2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Assuming you took the front wheel off, was it easy enough or did you wish the through axle had been a quick release with drop outs? The only reason we got a bike carrier for our car was because I thought the Vado's front wheel would be a pain to get off, and to put back on so that the disk brake was set in correctly.
It turned out to be quite the opposite! The thru-axles are an easy thing. It is fairly easy to manage the reassembly of the front wheel since there are some "sockets" around the holes (cannot find a better word) at the ends of the fork. So you replace the wheel and quickly replace the axle through the hub. The initial rotation of the axle to tighten it can be even done with bare fingers. Of course, it is good to carry the torque wrench with you as you are sure you wouldn't destroy the thread on the final bolt tightening (it is 15 Nm for the Vado). The brake rotor fits ideally and the operation is a no-brainer; that would be nice to have someone with you to help you but I do it on my own even if I'm not mechanically gifted.

Replacing the QR/dropouts wheel is a painful action for me precisely because it is harder to fit the brake's rotor between the brake pads. With the thru-axle, the operation is easy, so precise the system is.

Besides, no perfect saddle exists in this vale of tears. As good as the Selle Royal eZone is, the derriere still hurts during the ride! I have greater hopes with the Ergon GP3 grips for the Vado (it sports shorter horns for 3 fingers only while the GP5 is for five fingers).

The Vado seems to be a short-distance runner for me. The reason is that steed loves to be ridden fast (to be in the full gallop as you might say). I cannot help myself and spin the pedals furiously while riding the Vado; that makes me tired quite soon. The Lovelec, being the Good Ole Mule lets me travel distances at slower pace with less effort if we are talking the battery conserving matter. Still, my 64 km ride left 18% in the Vado's battery.

Ah, why not to use the bike carrier in my case? The EU requires the rear/stop lights as well as a duplicate of the registration plate at the carrier. My old car as good as it is neither has the towbar nor the electrical repeater. Too much hassle for me.

It turned out to be quite the opposite! .... With the thru-axle, the operation is easy, so precise the system is.
Thank you. That is refreshing to know.

...no perfect saddle exists in this vale of tears.
Even with horses, the saddle (of which there are literally hundreds of makers out there, and hundreds of styles for the many different types of riding sports, and numerous material from classic leather to synthetic) is such a personal matter that one saddle may be beloved by one person, hated by another. I've friends that have honestly spent thousands of $$$$ trying to find the right saddle to fit both them and their horse. Equine saddles of good quality are not cheap, and sometimes can cost more than the horse itself. And to add insult to injury (as the saying goes) no one saddle will fit multiple horses (except a treeless saddle). One's favorite saddle for one horse may be hated by another horse. And when a horse dislikes something, the rider will "be informed" right quick about it!

Fortunately, with a bike, one has only one entity to worry about regarding saddle comfort - the rider - and the process of looking and trying out is considerably less costly.

That said, you need to search further, try other saddles. Don't settle on being sore as acceptable - it may eventually affect your desire to ride at all.

The EU requires the rear/stop lights as well as a duplicate of the registration plate at the carrier. My old car as good as it is neither has the towbar nor the electrical repeater. Too much hassle for me.

Good to know. There are no restrictions here on vehicle bicycle carriers in my state. Obscuring a vehicle's license plate might be an issue in some states, but simply moving the plate into view elsewhere is generally the preferred option.

I have hitches on both our truck (naturally), and the hybrid (Prius), but not my electric car (Leaf). I was going to put a hitch on the Leaf (once the pandemic was over), but knowing the process for releasing/replacing the front wheel on the Vado is a simpler matter than for the LaFree (dropouts and QR) might tempt me to carry the Vado inside the Leaf instead of using the rack on the Prius.

I love to read your equestrian stories, Flora! That's perhaps because my only contact with the horse was riding our uncle's Kary bareback once when I was a young kid and I'm jealous of something I couldn't really experience and which is so interesting.

Regarding the bike saddle selection, I need to repeat the words of Jerome K. Jerome:

"Then there are saddles," I went on--I wished to get this lesson home to him. "Can you think of any saddle ever advertised that you have not tried?"

He said: "It has been an idea of mine that the right saddle is to be found."

