2020 GIANT Explore-E+ Maximum Range Expectations

Dickie T

I’m pretty much committed to buying an ebike and recently learned that my LBS has taken on the complete line of GIANT Bikes. I’ve been doing business with this shop for close to 30 years and would like to continue supporting them. The Explorer E+ 4 GTS has caught me attention but I’m concerned about the 400kwh battery not having enough wattage to meet my needs. Most of my longer rides are 50-60+ miles in length with an occasional 70+ miler. The main reason I’m looking at an ebike is so I can handle these rides with a bit more ease. I’m 70 years old and have been slowed by a 3 level spinal fusion a little over a year ago. My riding these days is pretty much on local rails to trails which are pretty flat with a suface of compacted crushed limestone and gravel. My expected average pace would be roughly 12.5 mph.

So I’m looking for some “real world” feedback on what this bike is capable of achieving in maximum range under these riding conditions...Thanks

In my humble opinion only, you are absolutely going to want a 500kwh model. I can cover these distances (up to 60 or so) dependably on flattish terrain on my ToughRoad, but that is with the 500. The crushed stone surface really adds a lot of drag also, which is a range killer. A nice feature of the Yamaha system is the lack of appreciable drag when riding with the power off, which you can do across flats easily at least on a paved rail trail... it really adds to your range. But if you're out riding by yourself, like I usually am, you tend to ride faster than if you're just tooling along with a friend, and that impacts range also.

The last time I rode with a couple of friends on a gravel trail through the woods we went twenty some odd miles and I think I used maybe five percent of my battery. If it's just me it would look more like twenty percent, because I would have be in Eco all the way and be going a heck of a lot quicker.

If your favorite distance is 50 or higher, 400 won't get it. You'll be a nervous wreck from watching the range all day. My own favorite distance is 30 - 35 which is nothing, even if I go in Normal (middle range) mode the whole way. My last bike had a 400kwh battery and I would never have attempted to go that far without the charger in a pannier on the back. Big part of why I got this one!

Totally agree with @Saratoga Dave
If that's the bike you want, then ask if you can trade up the battery to the 500. I believe they are the same size and should fit with no modifications.

Thanks...This confirms my thoughts. Recently read that Giant now has a 250kwh range extender for some of their 2020 ebikes. It’d be good to know whether or not the 2020 Explorer E+4 GTS is one of those bikes. I’m going to run this by my LBS.

In my humble opinion only, you are absolutely going to want a 500kwh model. I can cover these distances (up to 60 or so) dependably on flattish terrain on my ToughRoad, but that is with the 500. The crushed stone surface really adds a lot of drag also, which is a range killer. A nice feature of the Yamaha system is the lack of appreciable drag when riding with the power off, which you can do across flats easily at least on a paved rail trail... it really adds to your range. But if you're out riding by yourself, like I usually am, you tend to ride faster than if you're just tooling along with a friend, and that impacts range also.

The last time I rode with a couple of friends on a gravel trail through the woods we went twenty some odd miles and I think I used maybe five percent of my battery. If it's just me it would look more like twenty percent, because I would have be in Eco all the way and be going a heck of a lot quicker.

If your favorite distance is 50 or higher, 400 won't get it. You'll be a nervous wreck from watching the range all day. My own favorite distance is 30 - 35 which is nothing, even if I go in Normal (middle range) mode the whole way. My last bike had a 400kwh battery and I would never have attempted to go that far without the charger in a pannier on the back. Big part of why I got this one!

If your favorite distance is 50 or higher, 400 won't get it. You'll be a nervous wreck from watching the range all day. My own favorite distance is 30 - 35 which is nothing, even if I go in Normal (middle range) mode the whole way. My last bike had a 400kwh battery and I would never have attempted to go

I actually ride a slower more controlled pace when I’m on my own. Main reason I’m looking to get an ebike is so I can keep up with my buddies who are 5-15 years younger than me and haven’t had a 3 level spinal fusion!!!

