2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Well the rain did come yesterday so I waited until today, it was dry but very windy! Lots of climbing once again but the bike did most of the work this time! ;) I even managed a bit of off road, well about 200 yards!🤣 I spotted a road I had never ventured up before and decided to have a look, at first I thought I had found a little gem until I was greeted with this!

View attachment 65491

Its steeper than it looks in the photo...I noticed paved road at the top of the climb so off I went but I had no choice but to turn back as it was much worse over the brow of the hill...back down we go (very gingerly) and yes I did stay in the saddle (only just):p It almost looks flat there, the camera really does lie!;)

View attachment 65494

The road started like this, that's why I thought it was going to be a gem...on checking when I got home its the road to nowhere!🤣

View attachment 65495

Lets just say I won't be giving @Chargeride a run for his money!;) Not the most scenic route today but still lots of fun, even with a 30mph easterly wind!

View attachment 65496
A Pony too!

Sonny met Sport today in downtown PS. Fairly nice day, temp mid 80s late in the am air quality under a 100. Come on 90 degree highs!

Attachments

• Sonny meets Sport.jpg
    Sonny meets Sport.jpg
    842.6 KB · Views: 297
our annoying black and white ones are pretty cautious around me, could it be that they notice I enjoy "skeet" shooting clay pigeons with the 12 guage,
I had to give up on the 12 gauge b/c of shoulder pain... tried a .410 and shot up a whole box of shells before I hit even one.:(

I rode once again the other day to deep into the bush of Louisa county.Some of these are roads I've never traveled, bike or car. What attracted me was a side loop my farmer friend Arnold mentioned to me. I'd hope to scope out, do my part for the thread...but I was sidetracked to Route 522 (55mph). Perhaps twelve miles into the heart of darkness I was tootling along placidly searching for my new road when there was this neat little white house with a front porch entrance obscured by a large flapping Trump flag. 'Well look at that' I idly said to myself...suddenly three Dalmatians dashed from underneath the flag churning towards me like torpedoes. Turbo don't fail me now, and I left them gasping, me looking into my helmet mirror and laughing. I missed my turn while chuckling though not obviously until Rt 522 revealed itself. I went down it a mile to convince my self of the worst. I stopped to photograph this iron cow then turned around.
IMG_0363.JPG

moving along this shady lane I liked to think the shiloutte is the Maltese Falcon
IMG_0346.JPG

Early in the ride I saw Mr. Harris' suspicious cows...don't know where they get it...Mr. Harris is a friendly fellow
IMG_0355.JPG

While taking this barn photo a nice couple walking their dog set me on the right path to Oilville ("You mean you came all the way from there?)
IMG_0357.JPG

Once home I set out an antidote, a bit off garlic to repel mad dogs
IMG_0371.JPG

Our air quality was good enough for a ride today. Kept it to 26 miles. No breathing issues though my wife was having a few so she stayed home. I road a loop that follows some pretty gravel and paved backroads. I had planned on riding over an old steel bridge I was able to drive over in my younger years, I think I was driving my '49 Ford pickup at the time. I was dissapointed when I arrived to find the bridge closed to all traffic.

0916201208_Film1.jpg

Known locally as the Cotton Bros bridge after its builder, Cotton Bros & Co, the bridge was authorized for construction in 1898.

I found a rough inscription in the newer concrete bridge abutments that read "1951". I think I last crossed it in the 60's. What's the saying; "If you can remember the 60's, you weren't there"?...🤣

I'm sure structural failire of the wooden bridge deck caused its closing.

IMG_8897-1536x1024.jpg

You just make out the concrete and steel replacement bridge under the Cotton Bros bridge.

