like it could snow at any moment yesterday when I took my newly repaired LaFree out on the gravel roads, just a short 13 mile (21 k) spin around the block, for a private little reunion as a "welcome back home" after it had spent several weeks sitting in the bike shop waiting a new wiring harness. The original battery-to-motor wiring had been sliced through from 3,000 miles of rough gravel road riding aided by a poor design on Giant's part for having said wiring come through an unprotected raw hole cut in the rear metal fender. The new wiring was protected with a vigilant rubber grommet and a widened access hole in the fender, so the odds of the new suffering the same fate as the old was slim to null.

IMG_20201203_154601_6_copy_979x791.jpg

The overcast afternoon didn't have much to offer in the way of spectacular scenery, but the chilly wind and grouchy skies did promise some relaxing solitude as most intelligent people opted not to be out in the less than agreeable weather. It felt strange getting reacquainted with the slower LaFree after the faster Vado had been my sole ride for several weeks, but before long the bike and I had rediscovered our sync, and I could once again revelle in the sheer beauty of an utterly silent belt drive.

Thus we glided silently along the lonely rural roads, kept company only by the endless procession of centuries old stone walls, leafless trees, and cattle grazing far off in the fields under the watch of ancient mountains so old that their birth predated life on this planet. The sun struggled to cast enough light to even produce shadows, but the clouds would have none of it, crowding denser and denser in the sky, shutting off the brightness until everything below turned a uniform gray.
IMG_20201203_161525_7_copy_1299x515.jpg

My phone camera finally gave up trying for some color, and simply resigned itself to capturing the landscape in shades of ochre and sienna.

Only once did my lens turn the sullen gray skies into a deep pastel blue, quite by sheer luck beautifully highlighting the formidable symbol of death silently perched on the crumbling chimney stack of an old abandoned and rotting dwelling tucked into the nasty embrace of decades old prickers and weeds and vines and enveloping woodlands.
IMG_20201203_162905_3_copy_612x816.jpg

Our rural roads have ample graveyards of these decrepit structures that are devolving back to the earth. You usually never see anything until the late fall when the trees drop their green barriers to reveal the secrets of the inner woods. According to the county records this house was built in 1953. The occupants, after taking loving care of the property as evidenced by a 1957 aerial photo showing a beautifully curved driveway and groomed fields, eventually walked off, never to return, sometime between 1958 and 2002. That timeframe - a gap in the county's aerial archives - went from a photo of pristine property to one that had been handed back to raw nature. The 2002 overhead photo showed a house surrounded by a growing woodland. The driveway was gone, overrun with scrub, and the carefully maintained field has succumbed to an uncultivated crop of trees that had encroached upon the house already. Each subsequent yearly aerial photo showed a progressively denser woods, and an increasingly frail building. The neighboring house adjacent was also sharing a similar fate of neglect and abandonment. What was once a thriving little community of houses and small plot farmlands at this bend of a rural road had become a graveyard of rotting structures left like tombstones to degrade into the soil that was now, once again, deeded back to the wilderness.

I plan to explore the lineage and owners of this property once the county offices once allow visitors to explore the old records.

Throughout the ride I noticed much of the local residential autumn decorations of bright orange pumpkins perched on hay bales or estate entry columns still remained in place, not yet supplanted by Christmas weaths and greenery decorations. The need to dress up for the final holiday of the season seemed to be lagging, a victim of the lethargy of pandemic exhaustion. Only one place had sufficiently summoned the Christmas spirit by planting a newly painted hitch wagon at their front entryway.
IMG_20201203_164020_9_copy_816x612.jpg

I stopped to take a picture, then walked up close to examine the vehicle. I actually was a bit horrified at seeing any carriage, even a lowly hitch wagon, left out in the elements, such careless disregard a sure way to literally encourage wood rot in less than week. Upon close inspection, however, the vehicle had already been rotting in several places, the buckled and splitting wood camouflaged by a fresh coat of paint and ropes of greenery. From a distance the vehicle looked quite nice, and very seasonal, as a Christmas display. I could imagine how festive it would look covered in snow.

But that wouldn't be the case for quite some time yet. The advance of the clouds was ample warning that an approaching cold front was on our doorstep, but this one would arrive in drenching rain, not the fluffy white stuff.

I arrived back home to see my neighbor across the road busy hanging a set of beautiful Christmas wreaths on the stone columns flanking his driveway entrance. At least someone other than myself is in the holiday mood I thought to myself as I looked up at our farm sign, the post quite seasonally draped in ropes of fresh greenery complete with red bows on the farm sign itself. All that was left was a dusting of snow to make the sign, and the surrounding countryside, magical.

Once the rains have come and gone, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a bit of snow next.

Last edited:
The original battery-to-motor wiring had been sliced through from 3,000 miles of rough gravel road riding aided by a poor design on Giant's part for having said wiring come through an unprotected raw hole cut in the rear metal fender. The new wiring was protected with a vigilant rubber grommet and a widened access hole in the fender, so the odds of the new suffering the same fate as the old was slim to null.
R2R …
That's the only hiccup I've had with my Trek Powerfly (12,000 km since mid-2018) and just one of many* problems with the R&M Homage (22,000 km since early 2019). Ditto for my first ebike, a beautiful but hopelessly flawed Kalkhoff (4,000 km mid-2017–18). Join the club!
… David

* 'Many'? — Perhaps, 'endless' would be a better choice as the Homage is, yet again, in hospital this week undergoing major transplant surgery.

Were they attached the same way as Randall's (this page) or mine (previous page); that is, under the handlebar grip rather than 'above and beyond'?
That's right. I learned about Mirrycle from you and @Browneye in my early days in these Forums. @Thomas Jaszewski laughed at my early setup so I changed the mirror arrangement to yours and Randall's. Yet even with the "above and outside" scheme, Mirrycles could withstand my e-bikes falling; they simply fold on crash.
Once the rains have come and gone, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a bit of snow next.
Will you ride on the snow, Flora?

Morning ride through the city …

Brisbane River, Merthyr

7.10 am; 16 km
Brisbane River, Merthyr
The photo was taken on the north bank of the Brisbane River, looking upstream with Brisbane Central in the background.

From our left…
  • Shafston House, built between the 1850s and the early 1900s, and set on a one-hectare riverside plot.
    The historic mansion is for sale, but be warned: it's heritage-listed. If you need to ask the price, you're unable to afford it.
  • Southern Cross II, 33-metre a spectator superyacht built for the 1983 challenging team at the 25th America's Cup at Newport, Rhode Island. As the longest winning-streak in sporting history came to an end, the distraught members of the New York Yacht Club watched in stunned silence as 'their' Auld Mug was taken aboard the Southern Cross II by the victors.
    Also for sale (minus the Cup); withdraw at least US$3m from your bank account.
  • CityCats (one orange, the other blue): high-speed river ferries.
    The partly-obscured blue ferry is at one of the new ferry terminals. It is considered tactful not to enquire about the old terminals which weren't quite adequate to withstand the once-in-a-thousand-years flood that came along quite soon after their completion. (Someone let too much water out of the dam!)
  • New Farm Riverwalk which is part of the long walking and cycling trail along the northern bank of the Brisbane River. (The river is flowing towards us.)
This was a very short ride before joining my Wednesday morning cycling group for Christmas breakfast further upstream. I had arrived early, to secure a parking, and had an hour or so to mess around, riding and taking photos. Photo taken at 16 km, looking west.

Map : Pre-breakfast Ride

Back