Range extender if it is available would change the game completely. It seems Giant is moving towards the 375kwh main with an optional 275 booster. Don’t love it, but it would definitely be a good solution for your scenario.

by the way, these are really nice bikes

I think you'll be pushing it even with a 500w battery. 60 miles (100 km) MIGHT be doable if you keep to the lowest assist level, but what fun is that? When I'd borrowed a 2019 Explore E+3 for a day (400w battery) by the time I finished an almost 60 km (about 38 miles) ride there was really no battery left. With my 2019 Explore E+1 (500w) using the mid level power assist I have no problem doing about 50 miles but there's not much left in the battery. Actually what I do lately is ride my to-work commute (30km) and then charge the battery there (I have a second charger) because if I wanted to run an errand during the day with the bike, I worry about maybe not having enough juice left to make it all the way home. I rarely charge the battery to full 100%, but bring it up to about 85% or so. By the time I make it home there's about 40% left.

Is your ride a fun ride or commute? Do you need to carry anything with you (rack and panniers?).

At the pace you mention, using little assist, with 500w battery you should have no problem. But be aware that pedaling one of these bikes without using assist is a lot harder than an acoustic bike. So you'll want to be using assist.

It doesn't look like the Explore E+4 will accept the add-on range booster battery that some of their other new models do. If you look at something like the Fastroad E+ EX Pro you'd be able to do what you want but it's a whole different price range especially with the add-on battery. But that bike has overall much better components also and you'd probably enjoy it more.

Let us know what you end up with.

I think you'll be pushing it even with a 500w battery. 60 miles (100 km) MIGHT be doable if you keep to the lowest assist level, but what fun is that? When I'd borrowed a 2019 Explore E+3 for a day (400w battery) by the time I finished an almost 60 km (about 38 miles) ride there was really no battery left. With my 2019 Explore E+1 (500w) using the mid level power assist I have no problem doing about 50 miles but there's not much left in the battery. Actually what I do lately is ride my to-work commute (30km) and then charge the battery there (I have a second charger) because if I wanted to run an errand during the day with the bike, I worry about maybe not having enough juice left to make it all the way home. I rarely charge the battery to full 100%, but bring it up to about 85% or so. By the time I make it home there's about 40% left.

Is your ride a fun ride or commute? Do you need to carry anything with you (rack and panniers?).

At the pace you mention, using little assist, with 500w battery you should have no problem. But be aware that pedaling one of these bikes without using assist is a lot harder than an acoustic bike. So you'll want to be using assist.

It doesn't look like the Explore E+4 will accept the add-on range booster battery that some of their other new models do. If you look at something like the Fastroad E+ EX Pro you'd be able to do what you want but it's a whole different price range especially with the add-on battery. But that bike has overall much better components also and you'd probably enjoy it more.

Let us know what you end up with.

Yup...400kwh battery won’t get the job done for me and the Fastroad E+ EX Pro with the range extender would probably do it, but with my back issues I really need front suspension and would also need a suspension seat post which wouldn’t work on the propriety D- Fuse design. Am now leaning towards the 2020 Bulls Lacuba EVO Lite which comes with a 750kwh Supercore battery!

Yes for me, the 700 x50s. On my second rear tire. Run them at about 45 psi

Like Mtl_Biker, they run tubeless, though I use Stan’s.

Last edited:
Yup...400kwh battery won’t get the job done for me and the Fastroad E+ EX Pro with the range extender would probably do it, but with my back issues I really need front suspension and would also need a suspension seat post which wouldn’t work on the propriety D- Fuse design. Am now leaning towards the 2020 Bulls Lacuba EVO Lite which comes with a 750kwh Supercore battery!
Which Lacuba EVO Lite? Looks like there are several and some are even belt-driven. Is there a dealer for that somewhere close to you? Using the Bulls site to search for dealers, I don't find any in Canada or the USA. And if that's the case, I wouldn't buy one. It's bad enough to mail order a bike from somewhere in your own country, but what would you do when/if something goes wrong with the bike?

But those look like really great bikes. SIGH

Have you thought about trying to find a 2019 Giant Explore E+1?

I know I’m late to this thread, but I think rider weight and force input are the two main factors in range. How much weight will the bike be carrying? Will you treat it like a normal bike, only using the motor when you have to and put a lot of effort into your ride or do you want the most comfy experience? All depends.

