2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
We ran into this Septagenarian who said he is a 33 year cancer survivor and has been in hospital 3 times this year so far. Nevertheless he has put 500 km on his Rad Power in the past week for a total of 5000 km.
1586901853731.png

Last edited:
EQUITANTES NECESSE EST

or, "riding is a must". I woke up rather early on Tuesday. One of the first things I did was replacing the Ergotec stem with the original Specialized one. Unluckily, the Ergotec didn't meet my expectations, so I replaced it with certainly less complicated but safer stem:

1586914310722.png

Oh, I do love working with the torque wrench!

The Tuesday's ride was a regular, Winter 2019/2020 one. Riding is a must, regardless of the weather. Temperature in 40's F (7 C exactly), combined with a gale on the outbound trip. I actually could see a soil-storm at some place! So what? When I was pushing my Vado through the wind, I was reasoning "How lucky person you are, Me-cash! (That's how my nickname is pronounced, more or less). You are riding the powerful Grizzle at 70% Sport mode. Your clothes are modern, wisely chosen, and in case it is not enough, there are more there in the pannier. And when you reach the midpoint, you'll be riding with the gale. Enjoy the ride!)" 😊

1586914970535.png

HERE BE GALES. I had some issues with selecting the proper clothing during the ride; the farther I rode, the colder it was getting. I ended up with four layers of clothing plus thick winter gloves. Did I mention e-socks, the scarf and goggles? The windbreaker turned out to be necessary, too. No Softshell or Gore-Tex can really stop such a wind.

1586915282986.png

Approaching the midpoint, which was the large village of Kampinos. Kampinos was a town in 15th c. but was demoted to a village soon after. The place has given its name to the Kampinos National Park (KPN). Although it is indeed located southwards of the KPN, nobody can explain why exactly the name of the village was used to name the large park. (The headquarters of the KPN is located at a totally different place). Anyhow, the locals are very proud of the fact the park is "theirs" ;)

1586915830848.png

Can you see the moose heads at the bus-shelter? Yes, the people of Kampinos are proud of the National Park! Notice I was travelling relatively light; no photographic equipment. The Ortlieb Bike-Packer with Commuter Inserts is worth every cent! The place was the turning point. It was the ride with the wind onward.

1586916146379.png

After the battery swap at the 39th kilometre (meaning that the wind ate the battery quite soon). There was a Police patrol car that just bypassed me. I guess it is a lot of scaremongering in the media and if the Police really interrogate cyclists, it must happen in big cities.

1586916548031.png

There are fewer and fewer roads I haven't been at yet. I knew that very spot very well, 16 km to the destination. I could afford going into the Turbo mode and I rode at 45 km/h (28 mph) with the wind at times. I also tested the shock absorption qualities of the Baramind BAM Trek handlebars and of the PNW Coast Suspension Dropper Seat-Post on damaged tarmac, gravel and...

1586916832319.png

...off-road ;) The map read there should be a path along the A2 freeway. There was none. Still, I could ride the rough terrain comfortably, with the seat somewhat lowered for greater security. In the rough terrain, the air seat suspension activated and turned out to be a marvel!

1586917154302.png

The route as planned. I made some adjustments during the actual ride.

1586917313076.png

Actual ride stats. 43 miles done!

Last edited:
I did not intend to ride 32 miles. I intended to ride just 20. Guess my impulsive nature got to call the shots today, specifically because it argued with the logic of a high priced lawyer that the coming bad weather was going to keep me out of the saddle for a few days, so I would be advised to pack as many miles in today as possible.

How was I to argue with that logic?

I did, to be honest, start out as if 20 miles was the goal. To that end I decided to cruise south and then east on the gravel roads towards the town of St. Louis, and then loop back home.

4-14-2020-photo3-reduced.jpg

Most of the early miles were scenic gravel roads, resplendent with deep green grass, fat cattle, purple mountains in the background, and skies looking like they had been painted by Bob Ross. It was pleasantly warm, in the high 50°f, but not too warm to risk removing the cycling jacket yet.

4-14-2020-photo2-reduced.jpg

I was especially intrigued by an ageless oak tree that seemed eager to tell wonderful stories of history from centuries past ... if only someone would stop to listen. I, as all humans are, was too busy to sit and listen, but I did promise the tree that I would return and rest a spell once its leaves had budded forth. It's a promise I intend to keep.

At 10 miles I came to a crossroad, both physically and mentally. Turn left and go home. Turn right and go somewhere I'd never ridden before on a bike.

I sat and debated for two seconds, urged by my impulses to turn right to explore a paved road that might be great for my soon-to-arrive new ebike, as well as grab some more miles before the sunny warm window overhead closed in 2 hours from now with the advance of a cold front bringing more rain which we did not need.

