2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I hope you tell someone who cares about you where you plan to be on these rides. One wrong step across that bog and you could have been inextricably stuck up to your waist. Or deeper. Be careful out there.:oops:
Thanks..yes, I thought about that after the event.

Another ride down the river …
2020-08-27-111056-2400-w1g7.jpg

Tennyson, Brisbane

Glamping in the woods. This is our Base Camp at a pretty deserted campground in the upper east middle part of Washington The State. There is a lake very close to the campsite with loons and such. Only electric motors are allowed on boats that need motors so it is a quiet place when uncrowded. I pull my little trailer with a pickup. My bike goes in the pickup bed.
DSC01333.JPG

The Demon Dog was ecstatic when I fastened the taser collar around her neck and got the bike out. The dog loves to run in the woods. The taser collar is mostly beeped now, and only when she does not return to a whistle. To the Demon, the taser collar means--RUNNING.

Our first ride went up a gravel road to an area that I know I worked in. The trouble is, that it was almost thirty years ago. I worked as a forester overseeing logging operations. The trees have filled back in, making me "think" maybe that was a unit. Hmmm, could this be one of the units?
DSC01328.JPG

This road also was where I encountered a very large moose a couple years ago. The moose did not look happy after being chased out of the brush by the Demon Dog, and the Demon Dog looked scared when she caught sight of what she had chased so we bugged out with no picture being taken. This time, not even a hint of moose could be found. Only ……. cows. There was a handy dog cooling off spot alongside the road. Think of it as a Dog Bog. It was a bit muddy, but cooling, and smelled of.....cows, which probably made it more of a dog spa experience.
DSC01331.JPG

I turned around when the mileage showed that it was maxed out for the Demon Dog. She is good for ten miles and then feet are likely to get sore. Unfortunately, I found out that that was also a limit for a few days. We returned to camp and saw a modern Rawhide episode as the campground host was on an ATV herding cows out of the campground. Cows are not allowed in campgrounds, but cowpies in the campground showed that this was not the first time they had invaded.

The next day, I rode with Demon Dog running alongside to a road in a different location. The last time I tried it with the Gazelle, it seemed too sandy on the first part so I had turned back. This time, I made it through the sand and up the hill. We passed a Red Bull--the bovine kind, along the way but since I was trying to get up a steepish bit of the road, and the bull did not look very happy about the Demon Dog, I kept going. He was gone when we came back down.

I figured the wrong way to go through a rough patch of the climb, so had to get off and push the Gazelle about 100 feet to where a side road was located. I could get going on the side road and then turn up the climb and continue on.
DSC01337.JPG

Near the end of the road, I interrupted brunch. Mama and big baby Angus were together and baby was getting some milk. Neither looked happy but I stopped to turn around and got pictures of each. Range cows are pretty wild. They have to contend with coyotes, wolves, cougars, and ....humans and put weight on. They are out in the wilds from June to the end of September. Then they go home to an easier life of being fed hay, or to the auction.
DSC01342.JPG

DSC01343.JPG

On the way back to camp, the Demon Dog started lagging behind. When we got back, I noticed she had sore feet so we returned home the next day where there is soft grass and smooth flooring to walk on. Poor girl. She loves to run.

These were the roughest roads I have had the Gazelle on. The bike did just fine. The made for pavement rear tire did spin out on a steep part of gravel, but I still managed to get it going and up the hill. I did not feel beat up after riding, like I do after the same ride on the Radmini. I find myself contemplating selling the Mini, since the Gazelle seems to handle rides in the woods well.

