2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I'm off to Langdale this weekend, staying at the New Dungeon Gill, yes theres an old one.
No routes planned, the wifes climbing a few mountains and I'm going to explore some bridle paths.
As I'm typing theres a local scallywag tearing up the road on one of those Stealth Bomber emotorbikes, no helmet, doing 50 in a 20.
This is always my worry for the future of ebiking.

Another gorgeous day here, not often we get 2 in a row ;) I think it will be a while before this smile disappears after a truly awesome ride in the Scottish countryside, I've said it many times but I will say it again, I love this amazing bike!😁 The only thing that spoiled my day was an idiot in a car that almost killed me just after I left home, thankfully I anticipated that he wasn't going to stop when it was my right of way!:rolleyes: My years of riding motorbikes taught me this lesson, always ride defensively!

It was quickly forgotten about, so glad it happened right at the start and it was all golden form there on! I really am so lucky to live in such an amazing part of the world, it truly is biking heaven!:D

1600430500321.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile203.jpg
    elevation_profile203.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 285
  • trip-56304328-map-full116.png
    trip-56304328-map-full116.png
    404.1 KB · Views: 300
  • 20200918_093443.jpg
    20200918_093443.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 20200918_093455.jpg
    20200918_093455.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 20200918_093501.jpg
    20200918_093501.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 20200918_094229.jpg
    20200918_094229.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 20200918_094244.jpg
    20200918_094244.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 20200918_094758.jpg
    20200918_094758.jpg
    643.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 20200918_094810.jpg
    20200918_094810.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 292
  • 20200918_094817.jpg
    20200918_094817.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 264
  • 20200918_101055.jpg
    20200918_101055.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 287
  • 20200918_101059.jpg
    20200918_101059.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 275
  • 20200918_101242.jpg
    20200918_101242.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 20200918_101249.jpg
    20200918_101249.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 285
  • 20200918_101432.jpg
    20200918_101432.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 20200918_101443.jpg
    20200918_101443.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 269
the only thing that spoiled my day was an idiot in a car that almost killed me just after I left home, thankfully I anticipated that he wasn't going to stop when it was my right of way!:rolleyes: My years of riding motorbikes taught me this lesson, always ride defensively!
Oh, how true. Had a similar happening as of today (not as dramatic) and the defensive style of riding helps a lot.

A Grand "Smart Sam" Tyre Test (Vado) - Mixed Terrain Ride

Some of you might have already known my opinion on Turbo Vado: "The e-bike that loves the road". Whenever I was riding off-road with the Vado, I was regretting that. The reason was quite banal: The otherwise excellent Electrak 2.0 tyres were perfect for road (very low rolling resistance, extremely good road grip, hard to puncture) but they "hated" unpaved roads. My main worry was these tyres could not cope with loose sand (and there is plenty of sand in Mazovia).

@FlatSix911 and @TS25 were patiently explaining to me I just needed different tyres for my Vado and they have eventually convinced me. Their advice was "try Schwalbe Smart Sam". I was afraid of harsher ride on tyres of less air volume; and of noise of knobby tyres. I shouldn't have worried as it turned out.

I had two rides on Friday: A shorter one early in the morning (to prove the tyres could do in the local forest), and a longer afternoon one in deliberately mixed terrain. What great tyres! Silent on paved surfaces, aggressive off-road. Less cushioning action was countered with the inflation pressure close to the rated minimum; and the suspension handlebars as well as seat-post worked more actively. Of course, the 1.75" tyres are not the 2.6" (as are on my Trance E+), and the lack of suspension hurts a little but not that much as I was afraid of!

1600474474043.png

On the early morning forest ride. The temp was 8 C (46 F)!

1600471263370.png

My chosen route deliberately involved more of off-road and gravel roads than of blacktop/macadam (or it felt so). Interestingly, the road construction (at least in Mazovia) is actively continued and more and more local roads are of high quality. For instance, the street I live at has been recently paved with macadam, and that street had been a dirt one for the whole time before! Regarding the weather (which was sunny), I was oppressed with strong cold wind (took no windbreaker with me) and I returned home rather chilled.