I said: "You give up that idea; this is an imperfect world of joy and sorrow mingled. There may be a better land where bicycle saddles are made out of rainbow, stuffed with cloud; in this world the simplest thing is to get used to something hard."

:D

By the way! I had read your story about the enduro equestrians standing in their stirrups. I've got the lesson; sometimes I ride standing on my pedals!

When I look at the beautiful pictures on this thread I had to send the first sign of spring in southern Alberta

For us it's the first sign of autumn – browning of the grass. The good news is that the cooler weather is far pleasanter for cycling. Winter can't come soon enough!

2020-04-20-hills-rd-1aaa-ebr.jpg

Borallon, QLD

2020-04-27-map-a-ebr.jpg

@Stefan Mikes -
I tend to believe Jerome is wrong. The right saddle can be found. One just needs to focus on what makes a saddle comfortable, and not be dissuaded from searching.

Case in point: (and here we go again for which I apologize profusely) For decades (beginning in my early 20s) I rode (equestrian) in treed saddles (saddles created on a wooden/metal frame with the idea that a saddle needed a lifted channel to stay off the horse's spine which is right below the surface of the skin on the back with literally no muscle over it to protect it). I hunted, jumped, rode dressage, and all throughout encountered and suffered saddle sores that, if I rode too often, became open wounds. My horses, such stoic creatures, bless their sweet hearts, suffered from trees too narrow, too wide, saddles not conformed to their backs even though they were fitted by a professional saddle fitter, and that showed up as eventual white hair from the skin cells being damaged by pressure from points of the saddle. (Look at any old masters paintings of horses centuries ago - often those horses are shown with white spots on their backs where the saddle sits - that is actually the physical damage shown from poorly fitted saddles.)

The search for a comfortable saddle was endless, relentless, expensive, and discouraging. I kept looking at treed saddles because that's what was available at the time, and that was what is historically correct for the sport.

It wasn't until I began competing in endurance (in my mid 40s) that I found that small discomfort over a short distance became major discomfort over long distances. I had a $4k saddle I used as my best option, but I was still paying huge sums of money to the vet for accupuncture for my horse after every competition. I simply took pain killers for myself because walking after a 50 mile endurance ride was a bit painful, and bought the tub size of Destin (a healing salve used for diaper rash in babies) for my saddle sores. This went on for the first 3 years in this sport.

It was the mantra of every endurance rider that treeless was the best option for distance riding if one wanted comfort for the partnership of both horse and rider. The treeless came about because of the efforts of riders in this sport to find a better option, a pain free solution. Treed saddles just didn't work. I listened to what the top international riders had to say, and what they searched for and how they worked with saddle makers to develop just the right combination of treeless and semi-treed.

It was interesting to me, but it didn't hit home until one day a friend of mine (who had come over to my farm to ride out with me) let me borrow her newly purchased treeless saddle to try out after we'd returned from our ride. Because it had no rigid frame, it used soft packing to achieve a lifted spine channel. It was so soft it moulded itself to the horse's shape, and to the rider's as well. It certainly felt different, but in short order very comfortable. I had just mounted up while my friend stood on the ground and watched, and I asked my horse for a trot. He took about two strides, and suddenly he lengthened his stride to a huge floating gait. My mouth about dropped open. Never had I felt a stride like this. It was amazing. I rode back to my friend with the biggest grin, and we talked for a bit before I put my old (expensive) saddle back on my horse and asked him for a trot, just to see if what happened under the treeless saddle was a fluke.

HIS transformation said it all. His ears immediately flattened in anger, his gait became pinched and short, and I felt like I was sitting on a jackhammer. He was NOT happy. Gone was the fluid, open, free stride. He had never shown any anger with his tack before, but I guess when he realized that a saddle didn't have to hurt, he was suddenly no longer willing to tolerate the pain of the treed saddle. He had always been mannerly and tractable, but now? No way. He told me VERY clearly he was not going to tolerate a treed saddle anymore.

