2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
David I googled your address and found this pic of your place. Where do you find room to keep all your bikes?
1583335856981.png

Greeting you from Prague, Czech Republic!
Flying to Prague from Warsaw, then having very intensive tourist programme there. We have been to many attractions such as The Václav's Square, The Powder Gate, the Orloj astronomical clock on the Old Town townhall, the Charles Bridge. Prague is a tourist dream, trust me. In the evening, Brix and I went with Uber to the Klub 007 Strahov for a gig of The Vibrators. The club has been operating since 1969. Great audience, great gig. Prague is devoted to the music, with hundreds of concerts. Today (Thursday) we want to see the Castle Hill (Hradčany) and the Golden Yard.

In the picture, you can see Becherovka, the iconic Czech herb liquer. It tastes great and it is far different from the Jägermeister, since Becherovka contains no anise. We emptied that small bottle at Starbucks 😀 Even more iconic is the Czech Absinthe but we gave that idea up this time.

21 leisurely, relaxing, slow gravel road miles yesterday, enjoying the final days of the winter "blah" scenery. Started off first thing at 9am in the morning because the rest of my day was jammed full. Got 1/2 mile down the road, then turned around and came back pedaling fast...because...it was much colder than I had anticipated. You see, the forecast was for a high of 63°F (17°C), but...I neglected to take into account it was still only 43°F (6°C). And yes, I had underdressed.

So a swift return home to put on an extra jacket, a neck warmer, and windbreaker pants...and I was off pedaling down the road again, MUCH warmer, and with a smile this time.

Elected to take some roads that had some challenging hills. 4 extremely challenging hills. Long, steep hills. Going up them, not down. And when I say challenging, we're talking down into 3rd gear with turbo assist to make it up the slopes. Was delighted to find that my leg strength and endurance over the past months has improved dramatically, and my use of the top assist was less and less. Best of all - no knee stress or pain.

IMG_20200304_105200384_HDR_copy_900x1200.jpg

We'd had some heavy winds and rain the night before, so all the creeks were rushing and tumbling over rocks at maximum speed, matched by the clean and sparking rainwater spilling in remarkably orderly fashion downhill in the roadside ditches. Fortunately, despite all the rain, the gravel roads were in good shape, well drained and (for the most part) fairly dry.

IMG_20200304_105004965_HDR_copy_786x1116.jpg

The debris from the winds was another story. Scattered tree limbs and branches littered the roads in a shrapnel of fractured wood lost in the battle against the high winds the night before. In one spot the carnage had been savagely brutal, and I had to park the bike so that I could manhandle out of the road a particularly oversized limb that was lying dead practically in the middle of the road. The cars had simply been driving around it, as evidenced by the tire tracks and the bits and pieces of the thinner branch ends being broken off in passing. It took everything I had just to pull and push the heavy limb carcass off to the side of the road. But I did my civic duty, and then wiped my hands of the whole affair before heading down (or up, as the case may be) the road on my bike again.

It was warm by the time I was heading back home, but I remained thankful that the extra clothing had kept me toasty the entire ride. Texted my stats to my friend down in middle Virginia, and she texted back that she was just hopping in her ebike to go out for a ride. A moment later got her link so that I could follow her along on her 22 mile ride. Was so jealous when she sent a pic of a blooming cherry tree enroute. Ain't nothing blooming up here, we are still locked in winter gray.

Cherry-blossoms-3-4-2020-Karen.jpg

Will be out with the bike shop group today. Taking my 21 speed vintage hybrid (now a Class 2 with a front hub motor) since all the roads are city and paved. Won't be as warm today - mid 50's - but I'm hoping we will see some budding color in the suburbs.

Last edited:
19.5 miles with the bike shop group yesterday morning out of Leesburg, VA. It was a "2 lightweight jackets" type of "cool but sunny" weather, with a route over city/suburbia paved roads, and a Starbucks stop for coffee halfway with outdoor seating in the warm sun so we could engage in light banter of all subjects under every topic. A small group of only 5, but lots of fun as we all have known each other for years and bike together often.

I took the converted vintage 1994 hybrid with the front hub motor this time because ... well, because I can fit the entire bike in my electric car without having to remove the bike's front wheel. It's a very tight fit, but it works. Took both 20 mile batteries with me as well. Just in case. They are small and fit easily into the panniers. I hadn't taken this bike to a group ride in a long time - a few years at the very least. I was curious to see how I did with it in comparison to the Class 1 ebike.

So the ride was fun...except that I ran into one problem. OK. Maybe several problems starting with the fact that this converted Class 2 is of the type of ebike that does not play well with Class 0 road bikes. First, even on a good day, an unassisted cromoly steel (heavy as heck) hybrid is way out of its league in a group of lightweight aluminum and carbon built road bikes. Second, my preferred cadence is a bit slower than that of the pedal only road bike riders, and Third, my button throttle is an old fashioned "all or nothing" assist. That meant that I had to feather the throttle constantly to remain at the same pace as the others. It was doable...but a touch mentally uncomfortable. If I didn't use the throttle, I had to depend upon pressing my damaged knee to keep up, pushing a steel bike. When I did use the throttle, the bike moved a lot faster, a lot quicker, than the road bikes. A LOT quicker.

Again, a touch mentally uncomfortable. Otherwise, it wasn't a big deal and I easily paced the bike exactly where I wanted it. Swapped batteries at the midway point so I was completely assured I had plenty of juice for the motor to use the entire ride.

We were at 18 miles, however, when I heard the hub motor start complaining. It was all uphill returning, and I got the feeling that the motor was starting to heat up from the inconsistent on/off/on/off use. When I simply pedaled for a hundred yards or so, the motor had time to cool and stopped complaining. Problem was, my knee then took up the complaining instead.