FWIW - I weigh 175 lbs and get 50 miles (in imperial terms) on my 2019 Explore E+ 1. I mostly used the second assist level (Eco+). The lowest assist level is almost useless. I am quite fit and can ride almost the same speed on my road bike over flat ground. But add panniers + 20 lbs of groceries and a steep hill...

FWIW - I weigh 175 lbs and get 50 miles (in imperial terms) on my 2019 Explore E+ 1. I mostly used the second assist level (Eco+). The lowest assist level is almost useless. I am quite fit and can ride almost the same speed on my road bike over flat ground. But add panniers + 20 lbs of groceries and a steep hill...
Same weight. Same bike. I usually ride in Normal mode and am often riding beyond the assist level (just ordered a BikeSpeed RS) and I think that with 50 miles (80 km) I'd have just about no battery charge left. My commute is 30km each way and if I start with about 95% charge, by the time I get to work it's down to 45-50-ish. At work I usually charge again for 1 to 2 hours, (rarely back up to full) just to make sure I have enough charge to get home and maybe to run an errand during the day. The commute home is always tougher in that direction because of strong headwinds at the end of the day. I have panniers with tools and spare tube, computer, rain gear, extra gloves, etc. And I have some hills in both directions. I felt I really needed to keep a second charger at my office.

I own an Explore E+ with 400 hw battery and find the range more than adequate for my needs. For that price range updating to the 500 hw battery is just nonsense. If your seriously think that 70+ miles to be too constraining then you should be looking at different brands not overpriced add-pns to a value priced eBike.

2019 Explore+3, marathon plus 47mm, 185lbs, mostly flats, average about 12mph, level 2-3 assist...
So far about 6 trips of right about 20 miles - 60% of battery left.

Getting 50 miles consistently might be a challenge, might do it. You won't know 'till you try.

I hit the limiter regularly - kind of stalls out. After a few months when I figure I can forego a warranty I'll be doing a de-limiter of one sort or another.
The wife likes to ride together and her favorite speed is about 18, so that works out well for now.

I had not heard of a 'range-extender' aux batt, but if not too many $$ would surely be the ticket.

It's a really nice bike for the money. 👍

If you really want the Yamaha motor Haibike might be an option, and may come with a bigger battery. I can't speak to them directly, but been eyeballing their mtb's.

2019 Explore+3, marathon plus 47mm, 185lbs, mostly flats, average about 12mph, level 2-3 assist...
So far about 6 trips of right about 20 miles - 60% of battery left.

Getting 50 miles consistently might be a challenge, might do it. You won't know 'till you try.

I hit the limiter regularly - kind of stalls out. After a few months when I figure I can forego a warranty I'll be doing a de-limiter of one sort or another.
The wife likes to ride together and her favorite speed is about 18, so that works out well for now.

I had not heard of a 'range-extender' aux batt, but if not too many $$ would surely be the ticket.

It's a really nice bike for the money. 👍

If you really want the Yamaha motor Haibike might be an option, and may come with a bigger battery. I can't speak to them directly, but been eyeballing their mtb's.

The "range-extender" battery is only for certain new 2020 Giant models. Unfortunately. And most of those use a 375w battery instead of 400 or 500.

I received my BikeSpeed RS last week and was going to install it today (bought a crank puller yesterday) but now it's snowing and the forecast is for 20cm of snow!!! Looks like my riding season is coming to a sudden end, and there's no way I'll try to ride at speed (or at all) on snow-covered and icy roads. SIGH

I'm hoping for a few days of bare and dry roads before the real winter sets in, but with the record cold temperatures promised for the next couple of weeks, it's unlikely.

My eBike app may be grossly inaccurate but I’m getting around 1% battery usage per mile in Auto mode. I rarely ride more than 30 miles but haven’t seen anyone else report anywhere close to being that efficient with the rolling hill terrain here in Maine. I recharge after getting down to 20%. Been riding only a couple of months and can’t explain why my mileage is so far from the reported norm but expect it due to my fabulous good looks.

Back