2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
@David Berry Can you send your lovely blue skies my way please ;) The weather is dismal here at the moment, we had about 2 inches of snow which is now melting in the rain today so its that horrid slush we have now!

Yesterday!

1607087485451.jpeg

Today!

1607087523881.jpeg

Coffee with Jazza (No Pictures)

I'm gaining weight. With short days and (luckily) having more work, I had to limit my rides to grocery shopping. Finally, I said "inuffa dat!", and asked my manager for a half day off. The day was sunny, with manageable frost but strong cold wind. The clothes I put on turned out to be adequate, especially my good winter gloves. I took my Trance E+ for the ride because I felt that e-bike had been used too little recently; and I wanted to take the benefit of riding on bike paths, and slower. (My experience I gained last Winter is nothing makes you cold more than fast riding).

The pretext was seeing my old friend Jazza in Warsaw (the shortest road distance between our places is around 20 km). I was properly insulated against the elements and the ride was pure pleasure even if I had to ride quite slowly against headwinds on the way out.

There was something on the trip that made me amused. A section of the bike-path along the Southern Beltway of Warsaw sports a 7.4% incline; it is steep enough that the majority of cyclists have to walk their bikes uphill. Needless to say, my e-MTB enabled me to ride over that section without even blinking :)

View attachment 73323
What would be normal in a hilly area is an exception in our flatland.

Another thing that makes me so happy riding e-bikes is independence on the wind (one simply needs to increase assistance levels as long as the battery charge allows it). I could see traditional cyclists standing on pedals to restart their rides. Doing what?! :)

It was good I agreed for the coffee with Jazza. Riding for one hour and twenty minutes net under winter conditions makes my toes suffer even if I wear heated socks. Unfortunately, the ones from Glovii are not very much reliable. Once I reached Jazza's, I could recharge the bike's battery (not that was really necessary) and warm up.

I inadvertently made my ride back quite interesting. I took local roads I haven't visited since the times of my traditional bike rides, and even plunged into roads I can't remember I've ever ridden before! For instance, there was a long dirt road near to Suchy Las (which I hated). It is a perfect new asphalt road now. Or, I wanted to take a shortcut through a small bridge over Zbiornik Komorowski (a small reservoir, which was frozen) to find out the bridge was closed because of the road reconstruction. It made me ride some roads unknown to me, partly with off-road forest ride (hah! I was riding an e-MTB!) I even got lost for a while...

The ride was completed by making some grocery shopping as I was out of bread. Jazza had suggested some cooking ideas for me, so I also bought some potato, olive oil etc :)

View attachment 73328
Adventures.

View attachment 73327
A good workout, finally!
Simply the best days are they not, Ive been listening to the wifes friend who is the Sports head in the school, she came along on our rides and and kept ridiculing my ebike, now shes got one and it was a day of preaching of the converted, revisited trails and the breeze in her hair.
Its a phenomenon across Europe and the States.

40 degrees (f) this morning, heavy dark skies, not a whisper of wind, intermittent light mist. You live around here, you know that means it’s about to get real. Sure enough, we have a full on Nor’Easter coming tonight and tomorrow. We are right on the rain/snow line, so early next week could be some nice, chilly riding days... or six to eight inches of snow to clean up.

So, off quick to one of the nicer bike paths nearby since now in December people are NOT expecting or looking for bicyclists and you have to be crazy to ride on a road. I got in a short but pleasant, no drama 25 miles and whatever the weather brings, I’ve ridden in all 12 months of the year.

Hopefully we miss the snow and get some good frosty riding next week. I love the 35 or so degree days, it’s exhilarating!

Southwards

I didn't want to ride on Saturday. I felt badly at night, woke up early but having known it would be as warm as +9 C, I forced myself for a ride. The plan was 80 km (50 mi) and as I knew it would be blowing strongly, I set off upwind (as I typically do), that is, South-South-Eastwards. My Monster was the steed chosen for the ride. I wanted to completely discharge the 500 Wh battery (to charge it to 60% for storage later); and I took the 625 Wh battery for the spare. The clothing decision was difficult, too. It turned out the first 20 km to Tarczyn meant I didn't need the balaclava or gloves (but the hood to protect my neck was necessary). The wind was mighty but surprisingly warm. Everything changed past Tarczyn. I needed to pull the zipper on my "medium" jacket up (and the windbreaker was the must from the start); I had to wear balaclava and Autumn gloves. More clothes were waiting at ready in a pannier.

