2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
It's been a while since I've been to work...almost 3 months now. So, I decided to go there for today's ride and took some pictures. The campus was pretty empty since it's summer and due to COVID-19 almost all students with the exception of few dozen grad students are remote (staff too).

University of California, Irvine
IMG_0348.jpg

Student Center
IMG_0352.jpg

One of many parking garages
IMG_0353.jpg

Irvine Barclay Theater (Lots of plays, concerts, and ballet)
IMG_0355.jpg

Aldrich Hall (main administrative building)
IMG_0357.jpg

Student Center Main Area (food, bank, UPS, ATMs, and outside dining areas)

Westside of Student Center
IMG_0373.jpg

The Ring (the pathway circles the campus with a circumference of 1 mile)
IMG_0375.jpg

Inner Ring (grassy area with a smaller ring pathway)
IMG_0383.jpg

Ayala Science Library (Where my office is)
IMG_0385.jpg

One of two Starbucks on campus
IMG_0388.jpg

The Ring from a different point in the path
IMG_0391.jpg

Memories …
View attachment 55375
Brisbane River at Twin Bridges
An ancient motorhome overnighting next to the river. This is what memories are made of!

In the early seventies when Jen and I were first in Australia we toured the country, 'wild camping' at spots like this. Our VW Kombi, which had made the journey with us aboard the migrant ship Oronsay, parted company in New Zealand where, just perhaps, it is parked next to the Waikato or other idyllic river at this very moment.

Nine of us rode down the Waikato today, Hamilton to Ngaruawahia 55k return: it wasn't there.

Why I love my sunrise cruises to/thru Cherry Creek State Park.

Beat the heat. Denver's high altitude sun gets intense quickly.
Beat the crowds. I see way more rabbits than people in the morning, and prairie dog chirps and birdsong are my accompaniment.
Options. Inside the park there is a maze of paved and gravel paths, as well as the network of roads for access to parking.
Peaceful. All most all of the ride either in park space or along a creek/canal. There is only one major road crossing.
Scenic. Here's a few pics from this morning.

I start along the High Line Canal, then make a short loop thru Fairmount Cemetery. Founded in 1890, Fairmount is Denver's 2nd oldest cemetery. 280 acres designed by German landscape architect Reinhard Schuetze, 4500+ trees were planted the first year it was open. It is the largest arboretum in the State.
fullsizeoutput_3a3.jpegfullsizeoutput_3a4.jpeg

Then it's back onto the Canal trail, past Cherry Creek Country Club. Designed by Jack Nicklaus and his son Jack II it's 7400 yards of difficulty if you go from the tips. I was fortunate enough to play it once. Kicked my butt.fullsizeoutput_3a8.jpegfullsizeoutput_3a9.jpeg

The Canal trial joins with Cherry Creek Trail at Paul A. Hentzell Park.fullsizeoutput_3aa.jpegfullsizeoutput_3ab.jpeg

Next up is John F. Kennedy public golf course, my first post-retirement job as a course Ranger. I love Denver's public courses and they always get rave reviews from visitors.fullsizeoutput_3ac.jpegfullsizeoutput_3ad.jpeg

There's a gentle 5% grade path running alongside the Lake dam to the park entrance on Dayton St.fullsizeoutput_3af.jpegfullsizeoutput_3b1.jpeg

The 880 acre reservoir anchors the park which has a lot of picnic shelters, fishing spots, boating of course including a marina. I love the whale tail shelters.fullsizeoutput_3b3.jpeg

Yes there are lots of trails, paved and not, as well as the road network, but I don't think they're particularly well marked, it's easy to get lost. On weekends I stick with a route I know or use Google Maps but on weekdays I love to just wander around.fullsizeoutput_3b4.jpegfullsizeoutput_3b5.jpegfullsizeoutput_3b6.jpeg

This has become my favorite photo in my 3rd attempt at a regular riding lifestyle (entering my second year of making better/healthier choices, hopefully once and for all).

Last September I had worked my way up to 100kms rides a few times and then one beautiful Saturday I simply...kept going. Somehow had enough battery and strength in my legs to go for a full 150kms. I can still remember the ride, how I felt and what it meant to me then and now.

