2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
The things we see on our rides!
View attachment 53759
Brightview, Queensland
If your ebike were overtaken by one of these, you might be off to the undertaker!

I suspect this giraffe tractor was on its way to spread around some growth-inducing, pest-reducing chemicals.

I had pulled over to the other side of the road to take the shed photo below when this odd bod announced its approach with an asthmatic wheeze accompanied by a tyre rumble equal to that of a whole peloton of road-going eMTBs.
Holy C**p! That looks like one of the Decepticons from Transformers! 😲 :eek::oops:

Almost a river crossing …
View attachment 54262
Brisbane River, Colleges Crossing

At Colleges Crossing the entire flow of the Brisbane River is reduced to a trickle between this island and the left bank…

View attachment 54268
Brisbane River reduced to a trickle.

On the other side of the small island (lower photo taken on the causeway) the river has run dry…

View attachment 54261
About 50 metres to left of first photo.
View attachment 54269
You take some beautiful pictures,

Another lovely local ride today, I never get bored of these roads and I have ridden them for over 50 years! Siesta time for the locals! ;) Except the beautiful white one which was waiting patiently for a partner to go for a trot!:D
View attachment 54380

Just over 32 miles in darkening skies with very little wind, I did actually get a little rain near the end of my ride but not even enough to get wet! I was very lucky indeed as just after I returned home the heavens opened (this was supposed to happen after 1pm but arrived 2 hours early):rolleyes: Some days you get lucky and this was my day!;)

View attachment 54387
Call me ignorant but I never knew that horses rested sitting down. 😆

Really Fast Roads, Really Pretty Scenery, and Really, Really Big Clouds

Today was the day the new microwave was going to be installed. Darling Son was planning on coming over to help his Dad in the afternoon, and I was happy to make myself scarce by being elsewhere. Which meant preferably riding my bike on a pleasant road somewhere in another county. Let the two boys work and do their male bonding thing, I decided. I'll come back when it is all said and done...as long as it happens before the forecasted afternoon thunderstorms materialize.

Luckily, the late morning was halfway pleasant. Halfway because the humidity was already at 90%, and the oppressive heat on the rise. The thunderstorms last night, however, had settled the dust, the pollen, and had washed everything brand spank'n clean. Even the mountains looked like their colors were brighter and more intense. It was aiming to be a beautiful day for a ride, and I was aiming to take full advantage of that...aim.

Map-6-5-2020.jpg

I hopped on the Vado simply because it was the type of day to do some paved roads as there was too great a chance - if the debris littering our property by virtue of the fierce line of thunderstorms and raging winds that blew through last night was any indication - that the gravel roads were going to be trashed with tree branches and tree limbs...or worse, downed trees themselves, not to mention washouts from the heavy downpours.

0605201047_copy_876x552.jpg

The paved roads, in the other hand, escaped most of the ravages on the storm, except for a section of Rt. 50 within spitting distance of where I needed to cross in order to get into the lower county. A traffic control person was allowing only one lane of traffic through at a time, so I patiently waited until they blocked the westbound traffic and then I took off westbound with the westbound lane all to myself. I gleefully rode right in the middle of the lane of this major highway, proud as punch with myself, grinning from ear to ear for "owning the road" so boldly even if was for only a short 1/4 mile.

A left turn onto the country roads, and it was time for some sightseeing and quality pedal time.

0605201051_copy_896x359.jpg

The view from the cockpit was so pretty that I almost ran off the road twice because I was too busy looking at the scenery and ignoring the road itself. You would think by now - after all the rides I've been enjoying on these roads - that I'd be used to the scenery by now. Apparently not.

0605201107_copy_672x703.jpg

The "Rona" had put the kabosh on every graduating class for 2020, so this was the socially distanced way everyone was congratulating the poor grads who were missing out on all the (now cancelled) celebrations. it is going to be interesting to see how history records all the worldwide disruptions of 2020. I feel really badly for the kids who had to miss out on walking on stage to be awarded their diplomas.

0605201109_copy_672x633.jpg

A mid-west prairie windmill decorating a Virginia windblown field. I had never noticed this windmill before, probably because the mill wasn't moving despite the best efforts of the wind. It looked like it may have actually been used once, long ago, for pumping water, but clearly that was no longer the case in 2020.

0605201109a_copy_928x430.jpg

An old family cemetery by the side of the road. These little cemeteries can be spotted now and again in the countryside, not too often as many were left unattended and overgrown when a family died out or moved away. In some cases they are still maintained by either family, if the deed of the land didn't convey the burial ground, or by the landowners in residence. This one looked well kept. The oblisk in the center had "FATHER" scribed on the base. I'm sure there was a name and dates to go with that information, but those were hidden on the far side and not privy to the eyes of any passerby. However, it was obvious that Dad, whoever he had been in life, had been well loved and respected by his family. A nice testament we should all strive for, I suppose, if we want an oblisk for our own one day.

