2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Note the 'stringy bark' dangling from so many of the eucalyptus trees – the ultimate wildfire starter fuel. There's plenty more on the ground!
Eucalyptus trees were introduced to California in the 1850s by Australian gold miners. The State encouraged their planting hoping for a future source of fast growing timber for the railroads and mines. That didn't work out so well as the eucalyptus timbers twist too much when drying and when dry are too hard to drive rail spikes into.

When I was young these trees were very prominent around the hills above San Francisco bay. They were susceptible to the rare freeze that would kill hundreds at a time. One of my chores as a kid was splitting eucalyptus firewood. WOW, what a job with the twisting grain and tough wood. I can't remember how many splitting wedges got stuck in particularly tough logs, some having to be burned out!

The Oakland Hills fire of 1991 destroyed many of the eucalyptus trees and at the time were cited as one reason for the fast moving fire in the neighborhoods on the steep hillsides.

Well, winter is going to drop a load on us later today or tomorrow, so I've been doing more riding in anticipation of being house bound for a while.

Last Wednesday, I went out for one of my normal "not sure where I am going" rides, which often has me taking random turns. In this case, I took a lot of known routes, as to avoid anything too slippery, but I did find myself exploring an area to the west of me that I hadn't ridden in some time, in an area called Edgemont.

Dec 16 - Stretch.JPG

I rode a lot of cleared paths and roads, but not all were bare and dry. There's quite a bit of terrain I will want to come back to in the summer. The middle picture below, is a few blocks west of the really big houses overlooking the park I ride on most of the time. One of those houses, was supposedly owned by Carol Burnett at one time. She bought it to live in when she was here for the '88 Winter Olympics.

20201216_133827.jpg 20201216_140010.jpg 20201216_140014.jpg

All in all the ride was enjoyable and thankfully upright, although it was very windy and of course that wind got to run a long a lot of snow - so it was "cool".

On Saturday, I did something different and went for a ride to visit a friend who's recently moved to Vernon BC.
He's a roadie and although he has a spare bike at his Calgary home, wasn't interested in going for a spin.

My route started going over Nose Hill and then descending into paths and bike lanes to head over to an area overlooking the Bow River.

Dec 19 - Visit Peter.JPG

On Nose Hill, there were sections of clean path as well as lots of packed snow, so there were no land speed records set that day.

20201219_123547.jpg 20201219_123601.jpg 20201219_124142.jpg 20201219_124145.jpg
The reason I named my ride this way was I wasn't successful. I really should have grabbed a photo of a spot where I went down as it was stupidly icy on this one short road I took to get from one path system to another. I could see it and had virtually stopped before lowering my dropper and had my legs out as out-riggers. Well, it was too slippery for even that, and down I went - on the same shoulder again. I tried to stand up, and almost went over again. I've been on less slippery ice rinks - if anyone had tried to park on the side of the road, their car would have slipped down the slope...

No new damage and I carefully slip down out of the icy section and continued my ride. Regarding my shoulder, at this point it's a "no news is good news" in regards to the diagnostics, but I have an ultrasound scheduled for the first week of January. X=rays must not have shown anything as my Dr. is really good at getting back to me if there's anything wrong. I suspect it's going to be a torn rotator cuff, but all bets are off as to how severe as it's not interfering too much (other than putting clothes on...).

Back to the ride, there are a number of communities along the bluffs overlooking the Bow River and there's also some good cleared pathways as well.
This is an area riddled with off - path trails, which I'll re-visit in the summer.

20201219_133300.jpg 20201219_133303.jpg 20201219_133308.jpg 20201219_133831.jpg 20201219_133846.jpg 20201219_133856.jpg

Got to my destination and had a short, socially distanced, visit (and warm bio-break ;) ) and headed home. Picked a better route and avoided the ice, and as it was getting towards late afternoon, didn't stop for photos with one exception. As posted in another thread, I cam across some lovely Christmas decorations along one of the pathways.

20201219_150602.jpg

Yesterday, I also went out for a spin, but it was for a slightly different reason. I'd borrowed a shock pump from one of my other biker friends (MTB type) and although I began with no intended destination midway I changed my mind from an aimless ride to one with a purpose. He lives on the other side of the river and lives alone so I thought I'd pop over and return his pump (which was in my pack as I was tuning the suspension in my PNW suspension dropper). A lot of the route is similar to Saturday's' and I have documented the route to his place in earlier posts so I shan't bore anyone with the same thing.

Dec 20 - Visit Greg & Claire.JPG

One photo I though I'd share, is that of the Olympic Oval - home of the Speedskating events of the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics and still site of many top events. I was cutting through the University grounds and saw teh roof, so snapped a pic. Many of my photos show the Ski Jumping tower from the same Olympics, but it's decommissioned and I think they plan to take it down someday soon.

