2020 Civante Review, Initial 100 mile Impressions

Hi All,

It's now been a few more months and my Civante is getting slightly louder. It sort of makes a Tie Fighter fly-by sound (ok, I exaggerate a bit) mostly when I am in eco, which is what I almost always use. If I move up to standard or turbo mode it quiets down. Is there something I might check anybody knows of?

For the ongoing search to make the shifting as smooth as possible, the 105 rear der seems to work really well. I think I might get a matching 105 cassette because it still is a bit clunky. My low end carbon road bike with 105 everything is much much smoother.

For a tire upgrade I am torn between going slightly gravel or go with a good 28mm road tire. I am not adverse to going a few miles on smooth fire road or crushed granite pathways (we have a few) on the stock tires. If I go with full road tires I'd probably not do that.

Overall the Civante is holding up quite well to about 50 miles a week and spending very little time on the rack. Good news so far.

Happy riding!

Hi All,

It's now been a few more months and my Civante is getting slightly louder. It sort of makes a Tie Fighter fly-by sound (ok, I exaggerate a bit) mostly when I am in eco, which is what I almost always use. If I move up to standard or turbo mode it quiets down. Is there something I might check anybody knows of?

For the ongoing search to make the shifting as smooth as possible, the 105 rear der seems to work really well. I think I might get a matching 105 cassette because it still is a bit clunky. My low end carbon road bike with 105 everything is much much smoother.

For a tire upgrade I am torn between going slightly gravel or go with a good 28mm road tire. I am not adverse to going a few miles on smooth fire road or crushed granite pathways (we have a few) on the stock tires. If I go with full road tires I'd probably not do that.

Overall the Civante is holding up quite well to about 50 miles a week and spending very little time on the rack. Good news so far.

Happy riding!
I run 32mm Conti GP 5000s on my analog road bike, you can do some very light gravel on it, and I don't think there's a noticeable downside vs 28s. Conti also has the GP Urban tire in 35mm.

Edit, to clarify, the GP 5000s are a top notch road tire, but in the 32mm width, they can do light gravel, so if you want something fast on the road with a little cushion or gravel tolerance, it's a great choice. Highly rated by the Bicycle Rolling Resistance website.

Last edited:
Great review, thanks!

I just bought a Civante and should receive it in 2-3 weeks. The frames seem to run small. I am 5'9" and the medium was too small so I bought a large which fits well. I actually wanted a straight bar bike and looked at the Cross Core. The motor petered out at 18mph and it became tough to pedal. Too bad it is not a 28mph bike. I looked at the 28mph 35 pound Specialized Vado 4.0 SL but it has a weak motor at 35N/m's and even on high it did not really have enough assist for my tastes for rolling hills where I ride. When I test rode the Civante, I was cruising along at 23mph on eco+ and std modes without breaking a sweat and I am 62.

I am already buying a Richey lightweight 30 degree riser stem (136 grams), a carbon seat post for a little more comfort and Pirelli Cinturato Velo TLR 32c tires which are fast low rolling resistance and puncture resistant lightweight tires. The tires have better puncture resistance and much lower rolling resistance compared to the Conti Gatorback Hardshells. https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...s-re-fuse-2019-vs-pirelli-cinturato-velo-2018

I am also getting a pair of MKS GR9 platform pedals with toe clips. They are light weight and built pretty well. I may also replace the derailleur cables with Jagwire low resistance stainless steel cables which should make shifting a little smoother.

Larry

Hey Larry

I can’t recall if this is in the thread already, and I’m too lazy to read the whole thing, but I did get that Ritchey stem which made the fit damn near perfect on my Civante. That little bit of rise made just the difference.

I’ve got somewhere around 1400 miles on it currently, still love it every time I head out of the garage. I have struggled with the right rack for my Topeak trunk bag since I don’t want a full fender. I am probably going to buy the Topeak Tetrarack R2 for it shortly. I currently have a Topeak beam rack which has performed fine, but the bag is a good six inches above the rear tire and with the Tetrarack I can drop it down considerably. It is quite literally a pain in the ass kicking my leg way up over that thing now to get off... the top of the bag is higher than the seat, and I am an exceedingly old geezer all of a sudden.