I found these citations for this bridge online;

“NEVADA CITY, CAL – Cotton Bros. & Co, Oakland, CAL were awarded a contract April 14 by the county supervisors for constructing the following bridges; steel bridge over Deer Creek, $2,248.” – Engineering News and American Railway Journal, Volume 39, April 28, 1898, pg. 145

“The Cotton Brothers and Company was an important California based bridge builder of metal truss bridges in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century. They built several bridges in Nevada County during the 1890’s, including the Purdon Bridge.” – Historic American Building Survey, National Park Service

I posted earlier about the Purdon Crossing bridge over the S. Yuba River.

Both of these bridges are Pratt Through Truss bridges as the road bed runs through the truss. The Purdon Crossing bridge has been reognized for its historical significance. I hope that this unique bit of history is recognized and restored as well.

The Sacramento Valley's AQI was 55 this afternoon. Heading for a ride down there in the AM.

Ride On!...😎

Our air quality was good enough for a ride today. Kept it to 26 miles. No breathing issues though my wife was having a few so she stayed home. I road a loop that follows some pretty gravel and paved backroads. I had planned on riding over an old steel bridge I was able to drive over in my younger years, I think I was driving my '49 Ford pickup at the time. I was dissapointed when I arrived to find the bridge closed to all traffic.

View attachment 65551
Known locally as the Cotton Bros bridge after its builder, Cotton Bros & Co, the bridge was authorized for construction in 1898.

I found a rough inscription in the newer concrete bridge abutments that read "1951". I think I last crossed it in the 60's. What's the saying; "If you can remember the 60's, you weren't there"?...🤣

View attachment 65552
You just make out the concrete and steel replacement bridge under the Cotton Bros bridge.

“NEVADA CITY, CAL – Cotton Bros. & Co, Oakland, CAL were awarded a contract April 14 by the county supervisors for constructing the following bridges; steel bridge over Deer Creek, $2,248.” – Engineering News and American Railway Journal, Volume 39, April 28, 1898, pg. 145

“The Cotton Brothers and Company was an important California based bridge builder of metal truss bridges in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century. They built several bridges in Nevada County during the 1890’s, including the Purdon Bridge.” – Historic American Building Survey, National Park Service

Both of these bridges are Pratt Through Truss bridges as the road bed runs through the truss. The Purdon Crossing bridge has been reognized for its historical significance. I hope that this unique bit of history is recognized and restored as well.

The Sacramento Valley's AQI was 55 this afternoon. Heading for a ride down there in the AM.

Ride On!...😎

We had a bridge very much like that between my grandparent's farm and one of my uncle's dairy farm in NE Kansas. As a kid in the 50s and 60s I hated that bridge. I actually developed a real phobia of bridges because of it. You could feel the thing move under the car when you drove over it. When I was about 12 I was down town in Topeka one day and the Main Street bridge, Kansas Ave. I think it was, collapsed. This did not help my phobia one bit. I got over it though.

Last edited:
We had a bridge very much like that between my grandparent's farm and one of my uncle's dairy farm in NE Kansas. As a kid in the 50s and 60s I hated that bridge. I actually developed a real phobia of bridges because of it. You could feel the thing move under the car when you drove over it. When I was about 12 I was down town in Topeka one day and the Main Street bridge, Topeka Blvd I think it was, collapsed. This did not help my phobia one bit. I got over it though.
Yep, bridge engineering has evolved dramatically with the digital world. The first Tacoma Narrows bridge is often cited in engineering schools as the prime example. This state of the art bridge opened in 1940 spanning a total of 5,939ft with the longest span being 2,800ft it immediately earned the nickname of "Gallopin' Gertie" for its tendency to sway in the winds. It failed in NOV of the same year due to "aeroelastic flutter", basically harmonic distortion reinforced by strong wind gusts.
RKZGRJUIIC4DJXJU6GCDMDNH2E.jpg

The first Tacoma Narrows bridge goes into failue mode in the same year it was finished.

28d1e9d7-e528-43c1-943d-1f4d41ce630a-large3x4_narrows_bridge_galloping_gertie_01.jpg

It's said that "doctors bury their mistakes, engineers live with them forever".