0605201122_copy_616x745.jpg

The Blue Ridge Mountains showing off their choice of summer blue colors today. I was very impressed by the determination of the sky competing in the category of "who has the bluest blue". It was a toss up between mountains and sky. I had to give equal credit to both for their creative use of the ranges and hues of blues in their palettes. The thistles in the field weren't even in the running. They were a lively purple with a bit too much red mixed into the blue.

0605201129_copy_672x565.jpg

The big puffy white clouds, looking as if they had been painted by the inspired hand of Bob Ross, kept me smiling for miles. They were simply wonderful to watch play their creative game of charades as I peddled along, each cloud swiftly changing from one imagined shape to another. At one point I noticed this one cloud had suddenly formed the shape of a cyclist hunched over his handlebars, his bike tilted upwards as if it was climbing a mountain on the Tour de France. It was so unusual and unique that I stopped to retrieve my camera to take a photo, but before I could take the shot, the cloud had erased the cyclist and was in the midst of recreating something entirely different.

0605201206_copy_896x538.jpg

There were ample moments to take in the full sky, and I was more than up to the opportunity to simply stop and gaze in awe upwards. I gotta tell ya - these were some Really Big Clouds. Soft and white and lyrical. These were clouds to inspire the paintbrushes of the Grand Masters, the pens of the great writers and poets, and the photographers for lifting the lens of their cameras heavenward. Clouds of the like to inspire the child within us all, no matter how old we may be, to lie back on a soft patch of grass and simply watch all above float overhead on an invisible current of air, changing shape and color and depth at a mere whim, sparing no thoughts of the past and offering no expectations for the future other than to simply...be.

I think I could have stood there all day, watching those gently drifting, hypnotizing precursors of an incoming storm, but my meteorological background prodded me to get a move on because the building clouds, while looking so angelic in their soft innocent white, were going to turn dark and violent with copious thunder and lightning soon enough. Not yet, but soon.

0605201148_copy_546x896_copy_488x294.jpg

Decisions, decisions. I love this sign. It probably has to be my favorite because it teases the mind even as it tickles the funny bone. To wit: this will probably be the closest I will ever get to the real Paris, for whom this local Paris had been named. Not that I'll ever bike to "local" Paris because the road there is good only for cars. Not for cyclists. I'll just be content to have fun with the sign and keep it at that.

0605201134_copy_842x292.jpg

The view surrounding Upperville. An artistic masterpiece in greens, golds, and blues, with just a bit of ocre and burnt sienna.

0605201224_copy_1115x376.jpg

Making hay while the sun shines. I believe these rolls in my neighbor's fields will be going out to the Mid-West for the feedlot cattle. Everyone is racing to get their hay cut, dried, fluffed, and baled before the summer thunderstorms hit (again). Some, like this guy, are successful. Some aren't, and their compromised hay will end up going to the construction companies for their projects.

0605201230_copy_549x810.jpg

Taking a chance on a local gravel road taking me home that it won't be full of windblown debris from last night. I was lucky - it wasn't. But if the sound of buzzing chainsaws reverberating through the countryside was any indication, quite a few properties and roads didn't manage to get off scott-free. There was going to be a lot of firewood being stacked and/or sold this winter.

Rolled up the driveway and arrived home to find the new microwave had been successfully installed, and son and hubby ready for a modicum of well deserved praise. Duely noted and given.

An excellent day all around.

Last edited:
Magpies paying homage to my ebike …
2020-06-05-101323-2400-gb10.jpg

Australian magpies, Gymnorhina tibicen
Magpies have a well-established love–hate relationship with cyclists. Winter is the season of love; how different it will be in spring!

This is probably the only photo I'll ever post in which the Homage actually appears to be 'deep sea blue', its claimed colour. (Grubby by RabH's standards!)
It is still amusing me David the Australian driving rules are British.
And one more thing…

Follow where the brake cables go after crossing behind the handlebar bag: the left cable disappears into the down tube on its way to the rear wheel; the right cable runs down to the front wheel. It's the same on my Trek Powerfly 5 and Dean Randonneur.

Now, go check your collection of ebikes.