20201220_125514.jpg

That's it until after Christmas I think. As @Twin Valley posted earlier today, we're scheduled for a big dump of snow here starting later today or tomorrow. and I think I'll bring my bike inside and give it a bit of a clean and do a few repairs (Dropper actuator stopped working on the way home yesterday). Oh, and I also need to work on finding some studded tires to fit as I've enjoyed the cycling on the packed snow, I should not tempt fate again and I really do prefer to ride a little quicker.

Two final thoughts:
1) Have a safe and happy Christmas season, in whatever format your local situation or personal choices are.
2) Raise a glass of whatever is your favorite tipple and join me in a rousing "Cheers".

Me, I'm going to dip into this one - @Stefan Mikes may choose to describe it for those that are interested.
It may have found it's way into my small hip flask for my next ride too!

Polish Honey licquer.jpg

@RandallS: I saw one of your rides named "avoiding ice". Your route was quite hilarious! :)
Regarding the honey vodka: I don't know it. It must be some craft product for connoisseurs :) Looks genuine, though! I must admit I've had three glasses of Bloody Mary based on Polish Krupnik vodka and need to take a nap now to be ready for 50 miles on Tuesday morning!

1608598805558.png

Not that we Poles drink vodka like the Russian do :)

Cycling through bucolic eastern Victoria …

Lilydale to Warburton Rail Trail

Lilydale to Warburton Rail Trail
Victoria
Tuesday's wet and cold; so here's an image from our ride on Sunday!

There were cows – without droopy ears – but they steadfastly declined to move into the picture.

HoudahGeo screenshot

The screenshot is from a macOS application called HoudahGeo.

Any photo made on a smartphone should include location data; not so, if it is made on the compact camera I take along on rides. (Why not!) To overcome the camera's deficiency, I run an iPhone app called GeotagPhotos which records location every ten seconds. After the photos have been downloaded, GeotagPhotos on the computer supplies the missing data so the exact location, date and time can be checked.

And one more thing: here is today's forecast for Falls Creek (altitude ~1500 m) in the region labelled 'Alpine National Park' to the east of where we were riding…

Falls Creek : Weather Forecast : 2020-12-22

Last edited by a moderator:
@RandallS: I saw one of your rides named "avoiding ice". Your route was quite hilarious! :)
Regarding the honey vodka: I don't know it. It must be some craft product for connoisseurs :) Looks genuine, though! I must admit I've had three glasses of Bloody Mary based on Polish Krupnik vodka and need to take a nap now to be ready for 50 miles on Tuesday morning!

View attachment 74808
Not that we Poles drink vodka like the Russian do :)
Yes, that Strava route trace is pretty funny. We should have a Strava (or equivalent) contest on who can create the most interesting message or picture.

My introduction to hub-drive ebiking …

Giant / Rev ebike conversion

Koonung Creek Trail
Doncaster, Melbourne
Whilst in Melbourne I've been able to ride this Giant utility bike which was converted to an ebike by replacing the rear wheel and adding a frame-mounted battery. Good fun, but I really haven't sufficient experience to add more than that!

Lilydale – Warburton Rail Trail

Lilydale–Warburton Rail Trail
Yarra Valley, Victoria

My introduction to hub-drive ebiking …

View attachment 74828
Koonung Creek Trail
Doncaster, Melbourne
Whilst in Melbourne I've been able to ride this Giant utility bike which was converted to an ebike by replacing the rear wheel and adding a frame-mounted battery. Good fun, but I really haven't sufficient experience to add more than that!

View attachment 74871
Lilydale–Warburton Rail Trail
Yarra Valley, Victoria
It never ceases to amaze me how many awesome trails you have access to and of course how beautiful the areas are that you get to ride in!👍

getting ready for a grocery run 42 degrees and it started raining of course. it stopped after a bit. my wife is blind but can see light and close so we wandered around looking at Christmas lights. I would call out what side of the street they were on. I would look down streets to to see who had the most lights then go down that street. kinda looks like a drunk walking. this map was not as crazy as the last time we did it. then I was all over the place.
IMG_1964.jpg
IMG_1965.PNG

Bears Dancing in the Streets, or Warsaw Southern Bridge Grand Opening [RAINING]
Poland's Prime Minister Doesn't Like Being Disturbed by the Public!

Well, them bears dancing in the streets is the Bulgarian thing (as in the saying: "A hungry bear won't dance") and actually there were no bears to be seen on my Tuesday's ride but it didn't make it less interesting! I rode out on my Vado at 9:09 a.m. clad with four layers on my torso and three layers on my legs, plus e-socks. It was cold and windy; I rode quite fast in 50% Sport mode with traffic and reached the first waypoint -- Jazza's place -- in less than 51 minutes!

Jazza was waiting for me: A large comfortable chair next to the heater (so I could rest my feet and warm them up) and excellent coffee. We both were enjoying presence of Frezja (Bernese Mountain bitch) and talking. Meanwhile, it started raining... and it was only getting worse for the rest of the day! I put my clothes on -- also set e-socks to Level 1-- and continued the ride with traffic -- over very straight sequence of streets -- to reach the Wilanów Royal Palace.