I reached Tarczyn very slowly and already very tired. It was only a quarter of the planned ride! Well. I increased assistance to Active, then to Sport (Level 4) in the hope I would get the wind in my back after the 40th kilometre.

Southwards (2 of 6).jpg

As some of you already know, the land around and southward of Tarczyn is one of the Poland's biggest Orchard Lands. It is mostly about the apple but other fruit, especially raspberry, plum or pear are also grown there. Here, an old and abandoned apple orchard. Nobody's even picked the fruit up...

Southwards (3 of 6).jpg

A rare ruined house in the Valley of River Jeziorka. The Apple Land area is pretty successful but I noticed surprisingly many "For Sale" signs in the Valley.

Southwards 4A.jpg

I could spot a lot of local flooding in the Jeziorka Valley. And that's probably why people prefer selling their land there.

Southwards 4B.jpg

Orchards, orchards, orchards...

Southwards (1 of 6).jpg

In the hope of losing my body mass, this portion of Tilsit Cheese was my only snack on the route. I also drank a single water bottle.

Southwards (5 of 6).jpg

Refuelling at the 38th kilometre. My GPS navigation and Route Planner app suggested continuing for many kilometres onward off-road. I said "Pass". It would be just insane to enter the forest at the dusk in winter-time, especially when being already very tired. My e-MTB (regardless of assistance level) is workout-intensive.

Southwards (6 of 6).jpg

I realised my planned 80 km was unrealistic. With the fresh battery, I took paved roads and was sailing downwind in Sport and Power modes (at night) to reach home possibly fast. I took this photo 2700 m from home on my last stop, by my health centre in Owczarnia. The lighting here is the mid-beam of my CatEye Volt 1700 headlamp.

Ride Map.jpg

Upon reaching home I was so tired I just removed my clothes, took a warm shower, ate a tomato to re-hydrate, and then had to take a couple of hours' nap...

Ride Metrics.jpg

The ride with my Vado would be certainly easier on that day.

Last edited:
Overnight the rains came, then the winds came, and then the temps dropped to almost freezing. The creeks flooded, and Saturn and Jupiter are in a conjunction right now for an earthly viewing that only occurs once every 800 years. Meanwhile, the pandemic is getting worse, and we're due for snow on Monday. And there are still 3 weeks left in 2020.

Yeah, a bike ride was certainly called for today. No question.

But...where to go?

The answer came as @jabberwocky texted me a picture a friend of his had taken this morning of a local creek overflowing a low-water bridge. This was the same bridge we (J, Mrs J, and I) had ridden over just last week, and where Mrs J and I had taken pics of one another on the bridge before having a lark inspecting the concrete culverts under the roughly paved bridge. The culverts were already 3/4 blocked by debris, so even a small amount of rain was guaranteed to cause flooding.

We had a full inch last night. So, yeah - the creek flooded. Big time.

Thought a side-by-side comparison photo was in order to show the level of flooding (easily 4'-5' higher than normal) at this low water bridge. Flood photo courtesy of @jabberwocky 's friend, next to Mrs. J with her ebike from last weekend. (Also please note the photos are taken from opposing ends of the bridge)
LowWaterBridge-Flooded-12-2020_copy_780x570.jpg

Anyway, I got a bee in my bonnet to head down to the local ford (the only one left in this county) that we had also traversed last weekend (its the same creek, btw), to see what it looked like at flood level. It was a short hilly 4 miles in a chilly wind, which gave me a chance to try a new custom made fitted mask to see how well it worked towards keep my lower face warm, and also a new pair of Head thermal winter riding gloves.

The gloves got an A+. They kept my fingers warm without excess material bulking up my feel of the grips and hand brakes. The custom fitted mask, while excellent for non-bike use and super warm, just didn't cut the mustard with my sunglasses. The fogging lenses were so bad that no matter what I did I just couldn't stop the condensation. I finally gave up and stashed the sunglasses away. Frankly, I was going at an easy pace and there wasn't a chance in this green earth I'd get a bug in my eye today. The wind in my face was a pain, but I just ducked my head to avoid the worst and thanked the cycling gods that my route was almost all protected from the winds by trees.