I got off that expensive saddle, pulled out my cell phone while my friend stood next to me grinning, and I called the company that had made my friend's treeless. I ordered one to be shipped immediately. I didn't ride my horse again until that saddle was delivered. As a result that saddle paid for itself in no time as I saved a fortune in no longer having to have my horse need acupuncture as his back was no longer sore. I never again suffered from saddle sores, ever, and no longer needed the pain pills during or after the rides. He and I were both painfree for the first time in our lives, and mutually enjoyed over a decade of successful endurance competition. And all it took was the right saddle. I went on to purchase higher quality treeless saddles over the years, and that is all I will ride in now. All the treed saddles were sold.

Moral of the story - you need to keep looking. Don't be discouraged, don't settle for painful. Keep trying out different saddles. A saddle should not hurt. It took me a while, and lots of trials on different bike saddles, before I found the one style/type that allows me to ride a metric century in absolute comfort. Yes, I did have to toughen up the "old lady rear end", but that was swiftly accomplished because I had a good comfortable saddle under me already.

What you need is out there. Don't let anyone convince you there isn't. Just keep looking.

Last edited:
I live right on the edge of the longest sand dune/pine forest beach in England and practically no one visits in the week.
Ive lived here for 20 years and still find new trails.
Its just stunning to ride through.

If you are going to fall off, do it in sand! Falling off in that water wouldn't have been much fun! ;) Excellent video!:)

If you live in the Vancouver area I recommend a 50km 3 bridge loop. Riding clockwise is more scenic. Start at the Colony farms or the Pitt River bridge , along the Southern dykes of Pitt Meadows then over the Golden Ears bridge , head West ( here there is a 1 km gap in the infrastructure) along 100A and North on 196th, then West along 101 Ave which becomes 197th St. and then 98b Ave. Cross under Golden Ears way to Telegraph Trail and head west along the Golden Ears bike pathway to 176th Ave. Head North and West through Tynehead Park. Take the Pedestrian overpass heading North to 168th Ave and follow the very well marked bike route to the Port Mann bridge . Cross the intersection at United Blvd and head East on the gravel road under the bridge. Turn North though the hidden underpass into Colony farms. If you started at the Pitt River continue through Colony farms over the pedestrian bridge across the Coquitlam river and head North. Cross at Shaughnessy St and continue along Argue street and along the dyke path and under the train overpass to arrive at your starting point near the Pitt River bridge.
1588192166556.png

Last edited:
Great Spring weather today. Rode through town to an old narrow paved road that was once the main route to remote mining camps. Everything was in bloom.

0429201551_Film1.jpg

California Poppies in a mine rock wall

0429201548_Film1_20200429192651971.jpg

Flowering Dogwood trees were everywhere

Just Stealing Time...

...for just a small break away, just the Vado and me together, just a pleasant amble down the paved road, just taking advantage of a rainfree day squeezed between many rainy days, just a plan to cruise around a small town and see what's happening (not much at the moment), and just enjoying the open air, open countryside, open roads.

Yup. That's a lotta justs.

And just so you can get a flavor of the day, we have just the perfect photos...and of course, just the right map, too.

So just sit back and enjoy.

20 mile bike ride Middleburg_copy_896x505.jpg

Just a quick preview of the ride down into Middleburg, Virginia, a very historic, very old (1700's something) town which sits just on the border of Loudoun County and Fauquier County. Generally, everything just below Rt. 50 is Fauquier County. Which is just gorgeous, as you'll soon see.

But before we head into Fauquier, we'll enjoy just a few photos from the Loudoun County part of our ride.

It would appear that someone is perhaps just a wee bit anxious to just have this hunt jump painted the standard basic black board fence color. Just a bit in a hurry, mind you, enough to use the orange paint and finish with the question mark. Just hilarious.
0429201101_copy_896x538.jpg

Just two weeks ago:
4-14-2020-photo12-reduced.jpg

Just a sign of the times: one of Middleburg's biggest Inns - Closed for the pandemic
0429201201_copy_896x1493.jpg

Middleburg is one of Northern Virginia's top "destination" towns. Resplendant with centuries old buildings, quaint (expensive!) shops, boundless quality eating establishments all named , in one way or another, after either the fox or the hunts that have predominated this area since the times when Gen. George Washington himself rode to his own private pack of hounds, it is generally a vibrant town in a gorgeous part of the state, well worth a visit.