The problem is there is no feasable way to get that much power into homes.
If everyone plugged an EV in at night the local transformer would burst into flames, yes maybe slow charge.
Evs are brilliant, but once you scale up ownership you meet serious current supply problems.
A lot depends on your grid of course, Texas has lots of wind and sunlight, capacity and a very clean grid. But off topic, indeed.

picture 1 - bear poop, wheeling the bike out of the garage noticed the bag of garbage had disappeared, Yogi bear must have decided to supplement his berry diet with my crap, picture 2 always great to bring Charl along as we always get a picnic with her, and picture 3 - if you are
20200904_123518.jpg
lost we have the Rocky Mountains to the east and the Purcell mountains to the west, yea, I know that doesn't narrow it down much, the round knob of Mount Swansea in the background signals a popular hang-gliding spot with a contest to land closest to markers on Lake Windermere

Attachments

• 20200904_110935.jpg
    20200904_110935.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 335
  • 20200904_123612.jpg
    20200904_123612.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 341
Glamping in the woods. This is our Base Camp at a pretty deserted campground in the upper east middle part of Washington The State. There is a lake very close to the campsite with loons and such. Only electric motors are allowed on boats that need motors so it is a quiet place when uncrowded. I pull my little trailer with a pickup. My bike goes in the pickup bed.
View attachment 64385
The Demon Dog was ecstatic when I fastened the taser collar around her neck and got the bike out. The dog loves to run in the woods. The taser collar is mostly beeped now, and only when she does not return to a whistle. To the Demon, the taser collar means--RUNNING.

Our first ride went up a gravel road to an area that I know I worked in. The trouble is, that it was almost thirty years ago. I worked as a forester overseeing logging operations. The trees have filled back in, making me "think" maybe that was a unit. Hmmm, could this be one of the units?
View attachment 64387

This road also was where I encountered a very large moose a couple years ago. The moose did not look happy after being chased out of the brush by the Demon Dog, and the Demon Dog looked scared when she caught sight of what she had chased so we bugged out with no picture being taken. This time, not even a hint of moose could be found. Only ……. cows. There was a handy dog cooling off spot alongside the road. Think of it as a Dog Bog. It was a bit muddy, but cooling, and smelled of.....cows, which probably made it more of a dog spa experience.
View attachment 64386

I turned around when the mileage showed that it was maxed out for the Demon Dog. She is good for ten miles and then feet are likely to get sore. Unfortunately, I found out that that was also a limit for a few days. We returned to camp and saw a modern Rawhide episode as the campground host was on an ATV herding cows out of the campground. Cows are not allowed in campgrounds, but cowpies in the campground showed that this was not the first time they had invaded.

The next day, I rode with Demon Dog running alongside to a road in a different location. The last time I tried it with the Gazelle, it seemed too sandy on the first part so I had turned back. This time, I made it through the sand and up the hill. We passed a Red Bull--the bovine kind, along the way but since I was trying to get up a steepish bit of the road, and the bull did not look very happy about the Demon Dog, I kept going. He was gone when we came back down.

I figured the wrong way to go through a rough patch of the climb, so had to get off and push the Gazelle about 100 feet to where a side road was located. I could get going on the side road and then turn up the climb and continue on.
View attachment 64388

Near the end of the road, I interrupted brunch. Mama and big baby Angus were together and baby was getting some milk. Neither looked happy but I stopped to turn around and got pictures of each. Range cows are pretty wild. They have to contend with coyotes, wolves, cougars, and ....humans and put weight on. They are out in the wilds from June to the end of September. Then they go home to an easier life of being fed hay, or to the auction.
View attachment 64389

View attachment 64390
On the way back to camp, the Demon Dog started lagging behind. When we got back, I noticed she had sore feet so we returned home the next day where there is soft grass and smooth flooring to walk on. Poor girl. She loves to run.

These were the roughest roads I have had the Gazelle on. The bike did just fine. The made for pavement rear tire did spin out on a steep part of gravel, but I still managed to get it going and up the hill. I did not feel beat up after riding, like I do after the same ride on the Radmini. I find myself contemplating selling the Mini, since the Gazelle seems to handle rides in the woods well.
Does demon dog have some Spanial in her/his background?

Does demon dog have some Spanial in her/his background?

