2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
So n+1 applies to equestrians as well as cyclists? 🙄
Yes. Sadly, we equestrians are not immune to the desires of having an extra horse, just in case. Unlike a bike they are soft and warm and huggable, will greet you every morning with soft whinnys and big expressive eyes, ready for love, treats, hugs and kisses. Unlike a bike they expect you to be their personal servant 24/7.

Good thing they are happy to sleep in a barn.

The n+1 horse is even more expensive than the n+1 e-bike :) Someone asked me how much my e-bikes plus all extras cost me so far. I should have answered "Too much". My answer was: "I could get a decent new car for that" :(
Perhaps the States have extra automotive requirements, tariffs, etc. It'd be hard to find a decent used car here for the price of a Vado...😕

Yes. Sadly, we equestrians are not immune to the desires of having an extra horse, just in case. Unlike a bike they are soft and warm and huggable, will greet you every morning with soft whinnys and big expressive eyes, ready for love, treats, hugs and kisses....and expect you to be their personal servant 24/7.

Good thing they are happy to sleep in a barn.
Sounds like a giant cat, except for the barn part. I was lucky to keep it at the foot of the bed...🙄

Forgot to add that they also require their own wardrobe. Clothing for each season. Clothing that is far more expensive than my own, I might add, and is lucky if it lasts for more than one or two seasons.
20180618_075544_copy_951x415.jpg

20201220_202035.jpg

Thank goodness my bike doesn't require anything other than a set of saddlebags, and a dry garage to spend it's time while waiting for me to ride it.

An
Forgot to add that they also require their own wardrobe. Clothing for each season. Clothing that is far more expensive than my own, I might add, and is lucky if it lasts for more than one or two seasons.
View attachment 74693
View attachment 74694

Thank goodness my bike doesn't require anything other than a set of saddlebags, and a dry garage to spend it's time while waiting for me to ride it.
And bikes are patient . They will sit in the garage and wait for spring.

Riding the rail trail …

Lilydale to Warburton Rail Trail near Seville East

Lilydale to Warburton RT
Victoria, Australia
I've been enjoying my self south of the border for the first time since February. In this photo my sister-and-law and I are crossing a floodable section of the trail. For most of this ride she rode the ebike – it's hers after all! – and I made do with a spare hybrid. On a mostly flat ride, the lack of motor assist was less significant than coping with narrow tyres (28 instead of my regular 57 mm on the Homage). Crossing a boardwalk-style bridge like this, one could certainly do with the cushiness provided by a wider tread.

We started the ride at Wandin which is about 50 km east of Melbourne, the world's most southerly large city (approximately: 38ºS; population five million).

Photo at 9 km (55 km on return ride)…

Map : Lilydate – Warburton Rail Trail

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the States have extra automotive requirements, tariffs, etc. It'd be hard to find a decent used car here for the price of a Vado...😕
I meant "three" e-bikes. Three extra batteries. And so on.

Wait until you'd need to replace the drive-train, tyres, brake pads or will need a new battery...
(My e-bikes want to be my personal servants 24/7, too :) They only don't speak to me :D)

And bikes are patient . They will sit in the garage and wait for spring.
"Probably for you! :D" as an idiomatic (jokingly, but slightly offensive) Polish phrase would read :D

@fooferdoggie: The creek you showed was impressive!

@David Berry: So that's the Summer Solstice for you, isn't it.

Last edited:
Coolest summer solstice ever …

Yarra River : Warrandyte

Yarra River
Warrandyte (east of Melbourne)
This is the view from about two hundred metres from where I am now. Most of my 'Melbourne' rides are along or near the Yarra River. This week's rides with my brother usually start from their home which is just out of sight to our left (20 metres higher than the maximum recorded flood).

Note the 'stringy bark' dangling from so many of the eucalyptus trees – the ultimate wildfire starter fuel. There's plenty more on the ground!

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you feel now riding a trad bike, David? I understand you suffer from thin tyres but how does the riding compare to your e-bikes in general? In terms of effort? Distances ridden?

Back