The impulses won the coin toss. Right, it was. Directly onto a roller coaster ride of a paved road heading straight into Middleburg, VA - the foxhunting capital of the world.

At one point the road spanned part of the 54 mile long Potomac River tributary known as Goose Creek. The old stone bridge stantions over the creek still remained, long after the wooden bridge itself had washed away in a storm, a testimony of stones time and persistence in the face of slow yet relentless decay. It was nice to see the stone structures still standing tall, a reminder of more placid days, of horse drawn carriages trotting over the long disappeared wooden bridge, the hunt riding out from their kennels just a few hundred yards up the road, the hounds trotting over the bridge right behind the huntsman in an obedient group under the watchful eyes of the whips. Echoes of the past that can only be heard in the silence of the woods surrounding the quietly flowing creek below.

4-14-2020-photo6-reduced.jpg

4-14-2020-photo7-reduced.jpg

The road rose up and down as I continued south into Middleburg, passing beautiful estates along the way. The extreme downhill were such fun, even as I knew in the back of my mind that the return would be more work and less fun. The road had been resurfaced a year or so back, and made the going as smooth as glass.

I stopped just a mile outside of Middleburg to take a photo of my bike at Glenwood Park (1911).

4-14-2020-photo8-reduced.jpg

This several hundred acres of equine recreational land for steeplechases and foxhunting was given as a "gift to all Virginians" by a Master of Middleburg Hunt, Daniel C. Sands, in 1911.

At one time the sign proudly proclaimed his gift, but over the decades a hedge was planted in front of the sign and then was clipped and shaped to cover the "gift" words. Year after year, whenever I passed by the park, I always felt bad that Dr. Sand's words were deliberately obscured, as if his contribution of this land was no longer important. Today I looked behind the sign to see if the obscured gift pronouncement was still there. It wasn't. Sometimes in the past that part of the sign had been removed. Dr. Sand's name may have been scrubbed from the sign, and his generosity forgotten, but there are still steeplechases held here in the spring and fall, and one of the races is named in Sands honor.

20200415_081532_copy_774x1032_copy_659x910.jpg

From the book "The Hunt County of America" pub .1967

Middleburg-Races-c1945-e1536170743589.jpeg

Steeplechases at Glenwood Park 1930s

From Glenwood Park to Middleburg itself was a swift, giddy zoom down the descending paved road that dropped me right into the middle of this historic downtown. Many of the main buildings were first raised in the 1720's, 50 years before the Revolutionary War.

sign-e1405885473909.jpg

Everything in Middleburg is devoted to the chase. Everything. Even their town logo is a running fox. Everywhere you look the fox reigns supreme. You can't get away from it...nor do you want to. It infuses the charm of the village and its unique place in the history of Virginia and the nation as a whole.

4164161614_a5d835b7ff.jpg

[The Middleburg Christmas Parade marches up the main street (Rt. 50) of Middleburg every December. The parade is always "opened" by Middleburg Hunt that morning, while the floats and etc commence later at noon. Huntsman is center, whips to the sides, and the Field (foxhunters) follow. The hunt then goes off into the countryside for a day of hunting. I was part of the Field one year (when it wasn't snowing) and got a first hand experience of the rolling countryside at a gallop over some really BIG fences that made the roller coaster paved road into Middleburg seem flat as a pancake.]

Enough about the hunt. Back to the bike ride of 4/14/2020...

The Red Fox Inn boasts a prize corner on the main intersection of the road heading east to Washington DC, and a proud brass National Register of Historic Places plaque on the exterior. As old as the town itself, the Inn had been a favorite dining establishment, but now was closed by the virus scourge that was shuttering so many of our historic buildings.

4-14-2020-photo9-reduced.jpg

The traffic through the town, once busy and non stop, mostly of visitors from the DC area coming out to see how the better half lived, was now close to zero. With all the restaurants, museums, and clothing stores closed, there was precious little to tour left in the town. I did see a Tesla pull up to the light, and I gave the driver a thumbs up. He smiled back at me, then gave me a thumbs up when I pantomimed that my bike was also an electric vehicle.

As there was little to do around the locked down town, and since I was very familiar already with the town, I opted to head back north, back to the "decision corner" to see where I wanted to go next. Truth be told, I wasn't quite ready to return home, so opted to continue West and get back on the gravel roads. Back to where time slows down, where nature cozies up to the edges of the roads, and where springtime takes on the vibrant colors of purple, pink and white.

4-14-2020-photo4-reduced.jpg

Of all the harbingers of Spring, the redbud tree stands supreme in the Virginia countryside. When the redbuds bud, and the dogwoods dress in white and pink splendor, one knows that springtime has surely arrived.

4-14-2020-photo12-reduced.jpg

A new chicken coop (hunt jump fence) destined to be painted black to match the board fence. Guess the spray painted reminder was to prevent that task from being ignored.

