2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I saw a guy on an extremely fast S-Works mountain bike - with loads of shock absorbers on every angle of that bike's lithe frame - go flying past on my paved road. Before I could blink he was 1/4 mile up the road, pedaling like he'd had 5 Red Bulls to drink for breakfast. He went up our hill at about 70mph, and had hit the gravel road on the other side before I'd gotten 100 yards down the road.
During our 70-mile Saturday ride, I could spot many road cyclists riding expensive bikes (no S-Works but several Specialized ones were to be seen). On the 92th kilometre, I spotted a rider who sat opposite to eat a banana. Judging by his looks and subtle accent details (he spoke perfect Polish) I could determine he was rather not born on the River Vistula ;) He rode a fancy Giant "aero road-bike" that must cost him as much as a very good e-bike. How jealous I was I would not able to ride such a bike anymore...

1591649645013.png

Here is a route plan I worked out for the weekend, provided there wouldn't be a thunderstorm on Saturday or Sunday. That's a 90+ kilometre ride called "In The Very Centre of Poland". I was explicit to my brother Jacek I wouldn't hear about "metric centuries", "70-milers" or "imperial centuries" anymore 🤣 The ride is going to be interesting and give me a chance to stop for taking photos. Łęczyca and Tum sport a lot of Romanesque architecture (especially the ancient church in Tum where the devil Boruta left marks of his claws on the wall), Piątek ("Friday"), which is the geometrical centre of Poland as well as numerous manor houses and palaces collectively known as "Castles of the Łódź Land". I'm excited! If only the weather allows...

Just a quick trip over Nose Hill in Calgary, Alberta. Weather was threatening, but only a few drops. In the distance you can see the Rockies and nearer the Ski jumps that Eddie the Eagle made famous in 1988.

Attachments

• 20200608_161308.jpg
    20200608_161308.jpg
    599.9 KB · Views: 310
Beautiful mountain scenery... tell us a bit about your bike?

View attachment 54867
2011 Electra Townie with a Bionx kit. Still works ok but SOC no longer works. I've done all the recalibration tricks and have had it into the shop. Still go from a fully charged battery to.a SOC of zero in 200 metres. Today's ride was 25km, but range anxiety kicks in at about 30.

2011 Electra Townie with a Bionx kit. Still works ok but SOC no longer works. I've done all the recalibration tricks and have had it into the shop.
Still go from a fully charged battery to.a SOC of zero in 200 metres. Today's ride was 25km, but range anxiety kicks in at about 30.

Thanks for sharing... sounds like you start every trip with a full battery and then keep on truckin' ;)

Thanks for sharing... sounds like you start every trip with a full battery and then keep on truckin' ;)
Yup, recharge pretty well after every ride other than short trips to the store to get important things like beer....

I use the trip odometer as my gauge. If I'm heading out for anything that could be extra battery usage (windy, long or extra hilly), I make sure load my bike rack into my wife's car so she can come get me, as she doesn't like to drive mine.

Time for some bridge maintenance …

Sometimes our cycling infrastructure has to be disrupted for maintenance but what happens when the bridge is the only safe link between north and south and has over 500,000 users per year? Here's one answer…

2020-06-05-091849-a-2400-gb10.jpg

Jim Soorley Bikeway, Brisbane
There was, of course, a story behind this solution to traffic diversion when the only bridge across a tidal mangrove-lined creek had to have its deck replaced.

The Works Department saw no problem: close the bridge for a month and divert cyclists along a major commuter route!

Outrage, spirited discourse, calms discussion and, eventually, this compromise followed. Heath Robinson would have approved.

It's quite fun, actually… especially if your ebike has walk assist.

Yet another nice day for a ride, unfortunately cycling time was limited today but I made the most of it! Rain is coming tomorrow but only for 1 day thankfully, so it will be my rest day! ;) Still no news of a return to work but its looking like our lockdown will be eased further late next week so my midweek rides might be coming to an end soon! It sure was fun while it lasted but who knows it may continue for a while yet...

