2020 Allant 9.9S Grinding Noise from motor or is it?

This can be a very interesting discussion. Is it 'damage' or is it 'defect'? This is the question. Is the problem/noise/issue related possibly to early production units? I got my bike delivered on December 12, 2019. Much like a 1st year run on anything, could this be a problem not realized because of reasons that were dismissed or overlooked? I called the Bosch Support line yesterday, explained the situation to the representative, he was not aware of MY problem, but WAS aware of the problem of the Alaskan, so with my call and the Alaskan's similar issue, things possibly got moving along. In the conversation the Bosch rep said that the Gen 4 system was in planning, design, development and testing since 2017. One might question how that was done.

Key here is that hopefully it's addressed, resolved and moving forward not to recur. Mentally, it's like having a new exotic supercar (or not?), having a motor, transmission or other major component go belly up and then the car has to be disassembled to the point of accessibility and then reassembled. I do understand that the motor, the 'film', the whole install of a Bosch motor is simplistic when compared to my example, but it's the point. Rip it out, put it back. Will it be as good as new, better or worse? Sometimes that depends on who is doing the work. Sometimes it depends on the inventory on the shelf. Sometimes it doesn't matter, bad year, avoid like the plague, wait for the bugs to be worked out and choose the next revision.

Hopefully I make my point. I'm just frustrated that now, here we go again, if it ain't this it's that.

Interesting point GuruUno. In my opinion - maybe brands like Bosch should start sending out notices to their customers when a product has a recall/issue happen. They would notify customers who own the affected product - similar to how the car industry handles recalls. Wishful thinking.

... Mine currently has 400 miles and is fine.

I'm at about 350 miles and all is good. In fact, I did a light drive-train cleaning this past weekend and on two rides total 30 miles since, it seemed the bike is quieter and smoother in its shifting. I'm wondering if the electric-whine noise of the Gen 4 motor really is starting to diminish or if I'm just acclimating? ... as an aside, I still say the Gen 3 Active Line on my Tern Vektron Gen 2 is the quietest motor I've experienced - I really cannot hear it. Back to the Allant: based on these threads, I've been listening very intently for anything amiss. The hub is loud in its clicking noise. No motor noise outside of the whine that I can detect. Wonder if we'll start seeing this on other threads for bikes with Bosch Gen 4 PL Speed motors?

...In the conversation the Bosch rep said that the Gen 4 system was in planning, design, development and testing since 2017. One might question how that was done.
That could be a wholly accurate statement: Sometime in the year 2017 there was an internal meeting at Bosch where it was proposed to update the electric bike motors. That constitutes "planning". Unfortunately that statement doesn't preclude a situation where Bosch may not have started development and testing until 2019! And perhaps beta testing is still underway...

I have the same problem with my 2020 Trek Allant 9.9S. Not so much a "grinding" sound but more like a "creaking" that is in synch with the cadence - making it sound like a choo choo train. I am pretty sure that the sound is originating in the rear hub (Shimano Deore XT) and it is not the bearings in the motor (Bosche Performance Speed). It is driving me bonkers. Tried various torque settings on the thru axle as well as the cassette lock ring. I cannot figure out this particular free-hub, it does not make the normal coasting "clicking" sound a free-hub makes until the wheel RPMs are low. Regardless - I am taking my e-bike in tomorrow to get looked at. Cannot take this noisy ride any more. I will let you know what I find out.

My noise was only when pedaling and only pushing fairly hard, like up a hill or in too low a gear. On easy, low torque pedaling no noise and it stopped as soon as i stopped pedaling. I would think that a hub noise would persist even after a person stopped pedaling. It was rhythmic scratchy noise the occurred at every down stroke of each leg, twice per 360 degree rotation of the cranks. The motor replacement has been confirmed now my local Trek shop is waiting for the new motor to arrive from Bosch. My Allant is expected to be back under my fanny this time next week.

That does sound like the same symptoms that I am experiencing - only on my Allant 9.9S it occurs all the time now (even under low torque conditions and in all gears). When I ride through a bike tunnel it is deafening. I have to turn up the volume on my podcasts just to drown out the relentless creaking. I am back to riding my road bike to work until I can get this resolved. I will relay this info to my bike shop tomorrow. Thanks!