1608703732087.png

Wilanów (Villa Nova) is a 17 c. palace of our most successful King Jan III Sobieski, the victor of Vienna (1683) who actually drove out the Turkish from Europe. I had a nice talk with a ticket inspector (she even gave me a free ticket I had no time to use!) and then a security guard came over. We had an unpleasant quarrel as it turned out I was not allowed to even walk my bike there! Irritated, I continued my ride, because...

1608704187674.png

...the latest of Warsaw bridges (the eleventh of them), the Southern Bridge was to be opened on the day! I lost my way but @Jerzy Bańkowski was guiding me on Facebook and by phone, so finally I could see this: the bike ramp at the southern side of the new river crossing.

At that point, my "waterproof" motorcycle gloves were already soaked with rainwater. I changed them to thick winter ones.

1608705512010.png

How strange... No cars there?! (Interestingly, the bridge has been constructed by a Turkish firm: Poor King Jan the Third!) :D

1608706123080.png

An unnamed sandy island southwards of the bridge.

It soon turned out why the bridge was empty. I was approached by an extremely polite policeman:
-- How can I help you? -- I started the conversation
-- Sir! You cannot continue your ride! I suggest you ride back. You see, the bridge opening is happening right now, and Mr Prime Minister and the Voivod (the governor) don't want to be disturbed by the public! -- How odd. One might think those guys had been public servants...
-- I'll rather wait, sir -- I replied -- I've already ridden for thirty-eight kilometres to cross the bridge...
-- Let him go! -- the policeman's partner shouted -- I think them have already left the place!

No, it was not over :D When I continued the ride, I could see a canopy, under which a large group of politicians stood, being televised. No public, though...

1608706810180.png

On the descent over a MUP. My next destination was Makenzen's place. We had agreed with Joanna I would ride up to her and we would both go back to ride over the northern bike path of the bridge.

1608706981317.png

At the Wał Miedzeszyński (a Wall, or Enbankment) in the Praga South, a right-bank Warsaw quarter. Drivers are patiently waiting until the PM finishes his auto-promotion on the telly :D

I found the Makenzen's place, dried some clothes a little, had a mug of warm tea and we went back together with Joanna onto the Bridge. Joanna is an avid cyclist, owning no less than four recumbent bikes! I'm so jealous she can make over 100 mile trip with 4000 ft of elevation gain a day! She's been my cyclist ideal and I still do whatever I can to match her achievements on e-bike!

1608707464412.png

"Luke, I'm your father! Nooooo!" - or Lord Darth Vader treading the national flag :D Nowadays with our Nationalist government, they call everything "National". Joanna's guess is, the new bridge would be named "National" soon. And the unnamed island, too! :D

1608707641561.png

Me & Makenzen on the virgin Southern Bridge ride (the north bridge section).

The weather was getting worse and worse! From constant raining to the downpour, combined with strong wind and cold. Below the bridge at the Wilanów side, I had to fix the saddle and had an "S-Pedelec talk" with a group of construction workers (only Poles, and a single Ukrainian). The number plate on my Vado certainly attracts attention!

The night fell. I was riding hard with traffic towards home. At some point, the batteries in my heated socks went flat and I started suffering. I covered the last segment in the Turbo mode.

1608708032837.png

Ride map.

1608731972980.png

Detailed map.

1608708133161.png

Ride metrics.

At home, it turned out any piece of my clothing was soaked with rainwater! Yet, I felt no cold. The modern cycling clothes are good, really good... (Don't catch the cold, Stefan!)

Last edited:
@Stefan Mikes You are crazy :p in a good way, amazing effort in those awful conditions! Loved your story and your pictures!:)

1608730019295.png

After Sunday's epic ride a leisurely ride was the order of the day, especially as the conditions were pretty icy! Yesterday was way worse though so I set off on the main gritted roads, avoiding the back roads which was a wise decision! I did venture on to a cycle path, only because it was mostly flat and the views were pretty good!

1608729602316.jpeg

1608729625071.jpeg

A nice lady warned me of ice further along the path, I thanked her and proceeded cautiously! I came across a dip in the path where the water was lying across the whole width and it actually looked safe! I decided to stop and put my foot down to test it and it was sheet ice below the surface! Very wise decision to be wary, much better to be safe than sorry!

Today I passed 10,000km for the year, my current total stands at 6,223 miles and there is still a week left! It has been a great cycling year for me but I would swap it for being free of Covid and still in employment! They say everything happens for a reason though so I should just be thankful for what I have and I am!

Attachments

• elevation_profile241.jpg
    elevation_profile241.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 204
  • trip-60575752-map-full156.png
    trip-60575752-map-full156.png
    430.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 20201223_094400.jpg
    20201223_094400.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 20201223_094446.jpg
    20201223_094446.jpg