The guess that was written on her adoption papers was Spaniel/Lab. I call her potential circus dog. She can jump onto the hood of a pickup from a stand still, has leaped over a couch and end table so as to avoid having to go around, can climb 6 foot dog kennel panels, balance on the top rail and then jump down. She'll walk out on logs that are floating. She has a good nose and can remember her way home. So she is pretty athletic and smart and high energy. However, she is at the age that dogs begin to slow down. Just barely beginning.

Yep
The guess that was written on her adoption papers was Spaniel/Lab. I call her potential circus dog. She can jump onto the hood of a pickup from a stand still, has leaped over a couch and end table so as to avoid having to go around, can climb 6 foot dog kennel panels, balance on the top rail and then jump down. She'll walk out on logs that are floating. She has a good nose and can remember her way home. So she is pretty athletic and smart and high energy. However, she is at the age that dogs begin to slow down. Just barely beginning.
Thats what I thought. Too much energy for me in a campervan, but damn she looks like a good dog.

That ride to Delamere forest.
Its about 40 mins from the house in the van, very affluent area...the Cheshire set as they are called, ground zero for footballers mansions ...greek pillars, statues in the front gardens etc.

A lot of the tracks were very boggy, so I stuck to the unused and overgrown tracks deeper into the forest , that made for some exciting riding as you basically had to guess where the track is under the foilage.

Screenshot_2020-09-05-11-34-39.png

I would suddenly pop out into a picnic group as a track led me back to the populated parts , the gears were just full of vines, leaves and the occasional branch, thats where hub drives come into their own.
Screenshot_2020-09-05-11-24-07.png

Its a pity the lovely cafe and bike shop are closed for renovation, they make lovely ham salad butties.

The battery lasted 3 hours and by that time I was exhausted from steep climbs and the constant concentration on winding tight tracks.
I dont usually visit alone, but when Im there with friends we end up racing and its far too dangerous when its this busy.
End of September it will be empty again.
I love the place because you find a new path everytime you go.
Screenshot_2020-09-05-11-12-54.png

Theres a video on my channel, but it didnt turn out very good, its a scream to ride but doesnt translate well to camera.

Overall its a few hours of near total isolation with the safety of never being more than a mile from a road, the lake is full in the video, when it drops in the winter its like youve entered Jurassic park.

Screenshot_2020-09-05-11-13-44.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-05-11-13-19.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-05-11-13-19.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 356
A town and country ride …

2020-09-06-090006-2400-w1g6b1.jpg

Kholo Gardens, Muirlea
8 km on map
Nothing exciting happened: just 50% rolling gravel roads; 50% quiet paved roads. In brief: a quiet Sunday outing!

2020-09-06-map.jpg

Stefan if you havent seen this , our number one BBC train enthusiast Michael Portillo..who used to be the defence secretary, travels around Europe by train, he starts this Poland episode in Warsaw.
Very interesting programme! He seems to focus on how the Partitions and foreign rule shaped the Polish lands (because he's travelling with the 1913 guidebook). He might be drawing somewhat misleading conclusions. For example, he thinks of Cracow as an "Austrian" city, not quite correct. Cracow is the most Polish of all cities mentioned in the programme, and 123 years of Austrian rule had very little impact on the city. On contrary, Wrocław was indeed a 100% German city (Breslau). Poznań was a Polish city with small German impact (the Royal Palace mentioned). Warsaw has a small historical part but her real growth began only after 1916. Łodź was created as an industrial city in 19th c. by multinational capital (where Jews played vital role) and so on. The history of today's Poland is extremely complex and certainly not just resulting from the 123 year long occupation.

In general, Portillo's programme is interesting and instructing, though. I have found Wrocław the most exciting of Polish cities, perhaps it is so foreign... and inhabited by people re-settled from our former Eastern lands but also by a huge Greek population (1970's political migration).

Thank you again for sharing!

P.S. More on the Orange Alternative:

The Wrocław Dwarfs is something really defining Wrocław of today:

Last edited:
Back