Somehow, someway I was going to be on the losing end.

It was a close race: knee vs the hub motor. The motor gave out first. Less than a quarter mile from the parking lot it just quit working altogether. I was now on my own with zero assist.

But, I was in luck. We had stopped at the trail crossing of main road back which was both downhill, and dead direct to the parking lot. I told the group I was heading back via the road while they continued on the roundabout bike trail. Off on my own I could pedal at my own speed, and cool the motor down such that it happily engaged just as I pulled into the parking lot. The group met up with me a few minutes later, we stayed to chat, then said our goodbyes. At that point I took my bike into the shop to have the mechanic install new brake pads. Took off to do some shopping, and returned with a big bag of bakery chocolate chip cookies. My bike was ready for me with new brake pads, brake levers adjusted, and a overall check of everything to make sure all was in tip top shape. My mechanic grinned from ear to ear when I handed him his "tip" (the bag of cookies) for a job well done.

So a fun ride with a great group of people. But I learned my lesson. I'll go back to using the PAS ebike for group rides, and the vintage bike will be retired (again) to just solo rides.

Currently my knee is giving me the silent but angry treatment . We have cold and rainy weather forecast in our region for today and tomorrow, so no biking is planned. I'm sure two days of rest will be enough time to sooth all injured feelings, especially as I need to have that knee onboard for a nice, long ride on Monday when the temps are supposed to hit a rare 70°F (21°C).

bike ride 3-5-2020.jpg

Last edited:
Brix and I have already returned from Prague to Warsaw. We're flying to Wrocław (Breslau) today. I don't think we'd be taking photos in that city as we've both already been to Wrocław for several times. My plan is to document the last gig ever of a punk-rock band called ZWŁOKI (The Corpse), a legendary Wrocław 1980's band that is to disband forever due to health reasons of the frontman nicknamed Magilla.

1583561739307.png

Prague, Czech Republic is one of the most attractive tourist cities in the world. Located on the Vltava River in the valley surrounded by steep hills is not only a dream of a tourist but also a cyclist paradise. The Czech are very fond of cycling; their word for the bicycle is "kolo" meaning "the wheel" and a cyclist is "kolar" (the wheeler). In Polish, the bicycle is called "rower" because the first bicycles imported to the lands of today's Poland were of the Rover brand. We call a cyclist "rowerzysta" and the word "kolarz" means "a competitive cyclist" :)

Here, at the Charles Bridge in Prague, which holds since 14th c. The bridge was founded by the Czech King Charles IV, who also became the Holy Roman Emperor and moved the capital city of the Empire to Prague. XIV century was the golden age for Bohemia (Czechia). The Charles Bridge is not straight in its axis, it is curved to make it impossible for an easy target for archers and crossbow-men across the bridge.

1583562724570.png

Brix in the Prague Old Town Square. We drank Becherovka with coffee to our and your health at the Starbucks :) Nobody minded; the Czech are easy-going people, reminding me of the Canadian.

Last edited:
Is there such a thing as 'too much rain'?
2020-03-07-pine-mtn-a-ebr.jpg

Pine Mountain, Queensland
There was not much ebiking to be had during February. Rain had a good deal to do with that and I have to admit to taking time off indoors to watch skiing on Eurosport. The major venue was Garmisch, the very place where I got my big break in skiing half a century ago.

Today was one of the days when I suffered the consequences of my youthful skiing enthusiasm and, after just thirty minutes I decided to head home rather than suffer a seized-up ankle. And so back home via the bucolic scenery of Pine Mountain (above and below)…

2020-03-07-borallon-dam-ebr.jpg

Cattle country, Wanora.

A few tablets and a mug of hot chocolate, alas no glühwein, soothed my arthritic pains.

To avoid any further problems from my decrepit body, the second attempt at an outing kept close to the Rosewood rail line – flat and an easy 'ride' home if required. All was fine so, after crossing the railway at Thagoona (below) I headed up Evans Hill…

2020-03-07-thagoona-ebr.jpg

Thagoona Rail Crossing.

2020-03-07-evans-hill-ebr.jpg

Looking south from Evans Hill.

Evans Hill was where I made the wrong call. Instead of heading back the way I had come – down onto the flat farmlands in the last photo – I chose the scenic and, more significantly wetter, route down the northern side.

Did it rain? It poured down! The bleary-eyed patrons of the Glamorgan Vale Pub proffered schooners of ale. I smiled and waved. Time to get home, albeit after an hour's cold drenching. Another hot chocolate must surely await.

2020-03-07-wanora-rd-ebr.jpg

Wanora Road in the rain.

2020-03-07-map-weather-aa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see you back in business. That rain picture is gorgeous!

And what’s this big break in skiing fifty years ago? I don’t remember seeing you at the Okemo Downhill back in those days! Of course, Vermont ain’t Europe :)

Went for a short ride yesterday to run the Demon Dog. The Demon Dog just about caused chaos on a cattle guard. She tip toes across the top of most of them which is fine unless she is directly in front of me and stops on the cattle guard. That happened yesterday. I had no time to stop so yelled at her to LOOK OUT and she sidestepped and I made it over. For those of you unfamiliar with cattle guards, they are pits dug across roads with steel bars across the pit so cars can drive over but cows and horses cannot walk over. It replaces a gate. My dog tip toes across on the bars. You can bike over them but must keep the bike straight, just like going over a railroad crossing or your tire will fall through and you will hurt. Anyway, we both survived. The Meadowlarks have returned and were singing madly. They can be heard, and seen, but not photographed because they will not stay put while I fumble with getting the camera out of my pocket. The "lakes" are still frozen and the roadside trickle of snowmelt is gone. We found dog water 4 miles along. I'll have to start carrying dog water again.

46952 46953 46954

Back