2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Back to the scene of my very first e bike ride on April 1st 2018, I set off expecting to do a familiarisation ride that day and ended up doing almost 67 miles! It was just too much fun I couldn't stop! :D I cycled this route one winter and there were 5ft snowbanks on each side of the road, thankfully the road was fine though!;)

No snowbanks today, it was a lovely 16C and no sign of any rain which is always a bonus here! Light winds today made for a very enjoyable ride indeed, I haven't stopped smiling yet and I returned home 3 hours ago!😁 This may well be my last ride until next weekend if I get the call to return to work as expected! Yet more highland cows today @Art Deco , even a black one which you don't see very often!

Lots of cyclists out today which was nice to see, the good weather certainly encourages them! I knew I would pass 4,400 miles today but was surprised to see my total hit 4,444 miles exactly!:D I only need another 905 miles to beat my best year ever which was 2012!

1599404723197.jpeg

1599404797883.png

Attachments

• 20200906_100604.jpg
    20200906_100604.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 300
  • 20200906_101954.jpg
    20200906_101954.jpg
    778.3 KB · Views: 316
  • 20200906_102033.jpg
    20200906_102033.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 309
  • 20200906_102349.jpg
    20200906_102349.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 20200906_102403.jpg
    20200906_102403.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 20200906_102422.jpg
    20200906_102422.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 308
  • 20200906_102428.jpg
    20200906_102428.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 303
  • 20200906_102522.jpg
    20200906_102522.jpg
    677.4 KB · Views: 316
  • 20200906_103438.jpg
    20200906_103438.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 20200906_103517.jpg
    20200906_103517.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 315
  • 20200906_103940.jpg
    20200906_103940.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 307
  • 20200906_103951.jpg
    20200906_103951.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 20200906_104154.jpg
    20200906_104154.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 317
  • 20200906_104203.jpg
    20200906_104203.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 20200906_111322.jpg
    20200906_111322.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 310
  • 20200906_111358.jpg
    20200906_111358.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 320
  • 20200906_111412.jpg
    20200906_111412.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 294
  • 20200906_112902.jpg
    20200906_112902.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 300
  • 20200906_113006.jpg
    20200906_113006.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 310
  • elevation_profile198.jpg
    elevation_profile198.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 315
  • trip-55655856-map-full111.png
    trip-55655856-map-full111.png
    443.2 KB · Views: 316
Very interesting programme! He seems to focus on how the Partitions and foreign rule shaped the Polish lands (because he's travelling with the 1913 guidebook). He might be drawing somewhat misleading conclusions. For example, he thinks of Cracow as an "Austrian" city, not quite correct. Cracow is the most Polish of all cities mentioned in the programme, and 123 years of Austrian rule had very little impact on the city. On contrary, Wrocław was indeed a 100% German city (Breslau). Poznań was a Polish city with small German impact (the Royal Palace mentioned). Warsaw has a small historical part but her real growth began only after 1916. Łodź was created as an industrial city in 19th c. by multinational capital (where Jews played vital role) and so on. The history of today's Poland is extremely complex and certainly not just resulting from the 123 year long occupation.

In general, Portillo's programme is interesting and instructing, though, I have found Wrocław the most exciting of Polish cities, perhaps it is so foreign... and inhabited by people re-settled from our former Eastern lands but also by a huge Greek population (1970's political migration).

Thank you again for sharing!

P.S. More on the Orange Alternative:

The Wrocław Dwarfs is something really defining Wrocław of today:
As I might of mentioned I travelled to Romania in 1985 while Ceausescu was in power and got a first hand experience of life under communist rule.
I can slightly relate to the stories of communist Poland.
I really want to take my ebike back there to see how its changed.
20200818_093207.jpg

Labor Day Weekend Ride

The day started simply to get re-acquainted with the bikes. First we had to find a place to start. All lots at parks around the Washington area were bursting with cars by the time we got going. Labor Day Weekend, with Covid-19, combined with gorgeous weather made for a madhouse of hikers and cyclists. We found a spot off the beaten track near the sailing marina and chose to head for Alexandria, Virginia on the Mount Vernon Trail. Ere long, we ventured wherever the bikes pointed, finding the double-lane bike trail crossing the Woodrow Wilson Bridge across the Potomac into Prince Georges County, Maryland.