About a half hour from home I took this photo. It's the screen lock image on my phone to this day and reminds me of what I can do if I keep at this lifestyle, and hence I'm grateful to have found this community here to chat and share with.

Cheers

2019-09-14 18.48.43.jpg

IMG_20200614_120151292.jpg

Sunny blustery day on the TTT (Tommy Thompson Trail), Anacortes, WA.

We pedaled about 7 miles - the trail is 6.6 round trip from the northern trailhead. We poked around various side streets to look at the boats in the way out, so added a bit to the total.

Here's the info from the Washington Trails Association:

I still haven't been able to do my bike update, so Ride Control won't open to track route and mileage - I'm calling my LBS in the morning to try to get it taken care of!
IMG_20200614_120733912.jpg

Nice outdoor eating at food trucks at the northern trailhead after the ride :cool:!
IMG_20200614_124304606.jpg

Last edited:
From the lake to the mountains …
2020-06-12-104957-2400-lr-gb10.jpg

Lake Wivenhoe with D'Aguilar Range beyond.
Monday's ride started not far from where I took a break at Lake Wivenhoe on Friday.

Photos and map to follow; I'm part way up the D'Aguilar Range as I post this. Definitely, ebike territory!

Dare I add, this is a favourite section – the twisting, hilly bit – of Southeast Queensland's favourite motorcycle ride. Even on a Monday, there'll be a few of them powering over the mountains.

View attachment 55422
Monday's ride started not far from where I took a break at Lake Wivenhoe on Friday.

Photos and map to follow; I'm part way up the D'Aguilar Range as I post this. Definitely, ebike territory!

Dare I add, this is a favourite section – the twisting, hilly bit – of Southeast Queensland's favourite motorcycle ride. Even on a Monday, there'll be a few of them powering over the mountains.
David, another spectacular photo! Thank you 😊🚴‍♀️

In the Very Centre of Poland

The heart of Poland beats in Cracow. Warsaw is the capital city. Many Poles believe Warsaw is located in Central Poland. It is not. The centre of Poland lies some 120 km (75 mi) westwards of Warsaw in the Łódź Voivodship. My brother Jacek drove in my yard at 7.30 a.m. sharp, fully ready to travel to mid-Poland. I was ready, too.

We drove by A2 freeway (we paid 40 US cents for the toll!) and Hwy 91 to Łęczyca, which is a beautiful old town, even sporting its own Royal Castle. It's a pity I never have time to photograph the cities from we start our rides (the ride is too precious to lose time there!). The weather was very good for me. The temperature rose from 18 to 22 C during the ride, so it was not overly hot, pretty strong wind ensured pleasant body cooling, and it was mostly sunny. I wore long sleeve, full trousers thermoactive base layer and was fine. It was too cold for Jacek who had to wear a long sleeve jersey and a windbreaker.

You need to know the land we were roaming over is haunted by the devil Boruta, pictured as a nobleman. A story to come!

1592198661176.png

Boruta mixed everything up from the very start and I and Jacek were making circles around Łęczyca at first. Here, you can see a historical prison in the city. It is now a tourist attraction.

1592198856092.png

The "Peasant's Homestead of Łęczyca" heritage museum.

1592199033522.png

On May 21st, 1161, the (Romanesque) Archcollegiate Church in Tum near to Łęczyca was consecrated. The beauty of this church is not only its architecture but also the fact the church is located among the fields. The name of Tum is ancient and means "a cathedral" or "a collegiate" (like in the German "Dom").

The Legend of the Devil Boruta in Tum
Boruta was courting a gorgeous lass of that village. The girl could see the handsome nobleman through and knew he was a devil. She told Boruta she'd accept him if he brought a lot of stone, so an inn could be built in the village. Hard task for a human, easy thing for a devil! Boruta brought a lot of stone to the village but had to leave for some business meeting in the Hell. Meanwhile, the farmers built the church in Tum instead of the inn. On his return, Boruta got infuriated, so badly he was cheated by a woman! He jumped onto the church and tried to damage it! He failed though, only leaving smouldering marks of his talons on the collegiate walls. Hurt in his male pride, Boruta rambles over the land to this day, getting into people minds and making them confused.

1592199891609.png

Poppies in the Centre of Poland.

