2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Bramki Xmas Eve Turbo Ride (Oh no! Raining AGAIN!)

It was unthinkable not to see my daughter Magda on Christmas Eve (that day is the most important to us Poles of all season holidays). I could have taken my car. I should have taken my car. Yet, the temperature of 9 C (48 F) was too tempting. Yes, the weather forecast predicted 0.1 mm of rainfall, meaning a drizzle in the worst case. I shouldn't have trusted the weather forecast...

As soon as I left Brwinów, it poured. I had insufficient clothes on me. Yet, my appointment was for 2 p.m. and I had no choice. Armed with the spare battery, I went in 100% Turbo mode and started pedalling very hard and fast. I was surprised how much of instant power my legs could deliver if I were really pressed.

Once I reached the Social Care Home in Bramki, my trousers, boots/e-socks and gloves were already soaked with rainwater. (Funnily enough, the heated socks worked!)

View attachment 75061
Because of the Holidays, visiting restrictions have been relieved at the Home. Magda and I could see each other and talk over a thick transparent film. We both were so happy to see each other!` Here, Magda demonstrating her Christmas Eve gift.

View attachment 75062
I'm very much afraid of catching cold. I had no stops en route today. I was just dreaming of reaching home, getting rid of wet clothes, taking a hot shower, and drinking warm tea. So I pedalled... Battery temperature reached 26 C (79 F) and the Vado motor reached 50 C (122 F) which is in the "yellow" or warning zone.

View attachment 75063
The averaged metrics do not reflect that but I was constantly pedalling at 100-160 W leg power with high occasional bursts, and I was maintaining the cadence of 85 to keep my body warm...

Happy & Healthy Holidays!
So happy you got to see your daughter, Stefan!

Don't catch cold!!!

Merry Christmas!

Yesterday we went to check out the newly reopened Spruce Railroad Trail which runs along the north side of Lake Crescent on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State. This is part of the Olympic Discovery Trail. We set out and it was sunny though cold (had ice in the bed of the pickup truck). It got more and more overcast as we passed Port Angeles, and we started seeing snow on the ground, though it was not precipitating at the time. We had to go via hwy 112 and Joyce, because the East Beach Road is still closed from the summer. There was quite a bit of snow and ice at the trailhead parking lot. Rather like a slurpee or a granita. My husband gave his Vado a spin in the parking lot and a bit up the trail, but came back and said it was probably not wise.

But since we'd driven all the way out there, we thought maybe approaching from the far side (the west end of the lake, at Fairholm) would net us some riding because the trail has more tree coverage, so less snow. So we backtracked and drove along the lake and the gorgeous forest and parked at Fairholm. There was a bit of slush on the road, but not too bad. We joined the trail itself at Ovington.

Let me tell you, they have done a bang-up job of building this section of the Olympic Discovery Trail. Although they did remove some trees on the lake side which lightened up the vistas of the lake (we remarked, "They've USA Todayed it), they have built a really superb railway bike trail. Flat, smooth, with a tunnel and bridges. They also pretty much spoiled our secret fishing spot, but there are very few fish in the lake and you can't keep them anyway.

We hadn't ebiked in such cold weather before, and did not realize there was snow out here. So we didn't have on suitable footwear for the temperature, and though we had gloves, they were not adequate. So our fingertips and toes were pretty dddanged cccold. Also my eyeballs. We didn't go all the way through, so we didn't make it to the Devil's Punchbowl, but we will come back of course, since Lake Crescent is one of our favorite places.

But still it was a great way to spend Christmas Eve, pandemic or no.

Attachments

• DSC_1904.JPG
    DSC_1904.JPG
    956.6 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC_1908.JPG
    DSC_1908.JPG
    785.8 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC_1913.JPG
    DSC_1913.JPG
    874.1 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC_1916.JPG
    DSC_1916.JPG
    753.1 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC_1917.JPG
    DSC_1917.JPG
    679.5 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC_0001_BURST20201224141034979.JPG
    DSC_0001_BURST20201224141034979.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_1921.JPG
    DSC_1921.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 203
Yesterday we went to check out the newly reopened Spruce Railroad Trail which runs along the north side of Lake Crescent on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington State. This is part of the Olympic Discovery Trail. We set out and it was sunny though cold (had ice in the bed of the pickup truck). It got more and more overcast as we passed Port Angeles, and we started seeing snow on the ground, though it was not precipitating at the time. We had to go via hwy 112 and Joyce, because the East Beach Road is still closed from the summer. There was quite a bit of snow and ice at the trailhead parking lot. Rather like a slurpee or a granita. My husband gave his Vado a spin in the parking lot and a bit up the trail, but came back and said it was probably not wise.