The bridge, a section of the Beltway around Washington, carried the usual roaring traffic of cars and trucks but this day found a multitude of bicycles quietly churning both ways adjacent to the westbound hordes of vehicles. A bump-out with sweeping view high above the river stopped us for a photo op. At the Maryland shore the bike trail circles up and over the Beltway where those multiple lanes are topped by a handsome landscaped park across the span. Featured are plaques in a serpentine walk, each of which has a description and intaglio of a fish of the Potomac (every one of them).
Labor Day Weekend Ride-1.JPG
Labor Day Weekend Ride-2.JPG
Labor Day Weekend Ride-3.JPG

Returning to Virginia, we had to do another photo op: the point where DC, Virginia, and Maryland all come together at a point. The ancient marker stone itself is protected by glass and metal that allow a peek from above.
Labor Day Weekend Ride-4.jpg

Well, I don’t have any of that GPS recording equipment so often used to map rides in this forum, but my trusty Intuvia display reveals that we had wandered about the day for 16 miles.

To start off on a bad note there are no cows to be found in these pictures of Saturday and Sunday rides. I almost rode to the rear of my farm to get some...but that would be cheating, something I already worry about viz my eBike. The farmer photo is of my friend Arnold who helped immeasurably in retrieving my cows from estate down the road. When we made the push to gather the misbehaving girls from the woods I walked the considerable distance to the back of her magnificent paddock to the woods edge where I thought I might be able to get their attention. While walking there swinging my bucket of sweet feed The mistress of the place said to Arnold (quite preceptively) "Do you think he knows cows?" Arnold replied "No ma'am he doesn't, but he amazes the boys at the stockyard every fall with how well he do." I called and they came out and the rest was mainly walking. Arnold was working down by the James river, high and broader than my abilities with a camera can communicate. The location is just east of Columbia along Rt. 6. Across the road is this grand entrance Dave Berry do justice. There is another collection of a grand entrance I took on a different ride. Again I did my best but I blame my $100 Canon for my lack of imagination.
IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0337.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    476.4 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    478.3 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0313.JPG
    IMG_0313.JPG
    499.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0323.JPG
    IMG_0323.JPG
    729.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    896.4 KB · Views: 317
The problem is there is no feasable way to get that much power into homes.
If everyone plugged an EV in at night the local transformer would burst into flames, yes maybe slow charge.
Evs are brilliant, but once you scale up ownership you meet serious current supply problems.

Nonsense... this is FUD. EVs can be charged overnight when demand is low and power is cheap. ;)

Nonsense... this is FUD. EVs can be charged overnight when demand is low and power is cheap. ;)

The report actually says anymore than 25% ownership will crash the grid...with a headline that says its a myth that it will.

A Ride At Traditional Bike Speed (Warsaw)

After many months during which we had fallen out with each other, my friend Jerzy agreed for a ride together. As some of you might remember, Jerzy (73) is a dedicated traditional-bike rider. His favourite trip distance is some 45 miles although he rode for 75 miles once! At this moment my third e-bike is with my brother, my Trance's wheels are at repair shop, so I let Brix see her family in Warsaw and transported my Vado to Jerzy's place (he lives in South-East Warsaw beyond the river).

We both were rewarded with weather: sunny, light wind, not too warm; just ideal cycling weather. Yet, my headache was to adjust the Vado performance to feel comfortable on the group ride with the trad-cyclist. I set the ECO mode to 30/25, which meant "it's 1 x You but never more than 130 W" :) That worked, and later I found the 25/25 or "it's 0.8 x You or 130 W max" would be just ideal. Sometimes I rode a tad too fast but then Jerzy was putting more effort. Sometimes I had to chase him when he was surprising me with his pedalling strength :)

The greatest reward for me was increased battery range. Extrapolated, I could ride for 70 miles in 30/25 mode or for 75 mi with the 25/25. (When I was riding alone or with my brother on e-bikes, my battery range was up to 80 km / 50 mi but we rode much faster).

Jerzy was taking an interesting route meant to not make me bored and to possibly be to the places I had not been to before. His other objective was to avoid frequented places (covid!) and to ride in green areas with good air (but on quality roads).

1599463950253.png

On the Karczew - Gassy ferry over River Vistula. That's the southernmost of river crossings around Warsaw unless you're ready for at least a metric century.

1599464333711.png

At the "Tandem" cycling bar. Kiełbasa is one of the Polish faves and it did me good. The Budweiser/Budvar belonged to Jerzy. Have you heard about the Budweiser U.S.-Czech trademark dispute originating from 1907 of course? The Czech Bud over there :) (A small text on the label reads: "Owned by the Czech Republic").