1591715280047.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile154.jpg
    elevation_profile154.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 287
  • trip-50446322-map-full71.png
    trip-50446322-map-full71.png
    423.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 20200609_112414.jpg
    20200609_112414.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 300
  • 20200609_112443.jpg
    20200609_112443.jpg
    680.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 20200609_122046.jpg
    20200609_122046.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 20200609_122048.jpg
    20200609_122048.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 20200609_122051.jpg
    20200609_122051.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 20200609_122110.jpg
    20200609_122110.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 20200609_122139.jpg
    20200609_122139.jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 311
  • 20200609_122201.jpg
    20200609_122201.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 20200609_122223.jpg
    20200609_122223.jpg
    712 KB · Views: 307
  • 20200609_122648.jpg
    20200609_122648.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 290
  • 20200609_122653.jpg
    20200609_122653.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 20200609_122719.jpg
    20200609_122719.jpg
    761 KB · Views: 297
I promised to David to report on the Sony RX100 VII camera. I got it together with a (separately ordered) leather jacket-case so I could carry the camera safely on my neck for the whole ride. If no extra jacket-case, the camera itself is easily pocketable and it comes with a wrist-strap. The camera with the battery and an SD card weighs 302 g, and it is 415 g together with the case (it's less than a pound).

1591721206680.png

The camera is tiny and easily fits the palm.

1591721404152.png

Because of the small camera size, handling of the tiny buttons and dials is not the easiest one. It is, however, very easy to "set & forget" the settings to be able to just point & shoot on the ride. The buttons and dials are firm. The AF is very impressive because (if not set otherwise) it works continuously, similarly to how smartphones work, is very fast and can be locked by tapping the touch sensitive LCD screen.

1591721829818.png

The camera has been designed as a true pocketable one. It features an electronic OLED viewfinder as well as a tiny flash. Each or both can pop up from the camera body. The ring on the lens offers multiple choices, from operating the zoom in the Auto mode to setting the aperture in the Manual mode. It can probably serve the MF purpose as well but I have not tried it out yet. An interesting feature is the Sport mode, which is a combination of Continuous AF and Burst mode for continuous shooting: It should be fairly easy to capture a riding cyclist.

1591722620529.png

The camera in its operating state. The zoom covers the equivalent of 24-200 mm focal length at f/2.8-4.5, which is impressive for such a small body. With all honesty, the camera operates with the f/4-4.5 for most of the lens focal lengths. The f/2.8 is only available at the wide end.

1591722924388.png

As for an out-of-camera JPG, the image quality even at ISO 3200 is very good. With rainy and dull days, it is not easy to find attractive photo subjects now. I will test the camera in real life on a future ride, when the weather conditions allow it. The camera offers the Sony ARW (RAW) format, which is not convenient for me, so I prefer staying at shooting JPG.

1591724358367.png

Let's wait for a ride!

Shakedown Cruise

Yesterday’s adventures were: 1. Get back on my bike after many months of not able to use it; find out if I retained fitness enough to make a ride. 2. Try out my companion’s brand new Riese and Muller Vario as first time transition from her e-trike. She had not ridden this bicycle since taking it home from the dealer three months ago.

Mission accomplished. Not without both parties experiencing some trepidation about what would happen.

What a day to be out riding! Weather perfection comes in many flavors and this was one of them. Call it vanilla. The launch was at Edwards Ferry, upstream on the Potomac some thirty miles above Washington, DC. First leg to use the towpath of the C&O canal to reach Whites Ferry. The US Park Service had in recent years converted this few miles of trail from a muddy, rutted sad remnant of the towpath to a smoothly almost paved-like surface. There would be nothing to interrupt our exploration of our bikes, no cars of course, or anything else of concern. Interestingly, we noted an unusual number of cyclists on the towpath—unusual because this was an ordinary week-day. Must be the Corona lifestyle effect.

Here, I should report that neither of us experienced difficulties riding, and instead were joyful in the experience along this delightful stretch. It was all level through mostly woods with occasional views of the river off to the left. Not so grandly scenic as we often see from photos from the contributors here on EBR, but still worthy as exceptional cycling.

We found a picnic table for our sandwiches that overlooked the General Jubal Early ferry hauling cars across the Potomac between Maryland and Virginia. We considered going across ourselves, but decided to stick with the plan to return to our car via a remote road through the Montgomery County Agricultural Reserve.