1592200018030.png

A sad story of many Polish palaces and manor houses to be told now. After 1945, the Communist rule "gave" the land property to "the People", meaning to no-one. Except of some gems of history and architecture, many of historical building fell into ruin. It is very hard to restore such buildings nowadays. Either the owner (be it a former kolkhoz or a production facility) cannot afford the reconstruction, or a potential private owner is baffled by the cost and the demand from the state to preserve the ancient character of the building. In rare cases, such old manor houses are successfully restored. Here, a palace in Skotniki (1834).

1592200395351.png

COWS.EXE :D The Polish cattle breed is red. Other Polish cows are black and white (the Dutch breed).

1592200521327.png

There is a cycling craze in Poland now.

1592200590779.png

The church in Modlna.

1592200679222.png

"Hey, bro! The Vado with the motor off just rides as a normal bike!" We swapped e-bikes with Jacek after our trip was over. He will use my Vado for the coming two weeks for his daily commutes, and I will gladly be riding my Lovelec, which Jacek brought to the luxurious state. I really missed my Lovelec, "a normal e-bike" :)

1592200956151.png

At the 24th kilometre.

1592201046027.png

A US$1000 Polish made e-bike. The European Union doesn't allow cheap Chinese imports. Or, a throttle :D

1592201157800.png

The Polish countryside. To decorate something with flowers is called "to May it" (umaić). The cross here is Mayed.

1592201501796.png

The Manor House & Park in Dzierżążna (a terrible name, even for a Pole!) Here, a Community Centre operates, and the building and park have regained their beauty because of the EU funding.

1592201672962.png

We had a pleasant talk with a couple from Łódź there.

1592201765099.png

A stroke of Boruta! We rode tarmac all the way except of 1 kilometre long sandy stretch we could not ride through. We had to ride on the grass instead.

1592201894259.png

The church in Gieczno by the Hwy 702.

1592201990614.png

In 1966, members of a Tourist Society of Łęczyca requested the Cartography Institute in Warsaw to calculate where the geometrical centre of Poland actually had been. The verdict was: The centre of Poland is in the city of Piątek.

1592202162482.png

Piątek (Friday) is on the River Malina (Raspberry) -- and on River Moszczenica. They even have the Folk Sports Club Friday Raspberry! (LKS Piątek Malina).

1592202321131.png

Further calculations proved the geometrical centre of Poland was not exactly in Piątek...

1592202441237.png

The "Castles of the Łódź Land". From top-left:

• The Palace in Goślub (former kolkhoz)
  • The Manor in Bałków (restored, private property)
  • The Manor in Ktery (owned by a production facility)
  • The Manor in Strzegocin (owned by a religious institution)
The geometrical centre of Poland lies where the top-right photo shows (Bałków).

1592202720662.png

A stork in its nest.

1592202788965.png

A blueberry plantation, at our last stop.

1592202882597.png

The proof we were riding in the very centre of Poland ;) (The country names are in Czech).

1592202986508.png

The ride stats.

Last edited:
View attachment 55422

Incredible photo David!

Going Halfway and Back, Pristine Vineyards, and The Magic Number

Sometimes there are just not enough hours in the day to get everything done, so halfway just has to suffice.

But when your destination is Halfway, the time you spend getting there and back can be so rewarding. Even when little interruptions happen along the way.

Screenshot_20200615_172215.jpg

Work around the farm demands some catching up while the weather is good, so stealing time away to do frivolous stuff, like napping or riding a bike, has to be carefully planned not to disrupt the flow of getting things accomplished on the To Do List.

So early enough in the morning, with aimless relaxed breezes that had yet to read the memo that they will be promoted to official "headwind status" by noon, appeared to be the best time for my last bike ride for the next few days (due to a full schedule of "very important stuff" that needed to be attended to).

Since my neighbor and I did a 23 mile gravel road ride yesterday, and barely managed to finish still breathing due to all the dust kicked up by way too many cars out enjoying a Sunday drive on the rural roads, we both had decided that we were going to stick to the paved roads until it rained enough to dampen the dust. She was busy today with her To Do List, so it was just my Vado and myself heading out for a nice circular ride below Middleburg.