This was the sight that greeted me at the ford:
Beaverdam Creek panoramic 12-2020_copy_1302x296.jpg

See that tiny ebike in the rightmost frame at the edge of the creek? Consider it my "banana for scale". Note the warning signs are at the edge of the flooding water.

Here is the creek from last weekend when we crossed it:
IMG_20201021_141835_0_copy_800x600_copy_578x587.jpg

At flood stage there isn't anything that can cross this creek except a horse. And even then it would be tricky to try. I did notice some hoofprints on the soft gravel that looked like they were heading to the creek, but as I bent to examine them I noticed two prints were dug in and twisted, right next to more prints heading away the creek. I smiled. Someone had ridden down to the creek to either see it, or cross it. The horse (and or rider) decided seeing was enough, pivoted, and headed back home still on dry land. Smart.

Halfway home I decided to prolong my ride and go a slightly longer route, one aptly protected from the cold wind by thick groupings of trees. Every bend in the road was heavy with puddles, every ditch alongside had water flowing swiftly, filled to the brim. It was a peaceful 10 mile ride with few people on the roads.

The last mile home threw me right into the path of the wind which smacked me facefirst without mercy. I was barely going 13mph, yet felt like I was peddling through molasses. Although the ride was short, it was enough.

Tomorrow it will be colder, and Monday we are due for snow.

Southwards

I didn't want to ride on Saturday. I felt badly at night, woke up early but having known it would be as warm as +9 C, I forced myself for a ride. The plan was 80 km (50 mi) and as I knew it would be blowing strongly, I set off upwind (as I typically do), that is, South-South-Eastwards. My Monster was the steed chosen for the ride. I wanted to completely discharge the 500 Wh battery (to charge it to 60% for storage later); and I took the 625 Wh battery for the spare. The clothing decision was difficult, too. It turned out the first 20 km to Tarczyn meant I didn't need the balaclava or gloves (but the hood to protect my neck was necessary). The wind was mighty but surprisingly warm. Everything changed past Tarczyn. I needed to pull the zipper on my "medium" jacket up (and the windbreaker was the must from the start); I had to wear balaclava and Autumn gloves. More clothes were waiting at ready in a pannier.

I reached Tarczyn very slowly and already very tired. It was only a quarter of the planned ride! Well. I increased assistance to Active, then to Sport (Level 4) in the hope I would get the wind in my back after the 40th kilometre.

View attachment 73540
As some of you already know, the land around and southward of Tarczyn is one of the Poland's biggest Orchard Lands. It is mostly about the apple but other fruit, especially raspberry, plum or pear are also grown there. Here, an old and abandoned apple orchard. Nobody's even picked the fruit up...

View attachment 73541
A rare ruined house in the Valley of River Jeziorka. The Apple Land area is pretty successful but I noticed surprisingly many "For Sale" signs in the Valley.

View attachment 73544
I could spot a lot of local flooding in the Jeziorka Valley. And that's probably why people prefer selling their land there.

View attachment 73545
Orchards, orchards, orchards...

View attachment 73539
In the hope of losing my body mass, this portion of Tilsit Cheese was my only snack on the route. I also drank a single water bottle.

View attachment 73542
Refuelling at the 38th kilometre. My GPS navigation and Route Planner app suggested continuing for many kilometres onward off-road. I said "Pass". It would be just insane to enter the forest at the dusk in winter-time, especially when being already very tired. My e-MTB (regardless of assistance level) is workout-intensive.

View attachment 73543
I realised my planned 80 km was unrealistic. With the fresh battery, I took paved roads and was sailing downwind in Sport and Power modes (at night) to reach home possibly fast. I took this photo 2700 m from home on my last stop, by my health centre in Owczarnia. The lighting here is the mid-beam of my CatEye Volt 1700 headlamp.

View attachment 73537
Upon reaching home I was so tired I just removed my clothes, took a warm shower, ate a tomato to re-hydrate, and then had to take a couple of hours' nap...

View attachment 73538
The ride with my Vado would be certainly easier on that day.
Are the vertical poles in the orchard picture for hops for beer? They are grown with similar supports here in the western States.