1599464712629.png

On the return way. We both were guessing where our friend Makenzen could have lived. Joanna is an avid recumbent bike rider, and she recently moved to a new flat in South Praga in Warsaw. We missed Makenzen's house for some 200 metres :) (We could have given her a phone call but we expected she was on a ride herself).

1599464981475.png

Jerzy's post-ride beer :) I could not drink as a driver...

1599465837836.png

Jerzy's route.

1599466077165.png

Slow but efficient ride. 38% of 604 Wh battery left.

Last edited:
Sky Pano courtesy of Google Street View …

This is new to me. It's around 8 pm and I have been planning where to ride tomorrow morning. The Old Lighthouse at Cleveland Point on the Moreton Bay Cycleway seemed like a good destination: about 70 km return, which is comfortably within the Trek Powerfly's range. (It's been almost a month now since my long-range Homage was admitted to the Critical Care Unit at the local R&M hospital, so planning must be careful.)

Imagine my surprise when I clicked on Google's Street View and, instead of being presented with the customary roof carrier view of traffic and parked cars, I was lifted aloft for a pelican's view of Moreton Bay with Cleveland Point in the foreground…

2020-09-09-sky-pano.jpg

Cleveland Point, Moreton Bay
Click on this link to see how it works: Google Sky Pano : Cleveland Point.

Turn the sky panorama around so that the red pointer at the bottom right faces down (south): far, far away in that direction is where the ride started will start.

The sun is low in the northern sky because the pano was taken in winter (last month according to the credit).

This is new to me. It's around 8 pm and I have been planning where to ride tomorrow morning. The Old Lighthouse at Cleveland Point on the Moreton Bay Cycleway seemed like a good destination: about 70 km return, which is comfortably within the Trek Powerfly's range. (It's been almost a month now since my long-range Homage was admitted to the Critical Care Unit at the local R&M hospital, so planning must be careful.)

Imagine my surprise when I clicked on Google's Street View and, instead of being presented with the customary roof carrier view of traffic and parked cars, I was lifted aloft for a pelican's view of Moreton Bay with Cleveland Point in the foreground…

View attachment 64795

Turn the sky panorama around so that the red pointer at the bottom right faces down (south): far, far away in that direction is where the ride started will start.

The sun is low in the northern sky because the pano was taken in winter (last month according to the credit).
wow! very cool

Long Holiday Weekends, Perfect Weather, and the Red Light Of Death (like a computer's blue screen of death, only this is a bike's version)

Labor Day weekend (a US holiday) is comprised of three days - Saturday, Sunday, and Monday during the first weekend of September. It was the first perfect weekend we had with stellar temps since springtime- the first after a long, exhaustingly hot, brutal, humid summer. It was the perfect weekend for riding a bike. Which is what I did. All three days. Without fail. But not without failure. Let me explain...

Many years ago, when I winter vacationed at my sister's house in Key West (a unashamedly hedonistic and wildly enthusiastic party island, the terminus on a chain of coral islands at the bottom of Florida) I had a beach bike. A Huffy brand. A single speed. A heavy steel tanker that could hold its own against a hurricane, or alligator, and keep on pedaling. It weighed a metric ton, and each day I loaded its frame with a pile of beach accoutrements that would have sagged a donkey's knees. (Somewhere I have a picture of it - just have to find it to share). I loved that bike. Being it was a Key West bike, which translates to it being a ridden work of art (there are Facebook pages devoted to artwork painted on Key West bikes), it became a canvas for my paintbrush, a delightful, quirky pedal equipped gayly painted statement for all the things Key West is famous for. Lights were festooned on the frame and wheels for riding at night, mainly for the entertainment of the Duval Street crowds (think Marti Gras in the French Quarter every night, but just one very long street long ). It was a workhorse by day and a festive ride at night. Did I mention it weighed a metric ton?

But, I digress. I did love that bike and I rode it everywhere around that small island. Not just once a day, but often 3 to 4 times. And it trashed my knee. Big time, long time. This was years ago, and my knee has never fully recovered.