Photos from komonews.com and kiro7.com.

lt's certainly a testament to the engineers of San Francisco's Golden gate bridge that it has successfully with stood the strong gusty winds of the gate. Completed in 1937 its total span is nearly 9,000 feet with a main span of 4,200 feet. No wonder the American Society of Civil Engineers has declared it one of the wonders of the modern world!

Yep, bridge engineering has evolved dramatically with the digital world. The first Tacoma Narrows bridge is often cited in engineering schools as the prime example. This state of the art bridge opened in 1940 spanning a total of 5,939ft with the longest span being 2,800ft it immediately earned the nickname of "Gallopin' Gertie" for its tendency to sway in the winds. It failed in NOV of the same year due to "aeroelastic flutter", basically harmonic distortion reinforced by strong wind gusts.
View attachment 65561
The first Tacoma Narrows bridge goes into failue mode in the same year it was finished.
View attachment 65560
It's said that "doctors bury their mistakes, engineers live with them forever".
Photos from komonews.com and kiro7.com.

lt's certainly a testament to the engineers of San Francisco's Golden gate bridge that it has successfully withstood the strong gusty winds of the gate. Completed in 1937 its total span is nearly 9,000 feet with a main span of 4,200 feet. No wonder the American Society of Civil Engineers has declared it one of the wonders of the modern world!

Very interesting... thanks for sharing.

Doctors bury their mistakes; engineers live with them forever …
And arborists claim creative licence …

2020-09-16-083734-2400-w1g6b1.jpg

8.37 am, 25 km
Moreton Bay Cycleway
Sandgate Beach, Brisbane

2020-09-16-map-25.jpg

The straight stretch of cycleway between the yellow arrows is the Ted Smout Bridge which is about 50% longer than the total length of Galloping Gertie.

The Ted Smout Bridge's design was revised following Hurricane Katrina (immediately before start of construction) to cope with shallow water storm surge occasioned by a tropical cyclone. It's unlikely that the bridge will be put to that test but the extra four metres in height gives cyclists a good view across the bay! Click for photo.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 65551

View attachment 65552

Ride On!...😎
That is so American ,I love it.

Explored some ruins that I ride past with barely a look to find they are slightly interesting.
Screenshot_2020-09-17-13-38-19.png

Hollinshead Hall, all thats left is the well house, the structure was built by Catholics as a fake dairy where they could hold mass and baptism in secret as the faith was banned at the time.

Screenshot_2020-09-17-13-38-45.png

It is a true well and was used in medieval times by pilgrims.

The hall itself, now completely gone was chosen as one of the time keeping points and had a room with a clock and vertical slits in the wall to compare the clock with the suns rays.
Screenshot_2020-09-17-13-38-56.png

These were used to check the new Gregorian time that Pope Gregory had introduced and Britain was considering adopting it after checking it was useable.
The results confirmed it ,but we had strayed 10 days off Europe, so we jumped forward and there were reports of riots as people thought they had 10 days stolen off their lives.
So that led to Greenwich Mean Time and the rest is history.

Such a glorious day today so first of all I took dad to a local park, best to go early while it was quiet!

1600346485356.jpeg

Now it was time for cycling, its such a joy when the weather is nice and with very little wind it really was such a fantastic trip! My time was limited but I made the most of it, tomorrow is looking much the same so I will look forward to another lovely day in the saddle! On days like these I'm glad I'm still off work!;)

This little Shetland pony totally ignored me, I think the grass was too tasty! :p

1600346859327.jpeg

I tried another new road today and this one proved more fruitful, no off roading this time!:p

1600347503413.jpeg

1600347035860.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile202.jpg
    elevation_profile202.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 265
  • trip-56254451-map-full115.png
    trip-56254451-map-full115.png
    423.5 KB · Views: 281
  • 20200917_105920.jpg
    20200917_105920.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 280