0615201045a_copy_896x538.jpg

While Middleburg is known as "Hunt County USA" for the overabundance of horses, breeding farms, foxhunts, and wealthy landowners going back centuries, this area has just recently, within the last 15 years, found a new nitch to exploit for tourism dollars - namely, wineries. Fields that used to house Thoroughbreds and purebred cattle now cater to thin vines all growing in strategic "military parade" rows of unparalled precision. Fiercely protected by 10' high wire fencing to ward off deer (those short tailed 4 legged pests that are determined to ruin both farmer's crops, expensive shrubbery, and unwitting automobiles in equal proportions), I found it highly amusing to see - while taking the photo above - an opportunist doe that had managed to breach the barricades and was happily engaged in eating the very fresh and well fertilized grass between the rows of very expensive and very cultured grape vines. Just how long she was going to manage to live the good life, before ending up as venison once the vineyards staff laid eyes on her, and got her within their rifle sights, was up to how enterprising she was at remaining hidden. Not being very smart to let me see her, she realized her error and slipped away before I could zoom in and take a snapshot of her.

Back on the bike and heading further south I had decided to stick to the main road and just enjoy the rolling scenery and terrain. Traffic is normally very light on this road, and today was no exception. I think I had a grand total of 4 motorists pass me the entire 5 miles to Halfway.

0615201055_copy_896x1493.jpg

In a prior posting I had explained that Halfway has been thus named for being the road distance halfway between Middleburg and The Plains. It was not a town, not a village, not even a crossroads. In short it was a simple place marker with two or three houses built at varying distance from the road, a derelict building or two that may have been a service station or store sometime in the very distant past, much too long ago for anyone to really remember clearly.

But it had its own sign on the road, and thus was photoworthy enough for the Vado to do some posing.

Just beyond Halfway was my own halfway point, jumping off the main road to swing back towards home on an "unimproved" paved road which meant a slightly rougher surface, and no guide lines, but with terrific views of the Bull Run Mountains, and virtually traffic free.

0615201113_copy_537x895.jpg

Again, in a prior post I had waxed poetic on this incredibly lovely, almost private byway (for lack of traffic and shoulder-to-shoulder huge, showy horse farms and estates), and today was just as beautiful as the first time I biked this road....except... I had a small problem. Actually two small problems. No, make that three small problems, although the first one, at the beginning of my ride, had fortuitously been resolved. Allow me to digress to the first incident.

Somehow I had, upon leaving my driveway and heading up the first hill, managed to not turn on my bike correctly. At least I'm assuming I was the cause. My normally swift bike began lugging up the hill like an old Schwinn beach bike. We're talking heavy, lackluster, and zero pep. Confused, I powered the bike up to mid assist, then max assist. And got nothing but a dispirited bike continuing to lug up the hill, powered only by my legs. I looked at my ride display and saw all the lights happily lit, as if nothing was wrong. But something sure was. The motor was as silent as a grave.

I turned the bike around and let it float down to the bottom of the hill, and stopped to check that everything was working. Yes, everything was, and all lights were lit and on the job...except the motor. The motor was, for all intents and purposes, dead.

Now, being an old computer geek and web designer, the number one mantra for all things electronic that aren't working as they should, is to reboot. Turn everything off, and turn it back on again.

So I did. And lo and behold, the motor immediately engaged in concert with all the other electronics as if nothing had been wrong, its death had been merely a prank, and all was right with the world.

I should have taken that as a warning. Nothing ever happens as a single event. Disasters, pranks included, always come in threes. The magic number.

So, back to the present I have now noticed I had the aforementioned next issue arise, quite unexpectedly, in the guise of a squeaky right pedal. Not a continuious squeak, mind you, but a very annoying, rather loud, intermittent, teeth grinding sound that just came and went at its own pleasure.

Squeak, squeak, squeak, [silence silence, silence] squeak, squeak, squeak.

Then, not to be outdone, the third incident jumped in to add a weird, untraceable rattle somewhere around my front wheel/stem/handlebar.

I sounded like a one man band pedaling down the road.

Squeak, squeak, rattle-rattle, squeak, [silence rattle, silence] squeak, rattle squeak, squeak rattle-rattle.

I still had 13 miles left to ride, and knew, especially as I was now adding vocals of the "colorful" variety to the rattle/squeak racket, that I would never make it home before I either fixed both vastly irritating problems, or tossed the bike in the nearest creek.