Now, keeping this in mind that that damage to my knee was the catalyst for sending me down the electric bike rabbit hole , here we are 7 years later (time does fly when we're having fun) cruising down my local, much beloved gravel roads, riding a Giant "LaFree" which can be said (with a slight shrug of the shoulders for emphasis and a side eye at Giant themselves) is a beach bike electrified. The LaFree checks all the beach bike boxes - looks, form, and weight. Especially the weight. Fun bike...as long as the motor and battery play their part. It is the first day of the holiday and my plan was a nice 30 mile ride around the neighborhood on the gravel roads, the wind in my hair and a smile on my face, my GPS dutifully logging my miles at 5 going on 6 when ... I happened to glance down at my ride control to up the assist and saw a rarely seen LED glowing bright red warning me that there was a big problem brewing with the bike. I immediately stopped the bike and stared at the glowing red light. I hadn't a clue what it meant other than something was wrong. The assist lights, of which there are 5, now only glowed at Assist 1. The battery indicator was fine, and the bike still felt great. So I did what any self respecting IT person would do. I rebooted the bike.

Lo and behold, it worked. (Of course it did. When faced with the "blue screen of death" on a computer the default is always to reboot). The "red light of death" went away, and the ride control was back to normal and the bike happy to resume our ride...for the next 3 miles at any rate. Then it happened again. I stopped and frowned at the control, still not sure what the bike was trying to tell me other than this problem was starting to become a habit. I rebooted, the bike's ride control lights came back to normal, and off we went again. Please note that all throughout the bike never missed a beat, performing quite capably without flaw, never an indication that anything was wrong other than lighting up the "red light of death" every few miles.

But now I was spooked, and my attention turned from the beautiful passing scenery to watching the LED festooned face of the ride control with an eagle eye. Sure enough, within 2 miles, the red light of death blinked back into existance. And I suddenly realised the very real probability that my electric bike was on the cusp of turning into a Key West beach bike, without the advantage of a dead flat island landscape to get home. No, I lived next to the mountains, and our roads would be generously terms "rolling" if not downright hilly. Making a metric ton bike feel like two metric tons. I felt my knee twinge in abject fear.

Fortunately, I was a mere 3 miles from home which, after rebooting the bike once again, was no problem to return, park the bike in the garage, take a moment to calm my poor terrified knee that things were going to be OK, and then hop on the other electric bike (the Vado) to finish out the ride which ended up being only 22 miles rather than 30, but that's another story altogether. My old endurance friend 100 miles south of me texted later that day to tell me that she (on her Vado) had done 32 miles with her club that morning and they had been passed by tons of cyclists out setting the roads on fire they were moving so fast. One group even had a pace car. None of those groups even acknowledged her club. She added a sad face emojie. I suggested those groups were probably Tour de France wannabes. She said the club was doing a 40 mile ride on Monday. I texted back that I was pea green with envy, but I'm still not ready for group rides because my husband is high risk. And the Rona is not to be taken lightly. So it will remain just me and the Vado and the open road.

One day down, two more to go.

The Vado and I were now out to ensure we took full cycling advantage of the second day. Us ... and an entire flotilla of suburban and urban cyclists who come out to the countryside to cruise our roads on fast 3 ounce skinny bikes, all riding in tight groups with gusto and determined faces. I waved to them all, and they all wave back, their determined faces lighting up for a brief smile of shared solidarity. I left them to ride my roads while the Vado and I headed south to our favorite paved road loop in the lower county.

It was soul satisfying to feel the power of this sweet bike under me with nary a glimmer of any "red light of death", and I found I could study the passing countryside with a relaxing detached amusement. A double change has brightened up this familiar loop - the autumn flowers have appeared. The heady deep purple-pink of New York Ironweed is now painting tall spots of bright color into the deep greens of waning summer, and the brilliant yellows of Tickseed, a kissing cousin to the summer daisy, is festooning acres of lowland fields and stream beds in a sunshine captured by thousands of pretty wildflower petals.