4-14-2020-photo13-reduced.jpg

My roundabout route home took me down one of my favorite "road closed" roads (which it really isn't- VDOT just keeps forgetting to pick up their signs from 3 months ago when they repaired the road) to see how much of the creek spillover from the rainstorm last night (which dumped 1" of rain on the countryside while it produced damaging tornadoes in the South) had covered the road. It looked shallow enough to cross without concern, yet wide enough to offer a bit of fun. So after taking this shot I maneuvered the bike closer to the stream and got ready to hop on.

Unfortunately, my left foot didn't get the message clearly, and slipped off the pedal just as the bike entered into the water. My foot did a splashdown worthy of an Apollo spacecraft hitting the ocean, and my entire shoe went completely underwater. As I gasped at the cold water instantly swirling around/inside my shoe and sock my right foot decided it wanted to join the fun and promptly slid off its pedal making a second, equally energetic splashdown into the cold stream.

Now I had not just one wet foot, but two. At that point it seemed rather ridiculous to ride the bike across the water, so I slogged across instead. Not a big deal as I was only a few miles from home and the air was still somewhat warm. I mounted up, waterlogged feet on the pedals, and merrily rode the final miles home, waving hello to everyone I saw as I passed by - a county deputy, several motorists, several walkers and 4 other cyclists. No way was I going to be anything but happy for such a lovely day and a lovely ride.

By the time I reached home my battery indicator light was glowing red - a sure sign that I was down to my last electrons. All those fun up and down roller coaster hills, and high assists, dined on that battery like a hungry crowd at an all-you-can-eat buffet. I arrived home with 7% left, which my controller dutifully translated to 6 miles remaining. Not a lot to spare, that's for sure.

I was glad to be home. And glad I had indulged my impulsive side to explore just a little further afield than planned. It make the afternoon a memorable one.

As I sit writing this, the rain is pouring down outside, and the temps have dropped to 36°f. They are calling for snow flurries tonight.

4-14-2020-Map-BikeRide.jpg

Last edited:
Stefan, What are your impressions and thoughts about the Baramind handlebars?
These seem to dampen rapid vibrations very well. Given there is no front shock in my Vado, I don't suffer so much as before on gravel or bad tarmac. Riding over a speed bump allows me just stay seated as opposite to standing on the pedals (as before). The Baramind are especially good off-road. When it comes to slow vibration (deep potholes), the front shock would do better than the dampening handlebars, I guess.

A gentle ride in the country?
2020-04-15-mahons-rd-ebr.jpg

Pine Mountain from Mahons Road

The photo above was taken 4 km from home. In the background is Pine Mountain itself. The pines (Araucaria cunninghamii) are genuine; the 'mountain' is what it is – ten percent of the height of Australia's highest mountain which is an embarrassment to all serious mountaineers intent on bagging the highest peak on each continent.

Just for Stefan: Australia's highest mountain, Mount Kosciuszko (2,228 metres), was named by Polish explorer Paweł Edmund Strzelecki, in honour of Polish-Lithuanian freedom fighter General Tadeusz Kościuszko because of its perceived resemblance to the Kościuszko Mound in Kraków.

Back to Pine Mountain (the locality rather than the towering peak). These days Pine Mountain is a suburb of Ipswich which is in the process of becoming indistinguishable from Brisbane. My rides from home start in Pine Mountain. Most rides head north along the rail trail or Pine Mountain Road. Today I ignored both and headed for the hills (5–17 km on map); more on that tomorrow.

The photo above is of the gentler section (at 4 km); that below closer to home (1.5 km).

2020-04-15-map.jpg

2020-04-15-pmq-rd-a-ebr.jpg

Pine Mountain Quarry Road

Just for R2R: There is a well-maintained but little-used horse trail running alongside of the road (crosses sides 100 m ahead). Most horse riders – there are many – prefer to use the rail trail which is very close.

Last edited by a moderator:
What lovely pictures you make, David!

Just for Stefan: Australia's highest mountain, Mount Kosciuszko (2,228 metres), was named by Polish explorer Paweł Edmund Strzelecki, in honour of Polish-Lithuanian freedom fighter General Tadeusz Kościuszko because of its perceived resemblance to the Kościuszko Mound in Kraków.
I've always wondered how Ozzies pronounced the name of Mr. Kościuszko ;) I've got a story for you, David!