1600471651014.png

There was a lot of sand (over hard) on my way. I found with pleasure the Smart Sam tyres were able to handle such surface well. I met some issues with deeper sand but even that could be ridden over.

1600471802302.png

In the infamous Mazovian sands.

1600472007019.png

I visited the "mansion of Józef Chełmoński" in Kuklówka Zarzeczna. Chełmoński was a realist painter, and he moved into this house in 1889, where he lived until his death in 1914. I'm sure the house looked far better when the painter lived there...

1600472307475.png

"Storks", one of Chełmoński's best known paintings.

1600472515322.png

A lot of forest paths, easier or harder.

1600472426409.png

On a rail trail. That's a novelty for Poland.

1600472711460.png

At a windmill lover. He had a plenty of windmills in his garden!

1600472808399.png

An apple-tree that belonged to no-one. I could not resist it and ate an apple. What a taste! How juicy it was! (I think I can understand Adam & Eve now...)

1600472987334.png

I've been to these crossroads for many times, and I used to describe the place as "backwoods". How much has it changed over half a year! Let us start with a new asphalt road leading to this junction...

I was just eating a piece of kiełbasa at a bus shelter in Kraśnicza Wola when a gentleman approached me:
-- Good day and bon appetite! Wasn't it you zooming around there for couple of times? I can recognise the red helmet, the powerful headlight, and you were just zooming at high speed by my house?! -- Yes, that was me! -- What the heck this vehicle is?! A registered bicycle? So fast?!

And we had a good half an hour talk. Surprising how many people think e-bike is about pushing the throttle... (which is technically forbidden in the EU). The man was enchanted. He only saddened after he learned that specific e-bike cost four-thousand dollar discounted price. (You can buy a car for half of that in Poland. Very old car but you can).

1600474309977.png

Fifty well spent miles. All in 25/25% Eco mode. I needed a solid workout!

Last edited:
Oh, how true. Had a similar happening as of today (not as dramatic) and the defensive style of riding helps a lot.

Some of you might have already known my opinion on Turbo Vado: "The e-bike that loves the road". Whenever I was riding off-road with the Vado, I was regretting that. The reason was quite banal: The otherwise excellent Electrak 2.0 tyres were perfect for road (very low rolling resistance, extremely good road grip, hard to puncture) but they "hated" unpaved roads. My main worry was there tyres could not cope with loose sand (and there is plenty of sand in Mazovia).

@FlatSix911 and @TS25 were patiently explaining to me I just needed different tyres for my Vado and they have eventually convinced me. Their advice was "try Schwalbe Smart Sam". I was afraid of harsher ride on tyres of less air volume; and of noise of knobby tyres. I shouldn't have worried as it turned out.

I had two rides on Friday: A shorter one early in the morning (to prove the tyres could do in the local forest), and a longer afternoon one in deliberately mixed terrain. What great tyres! Silent on paved surfaces, aggressive off-road. Less cushioning action was countered with the inflation pressure close to the rated minimum; and the suspension handlebars as well as seat-post worked more actively. Of course, the 1.75" tyres are not the 2.6" (as are on my Trance E+), and the lack of suspension hurts a little but not that much as I was afraid of!

View attachment 65767

View attachment 65755
My chosen route deliberately involved more of off-road and gravel roads than of blacktop/macadam (or it felt so). Interestingly, the road construction (at least in Mazovia) is actively continued and more and more local roads are of high quality. For instance, the street I live at has been recently paved with macadam, and that street had been a dirt one for the whole time before! Regarding the weather (which was sunny), I was oppressed with strong cold wind (took no windbreaker with me) and I returned home rather chilled.

View attachment 65756
There was a lot of sand (over hard) on my way. I found with pleasure the Smart Sam tyres were able to handle such surface well. I met some issues with deeper sand but even that could be ridden over.

View attachment 65757

View attachment 65758
I visited the "mansion of Józef Chełmoński" in Kuklówka Zarzeczna. Chełmoński was a realist painter, and he moved into this house in 1889, where he lived until his death in 1914. I'm sure the house looked far better when the painter lived there...