Hi Dave

Do you know what mm length that Richey is? I am just curious because I don't want to run into cable issues with them being too short for the rise and length. I am thinking about getting either the 80mm or 90mm. I would prefer an even higher rise at 40 to 45 degree angle. I will probably wait until the bike arrives to see how much cable length there is.

Glad to hear that you still love the bike. How is it holding up? There is a bike shop here that stopped carrying them due to a lot of mechanical issues with the frame.

I got the 80mm, 30 degree. It moves the bar position just under an inch up and an inch closer. No problem with the cables or anything else. It does put the display at a bit of an up angle as opposed to flat, and with all the other stuff being one piece - the assist controller and the base for the bell - it presents a challenge about how to mount a Wahoo or anything else that I have not yet conquered. I currently have my iPhone in a top tube gas tank style bag with a clear top, but i don’t like it there. Intention is to figure out some way to mount a Wahoo Roam, maybe with one of those extender bars that are seen in other threads here.

No problems with any other facet or function of the bike for me.

Thanks Dave. It looks like I will get the 80mm as I need the bars a little closer on the large frame. Have you upgraded the tires or seat post? I would prefer to run 28c tires as I run 25c on my current bike. But I think a 32c on an ebike will handle the weight and torque better than a 28c tire. Low rolling resistance tires really make a difference on regular bikes. I run Continental 5000 GT tires currently and they are very fast. It is not so much of an issue with an ebike but it may save a little battery life and extend the range. The Pirelli's that I am looking at will save a little over a pound in weight compared to the stock tires.

I will probably swap out the cassette for a Shimano 105 or Ultegra cassette to save a bit more weight. I would like to get the bike down to about 40 pounds.

Last edited:
Hi Dave

Do you know what mm length that Richey is? I am just curious because I don't want to run into cable issues with them being too short for the rise and length. I am thinking about getting either the 80mm or 90mm. I would prefer an even higher rise at 40 to 45 degree angle. I will probably wait until the bike arrives to see how much cable length there is.

Glad to hear that you still love the bike. How is it holding up? There is a bike shop here that stopped carrying them due to a lot of mechanical issues with the frame.
Hi Greydog,

I bought a Civante a month ago. I upgraded the pedals to the Shimano PD-540 and use the Specialized Recon 2 MTB shoes. I start to get uncomfortable on the seat after 30 miles of riding. But, I bought Rapha’s Pro Team bib and that has made a world of difference. Rapha’s Classic and Core bibs are also good. I bought the Pro Team bib for their dual-density chamois pad for comfort and support on my 40+ mile rides. I also bought the Zefal Magnum Water Bottles because they hold 33oz of water. I bought the Pro Bike Tool cage because it holds extra large water bottles well. I have a hack for putting the cage on the top of the frame using Velcro straps. It’s not elegant but it’s the only way I can hold the 33oz bottle on the top and a 24oz bottle in the normal bottle cage area especially on my 50-mile rides. 50-mile rides are usually my limit because it’s a hassle carrying two batteries and to be honest, I am exhausted after a 5-mile ride (lol). What kind of mechanical issues did your LBS find with the frame? Was it specifically on the Civante frame?

Last edited:
I got the 80mm, 30 degree. It moves the bar position just under an inch up and an inch closer. No problem with the cables or anything else. It does put the display at a bit of an up angle as opposed to flat, and with all the other stuff being one piece - the assist controller and the base for the bell - it presents a challenge about how to mount a Wahoo or anything else that I have not yet conquered. I currently have my iPhone in a top tube gas tank style bag with a clear top, but i don’t like it there. Intention is to figure out some way to mount a Wahoo Roam, maybe with one of those extender bars that are seen in other threads here.

No problems with any other facet or function of the bike for me.
Dave, with the current location of the display, I am having a hard time finding a USB-C “right angle” that is short enough to fit in the limited space I have to plug it in. You probably don’t have this problem because your stem is an inch higher. Did. You also have a hard time getting in a USB-C cable when the stem was in it’s original position?