I stopped at a very interesting old building next to the road to take some pictures - and calm my ire. I figured that if I had something to take my mind off the noise my bike was happily engaged in broadcasting, the urge to kill would subside until I could locate the rattle, and figure out how to deal with the pedal squeak.

Here is the pictures of this old building. If anyone can figure out what that weird concrete tank/subground storage container down the slope near the stream was for, I'd love to hear your ideas. The stone building gave no clue as to its original purpose, and just rudely shouted, by virtue of too many "No Trespassing " signs plastered on the boards covering every entryway front and back, that I wasn't wanted and to go away.
0615201127a_copy_896x538.jpg

0615201127.jpg

0615201127b_copy_896x538.jpg

Actually, stopping to take the pictures was extremely fortunate as I was on a slope and was slow getting started up the road when I noticed that my (fairly new) phone holder was tilted a strange angle and seemed to be wobbling. I touched it to readjust it, and to my horror the holder's stem abruptly broke, and my phone took a downward tumble straight to the tarmac. I tried to grab it since the charging cord was still plugged in, holding the phone briefly on a tenuous lifeline. But I wasn't fast enough and the cord released the phone to plummet in a free fall right to the pavement. Face down, of course.

I leaped off the bike, kicked down the kickstand, and ran back to retrieve my phone. Wouldn't you know that there was actually a car, a very rare beast on this road, right behind me. He was stopped (he had to because I had my bike parked center of the road, on a hill, in a semi-blind curve), and I could feel the invisible mental waves of "oh, no!" emanating through his windshield. Maybe it was for my poor phone, or maybe for the lively string of words worthy of a sailor on shore leave bouncing off the trees, but as soon as I picked up the phone and saw it was perfectly fine, thanks to a great cover and the broken holder's soft plastic spiderweb grips around the edge of the phone, I gave the patient driver a relieved thumbs up, and moved my bike off the road so that he could continue.

That was the rattle sound, folks. The newish 3 week old holder in the process of breaking. Now, for some odd reason I had fortunately tucked the old phone holder in my panniers and had been carrying it around for the past week or so. As the pieces of the broken holder were tossed in the pannier, the old holder was retrieved and reinstalled back to the place of honor on the handlebar. The phone was set back in place, and the charging cord plugged back in.

Two issues resolved. One to go.

2 miles further I was within spitting distance of Middleburg, and the squeak was getting more obnoxious by the second. So as soon as I entered the town I made a quick right onto a side road, and pedaled about 100 feet to the repair shop of my mechanic, Matt. We have known each other for decades, nigh on 30 years, back when neither of us had gray hair, unlike now. Everyone, and I mean this seriously, everyone in Middleburg adores the guy. He can fix any car, any truck, and does it all with the gentlest, sweetest, most calming smile and manners anywhere. Without a doubt he is the Best. Mechanic. Ever.

I pulled in, called out for him, and as he popped up out from under a car in for repair, I asked if he had any spray lube. He said yes and his helper, Rick, immediately went and grabbed a can. Neither asked me what it was for - they just trusted that I needed it or I wouldn't have asked. I gave the contact points of the pedal's spindle a quick shot of the spray lube, and ... voilà! The squeak was gone!

The third - and hopefully last, if the magic number is to be trusted - incident had been resolved.

Of course my appearance to the shop on my bike led to both gentlemen asking copious questions about the electric bike, and to really look it over. Rick was looking for a better way to travel the 7 miles to work each day, and he was super interested in every feature of the Vado. They both finally had to get back to work, but I will stop in later this week with some electric bike literature for Rick.

The final miles home were cycled in blissfull silence, the motor humming so softly under me I could barely hear it even though I could feel it's strong effortless power, the pedal completely silent as it turned rhythmically, just it should, and my old phone carrier doing an outstanding job in not only capably carrying my phone on the handbar, but doing so without a peep or a rattle.

It was heaven.

And as if the day was apologizing for my suffering three bicycle trials and tribulations during my ride, here is what I'm enjoying right now... a sunset that is simply ....magic.

IMG_20200615_205234967_copy_1008x756.jpg

Attachments

• 0615201127a_copy_896x538.jpg
    0615201127a_copy_896x538.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Back