View attachment 65759

View attachment 65762

View attachment 65761

View attachment 65763

View attachment 65764
An apple-tree that belonged to no-one. I could not resist it and ate an apple. What a taste! How juicy it was! (I think I can understand Adam & Eve now...)

View attachment 65765
I've been to these crossroads for many times, and I used to describe the place as "backwoods". How much has it changed over half a year! Let us start with a new asphalt road leading to this junction...

I was just eating a piece of kiełbasa at a bus shelter in Kraśnicza Wola when a gentleman approached me:
-- Good day and bon appetite! Wasn't it you zooming around there for couple of times? I can recognise the red helmet, the powerful headlight, and you were just zooming at high speed by my house?! -- Yes, that was me! -- What the heck this vehicle is?! A registered bicycle? So fast?!

And we had a good half an hour talk. Surprising how many people think e-bike is about pushing the throttle... (which is technically forbidden in the EU). The man was enchanted. He only saddened after he learned that specific e-bike cost four-thousand dollar discounted price. (You can buy a car for half of that in Poland. Very old car but you can).

View attachment 65766

Excellent review and color commentary!

Some of you might have already known my opinion on Turbo Vado: "The e-bike that loves the road". Whenever I was riding off-road with the Vado, I was regretting that. The reason was quite banal: The otherwise excellent Electrak 2.0 tyres were perfect for road (very low rolling resistance, extremely good road grip, hard to puncture) but they "hated" unpaved roads. My main worry was there tyres could not cope with loose sand (and there is plenty of sand in Mazovia).

View attachment 65767

View attachment 65755

View attachment 65756

View attachment 65757

View attachment 65758

View attachment 65759

View attachment 65762

View attachment 65761

View attachment 65763

View attachment 65764

View attachment 65765

View attachment 65766
"Storks" is a beautiful painting. Thank you for sharing.

"No ride today! Need to conserve stamina for tomorrow's 122 km ride! Perhaps just small shopping..." -

- I wrote that to my Facebook friends in the morning.

1600538618120.png

Indeed. The "little shopping" eventually ended with:
  1. A new windbreaker (Decathlon)
  2. Set of bike brushes (Decathlon)
  3. Chain tool, good up to 12-speed chains (Decathlon)
  4. Chain links - similar to Missing Link (Decathlon)
  5. Degreaser-lube (Decathlon)
  6. Two loaves of bread (Podkowa Leśna)
  7. A bottle of rum (Podkowa Leśna)
Looking for excuses to ride out is nasty... :D

My favourite is Captain Morgan Gold Spiced Rum. Are you getting that in Canada? It is made in Scotland... But the store had no Cpt (probably all area is empty on that brand because of mine & Brix' activity over past two weeks) :D So I settled on the Bacardi equivalent.

My favourite is Captain Morgan Gold Spiced Rum. Are you getting that in Canada? It is made in Scotland... But the store had no Cpt (probably all area is empty on that brand because of mine & Brix' activity over past two weeks) :D So I settled on the Bacardi equivalent.
We get most anything here including that one, but my favorite Rum is Mount Gay from Barbados. I am not a fan of Spiced rum for some reason. I can buy the Mount Gay amber Rum in very large bottles from Costco (very popular big store, I think they've opened some in Europe). I don't think I've ever had a Rum I didn't enjoy when on vacation in Barbados.

Clouds over the South Pacific …

Queens Beach & Osbourne Point on Redcliffe Peninsula, Queensland

52 km; 10.22 am
Queens Beach & Osbourne Point
Redcliffe Peninsula
Compare the sky with that in the photo of the Shorncliffe Pier (post #2644) taken two hours before. Grey skies gone! Nothing, well almost nothing, will disturb the bank of clouds

Map : Kalinga Park to Scarborough : 102 km

Last edited by a moderator:
Back into cellphone reception.
Its not good having your own thoughts in bed at night :)
The hotel gave us a little booklet and this was the map of the area in it, all thats missing is Mordor and the Misty Mountains .
20200920_092456-1.jpg

Stefan thankyou, I had a little peak at your channel and see you in a different light..in a good way of course.