Dave, with the current location of the display, I am having a hard time finding a USB-C “right angle” that is short enough to fit in the limited space I have to plug it in. You probably don’t have this problem because your stem is an inch higher. Did. You also have a hard time getting in a USB-C cable when the stem was in it’s original position?

I use this adapter on my Urban Rush (same configuration). It’s a bit fiddly to install but I just leave it there.

I haven’t found a right angle USB connector either. What an oversight that was, no design intelligence involved at all there.

Thanks WattsUp, I’m going to order that right now.

As for tires, I come from a touring bike background in the old days with tires that were probably 38mm or thereabouts, and my gravel ebike has 50s on it. So to me these 35s are about perfect... they feel substantial enough and the bike is super easy to ride with the motor off on flats or with any tailwind at all. Great for the range.

Oski,

Thanks for all the info. I will definitely look into all that gear. I don't ride clipless pedals though as my left knee screams at me when getting in and out of them. I have been riding toe clips for years. I just may cannibalize my non ebike for pedals and and some other gear. Next year I would like to look into putting a 10 spd 105 or Ultegra crank on the bike if possible and lighter wheels. It's overkill but fun.

Dave, I like the rear bike rack that you use. I will probably buy one for the rare occasion that I want to bring a battery charger or spare battery along or a change of clothes.

More pressing is that I need to find a lightweight road saddle that won't cause numbness in my butt and legs.

By the way, does anyone here live in the Twin Cities area? I live in a suburb called Woodbury.

I haven’t found a right angle USB connector either. What an oversight that was, no design intelligence involved at all there.

Thanks WattsUp, I’m going to order that right now.

As for tires, I come from a touring bike background in the old days with tires that were probably 38mm or thereabouts, and my gravel ebike has 50s on it. So to me these 35s are about perfect... they feel substantial enough and the bike is super easy to ride with the motor off on flats or with any tailwind at all. Great for the range.
I agree the tires are perfect! The bikes without drop handlebars (like the Moro Pro and Cross Connect) don’t have this issue because the display is in a different position. I really like the position of our displaysso I won’t be moving it around. I’m sure we’ll find a good cable configuration.

Oski,

Thanks for all the info. I will definitely look into all that gear. I don't ride clipless pedals though as my left knee screams at me when getting in and out of them. I have been riding toe clips for years. I just may cannibalize my non ebike for pedals and and some other gear. Next year I would like to look into putting a 10 spd 105 or Ultegra crank on the bike if possible and lighter wheels. It's overkill but fun.

Dave, I like the rear bike rack that you use. I will probably buy one for the rare occasion that I want to bring a battery charger or spare battery along or a change of clothes.

More pressing is that I need to find a lightweight road saddle that won't cause numbness in my butt and legs.

By the way, does anyone here live in the Twin Cities area? I live in a suburb called Woodbury.
Sure thing Greydog, I live in San Diego so quite far from Twin Cities. I’d also like to upgrade the group set to the 105’s. But, I’ve heard the 105’s are now 11-speed and Yamaha says the Civante motor was programmed to work as a 10-speed. Changing the group set to an 11-speed wouldn’t align well with the power curve of the motor. I don’t know if that’s true or if that’s noticeable in the real world. The bike is too new for anyone to have tried this yet. I also think a pair of MTB shorts with padding will help with the numbness. Mountain bikers use them (something like the EZ RUN 3D Padded MTB cycling shorts). I hope this helps and keep us updated!

PS - I’ve read that the 105 and ultegra FRONT derailleurs work with our Tiagra. I wish Yamaha would’ve charged us another $500 for a 105 group set. But since Shimano only makes them in 11-speed now, maybe that wasn’t an option.

Thanks, I’ll buy them today!!

Just a note: the power output from the display is limited. Depending on what device you're hooking up to it, it may not charge it at all. My DJI Action Camera charges while recording. My GoPro Hero 9 will keep it's battery level but will not charge. My iPhone 11 Max Pro will recharge very slowly depending if the screen is on full bright, GPS, BT services on.