Overnight the rains came, then the winds came, and then the temps dropped to almost freezing. The creeks flooded, and Saturn and Jupiter are in a conjunction right now for an earthly viewing that only occurs once every 800 years. Meanwhile, the pandemic is getting worse, and we're due for snow on Monday. And there are still 3 weeks left in 2020.

Yeah, a bike ride was certainly called for today. No question.

But...where to go?

The answer came as @jabberwocky texted me a picture a friend of his had taken this morning of a local creek overflowing a low-water bridge. This was the same bridge we (J, Mrs J, and I) had ridden over just last week, and where Mrs J and I had taken pics of one another on the bridge before having a lark inspecting the concrete culverts under the roughly paved bridge. The culverts were already 3/4 blocked by debris, so even a small amount of rain was guaranteed to cause flooding.

We had a full inch last night. So, yeah - the creek flooded. Big time.

Thought a side-by-side comparison photo was in order to show the level of flooding (easily 4'-5' higher than normal) at this low water bridge. Flood photo courtesy of @jabberwocky 's friend, next to Mrs. J with her ebike from last weekend. (Also please note the photos are taken from opposing ends of the bridge)
View attachment 73536

Anyway, I got a bee in my bonnet to head down to the local ford (the only one left in this county) that we had also traversed last weekend (its the same creek, btw), to see what it looked like at flood level. It was a short hilly 4 miles in a chilly wind, which gave me a chance to try a new custom made fitted mask to see how well it worked towards keep my lower face warm, and also a new pair of Head thermal winter riding gloves.

The gloves got an A+. They kept my fingers warm without excess material bulking up my feel of the grips and hand brakes. The custom fitted mask, while excellent for non-bike use and super warm, just didn't cut the mustard with my sunglasses. The fogging lenses were so bad that no matter what I did I just couldn't stop the condensation. I finally gave up and stashed the sunglasses away. Frankly, I was going at an easy pace and there wasn't a chance in this green earth I'd get a bug in my eye today. The wind in my face was a pain, but I just ducked my head to avoid the worst and thanked the cycling gods that my route was almost all protected from the winds by trees.

This was the sight that greeted me at the ford:
View attachment 73548
See that tiny ebike in the rightmost frame at the edge of the creek? Consider it my "banana for scale". Note the warning signs are at the edge of the flooding water.

Here is the creek from last weekend when we crossed it:
View attachment 73549
At flood stage there isn't anything that can cross this creek except a horse. And even then it would be tricky to try. I did notice some hoofprints on the soft gravel that looked like they were heading to the creek, but as I bent to examine them I noticed two prints were dug in and twisted, right next to more prints heading away the creek. I smiled. Someone had ridden down to the creek to either see it, or cross it. The horse (and or rider) decided seeing was enough, pivoted, and headed back home still on dry land. Smart.

Halfway home I decided to prolong my ride and go a slightly longer route, one aptly protected from the cold wind by thick groupings of trees. Every bend in the road was heavy with puddles, every ditch alongside had water flowing swiftly, filled to the brim. It was a peaceful 10 mile ride with few people on the roads.

The last mile home threw me right into the path of the wind which smacked me facefirst without mercy. I was barely going 13mph, yet felt like I was peddling through molasses. Although the ride was short, it was enough.

Tomorrow it will be colder, and Monday we are due for snow.
I have the same issue with face coverings, they fog my sun glasses. I don't really have the option of simply taking the glases off as they're Rx bifocals; hard to see without them!

R2R, have you considered wearing goggles?
Stefan, your goggles keep your glasses from fogging? Brilliant!

Well, not happy with progress on shoulder.
Off to the doctor on Monday, but going to go for a ride anyways today.

The weather is really nice (+10C) but today will be bike paths only, and will likely remain that way until I'm fully recovered.
I guess I'm not 30 anymore...

I will try to pick a route with something interesting to photograph, but I wouldn't hold your breath unless you look really good in blue.
The last two days I've been our riding with my bum shoulder, and for the most part it was fine. I purposefully stayed away from as much snow as I could, which is becoming much easier as today I think was an all-time record high for December 3rd. It hit 16.1C today, shattering the previous record high of 12.8C set in 1939. Yes, I was over dressed...