As it was, the town was dead. Literally dead. Shops and restaurants, fully 90% of the town's businesses, were closed and shuttered. Virtually no traffic plied the main E-W highway (Rt. 50) that cruises down the centerline of the town. The Virginia commonwealth shutdown from the virus has reduced traffic to a mere trickle. The town's side roads were also silent, which was unusual. I had expected people to be out in their yards, in gardens, doing something around the house. But I saw...no one. If was if the entire town had shut and locked their doors simultaneously, and gone on vacation elsewhere. They certainly weren't here.

As my tour of the town of Middleburg had little to offer except lifeless houses and empty streets, I turned the Vado' s nose south to see what Fauquier County's roads had to offer.

Just crossing the County lines:
0429201133_copy_896x538.jpg

Just a friendly reminder to motorists of what to expect now that they were off the paved road and onto a gravel road. This ended up being just a delightful little gravel road running through the lands owned by the Middleburg Research Center - a part of the Virginia Tech University's agriculture and Veterinary programs. Sadly, there are not a lot of public gravel roads in the upper part of Fauquier County, most being owned by the huge estates here as private farm lanes. But what does exist is just charming, and quite delightful for an amble on a bike. My Vado was content to travel the gravel roads for me at my request, but doesn't quite embrace them like the LaFree (which has bigger tires and literally loves the gravel). Again, this was just a small, fun, little diversion in the loop back to Middleburg.
0429201122_copy_896x1493.jpg

Justifiably the biggest Hereford bull I've seen up close in a while. Well, not THAT close as he was resting in his paddock when I stopped to take a picture from the far side of the road. He eyeballed me for a moment, estimating the threat level, then slowly got up, just to give me a view of what he brought to the game. There was a lot of solid meat on them there bones, I'd reckon. He easily outweighed scrawney little ol' me by well over a ton, if not more, and his horns were longer than my bike. I respectfully stayed waaay over on the other side of the road, on the other side of my Vado which offered minimal physical protection but lots in the psychological department should that bull decide the fence was no formidable obsticle between me, him, and the bike. Deciding "exit, stage left" was more preferable at the moment vs. remaining center stage, I took just one hasty picture before riding off. He watched me leave with a "ya'all best be moving on" look, just as happy to see the back of me as I was the back of him.

Just so ya'all know, that four board fence is 5' high:
0429201128a_copy_925x668.jpg

Just looking down the gravel road bisecting the research center lands. There were cute little houses parked here and there alongside the road, keeping company with much larger farm sheds and barns. I guess these accommodations are just for the staff that take care of the animals (cattle and horses) in residence.
0429201130_copy_896x1493.jpg

Just looking over my shoulder at the vista along the gravel road:
0429201128_copy_896x538.jpg

Just ...don't!
0429201135_copy_858x928.jpg

On the way home from Middleburg, just a bit of a warning that you really really REALLY need to turn, right now, just this second as this bridge just ends...unless you feel you just need to go straight up a cliff.
0429201214_copy_896x538.jpg

All in all just a nice, nice day, and a nice, nice 20 mile ride to get me reenergized to get back to work forking endless cart loads of old, wet and ridiculously heavy (because of the stupid endless rains) horse manure, and a yard of new dirt, into the new garden next to the Carriage house. Frankly, I was tired of just mowing the grass in this spot and thought that extending the garden might be just the ticket to eliminate mowing it and make it productive at the same time. Besides, I needed more garden space for the potatoes, onions, broccoli, spinach, squash, wild greens lettuce, strawberries, and zucchini. The garden against the Carriage House already has the peas, mint, chives, dill, and tomatoes growing. Still have to decide where to put the pumpkins. Maybe in the big back field, just somewhere where the horses won't bother them.

20200429_190737_copy_774x1032.jpg

But... before getting back to the farm chores, we hopped in the electric car to head to the bike shop to pick up a set of thornproof inner tubes I'd ordered just for the Vado, and to order a second battery for the Vado just for the longer rides in both Loudoun and Fauquier Counties we will do together this summer.

Just say'n.

Attachments

• 0429201128a_copy_239x204.jpg
    0429201128a_copy_239x204.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 371
  • 0429201128_copy_896x538.jpg
    0429201128_copy_896x538.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Back