The temps had dropped a bit and the smoke had cleared for at least the morning so I set off at 10AM yesterday for a loop ride I'd been wanting to do.
Screenshot_2020-09-19-17-03-50.jpg

I laid the route out in Kamoot and downloaded the map as I'd be out of range for much of the day. I also brought a power bank for the phone so I could keep the screen on all day.

I logged 44.3 miles on Kamoot vs 45.2 on the Specialized display, not a bad correlation! Just over 6,000 feet of climbing on a route that included just under 10 miles of gravel and dirt roads. I got home just before 4PM having finished 4 of my 5 water bottles and ~1/2 of my snacks.

P1010407.jpg

The first dirt section was a downhill headed to the Purdon Crossing bridge over the South Yuba River. Hard to see in the pic but these sections are badly rutted by winter storms.

P1010408.jpg

The Purdon Crossing bridge was right where I left it earlier in the summer. Not many people here for a late summer Saturday morning.

P1010409.jpg

The river's swimming holes were beautiful, but empty at 11AM.

After finishing my first water bottle I headed up Purdon Grade towards the San Juan Ridge, or as the locals call it, 'The Ridge'. It's a 24 mile long geologic feature that became home to groups of 'free thinkers' in the '60's. It became known for its prolific marijuana crop rivaling the Emerald Triangle of Humboldt County to the NW. It's still relatively remote despite some better roads. It's best to stay on established roads and pay attention to private property signs. Some still take their privacy very seriously up on The Ridge.

P1010416.jpg

Mother Truckers Market at Purdon Road and Tyler Foote Crossing Road on The Ridge. Originally a frut and vegtable truck in the 70's Mothers has grown into the local hangout as well as the source of everything vegitartian on The Ridge, unless you grow it yourself of course.

More a bit later. My wife says I have chores to do...😎

I turned onto Tyler Foote Road and came across this area just before the Cruzon Grade;
P1010419.jpg

Remnants of hydraulic mining from nearly 140 years ago.

P1010420.jpg

The North Columbia school house has been the site of popular poetry readings for decades, but not this year. The sign says "Population ? Elevation 3015". Snow country.

After more than an hour of climbing the Cruzon Grade I spied my lunch stop;
P1010424.jpg

Still miles to go, but not as steep, and then some downhill!

Ready for lunch. It's about 12:30PM now.
P1010426.jpg

Originally named Humbug by the earliest miners due to the lack of 'color' they found. Hydraulic mining changed everything.
P1010437.jpg

Hydraulic mining was so successful that at its peak it brought over 10,000 people to Humbug, CA
P1010431.jpg

Hydraulic mining washed rock and dirt into local creeks and rivers that eventually was responsible for flooding in lower valley towns like Yuba City and Marysville. Marysville constructed dikes around the town to help prevent flooding. It was said that hydraulic mining was responsible for a foot per year of fill in San Francisco bay. This contined until 1884 when the Sawyer decision outlawed hydraulic mining. Local hard rock mining continued until closed as a non-essential industry during WWII.

More later. Dinner's ready!

To quote Rab H this weekend provided a pair of awesome rides. The smoke from the U.S. fires lessened (thoughts and prayers to our southern neighbors dealing with these devastating forest fires) and we could once again see the peaks along the surrounding ranges (Purcells and Rocky mountains). On Saturday we followed along the grand opening of the legacy trail - a 24 km paved trail on the west side of Lake Windermere - at the half way point before turning back home we managed to find a spot on a balcony of an Invermere pub overlooking the lake that even had Guiness on tap - not as perfect as was poured on on past trips to Europe but a Guiness nevertheless. This morning as I left for some mountain trekking with my brother-in-law who like Stefan loves his Giant Trance e-bike we met this momma black bear and cubs - luckily she was more interested in the berry bushes than my lunch in the back pack. We had a good climb up Fairmont Ridge along "Spirit Trail" single track and even with e-bikes on turbo there were sections my breathing was louder than our bear bells clanging away.
20200919_114405.jpg
20200920_192432.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 285
Back