Yesterdays ride was mostly paved pathways which were for the most part bare and dry. There were some less travelled areas that had snow and ice and I either slowed down or rode on the edges of the mainly scrub grass.

Here's my route:
View attachment 73368

In my last post I had indicated that there wouldn't be much for pictures, and I am keeping my promise. The first shot is looking over the top of the park towards downtown and the second is the cockpit and a bit of the ground conditions. I still had to contend with some snow and ice on some shaded areas but those pictures were both on my way home.

View attachment 73369 View attachment 73370

Note the mirror - that's post crash (last Friday) and still fully functional. I haven't had to do anything to it other than the usual realignment. For those that don't have a Mirrycle, I can only say that if you were looking for a mirror for your ride, I couldn't recommend the product more, it's a fantastic and durable device.

Today was a beautiful day and I chose to be a little more adventurous to start, but still trying to not stress the shoulder too much.
So other than the first 7 KM over Nose Hill, I rode paved paths and side streets.

This was my route today:

View attachment 73371

Across Nose Hill, I rode on a lot of the major unpaved paths, but had to do some packed snow. The view to the west towards the Rockies was glorious! To be honest, although it can get cold here, we get skies like that pretty well all year round.

View attachment 73372 View attachment 73374 View attachment 73375 View attachment 73373

If you followed my route south from Nose Hill, it's pretty well all developed residential, although I rode down to the Bow River via the University of Calgary grounds as well as by a couple of the hospitals, one being our Children's Hospital.

Once I got down to the Bow River, I rode east on the MUP system for about 7 kms and it's the busiest I've seen it in a long time. It was not the most enjoyable part of the ride but I really had no destination in mind anyways so I slowed down and went with the flow.

Somewhere along the line I decided on my route home and wanted to climb one of the paths up to an area called Crescent Heights. AT one point I semi-muscled my front end around on a tight switch back and got a very sharp reminder as to why I wasn't riding my normal pats and ravines closer to home.

I stopped for some hydration at the top of the bluff and had a look at some of Calgary's more expensive real estate. One house was getting it's Christmas decorations put up, but not by them. Spot the Electrician's van off to the left. I really don't know the housing prices for that area, but the one getting decorated is likely in the $5M+ range.
You can pick up a 2 bed , 2 bath, 1300 sq foot detached home 7 blocks east of there, and 2 blocks away from the bluffs overlooking the bow River and downtown, for $2.3M

View attachment 73376 View attachment 73377 View attachment 73378 View attachment 73379

From there I rode home without taking any further photos, and without jolting my shoulder any further.
Our weather forecast for the next week is really nice, so I hope to ride everyday. It can get nasty here in a hurry, so these sunny warm days need to be used appropriately!
And that may include a patio with beverage(s) while social distancing with a fellow EBR'r... :D
I discovered EBR and ebike videos while healing from major shoulder surgery (tore the bicep in half ends barely holding together by a thread of tissue and severed my supraspinatus muscle across the top. It was so easy and quick to destroy that shoulder. I bought ‘Blue’ (Liv Valle e+) and started riding before my surgeon said ‘yes’ to the idea. I can still remember the thrill of my first ride. Best therapy ever! My advice...get an MRI, if it looks bad get the surgery, if a little time will heal, your pals here on the forum will be celebrating with you 😁! 🚴‍♀️

Last edited:
I discovered EBR and ebike videos while healing from major shoulder surgery (tore the bicep in half ends barely holding together by a thread of tissue and severed my supraspinatus muscle across the top. It was so easy and quick to destroy that shoulder. I bought ‘Blue’ (Liv Valle e+) and started riding before my surgeon said ‘yes’ to the idea. I can still remember the thrill of my first ride. Best therapy ever! My advice...get an MRI, if it looks bad get the surgery, if a little time will heal, your pals here on the forum will celebrating with you 😁! 🚴‍♀️
Based on personal experience I would agree with the MRI. It shower me the way forward away from unrelenting shoulder pain.

I have a failed ACL repair in my right shoulder. For now 'injections' and physical therapy are keeping it together but a 'reverse shoulder replacement' is in my future.

To your health. Ride On!