Sure thing Greydog, I live in San Diego so quite far from Twin Cities. I’d also like to upgrade the group set to the 105’s. But, I’ve heard the 105’s are now 11-speed and Yamaha says the Civante motor was programmed to work as a 10-speed. Changing the group set to an 11-speed wouldn’t align well with the power curve of the motor. I don’t know if that’s true or if that’s noticeable in the real world. The bike is too new for anyone to have tried this yet. I also think a pair of MTB shorts with padding will help with the numbness. Mountain bikers use them (something like the EZ RUN 3D Padded MTB cycling shorts). I hope this helps and keep us updated!

PS - I’ve read that the 105 and ultegra FRONT derailleurs work with our Tiagra. I wish Yamaha would’ve charged us another $500 for a 105 group set. But since Shimano only makes them in 11-speed now, maybe that wasn’t an option.
Drew at Yamaha said the ten speed is more durable. I'd read that 11 speeds are just as durable (at Cycling Tips), but that was for non ebike applications.

As for 105, you could also reach back to the 105 5700 (2 generations ago) which is 10 speed. Though maybe the new derailleur can do just 10 speeds?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210401-130310_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20210401-130310_Brave.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 202
Drew at Yamaha said the ten speed is more durable. I'd read that 11 speeds are just as durable (at Cycling Tips), but that was for non ebike applications.

As for 105, you could also reach back to the 105 5700 (2 generations ago) which is 10 speed. Though maybe the new derailleur can do just 10 speeds?

Wow, GREAT

You can still find 105 10 speed gear. I have no interest in 11 spd. The 11 spd chains probably would not hold up to the torque. My interest in 105 is that the 105 Brifters shift better than Tiagra. A 105 rear derailleur also shifts a little smoother. The fronts are about the same. And a 105 or Ultegra crankset will be lighter than what ever is on the bike now, but I am not sure if they would work with the motor. The bottom bracket is a square taper and I don't believe 105 and higher gear use a square taper. I think that my best bet to lighten the bike is to go for a good road wheel set as I prefer narrow tires.

I will do some minor upgrades with the tires, pedals, seat post and stem for now and consider other changes in a year. I am really looking forward to riding and enjoying the bike. Major tinkering will be fun as I can do some of the work myself but it will have to wait.

Oski, I am jealous that you live in San Diego. It is one of my favorite places to visit. My brother lived in Seal Beach and my mother lived in Laguna Woods. I would fly out and visit 3 times a year. I would always wonder why I am living in frozen Minnesota and everyone is out biking or running in the middle of January in sunny California.

You can still find 105 10 speed gear. I have no interest in 11 spd. The 11 spd chains probably would not hold up to the torque. My interest in 105 is that the 105 Brifters shift better than Tiagra. A 105 rear derailleur also shifts a little smoother. The fronts are about the same. And a 105 or Ultegra crankset will be lighter than what ever is on the bike now, but I am not sure if they would work with the motor. The bottom bracket is a square taper and I don't believe 105 and higher gear use a square taper. I think that my best bet to lighten the bike is to go for a good road wheel set as I prefer narrow tires.

I will do some minor upgrades with the tires, pedals, seat post and stem for now and consider other changes in a year. I am really looking forward to riding and enjoying the bike. Major tinkering will be fun as I can do some of the work myself but it will have to wait.

Oski, I am jealous that you live in San Diego. It is one of my favorite places to visit. My brother lived in Seal Beach and my mother lived in Laguna Woods. I would fly out and visit 3 times a year. I would always wonder why I am living in frozen Minnesota and everyone is out biking or running in the middle of January in sunny California.
Lol - yes, we have one month of winter (January). But we can go cycling year-round. If you’re ever in San Diego, we should go on a ride. Btw - I also am considering the 105 for the smoother shifters and rear derailleur. I don’t mind the weight of the Tiagra crankset (I think the crankset would only save us 200g). I shouldn’t upgrade the derailleurs until they need to be replaced. But I’m impatient so we shall see lol

Back