But since we'd driven all the way out there, we thought maybe approaching from the far side (the west end of the lake, at Fairholm) would net us some riding because the trail has more tree coverage, so less snow. So we backtracked and drove along the lake and the gorgeous forest and parked at Fairholm. There was a bit of slush on the road, but not too bad. We joined the trail itself at Ovington.

Let me tell you, they have done a bang-up job of building this section of the Olympic Discovery Trail. Although they did remove some trees on the lake side which lightened up the vistas of the lake (we remarked, "They've USA Todayed it), they have built a really superb railway bike trail. Flat, smooth, with a tunnel and bridges. They also pretty much spoiled our secret fishing spot, but there are very few fish in the lake and you can't keep them anyway.

We hadn't ebiked in such cold weather before, and did not realize there was snow out here. So we didn't have on suitable footwear for the temperature, and though we had gloves, they were not adequate. So our fingertips and toes were pretty dddanged cccold. Also my eyeballs. We didn't go all the way through, so we didn't make it to the Devil's Punchbowl, but we will come back of course, since Lake Crescent is one of our favorite places.

But still it was a great way to spend Christmas Eve, pandemic or no.
Great! Can't wait to try it after winter is over!

My (and Jacek's) Year 2020 in Metrics

I'm so happy with this year -- because despite of (or, perhaps thanks to) the pandemics I could really ride. I also managed to make my brother (1st cousin) Jacek a real e-biker. (We're really talking about a way he might get my Trance E+ for his permanent use). As I and Jacek had many wonderful rides together, let us start with this summary:

1608967531806.png

The longest ride we had this year together was a 75-miler. Kudos to Jacek! (He's using a fraction of assistance I need for the same ride...)

1608968389285.png

My seven mountain rides of 2020. Unfortunately, mountains are distant from where I live... The pandemic didn't help with travelling, either.

1608969025341.png

My 2020: Two 75-milers, two 70-mile rides as well as five metric centuries. The time for an imperial century will certainly come! :)

I cannot compare to EBR Forum giants such as David or Rab, still, I'm proud! And thank you all for inspiration! Possibility of writing a post-ride report here has been perhaps the best pretext for taking interesting rides!

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
@Stefan Mikes You have a lot to be proud of, no need to compare with anybody! :)

We have a big storm here today and it looks like we will be getting snow tomorrow, no cycling happening at the moment!

Merry Christmas everyone!
Exactly! We do what we can do and, hopefully, build on that as best we can! Here’s to good health and opportunity to all in the new year!😎👍🍻🥂

I supect we all know this thread is the heart and soul of this site. When I first showed up here and found it I went through all, at that time, some 170 pages of it. Inspirational is too small a word. We must add informative and many other adjectives as well. May it go on forever. 👍 👍 👍

No longer our city …

Melbourne City Circle Tram

Melbourne Tram
Docklands; 26 km on map
Almost fifty years ago Jen and I started our lives together in Melbourne (Kew on map). With Jen now in permanent dementia care in Queensland, this was my first time in Victoria without her.

The City Circle trams, new when we hopped aboard them in the early seventies, are now older than their drivers and almost all passengers. Times change, and so have the inner suburbs of Melbourne. High-rise? No, thank you!

Yarra River : Melbourne Central

Yarra River
Melbourne Central; 30 km on map

Map : Bike Ride in Melbourne

No longer our city …

View attachment 75157
Melbourne Tram
Docklands; 26 km on map
I just want to show Dave that your wonderful Streetcars never die. #930 is with us in Edmonton Canada now and is heavily used every Summer giving people a wonderful experience. Folks are often disappointed though when it doesn't actually go to St. Kilda Beach!!!

Attachments

• Melbourne930.jpg
    Melbourne930.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 227
Pretty happy with 2020 cycling stats although I only have Strava data from mid June on.
I didn't really get tracking anything until I bought my new Giant in late July.
There may have been another 12 days, with maybe 250 - 350kms distance and 1000 - 1500m of elevation.

strava1789502686.jpg

I really doubt there will be any more for 2020 as it's snowing again and I finally ordered some studded tires today.
I must admit I am really missing it - the stationary bike in the video room has little appeal to me but I will have to force myself to do it while waiting for rideable conditions.

I sure hope 2021 will allow for more social interaction and regional rides with fellow EBR members is an absolute must!

Looking at the weather for this week I think my cycling is over for this year and what a year it has been! Only 1 imperial century this year due to the various lockdowns but 44 half century rides has certainly made up for it! If somebody had told me I would do over 6,000 miles in a year I would have told them they are crazy 🤣 but I did manage it, only because I lost my job but still...everything happens for a reason! So I'm very happy with my cycling year :) 151 rides in total at an average of 41.21 miles, 438,557 feet climbed is unbelievable😮

Screenshot_20201227-103133_Ride with GPS.jpg

Back