Morning dip …

Bramble Bay, Redcliffe Peninsula

Bramble Bay
8.10 am; 33 km
One rider, two horses (not double-vision or faulty camera). From the left…
  • Brisbane Central – a few tall buildings (minuscule from this distance) visible through the haze
  • Sandgate & Brighton waterfront – 70 km on map
    The photo Dressed for December on the next page was taken on the extreme left of this photo.
  • Ted Smout Bridge – Hays Inlet crossing between Brisbane (far side) & Redcliffe Peninsula – 30/65 km on map
  • Clontarf Beach (Redcliffe Peninsula) – 33 km on map
Bramble Bay

Last edited by a moderator:
To the suggestions of additional diagnostics. Living in Canada, with health insurance, it's a no brainer.

Rode 50+ yesterday (will document later) and have a 90Km round trip tomorrow to tune a friends Wi-Fi setup in south Calgary.
Just have to move a few devices around and do some tests to show her that there's NOTHING wrong with her internet connection and to stop bitching about her ISP.
She, like most people, don't understand how wireless stuff works and her setup is poor. Thankfully her gear is very familiar to me and her issues will be easy to fix.

As to e-bikes as therapy:
I've posted before how the cycling is helping my legs. Knee replacement is still in the works but I've put that off indefinitely. My regular pain management injection, which is normally every 3 months (and I'd be ready after 2) has now been 6 months plus a day, and I don't know when I'll next get one. My body will tell me in no uncertain terms when it's required, but if anything I feel better now than I did in early July after the last shot on June 4th. Bought the new bike towards the end of July - some pretty good correlation there!

Morning dip …

View attachment 73562
Bramble Bay
8.10 am; 33 km
One rider, two horses (not double-vision or faulty camera). From the left…
  • Brisbane Central – a few tall buildings (minuscule from this distance) visible through the haze
  • Sandgate & Brighton waterfront – 70 km on map
  • Ted Smout Bridge – Hays Inlet crossing between Brisbane (far side) & Redcliffe Peninsula – 30/65 km on map
  • Clontarf Beach (Redcliffe Peninsula) – 33 km on map
View attachment 73563
How good is that pic!

Quick answer regarding goggles:
I found any Accuri OTG (Over The Glasses) clear goggles from the company 100% just perfect (I own two pairs):

You pull a balaclava on, then wear your optical glasses. Just before the ride, you cover your glasses with goggles. Goggles should be supported on the nose in the front of the balaclava (or face-mask). Even if there might be some initial fogging, that will immediately disappear when you start riding.

A small trick: When your glasses are supported on your nose in front of balaclava (or mask) -- that is outwards -- fogging is less probable. A friend taught me this trick.

Not sure about the 100percent availability in North America. I found this:
and that's exactly the model I wear.

I combine goggles with a snowboarding helmet (because it is strong, warm, fits goggles, and it lets you hear the ambient sounds).
I'm looking for a pair of goggles...can you suggest a pair ,also do you feel polarized lenses are important?
Polarised are a "no-no". The point is, any polarised glasses can prevent you from seeing spilt oil, for instance.

1607240884631.png

Balaclava (or face-mask) first, glasses next, goggles last. No fogging. Small holes in the goggles assure minimal air flow that removes the fog.

Are the vertical poles in the orchard picture for hops for beer?
No, no. Hops are grown in the Lublin Land, same as tobacco. The soil is extremely fertile there, and the climate is better. The vertical poles in orchard are to prevent the young trees against bending (Poland has rather hard climate: think of winds and snow).

Last edited:
Three hours later & a little windier …

Nudgee Beach, Brisbane
Nudgee Beach
11.15 am; 92 km
What a difference a few hours makes, especially when one's exposed to the might of the Pacific.

CLICK : The same scene with the tide out!

My outward ride was into a very gentle headwind which politely picked up to assist on the return. Now, this is exactly when I keep track of the Bosch's predicted range. Anything further than 100 km is not that easy on a single battery (500 Wh; 36 V).

Note how the horse whisperer took her mounts to a sheltered spot. For me it was quite different three hours later at Nudgee Beach but I didn't mind: that wind would make the final dozen kilometres a 'breeze'.

And there really were two (sea)horses…

Clontarf Beach, Redcliffe

Last edited by a moderator:
Back