IMG_20200906_110342_4_copy_710x1047.jpg

IMG_20200906_113411_0_copy_1080x499.jpg

I am in love with the views on this 24 mile loop, especially the one below.
IMG_20200906_105812_2_copy_600x800.jpg

Part of the loop includes a very peaceful 3 mile gravel road back in my own county not too many miles from home. To my surprise I bumped into an old neighbor walking this same road with two dogs and an friend. She and I had met when my husband and I had moved down to Virginia 33 years ago. While we see each other from time to time, it is always fun to catch up. So the Vado waited patiently, and the two dogs took to playing and splashing around in the creek next to the road while the three humans chatted away. Our gossip was briefly interrupted by a touring cyclist making his way slowly down the road. I recognized the touring panniers, and the fact that he wasn't intent upon setting the quiet gravel road on fire from speed, that this person was geared for distance and days with his bike as his sole companion. I'm a fan of crazyguyonabike.com - one of the best websites for bike touring journals and blogs there is - and I'm always delighted to see a touring cyclist in person and to hear about their goals . He stopped and happily engaged in conversation, detailing how he had started in Washington DC this morning, and was almost at his destination (Sky Meadows State Park against the Blue Ridge mountains) just a few miles down the road in Paris (Virginia, not France). He was riding a Surley - which I explained to my neighbor and her friend is the quintessent touring cycle, bar none. The rider, a 20something with a big smile, a true gentleman through and through, was on a 4 day tour. After that, he wasn't sure where he would be going, but just to be starting out and meet three nice ladies who were delighted to give him an alternative route that didn't encompass riding on a fast major highway, without shoulders I may add, to get to his destination, may have been one of the highlights of his day. I certainly hoped so.

After he said goodbye and gently rolled off down the road, I said my goodbyes to my old neighbor and her friend, and their two wet-from-playing-in-the-creek tongue lolling happy canines, and let my bike take me home. It was a lovely day filled with beautiful scenery, catching up with old neighbors, and exchanging greetings with a touring cyclist who was off on an adventure that I can only dream of. One day, maybe, that adventure will be realized for me. To go on a tour, just me and my bike. One day.

IMG_20200906_112832_0_copy_600x800.jpg

Two days down, one to go.

Monday morning I got a text from my cycling neighbor (who had done several supported tours in her early cycling days - lucky her) asking if I wanted to go for a ride. She had just gotten back from a week in the Midwest and needed to unwind. Not a problem for me. I was game, plus we needed to catch up on the news anyway. She biked from her place to mine, and we took off down the gravel roads, riding side by side on our Vados so we could freely chat. We probably could have gone a lot further than 15 miles if we'd concentrated on cycling like those other bikers passing us by instead of stopping at every corner to continue our conversation at a standstill. That said we still had a great time, and we parted ways once close to home as she had to hustle back to her place to prevent being late for a zoom meeting.

I myself settled down into the lounge chair on the deck to enjoy the rest of the afternoon, first pulling up the online manuel for the LaFree to see if it could tell me anything about the red light of death. It was brief in explanation - something about it being a battery issue, and strongly advising that if rebooting didn't eliminate the problem permanently (it didn't) then a trip to the bike shop to get a diagnosis was in order. Will do that Wednesday when the shop is open. I plan on pulling today into the cadre of a "holiday extension" and take off for another adventure this morning on my bike. The weather is too nice to do otherwise. I'll be sure to let you know how we fare.

Last edited:
But now I was spooked, and my attention turned from the beautiful passing scenery to watching the LED festooned face of the ride control with an eagle eye. Sure enough, within 2 miles, the red light of death blinked back into existance. And I suddenly realised the very real probability that my electric bike was on the cusp of turning into a Key West beach bike, without the advantage of a dead flat island landscape to get home. No, I lived next to the mountains, and our roads would be generously terms "rolling" if not downright hilly. Making a metric ton bike feel like two metric tons. I felt my knee twinge in abject fear.
Terrible! How fortunate are those of us who own more than a single e-bike...

View attachment 64795

Cafe..sea..palm trees.
Ticks all the boxes for me.

Yesterdays ride was great until I got my 1st flat with this bike. Luckily it happened just a couple miles from home so my wife picked me up. Had the stuff to fix it on the road but it is always easier to change tube at home. Still got to enjoy the scenery prior to the flat.
FC226AB0-1922-4294-96F4-7AF0565BB599.jpeg
3B174121-AF8A-4C93-95CA-8C2AD597FBAC.jpeg

The start of another ride …

2020-09-09-091026-2400-w1g6b1.jpg

Moreton Bay Cycleway
Most of my rides, especially those featuring cows, start from home. Not all, though.

Today I used the excuse of needing to visit my favourite native plant nursery as the incentive for putting the Powerfly on the rack and driving to the southern end of the Moreton Bay Cycleway. I made all of twenty metres before having to stop for the first photo! I was midway between my parked car and the first human/doggie drinking fountain. Slow progress… but that didn't matter.

2020-09-09-map.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back