My noise was only when pedaling and only pushing fairly hard, like up a hill or in too low a gear. On easy, low torque pedaling no noise and it stopped as soon as i stopped pedaling. I would think that a hub noise would persist even after a person stopped pedaling. It was rhythmic scratchy noise the occurred at every down stroke of each leg, twice per 360 degree rotation of the cranks. The motor replacement has been confirmed now my local Trek shop is waiting for the new motor to arrive from Bosch. My Allant is expected to be back under my fanny this time next week.

My exact experience

I'm at the end of my rope.
I just got a call from the local bike shop, they are now asking me to supply them with a video.
HUH? I already extracted the portion needed, filtered out the background and wind noise, posted it here, supplied it to them, they (the local LBS) rode the bike, agreed the noise exists, and informed me that they would be in touch. That is almost a week ago tomorrow.
Alaskan, did you have this much trouble to get your LBS to step it up?
Can you share your experience, method, process?
I'd love to discuss it with you and if you want I can send you my phone # via private message.
Anyone else have their experience to share?

My Trek LBS which is only a mile from my house, has a great group of people working there. The mechanic is top notch and the manager is as helpful and friendly as they come. They are closed to the public, except on an appointment basis. They are keeping all their people employed keeping everyone's bikes running. the manager is doing bike pickup and drop off using their Sprinter van. face masks gloves, hand sanitizer and complete wipe down of the bike going in to the shop and then again when the work is done before loading into the van for delivery.

Last Monday the 14th, I started out on a ride and noticed the noise. I called my trek store when the noise turned up. They came by with the van and picked up my Allant at my house the next day. On Wednesday I noticed the sound file you posted I shared with them. By Thursday they had been in contact with both Trek and Bosch and forwarded the sound file along with their confirmation that it was identical to what they found on my bike. Friday the manager called me to say that the likely outcome will be a new motor from Bosch. Tuesday the 21st the manger confirmed hat will be happening as soon as they get the motor from Bosch.

Last edited:
My Trek LBS which is only a mile from my house, has a great group of people working there. The mechanic is top notch and the manager is as helpful and friendly as they come. They to the public, except on an appointment basis. They are keeping all their people employed keeping everyone's bikes running. the manager is doing bike pickup and drop off using their Sprinter van. face masks gloves, hand sanitizer and complete wipe down of the bike going in to the shop and then again when the work is done before loading into the van for delivery.ibke

Last Monday the 14th, I started out on a ride and noticed the noise. I called my trek store when the noise turned up. They came by with the van and picked up my Allant at my house the next day. On Wednesday I noticed the sound file you posted I shared with them. By Thursday they had been in contact with both Trek and Bosch and forwarded the sound file along with their confirmation that it was identical to what they found on my bike. Friday the manager called me to say that the likely outcome will be a new motor from Bosch. Tuesday the 21st the manger confirmed hat will be happening as soon as they get the motor from Bosch.
There are no unbreakable e-bikes, despite of the price, it seems...

Mine has just over 300 miles on it.
Hi everybody, I’m new to this forum and also ride an Allant 9.9. I am also experiencing the same grinding noise from my bike. I took delivery on February 20th and have 296 miles on it. Dropped it off at my LBS yesterday.

My noise was definitely coming from the motor. It only made the rhythmic scratchy noise when applying substantial force to the pedals. Turn off the motor and pedal without assist. If it stops when you stop pedaling and in on beat with the cadence of the cranks it is in the motor not the hub. Mine was as described and in the motor. Bosch is sending a warranty replacement.

Interesting point GuruUno. In my opinion - maybe brands like Bosch should start sending out notices to their customers when a product has a recall/issue happen. They would notify customers who own the affected product - similar to how the car industry handles recalls. Wishful thinking.
Bosch's ebike motor customers are bike manufacturers, not end users. If there was a recall, it would be by Trek et al.

Waiting to hear from my bike shop re results from corrective maintenance. If they have success changing out the rear hub, then my bikes’ symptom is a different one that what is being discussed on this thread. Would like to send you a video I recorded from my iphone of the problem. The format is not recognized here so i need to spend some time reformatting it.

My dealer has informed me that they have been authorized by Bosch/Trek to replace the motor. 4/24/2020

Back