My Dad, after being captured in the Kercelak marketplace in Warsaw in 1942 for slavery by Nazis, led first grim (but interesting) life, which became colourful after the war. In 1951, he came to Australia. He had spent seven years there: Hobart, Tasmania; Melbourne; Adelaide. He left for Poland in 1957 where he met my Mum soon. When I was a small kid, we flew together to Kraków. That was my first time I walked onto the Kościuszko Mound. And my Dad ordered a glass of beer and a bottle of lemonade. He made a shandy and drank it there, at the Kościuszko Mound. So strong his Australian habits were. 😊

('Cozzie-osko' in this household. Probably cringeworthy, as many of our pronunciations are down here)
🤣 Hard name indeed. "Strzelecki" would be hopeless as well...

Why are you riding at nights, PM?

Although your father's story sounds harrowing, Stefan.
The best motto of my Dad was:
  1. Don't care too much;
  2. Eat well;
  3. Wear comfortable shoes.
It helped him to survive escaping Warsaw in 1939, threat of being shot by the Soviets, escape from then Soviet Union to Germany-occupied Warsaw, the capture by the Nazi, the slavery work in the Ruhr area, escape, sending him to the coal mine, escaping again, sending him for the roof work, Allies' bombing of Essen, escaping and voluntarily working at steelworks (the papers burnt in the Gestapo fire), liberation, displaced person's fate, post-war rebuilding of West Germany, a stay in the UK, sea travel to Australia, dam construction in Tasmania, tram conductor in Adelaide and so on. The best for him was meeting my Mum at a party in Warsaw in 1957 😊

1586953244764.png

Władysław Stefan Mikulski (1919-2008). A 1942 painting.

Last edited:
🤣 Hard name indeed. "Strzelecki" would be hopeless as well...

Why are you riding at nights, PM?

The best motto of my Dad was:
  1. Don't care too much;
  2. Eat well;
  3. Wear comfortable shoes.
It helped him to survive escaping Warsaw in 1939, threat of being shot by the Soviets, escape from then Soviet Union to Germany-occupied Warsaw. the capture by the Nazi, the slavery work in the Ruhr area, escape, sending him to the coal mine, escaping again, sending him for the roof work, Ally bombing of Essen, escaping and voluntarily working at steelworks (the papers burnt in the Gestapo fire), liberation, displaced person's fate, post-war rebuilding of West Germany, a stay in the UK, sea travel to Australia, dam construction in Tasmania, tram conductor in Adelaide and so on. The best for him was meeting my Mum at a party in Warsaw in 1957 😊

View attachment 49897
Władysław Stefan Mikulski (1919-2008). A 1942 painting.

Extraordinary.. to survive WW2 in your corner of the world makes what we're living through now seem rather tame by comparison.

We have a Strzelecki lookout in our city, named after the Polish explorer Paul Strzelecki, so locals are reasonably well across that pronunciation.

The lockdown means I work from home and juggle home schooling the children by day. Night is my only opportunity to ride. I quite like it: there's next to no foot or vehicular traffic around and lots more wildlife scurrying about.

Extraordinary.. to survive WW2 in your corner of the world makes what we're living through now seem rather tame by comparison.
There's a Polish comedy movie titled "How I Unleashed World War II" about a Polish guy also captured for the slavery work and with fates almost of my Dad. Pity you cannot watch it.

However, you can turn the CC English subtitles here and enjoy the best scene:

Last edited:
Nancy and I got a some great rides in this past week. Spring has definitely sprung with fruit trees blooming and yellow tree pollens falling like so much fine yellow snow to the point where it is visible on pavement and turning all the cracks in the pavement bright yellow. Even without Covid 19 a dust mask of some sort is good for riding.
Alaskan: A couple of questions:

1. One of your bikes has a Brooks B17 Imperial saddle. What is the saddle bag that is attached?
2. Is that a Trek app that have screen captures for?

Grant

Riverside Drive …

2020-04-15-hbells-rd-ebr.jpg

H. Bells Road, Pine Mountain
Riverside Drive is deceptively named. Yes, I was close to the Brisbane River; No, I could not see the river!

And 'drive', as in 'a drive in the country'? If steep gradients (10… 15… maybe, 20%) on a winding, rutted and gravel-strewn country road that hasn't been visited by a maintenance crew for the best part of a year is one's idea of fun, then Riverside Drive is for you!

I loved it; so did the Homage. Significantly, I was more concerned with getting up the inclines and scary descents that worrying about what would happen if the Homage's motor or gears should fail after a half-dozen switchbacks. All went well.

I must admit to an error of judgment. The photographs shown here were all taken from Riverside Drive, not of it. Another trip will have to be made!
  • Above: H.Bells Road running off to the west (8.5 km on the map – previous page). Truly, the camera was in Riverside Drive.
  • Below: Looking east towards the Brisbane River – out of sight of sight from Riverside Drive.
  • Bottom: Looking north toward the Brisbane River – ditto!
2020-04-16-riverside-dr-1aa-ebr.jpg

2020-04-15-riverside-dr-11a-ebr.jpg

Back