Now this became another kind of bicycling. Farmland. Packed gravel. Vistas of early-growing crops that extended way over to the Virginia palisade along the Potomac. Wooded stretches. Only one car crept past us the whole way, its dust wafting off to the side. As a city slicker I was taken by the crops that we only see in supermarkets. Growing right there beside us. I had to take a picture of some “bountiful wave of grain” that existed only in imagination. What is this? Wheat? Oats? Rye? We city slickers are so ignorant.
Shakedown Trip-0778.jpg
Shakedown Trip-0781.jpg
Shakedown Trip-0783.jpg
Shakedown Trip-0784.jpg
Shakedown Trip-0772.jpg
Shakedown Trip-0775.jpg

On return to the car, we had covered fewer than a dozen miles. I was happy to note that months lacking pedaling exercise wasn’t debilitating. Well, even though this whole foray had been over level ground, I was a bit tired. Not too bad, I convinced myself. My companion nicely “mastered” bicycling while becoming acquainted with the complications of ECO-TURBO along with variable ratios of gears.

The old ways …
2020-05-25-104443-2400gb10-aa.jpg

Old Government House, Brisbane
I was told to push, not ride, my ebike around Old Government House. Would the original residents have minded? In the early 1860s, would they have seen a bicycle?

In 1859 Queensland separated from New South Wales and became Queen Victoria's latest colonial possession.

The NSW Resident was no longer needed and was sent packing without a thank you or a pension. The poor man, both figuratively and literally!

In came Sir George Bowen – definitely not the people's representative. He had been dispatched to the new colony to represent the Sovereign, Victoria, and the former Resident's residence – a beautiful home set in Brisbane's finest location – was clearly inadequate for even a temporary stay.

A new, and cripplingly expensive, Government House had to be built. It was not just a home but a venue for pageantry and pomp (and balls!). No expense was too great… to quibble would have been to insult the Queen. The people of the colony were her subjects and it was their duty to care for her representatives.

By all accounts, the Bowens were a thoroughly pleasant couple; it's just a pity that an equally competent, but untitled, Resident had not been allowed to continue. A nineteenth century exercise in corporate restructuring?

• The bunya pine (left of photo) was planted in 1861.
  • The modern buildings beyond Sir George and Lady Bowen's home are part of the Queensland University of Technology.
  • Link to more information.

2020-05-25-ogh-map-x.jpg

Location of Old Government House
X marks camera position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's ride was 42km and included a short, sad, stop to console a very longtime dear friend who's cat was killed last night. Social distancing be damned, the man needed a hug! Yesterday's picture had the Rockies off to the west, and today's photo is in the same direction but a little lower down towards the Bow River, which was my destination. I do suppose I need to install something like Strava to map my route.

Also, I often ride alone and when I do, I use BT earbuds and listen to audiobooks. I am currently enjoyed Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole novel, "the Thirst". I keep the volume as low as I can so as to aware of my surroundings as I do spend some time on roads too.

Attachments

• 20200609_120123.jpg
    20200609_120123.jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 292
Today's ride was 42km and included a short, sad, stop to console a very longtime dear friend who's cat was killed last night. Social distancing be damned, the man needed a hug! Yesterday's picture had the Rockies off to the west, and today's photo is in the same direction but a little lower down towards the Bow River, which was my destination. I do suppose I need to install something like Strava to map my route.

Also, I often ride alone and when I do, I use BT earbuds and listen to audiobooks. I am currently enjoyed Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole novel, "the Thirst". I keep the volume as low as I can so as to aware of my surroundings as I do spend some time on roads too.
We were not so far apart today, my ride took me 30 km along the "Little Bow" south of you, fantastic day for a ride with little wind and moderate temps

When winter comes to the South Pacific …
2020-06-05-114403-2400-gb10.jpg

Scarborough, Queensland
It was just before midday when I reached Scarborough: time to turn around even though the coastal bikeway beckoned.

With the winter solstice not too far away, the sun was low resulting in sparkling waters and long shadows stretching southward.

Last edited by a moderator:
A nice run up to the Lebanon/Mascoma Lake area of New Hampshire yesterday to ride some of the Northern Rail Trail with my brother as he continues to break in his new Trek Checkpoint. He can ride right off the side of his lawn through a little break in the trees and be on the rail trail, right at the top of the lake. It's a beautiful trail, extremely popular near the Lebanon end. I have never seen so many ebikes anywhere, either! Next trip up we're going to cover a lot more of the 57 or so miles the trail runs.

IMG_3738.jpeg

Nice cool section through this rock cut.

IMG_3740.jpeg

IMG_3739.jpeg

Down in Lebanon, right off the trail, people are eating in the outside restaurants again. Very nice Trek/Specialized dealer right off this picture, Omer and Bob's, where Paul got the new Trek a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_3732.jpeg

Back