Took me 4 days to truly get it. Last Saturday, I rode my 17-year old analogue bike 12 miles on a hilly loop with my perennial backpacking/adventure buddy who has a Trek e-bike. I lost momentum in 1st gear at the end of a steep and had to get off and walk. I gave it everything I had. My thighs were burning, the soft tissues in my groin area were spasming, my heart was pounding, and he was kind enough to walk and talk with me, as I recovered for the rest of our otherwise epic ride. Monday afternoon, I purchased my own 1st e-bike, without ever having ridden an e-bike before. I rode that smile machine Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday after work. Rode 21.0 miles this evening of hills and rolling flats, unfortunately by myself, but perhaps because of riding alone, I had a personal cycling epiphany. I may be an e-bike Nube. But, I’m now an e-biker. Here are my notes from tonight’s ride:

“I definitely took the Matrix red pill this evening, I’ve freed my mind, and I’m now an e-biker. The epiphany happened on my 21.0 mile ride today. I was riding into the wind with a storm coming in on a gentle uphill stretch riding on ECO level 1. I realized I could maintain the same body energy output and cadence but ride in Level 2—and go faster. I had plenty of battery. Why not? Bam! The true world of e-bike possibilities flashed before my eyes. I now no longer think biking in any of the power modes is cheating. It‘s cycling, and for a much less than elite cyclist like me, it might even be better cycling.

For the rest of the ride, I worked my derailleur with my right hand, and the power switch with my left. Most of the time I maintained a steady energy output with the derailleur, but several times I did it with the power button. A couple of times I worked both thumbs almost simultaneously. And it was smooth! I don’t think I’ve ever had such a consistent ride in my life, although there were several hills that took a lot of extra effort. And there was one monster steep 3/4-1 mile climb towards the end which was definitely a challenge to be conquered in turbo and in 1st-2nd gear, took everything I had in me to maintain 5.5-6.2 mph. Stretched my legs and took a drink at the summit, marveling at what I’d just accomplished. A week ago I couldn’t have done that climb on my other bike. Wouldn’t even have tried.“

No photos to share. Just my exhilaration and joy.

@Recontra - Congrats on the new bike, the new smile, and the red pill experience into the Better Alternative. Next time - pictures (please).

I've already decided the next person that says I'm cheating I'm going to reply "Pirate" in the same tone of voice as one would say the word "Duh". Wonder if they will get the reference....

Last edited:
Share the bikeway …
2020-06-01-123856-2400-gb10.jpg

Bicentennial Bikeway, Toowong, Brisbane
The old and the new: those who know their brakes and gears shifters will be able to tell them apart.

The Bicentennial Bikeway connects Brisbane Central with the University of Queensland and the western suburbs. There is an superior cycleway on the opposite bank of the river – not surprising, since the bicentenary (of setting up a convict settlement!) was thirty-two years ago.

“I definitely took the Matrix red pill this evening, I’ve freed my mind, and I’m now an e-biker. The epiphany happened on my 21.0 mile ride today. I was riding into the wind with a storm coming in on a gentle uphill stretch riding on ECO level 1. I realized I could maintain the same body energy output and cadence but ride in Level 2—and go faster. I had plenty of battery. Why not? Bam! The true world of e-bike possibilities flashed before my eyes. I now no longer think biking in any of the power modes is cheating. It‘s cycling, and for a much less than elite cyclist like me, it might even be better cycling.

For the rest of the ride, I worked my derailleur with my right hand, and the power switch with my left. Most of the time I maintained a steady energy output with the derailleur, but several times I did it with the power button. A couple of times I worked both thumbs almost simultaneously. And it was smooth! I don’t think I’ve ever had such a consistent ride in my life, although there were several hills that took a lot of extra effort. And there was one monster steep 3/4-1 mile climb towards the end which was definitely a challenge to be conquered in turbo and in 1st-2nd gear, took everything I had in me to maintain 5.5-6.2 mph. Stretched my legs and took a drink at the summit, marveling at what I’d just accomplished. A week ago I couldn’t have done that climb on my other bike. Wouldn’t even have tried.“ No photos to share. Just my exhilaration and joy.

Congratulations and welcome to the EBike club on EBR. Love your comparison with the Matrix... ;)

1591462306553.png

Just my neighbor and myself noodling around on the gravel roads. She on her Vado, me on my LaFree. No real destination, no real agenda except for getting out early to beat the oppressive humidity. And the heat. Maybe do about 25 miles, if the gawdawful weather conditions would allow it. This was a "pedal and gossip" ride, punctuated by texts from her realtor regarding a house my neighbor had wanted to put an offer on, but was already under contract.

While we were riding, realtor texted and said contract just fell through and house was back in market. Switch from us randomly noodling around our local countryside to homeward-bound-in-turbo-mode to get back in time to get a tour of the house (two thumbs up) and neighbor to head to realtor's office to write up a contract.

Hence, a mere 19 miles ridden, and possibly a house purchase. No pics from today as we were:

a. Busy talking
b. Not wanting to stop because you would instantly die from the heat and humidity
c. Not inclined to taks pics of overexposed scenery in washed out white thanks to the dreadful humidity.
d. Busy riding

Did I mention it was really, really, really humid? And hot? In case you missed that...

20200606_180721_copy_724x724.jpg

20200606_183730.jpg

Last edited:
Back